Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Day 0 everyone!  Just a note of encouragement to those who mentioned being nervous....I think that's probably a good thing.  I am betting that if you are really absorbing the material and planning ahead enough to suspect this isn't going to be all sunshine and daisies, you will probably be better prepared for the rough patches.  Or at least expecting them and ready to push past them!  

While I'm far more confident of my ability to stay compliant and not actually starve to death, I will admit I'm a bit on edge about the added challenge I'm taking on this month myself.    Those nerves mean you are taking it seriously and that you are cognizant of the scope of what you are challenging yourself with.  Those nerves can help drive you to success if you keep them pushing you in the right direction and don't allow them to take over entirely. 

Day 1, everyone feels fantastic and in control, so don't forget to revel in it because ::spoiler alert:: that doesn't last.  Timeline says so and timeline is nearly always right.  Except when it says nearly everyone quits on Day 11, I think that has to be a gimmick to keep you in the game.  How many people read that and thought "oh no chance I'm quitting THAT day no matter what it takes!!!!"  Everyone who just raised their hand is my kind of people. 

I love all the optimism too, don't get me wrong, we need that coming across every day you can muster it up because the confidence of a few can literally carry the rest.  Your up days and down days will all be different and that's the primary reason, in my opinion, why these groups work for people when going solo doesn't.  Do not feel like you shouldn't speak up on the days when everyone else is struggling and you feel great, I battled that temptation during my first Whole30...I didn't want to be "that person" who made it sound all easy and stuff.  I would, however, challenge everyone to try and bring something positive to each post, even if it reads like "the whole thing bites....hate everyone, everything, and every vegetable...oh and fine Crimsann, but my celery was crunchy today, there is your positive outlook". 

Was just reading through my Day 0 Whole 30 Daily and it talked about setting down your goals for the month. What are everyone's goals or intentions they want to accomplish by the end of the 30 days?

Mine are:

- More stabilized mood and energy levels

- Get back to meditating each morning

- Cut down on screen time, especially while eating

- More fun (don't let the back to school schedule rule our lives this month)

Happy Day 0 everyone!  Just a note of encouragement to those who mentioned being nervous....I think that's probably a good thing.  I am betting that if you are really absorbing the material and planning ahead enough to suspect this isn't going to be all sunshine and daisies, you will probably be better prepared for the rough patches.  Or at least expecting them and ready to push past them!  

While I'm far more confident of my ability to stay compliant and not actually starve to death, I will admit I'm a bit on edge about the added challenge I'm taking on this month myself.    Those nerves mean you are taking it seriously and that you are cognizant of the scope of what you are challenging yourself with.  Those nerves can help drive you to success if you keep them pushing you in the right direction and don't allow them to take over entirely. 

Day 1, everyone feels fantastic and in control, so don't forget to revel in it because ::spoiler alert:: that doesn't last.  Timeline says so and timeline is nearly always right.  Except when it says nearly everyone quits on Day 11, I think that has to be a gimmick to keep you in the game.  How many people read that and thought "oh no chance I'm quitting THAT day no matter what it takes!!!!"  Everyone who just raised their hand is my kind of people. 

I love all the optimism too, don't get me wrong, we need that coming across every day you can muster it up because the confidence of a few can literally carry the rest.  Your up days and down days will all be different and that's the primary reason, in my opinion, why these groups work for people when going solo doesn't.  Do not feel like you shouldn't speak up on the days when everyone else is struggling and you feel great, I battled that temptation during my first Whole30...I didn't want to be "that person" who made it sound all easy and stuff.  I would, however, challenge everyone to try and bring something positive to each post, even if it reads like "the whole thing bites....hate everyone, everything, and every vegetable...oh and fine Crimsann, but my celery was crunchy today, there is your positive outlook". 

Very very wise words, especially about not being afraid to chime in with positivity to help others who are having a rough day. They will in turn be there for you on your rough days :)

Hit the fruit kind of heavy today but anticipated that since part of my goal with Whole30 is to reduce my sugar/sweet cravings. I understand from reading Whole30 that they recommend moderate fruit intake and not trying to use it as a substitute to prop up your sugar addiction. I get the reasoning behind that 110% and I may have higher fruit intake during the initial phase in order to get through this. Anyone else experience this? (side note: I'm not a sugar addict in the classical sense (such as soda, candy, etc.) but definitely overdo natural sweets and treats when not on Whole30!) 

I will be starting tomorrow as well!  I actually started on Sunday, but I could use a couple extra days.  I tried this in August but I only made it 7 days.  :(  My work catered in Panera and I had a salad with sugar in the dressing and it set me off like the Tasmanian Devil.   This time should be smoother since I never completely went back to my old ways.  My joint pain went away around Day 3 last month and now it's back in full force which is why I started yesterday and didn't wait until the first.  The other problem I had in August was that I was losing weight too quickly.  I know many of you might think that's a good problem to have, but I love my workouts and I was bonking something terrible.  I will try to work in more potatoes and good fats this time because last time I was all about meats, eggs, fruit and veggies and not much else.  Here's my helpful hint because I have enjoyed reading everyone else's...

I bake my "hardboiled" eggs.  I put a dozen eggs in a cupcake pan and bake them at 325 for 27 minutes.  They peel great and have a firmer texture than true boiled eggs.  Easy peasy!

Hey all... I am again doing a W30 starting tomorrow.  I have done 7 W30s since 2012 and this is a little like a comfortable sweater for me (a little tighter at the seams that i want).  My last W30 was July 2015 and it went pretty well.  I did not follow the Re-introduction last time (it has been a while since I did the N=1 re-introduction process so this time I plan to follow at least a strict 30 days before doing a strict re-introduction protocol.

I am currently doing a version of CrossFit light (beginner program) and I tend to workout - times per week.

In my family, I am doing this alone as my kids (2) and wife don't follow along.  I do much of the cooking and after 7 previous times doing W30, it is pretty standard for all when "Dad is on plan".  

No lie, the first few days to 1.5 weeks can be pretty tough for some but it is well worth the effort.  I have been there and done that and the process really does work.  I am (obviously) a big fan.

A few tips:

• Plan ahead - don't wing it because hunger makes us all have poor decisions.
  • Eat the 3 squares, even if you don't feel hungry.
  • I spend the most time planning and prepping for Breakfast.  Getting veggies for breakfast is a challenge and I need to plan ahead to ensure I follow the process. I often make Sweet Potato hash with Ground pork, beef or bacon (W30) mixed with onions, peppers and other veggies I have on hand.  
  • Coffee black is pretty good and it can become a new normal with a little time.  I used to drink 1-2 liters of coffee with milk/cream and sweetener every day.  Since my first W30 (2012), I have not had any milk/cream or sweetener in my coffee.  This was my biggest fear and it was easy (after about a week) with no going back for me.
  • Social situations can be tough.  I suggest facing them head on with some pre-planning and preparation rather than avoiding them.  You will need to get used to saying "no" and asking how something was prepared.
  • Eating out can be done but I would focus on home-cooked meals for the first few weeks to allow you to learn at your own pace, with you in control. 
  • Shopping can take 3-4 times longer.  Reading labels takes way more time.
  • Be mindful of how you feel (bad and good).  "Health" has so many levels to it.  Weight loss is only one benefit.  Be mindful of the daily changes.  This process takes a fair amount of effort.  Know that there are rewards (sometimes big ones) if you pay attention.  Clarity of thought, control over cravings, ability to focus, improved mood, are all examples of real meaningful changes that this program brings to my life.  You will find your own reason "why" this is life-changing for you.
  • Cooking exhaustion, same meal boredom and "always doing dishes" are common complaints for the 30 days or more.  Realize this early and it makes it better for you in the long run.  

Good luck with your prep and get rolling with day 1.  I will check in as the month rolls along.

Cheers

DJ

Hey all - I'm starting tomorrow as well. My husband and I did our first 30 days in July, and did pretty well with maintenence till mid Aug, and things have been sliding since. Looking forward to hitting the reset, rediscovering the joy of prepping & cooking, and the unbeatable feeling of strength and empowerment - i felt like wonder woman by the end of the first one. NOT looking forward to the cravings and hangover of the first few days, but here goes! Glad you all are out there with me!

I will be starting my second Whole 30 on September 1st! I did my first Whole 30 July 1st and couldn't belive how wonderful I felt. Our family vacation to Walt Disney World last week derailed me a bit. So for how I felt, I want to go back. I am looking forward to it!!!

Thx
Francine

I'm in. This will be my third Whole30 over the last four years. The sugar dragon needs some slaying. And I'm tired of tummy troubles as the day goes on.

I join this group to hold myself accountable. It somehow feels more "real" now that I've committed publicly.

Good luck all. September is going to pass anyway so it may as well pass as an ultra-healthy 30 days. (Did that make sense!?!)

I'm pumped for tomorrow!

I am starting to get a little nervous. I have had some unexpected things come up and I don't feel like I am well prepared. But, I just don't want to start tomorrow. Any advice to get me through tomorrow? Quick and easy.

One meal at a time. Protein, veg and compliant fat.  :)

Wow, there are a lot of us. I am doing this with my 18 year old daughter who spent the summer eating junk and candy. She is also a vegetarian (which I am not). I have spent the last 6 hrs making veggie stock, a fish chowder, homemade mayo, sunshine sauce, cutting up veggies and clearing cupboards. I am exhausted. I am worried that my daughter will feel hungry due to the restricted options of protein. Any suggestion? There are only so many eggs she will eat and she is fussy about fish. Thankfully she loves veggies. We normally compensate with soy and legumes. I am hoping the nut butters will help a little. i am excited for all the support from the group!

Wow, there are a lot of us. I am doing this with my 18 year old daughter who spent the summer eating junk and candy. She is also a vegetarian (which I am not). I have spent the last 6 hrs making veggie stock, a fish chowder, homemade mayo, sunshine sauce, cutting up veggies and clearing cupboards. I am exhausted. I am worried that my daughter will feel hungry due to the restricted options of protein. Any suggestion? There are only so many eggs she will eat and she is fussy about fish. Thankfully she loves veggies. We normally compensate with soy and legumes. I am hoping the nut butters will help a little. i am excited for all the support from the group!

Note that nuts and nuts butters are a fat on a Whole30, and are advised to be used on a limited basis.

Your daughter may find this article helpful:http://whole30.com/2015/06/veg-whole30/

So 2 days under my belt.....and I am hanging on to the amazing energy I feel. Work is going well even with all that food right under my nose. I actually popped a piece of cheese in my mouth yesterday and then remembered and spit it out! Yes I was sampling cheese for customers for 2 hours! Ugh so tough! Foods been yummy so far but I do find myself hungry within 4 hours. I am chalking it up to my system rebelling against the lack of grazing all day long. I know I can do this. Good luck to all who are starting tomorrow!

Hi everyone! How did everyone who started today make out? And best of luck to those are starting tomorrow! What's your first W30 meal going to be?

Today is day 4 for me. I woke up ready to go at 3:30 this morning. About 2.5 hours earlier than usual, but I had lots of energy so I just went with it. By mid-afternoon I was really struggling with fatigue and this awful headache. Oddly, I still had lots of brain energy even though I have this headache and body tiredness.

Food wise, I'm still really enjoying my meals. And it totally warmed my heart when my two year old climbed up to the table and devoured the giant plate of zucchini noodles with tomatoes, pesto and grilled chicken. Then the little munchkin ate a whole bowl of raspberries. It made me so happy to see my little guy enjoying healthy, fresh, nourishing food. Yay!

Here's what I ate today:

M1: nuts and a banana at 0345. Such a weird time to wake up!

M2: eggs, homemade sausage pattie, avocado half, coffee

M3: Lara bar (emergency so I didn't eat the candy at work when I was waiting to take my lunch break!), chocolate chili with roasted spaghetti squash and sweet potato

M4: Zoodles with roasted tomatoes, pesto, grilled chicken

And I may still have some decaf coffee and some coconut flakes. I am ravenous today! Perhaps because it's day 4, or perhaps because I worked out hard last night, or something. Just trying to go with the flow. I didn't get any veggies in at breakfast this morning, so that could be part of it too.

Have a wonderful evening everyone! Best wishes!

Michelle

Foods been yummy so far but I do find myself hungry within 4 hours. I am chalking it up to my system rebelling against the lack of grazing all day long. I know I can do this. Good luck to all who are starting tomorrow!

If you're hungry in 4 hours, play with the protein, veg and fat portions of your meals until they satiate you for 4-5 hours. Until you get there, if you're genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat.

Hi all,

I'll also be starting my second whole 30 tomorrow!!  I did my first one back in January and was pretty consistent and compliant until the summer with lots of company and traveling.  Time to get back on track. My biggest struggle is with the 'breakfast meal'. I have to be up early and out of the house for work before 5:30 am.  I just hate eating anything, on or off the program, first thing in the morning. Just thinking about having to eat before I leave for work already has my stomach upset.  I'm just trying to not dwell on it and take it one day at a time and looking for more support than I got the first time around.  I hope this group sticks together and we all have a successful time!!

Maria

Archived