Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made it! And I have no intention of stopping. This was a fantastic revalation into how food was affecting mmy body and moods. I did weigh and I'm down 3 pounds and I'm happy with that for at 74 that's good. I've lost a total of 7 inches! I'm breathing a lot better and haven't had to use my rescue inhaler (COPD) at the gym for 2 weeks. Just goes to show how much inflammation I had. My energy is great. In fact, I have a hard time sitting still. I added another class to my rountine at the Y this week - Zumba Gold (the gold means its a little scaled down for seniors). I've decided to stay on this journey for another 30 days to further cement the good habits I've learned and also because I don't really miss any food except cheese and that is only a passing though now and then.

Congratulations team!

Ok, I have some ideas!! First of all, this way of eating obviously improves energy levels, so that helps get things done. But check this out: The Whole30 style of eating also has a major impact on your BRAIN and the efficiency of your neurobiological systems. Whole foods and healthy fats actually support neurotransmitter function and help boost all kinds of "happy chemicals" in your brain. Eating a clean diet and keeping your stress levels in check will boost your focusing power, performance and cognitive ability... as well as improve and stabilize your moods. The healthy fats in particular build up the myelin sheath, a cholesterol-enriched nerve cell insulator in your brain (which helps your neurons fire efficiently). 

Seriously folks, there is hard science on this stuff, and more and more research is coming out all the time on the subject! Try reading the excellent book "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross, who deftly and skillfully points out the link between good nutrition and a well functioning brain (which equals good MOOD)... a-m-a-z-i-n-g!! Another great book on the subject is "Why Isn't My Brain Working?" by Datis Kharrazian (basically, everyone who owns a brain should read this one!).

Thanks for this, will be looking for the books.

I'm spending my last day home in bed. I feel much better than I did at 3am but still called for a sub. I'm in the not weighing section. I haven't weighed myself in years and I suffer from mild body dysmorphia, so weighing is a trigger. I love that whole30 has broken my calorie counting addiction and I feel my relationship with food is better than it's been in years. My snacking problem is also  under control. It seemed like I was always eating and now I can manage with 3 meals a day. I'll be doing another strict whole30 in March before we go to Hawaii in April but I'm keeping paleo and mostly whole30 for now. 

I didn't think I could do it without calorie counting, but it really has been very freeing to get away from this and focus on the important things.  For me, that was mainly- how am I going to feed myself 3 meals through a crazy, hectic, long day.  So glad and surprised about this aspect.

Had my Hospital appointment- Since 1st June when I started my first whole30 I've lost 10lb!! Whoop whoop. I went straight home and got my 'skinny' clothes out of the loft and most of them fit!! -(I can't find my favourite jeans- think I may have thrown them away in a fit of despair!!) 

I haven't gone off plan- don't really want to at the moment, I'm out tonight but will choose something compliant and I'm eating at a friends tomorrow- no idea what she's cooking but I'll play it by ear, also I've offered to bring dessert so at least they'll be no offence at me not having any!! (Or I'll take strawberries or something similar)

Alright you guys!! Day 32 and I think I finally have a second to realize I've completed the whole30(32)! Yay!! So many victories I don't even know where to begin. I have most of the NSV on the list. Some big ones:

1. More energy

2. More stable mood/happier

3. More regulated sleep/waking up without an alarm clock!!

4. Healthier relationship with food/no roller coaster or emotional eating.

5. Taking care of my needs better

6. Better glowy skin/shinier hair/brighter eyes

7. Flatter tummy/less digestive stress & IBS, GERD symptoms (I did Low FODMAP too)

8. I had planned on running straight towards a cocktail on day 31, but didn't want it.

9. Able to perform at my work better-I have grueling hours! (I'm a freelance cellist)

10. Better at quickly! Prepping food for the day as simple as it needs to be for my time constraints.

Ok- scale victory:

I lost 19 lbs!

(Don't be concerned if it seems high, I imagine a lot of that was gas from my out of control IBS). But feeling great about the number and my one size smaller pants that were waiting for me on my shelf!

Going to do a reintro of:

Day 1: Alcohol

Day 4: fodmap- polyols

Day 7: fodmap- fructose

And 10/10 I have a wedding to go to- still figuring out what I want to do there...then I plan on doing another whole30 (hoping to add in more veggies)-I already know Oligos and lactose are no good for me).

Moderators- let me know if this sounds like a good plan. :)

Thanks for all of your support!!

Jodmaxfeldts,

I just have to tell you I love the way you think! Your going to make your Tante Ide's day for sure! The scale thing I might be with you on that too... The clothes fit is as good an indicator as any. I am 5 10 and even at my super in shape late teens weighed a lot... The scale is always going to show a higher number for me... When you weigh yourself it becomes about that. Not how you feel, your strength, endurance...

Well, it's day 31! Congrats and thanks to all of you. For me the benefits have been in my energy level and my mood. I have been struggling with depression since my separation 2 years ago this month. I finally feel like I don't have a cloud hanging over my head. I am a little disappointed that I didn't lose much weight, 3.5lbs, my clothes fit the same and my measurements are identical. I have been power walking at least 3 times a week with hand weights for 90 mins though ! Yay me! which is a lot more exercise than I have done in years...and I hope to continue. Hope everyone has a fabulous day

Keep up the good work, Corinne and don't discount 3.5 pounds.  I did a nutrition class decades ago and at the end the instructor brought in plastic replicas of reasonable sized portions of many different foods.  She also brought in one for 5 pounds of fat and it was huge!  When you spread it over our height, it's not as impressive but your heart knows the difference.  Your continued exercise program is sure to pay off with size changes.

Hi all!!

So happy, relieved and PROUD of everyone!!  I weighed in this morning, took measurements and after pictures.  I respect so many people who are continuing their journey without checking in on the scale.  Honestly, I couldn't wait to jump on that flat piece of dumb plastic, and I'm a little ashamed to admit it lol.  Here's what I ended with:

Rid myself of 1.5" on my bust, 2.5" on my waist, and 1.5" on my hips.  Said goodbye to 17lbs!  (I don't know if I'm allowed to post those numbers in this thread so moderator(s) please feel free to edit and accept my apology!!)

It feels great to have shed those inches and pounds BUT it just goes to show that I had a MAJOR food addiction and problem.  Thank God for the Whole30 program and helping me develop a proper mindset with food.  I'm confident in my choices now.  I feel like an adult...finally!!

WOW! That's an amazing change.  You must be thrilled.  Happy for you and all who are feeling better with clean eating.

Alright you guys!! Day 32 and I think I finally have a second to realize I've completed the whole30(32)! Yay!! So many victories I don't even know where to begin. I have most of the NSV on the list. Some big ones:

1. More energy

2. More stable mood/happier

3. More regulated sleep/waking up without an alarm clock!!

4. Healthier relationship with food/no roller coaster or emotional eating.

5. Taking care of my needs better

6. Better glowy skin/shinier hair/brighter eyes

7. Flatter tummy/less digestive stress & IBS, GERD symptoms (I did Low FODMAP too)

8. I had planned on running straight towards a cocktail on day 31, but didn't want it.

9. Able to perform at my work better-I have grueling hours! (I'm a freelance cellist)

10. Better at quickly! Prepping food for the day as simple as it needs to be for my time constraints.

Ok- scale victory:

I lost 19 lbs!

(Don't be concerned if it seems high, I imagine a lot of that was gas from my out of control IBS). But feeling great about the number and my one size smaller pants that were waiting for me on my shelf!

Going to do a reintro of:

Day 1: Alcohol

Day 4: fodmap- polyols

Day 7: fodmap- fructose

And 10/10 I have a wedding to go to- still figuring out what I want to do there...then I plan on doing another whole30 (hoping to add in more veggies)-I already know Oligos and lactose are no good for me).

Moderators- let me know if this sounds like a good plan. :)

Thanks for all of your support!!

So many NSVs and a huge weight loss.  You must be thrilled beyond words.  Heartiest congrats on all your successes.

Hi everyone! Well, I lost 20 lbs. I tried to introduce a little milk in my coffee, only 2 tbs and I bloated and felt sick. Today I left my lunch and waller at home and we had a party at work. Despite there being every temptation under the sun I made the best choices I could and had a bit of desert. Just a bit. My stomach felt so weird and I felt like crap. Just reinforces that I want to stay as compliant as possible from now on! Well, I've been up for 20 hrs. Gotta rest! Rock in my friends!

Archived