Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Good morning from the East Coast USA - just two days to go (or one or less for some). Heading to our best veggie stand and then the grocery store for the big buy...today and tomorrow will be meal prep for protein meals that easily freeze and taste just as good as fresh.

This has already been mentioned by a couple of folks, but I thought worth mentioning again. Last Sept, my first Whole30, I told people and convinced my self this was really Whole30+12 or 15.... The Reintro process takes 3 days per food group and is really important. I had thought my severe sinus and post nasal drip problems (which were quite life intrusive) were due to dairy products. But I found out it was gluten! I won't need to do a formal reintro this time, since I already have cut out most legumes, and virtually all gluten.

I know I can tolerate 5-7 servings of dairy a week (usually cheese!) and have stuck with coconut milk in my coffee. I now know that too much sugar in any form messes with my energy level and skin. I can tolerate corn chips if nothing crazy is added, and a little corn now and again. And I know that gluten and soy sneaks into many sauces, prepared meals at restaurants! I am looking forward to this structure again, the summer months tend to be crazy, and the wine needs to stay on the shelf for awhile!

Good luck in your prep today!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here's a check in. Off to work....ate Meal 1 coffee black which surprisingly I like! I have four hours in the demo stand. Must. Keep. Mouth. Shut! After that it will be a breeze. Anyone else have trouble with unconscious eating? Hope you all have a good day of clearing out and gearing up!

Anyone else have trouble with unconscious eating? 

Me!! I've suffered from disordered eating behaviors for almost 45 years now, started when I was 14 and still battling it at 58. When I come across food that I wasn't expecting to see, I tend to eat first and think later. That could be problematic! I'm trying to figure out a way to remind myself constantly what it is I want to accomplish in the next 30-45 days. 

Hi everyone! I finished day 2 yesterday! I hope y'all don't mind that I'm a few days ahead... I just needed to start and couldn't put it off anymore! Another wonderful food day in the books yesterday.... Made a trip to Costco to stock up on even more delicious foods! Here's what I ate yesterday:

M1: eggs, leftover citrus Cauli rice, bacon, coffee and kombucha

M2: smoked salmon, kalamata olives, homemade mayo on greens, grapes

M3: chocolate chili on spaghetti squash, handful of macadamia nuts

M4: sausage fed to me enthusiastically by a two year old. :) And decaf coffee with coconut milk.

I have to say that eating this way is just so incredibly satisfying! I feel like a gastro queen! Since it sounds like a lot of you are worried about the whole coffee/creamer thing.... Can I suggest buying great quality coffee, adding a pinch of salt to the pot to take away some of the bitterness, and the adding frothed full fat coconut milk? I am a reformed Moca frappacino drinker, and I can honestly tell you that I truly enjoy coffee this way so much more. It's so rich and aromatic. I even invested in a coffee pot that froths the milk, and it's so much fun! Hope that helps!

Xo,

Michelle

@michellemahi...what are you putting in with your cauli rice to make it "citrus"?  It sounds good and like something I might want to try for a change of pace at some point this month. 

I also totally second the opinion that if you are facing the coffee challenge, treating yourself to some really good coffee might put you in the right frame of mind to enjoy it black.  If you go in to that first sip with the expectation of a rich full-body and incredibly aromatic coffee, you might be able to trick your mind into accepting this as a new coffee experience, different, but deeply satisfying.  I love black coffee myself so it's easy to wax poetic about it but if you give it a chance, especially as the mornings start to get a bit more chilly, I think you might surprise yourself by how enjoyable it is.  I also want to point out that blonde roasts can get a bad rap as being "weaker" or "watered down" somehow and that actually the "blonde" refers only to how long the beans are roasted...in my opinion blonde or even honey roasts (where part of the coffee cherry is left on the bean during roasting) are smooth and taste so much more like coffee than the darker or French roasts so they may be a better choice for those more accustomed to light coffees.  There are lots of tips out there on making coffee with stuff in it to try and replicate that creamy frou-frou coffee, but while you are changing the way you approach food and looking forward to a cleaner more natural diet....think about overhauling your coffee experience as well. 

Just to be clear, I've nothing at all against adding something to your coffee (as described in Michellemahi's post there are ways to make that fantastic as well) just want to add my own encouragement that there is a lot to enjoy about a great cup of coffee on it's own merits! 

I also really enjoy cold brew coffee and have often made that with some toasted coconut mixed in with the coffee grounds while they soak, the result is a seriously delicious pour-over-ice. 

Having to mix things up a bit this weekend, after spending all day yesterday serving food at a funeral and tending to people I'm wiped out and woke up to some plumbing problems that mean we will have no water for most of the day today.  Dee-lightful.  Luckily I picked a crock-pot meal for lunches next week and that can steam along on it's own without creating a sink full of dirty dishes.  I may need Monday after all for some final prep to feel like I'm truly geared up and focused.  Although I won't be counting it as my start day per se, I have been eating nearly exclusively Whole30 since June anyway so it's academic on that front and I really want some time to take a deep breath and center myself on the goals I've set for this 30-day challenge.  My other goal for today is to get my yoga "studio" setup for my new morning practice which mostly means setting up the music and picking a scented candle, aiming to make it a spa-like wakeup experience, ROFL!  I said I was going to suffer with you, not that I wasn't going to do it in style!

Those of you planning to launch in tomorrow, don't forget to take a deep breath yourself...review your goals...make sure you have what you need for tomorrow lined up.  Don't pull a "me" and walk out the door without your lunch for example.  But do slow down for a few minutes this evening even if it means putting something off for later and remind yourself of the commitment you are making to yourself and to us....yup your are part of the group now and we need and want you all.  No matter how overwhelmed you feel right now behind your confident face, we won't let you fail if you stick with us.  And if you do stick with us, no matter what your other results may be, you are going to feel so exhilarated when you can finally say..."I totally did it.  I made a goal, I challenged myself, it was HARD, and I still killed it.  Frankly, I rock." 

If you get nothing else out of this, the confidence boost of that alone is worth the thirty days. 

I will also be starting Sept 1st. This is my first time and hope that having others going through this at the same time will help me stay on track.

I signed up for the daily emails.

Need to loose 20-30lbs. But mostly want to feel better and not be out of breath just walking up stairs.

I'm in also.  Did my 1st Whole30 in January but caved at the 3rd week mark.  I've been meaning to start again since but had one excuse or another.  Just finished a produce wellness challenge at work so hopefully that will help me this month.  Looking forward to doing this with you all!!

Susan

Starting August 31. I'm already gluten free, dairy free and caffeine free, but really feel that grains (including rice and corn) and sugar are keeping me from better health. i have 4 goals for the program 1) increased energy 2) decreased sugar craving 3) decreased belly bloating 4) healthier gut activity (nuff said). Looking forward to being part of the group!

Hi Everyone --

I'm wondering how everyone is doing with their meal planning.

I thought that following their 7 day meal plan would be helpful and make my first week easier.

But, I just made my shopping list for the meals and I'm completely overwhelmed by the amount of food I need to buy.  I'm not sure I even have enough room in my fridge for all this food.

I know that planning is a huge part of the program and I know that it's important for my success.   I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and was hoping for some tips that could make this a bit simpler.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My roommate and I are starting also on September 1st!

We figured this would be a great time to jump in sooner rather than later, because of those delicious tempations around Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, which is just around the corner.

Excited to join in with you!

Hi! Checking in today. It's great to read all the posts and know that others are struggling, planning, winning, and all else that goes along with a life change.

Somewhere in these posts--can't find it now--one of the advanced members mentioned their fave roasted cashews and found they were roasted in peanut oil. I want to thank you! Made me go back to my cabinet and find that the cashews I bought (prior to making this change in diet) are roasted in peanut oil! Yeesh! Need to get those out AND I then went to my supplements and found the VItamin D I've been taking is made with soybean oil and corn oil! Need to go back to my pantry cleanse today and REALLY read all the labels!

Again thanks for the original post about the cashews! I would have probably just have snacked on mine thinking they were okay.

Hi Everyone --

I'm wondering how everyone is doing with their meal planning.

I thought that following their 7 day meal plan would be helpful and make my first week easier.

But, I just made my shopping list for the meals and I'm completely overwhelmed by the amount of food I need to buy. I'm not sure I even have enough room in my fridge for all this food.

I know that planning is a huge part of the program and I know that it's important for my success. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and was hoping for some tips that could make this a bit simpler.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I know meal planning is seen as essential by so many here but I've never done it. The idea horrifies me to be honest!

I shop every few days and whilst I cook big pots of things (chilli, goulash etc), make mayo a lot and roast whole chickens and a few potatoes at once I don't plan when I'm eating them or what I'll do with the chicken (or other meat I buy) until I come to cook for that meal. I look in the fridge, see what I fancy eating (or what my son is begging for...usually steak!) and cook from what we have. The leftover chicken, for example, could become fajitas (in lettuce leaves with roasted pepper strips), curry (Thai or Indian), just heated up with veg, in a pie topped with mashed root veg, in cauli rice as a "risotto" or in other ways.

That said I don't look at recipes online very often, I cook the recipes I've always cooked with alterations to make them whole30. That way I know what I need and how to cook them without ingredients I may never use again.

I think you have to work out what works for YOU ;)

Good morning from the East Coast USA - just two days to go (or one or less for some). Heading to our best veggie stand and then the grocery store for the big buy...today and tomorrow will be meal prep for protein meals that easily freeze and taste just as good as fresh.

This has already been mentioned by a couple of folks, but I thought worth mentioning again. Last Sept, my first Whole30, I told people and convinced my self this was really Whole30+12 or 15.... The Reintro process takes 3 days per food group and is really important. I had thought my severe sinus and post nasal drip problems (which were quite life intrusive) were due to dairy products. But I found out it was gluten! I won't need to do a formal reintro this time, since I already have cut out most legumes, and virtually all gluten.

I know I can tolerate 5-7 servings of dairy a week (usually cheese!) and have stuck with coconut milk in my coffee. I now know that too much sugar in any form messes with my energy level and skin. I can tolerate corn chips if nothing crazy is added, and a little corn now and again. And I know that gluten and soy sneaks into many sauces, prepared meals at restaurants! I am looking forward to this structure again, the summer months tend to be crazy, and the wine needs to stay on the shelf for awhile!

Good luck in your prep today!

I love the way you went in thinking about reintro as an extention of the program -- I may lean on you a bit as we get to the end of the 30 days... I tend to sabotage by not taking a clear and specific approach and then just sort of fall face first back into my old diet at the end of the program. It'd been a bit better each time I do it, but I want real clarity (and true healing) this time! Thanks for sharing. I'm inspired by your level of commitment and the clear results you've received from it.

I am brand new to Whole30 and my husband and I will be starting tomorrow September 1st! It may be a mistake to start now seeing as we have 3 birthday events this coming month but I am sure there is never a perfect month to start. Looking forward to feeling better and getting my health and weight under control!

Crimsann - I usually use the Citrus Cauli rice recipe from the Well Fed 2 cookbook. It is just the riced cauliflower, chopped onion, lemon or lime zest and lemon or lime juice. And then tons of fresh chopped parsley. I just love how fresh tasting and comforting it is! I'm always a bit sad when I use up the last of the leftovers. I do my morning eggs over easy on top of the rice with an avocado and maybe some cilantro if I've got it. Zesty fresh breakfast. If I didn't have the Well Fed cookbooks, I would weep. Lol, they are so good!

Xo,

Michelle

Ps - good luck to everyone starting tomorrow! You can do it! It's hard, but so worth it!

I am following the 7-day meal plan the first week. I live alone so I'll get some meals for the freezer from the recipes as well. I am only purchasing fresh produce and seafood for 3 days at a time. I don't want it to go bad by the end of the week and I may change my mind. I also read through all the recipes and there variations and in that way I was able to reduce the number of different produce items I purchase. I already have the meat and poultry in my freezer. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/also have an easier batch cooking plan and she is affiliated with Whole30 so it is all compliant. She has plans for 3 week and a shopping list for each week. I'll use her methods sometimes, too.

Starting September 1st. It's in writing, so it must be true. Strange how I can be sick of being tired and out of shape from the processed foods I eat, yet terrified of giving up my fake friends. They always make me feel better....for a little while. Shopping and preparation tomorrow. First time ever "putting it out there" for everyone to see! Here we go!

I hit the grocery store today.  I made sure I replaced any spices and seasonings that are low while I was at it.  I have a big pot of bone broth simmering on the stove as I type this and it smell so delicous!  I think tomorrow will be a pretty relaxed pace of final preparation.  Mostly I can't wait for Tuesday! 

Best of luck to everyone preparing their kitchen for September.  You've got this! 

I am in!  Love eating a Paleo lifestyle....but have gotten WAY off....making excuses for cheating almost every day.  Need to get my head in the game....need to get control of my eating and control when I am with friends and family!  

Archived