Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw people asking for tips.  Now is the time to go through your cabinets, shelves, drawers, freezer, fridge, purses, cars, pockets etc and remove all the non compiant foods and ingredients.  Put them out of sight if you aren't throwing them away.

If you live with anyone who is not able to live without these items, agree to keep those items in quarantine.  Put them in one cabinet or box that you will not use and have them agree not to invade the rest of storage areas with those items.  Designate a shelf in the fridge for those non compliant items and just mentally ban yourself from that part of the fridge.  Seriously though, you might be surprised how well people can live without certain foods when they don't realize they are not having them.  You might be able to sneak a few things out rotation if you don't make a bid deal of it and have other loved and great alternatives available. 

Take advantage of the Whole30 downloads to stock your pantry and fridge.  So many people focus on the meat and stock up on that but I don't really think that's the tough part of preparing. Be prepared to go vegetable shopping more than once a week.  You'll probably eat more vegetables than you ever imagined.  Keep some emergency bags of frozen vegetables in the freezer if you have room.  Squash season is coming so stock up on squash that you can keep on the counter since your fridge could get overloaded with fresh veggies on shopping day and then deplete quickly before you have time to return to the market.  Don't overlook the importance of healthy fat in your Whole30 diet.  Have plenty of sources of it handy: olives, nuts, ghee, coconut manna, coconut oil, avocado, macadamia nuts, etc.  Whatever works for you.  Learn to make mayo, it's easy and delcious.  Fat is your friend when it's from such good sources, embrace it because you'll need it.  Have easy quick snacks available, can of sardines, can of tuna, salad greens, chopped veggies, cashews.  There will be times you are tempted by something or too tired to cook and having something easy yet compliant to grab could make the difference between a successful day and a start-over. 

Pack meals and snacks before you go anywhere.  Even when you do this, eat before you go out to further reduce temptation.   People usually don't realize how many non compliant ingredients are in their sauces and dressings and will swear their dressing is safe for you but then remember later that it had soy sauce or sulfites.  Make a plan now for how you will navigate through any upcoming birthdays or social events. Believe it or not, it won't insult someone if you don't eat a piece of cake or pie or whatever.  

Get some whole30 recipes ready, preferably that will give you leftovers for later in the week.  Insta pots and crock pots are awesome.  If you have one, take advantage of it.

Print this timeline http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/and refer to it often.  Your timing may vary a bit but it will help so much to see that it's normal and even expected as you go through these phases. 

Take your measurements before you begin.  Write them down and then put them away without peaking at them during your 30 days.  Put your scale away The night before it begins too.  Take pictures of yourself. Try on all your clothes.

Plan little non-food rewards for each milestone day.  It's up to you to figure out timing for that.  Pedicures, makeovers, massage, haircut, beach day, ride in the country, new kitchen or bath item, and a new outfit are all nice treats.  Use your imagination and tailor it to yourself. 

And another big thing, don't spend time thinking about what you can't wait to eat after it's over!  Be immersed in your Whole30 and keep your thoughts on compliant foods.  As you get to day 30 you can consider your introduction phase but don't ruin your month torturing yourself with images and thoughts of that stuff.  I highly recommend thinking of this as a 40+ days effort, don't get so caught up in counting off 30 days that you have no will reserved for the introduction phase which takes approximately 10 more days but could be longer.

Do the introduction and do it properly!  Your entire month is largely about this part.  Find out what each and every food group does for or to you and be honest about it.  Pay attention to your emotions after reintroducing something.  Follow the guide of introducing one isolated food group at a time with two days of whole30 eating between groups.  If you already strongly suspect certain things in a food group but think the others are okay then break that group into more than one test day so you will have a more definite answer. 

Hi

Starting September 1st.  Trying to wrap my brain around the changes as I will probably be the only one in the house doing this.  Great to have some support here though.

I was on my own the first time I did Whole30.  I didn't cook separate meals either.  I cooked whole30 and left it open for others to add whatever they felt was missing, and I was pleasantly surprised that my offered meals were deemed complete and fulfilling just as they were.  On my next two Whole30s and on this upcoming one Whole30 is a household event. 

Hi, I am Pearl. I am starting my programm on the 1st of September too. Did not prepare anything yet, I am going back to get all the information (it's a lot!). Succes to the whole group.

Hello everyone!

I am planning to begin this "Whole 30" diet on September 1st! I am brand new to this style of dieting, so I am nervous about it...any words of encouragement or suggestions on meals and food items to eat are welcome!

Thanks!

Katie

Hey everyone,

My husband and I will also be doing a Whole 30 on September 1st! It will be the first for both of us. I'm completely overwhelmed one minute and excited the next. Ultimately, we want to completely revamp how we eat and view food in our daily lives. I want to be accountable though! It's awesome that there is such a great community on here for support and encouragement. 

Looking forward to a great month!

Sharon

Hello All,

I am starting today with the prescribed foods, however I am so addicted to coffee and milk that I will include this until the 1st of September.  Given all the people looking to start on the 1st and the support out there for each other I think this sounds like an achievable plan for me.  Looking forward to it. 

Your in lifestyle food plan changes :)

I just saw people asking for tips.  Now is the time to go through your cabinets, shelves, drawers, freezer, fridge, purses, cars, pockets etc and remove all the non compiant foods and ingredients.  Put them out of sight if you aren't throwing them away.

If you live with anyone who is not able to live without these items, agree to keep those items in quarantine.  Put them in one cabinet or box that you will not use and have them agree not to invade the rest of storage areas with those items.  Designate a shelf in the fridge for those non compliant items and just mentally ban yourself from that part of the fridge.  Seriously though, you might be surprised how well people can live without certain foods when they don't realize they are not having them.  You might be able to sneak a few things out rotation if you don't make a bid deal of it and have other loved and great alternatives available. 

Take advantage of the Whole30 downloads to stock your pantry and fridge.  So many people focus on the meat and stock up on that but I don't really think that's the tough part of preparing. Be prepared to go vegetable shopping more than once a week.  You'll probably eat more vegetables than you ever imagined.  Keep some emergency bags of frozen vegetables in the freezer if you have room.  Squash season is coming so stock up on squash that you can keep on the counter since your fridge could get overloaded with fresh veggies on shopping day and then deplete quickly before you have time to return to the market.  Don't overlook the importance of healthy fat in your Whole30 diet.  Have plenty of sources of it handy: olives, nuts, ghee, coconut manna, coconut oil, avocado, macadamia nuts, etc.  Whatever works for you.  Learn to make mayo, it's easy and delcious.  Fat is your friend when it's from such good sources, embrace it because you'll need it.  Have easy quick snacks available, can of sardines, can of tuna, salad greens, chopped veggies, cashews.  There will be times you are tempted by something or too tired to cook and having something easy yet compliant to grab could make the difference between a successful day and a start-over. 

Pack meals and snacks before you go anywhere.  Even when you do this, eat before you go out to further reduce temptation.   People usually don't realize how many non compliant ingredients are in their sauces and dressings and will swear their dressing is safe for you but then remember later that it had soy sauce or sulfites.  Make a plan now for how you will navigate through any upcoming birthdays or social events. Believe it or not, it won't insult someone if you don't eat a piece of cake or pie or whatever.  

Get some whole30 recipes ready, preferably that will give you leftovers for later in the week.  Insta pots and crock pots are awesome.  If you have one, take advantage of it.

Print this timeline http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/and refer to it often.  Your timing may vary a bit but it will help so much to see that it's normal and even expected as you go through these phases. 

Take your measurements before you begin.  Write them down and then put them away without peaking at them during your 30 days.  Put your scale away The night before it begins too.  Take pictures of yourself. Try on all your clothes.

Plan little non-food rewards for each milestone day.  It's up to you to figure out timing for that.  Pedicures, makeovers, massage, haircut, beach day, ride in the country, new kitchen or bath item, and a new outfit are all nice treats.  Use your imagination and tailor it to yourself. 

And another big thing, don't spend time thinking about what you can't wait to eat after it's over!  Be immersed in your Whole30 and keep your thoughts on compliant foods.  As you get to day 30 you can consider your introduction phase but don't ruin your month torturing yourself with images and thoughts of that stuff.  I highly recommend thinking of this as a 40+ days effort, don't get so caught up in counting off 30 days that you have no will reserved for the introduction phase which takes approximately 10 more days but could be longer.

Do the introduction and do it properly!  Your entire month is largely about this part.  Find out what each and every food group does for or to you and be honest about it.  Pay attention to your emotions after reintroducing something.  Follow the guide of introducing one isolated food group at a time with two days of whole30 eating between groups.  If you already strongly suspect certain things in a food group but think the others are okay then break that group into more than one test day so you will have a more definite answer.

Holy smokes, Ginsky! ...that is the BEST advice... Concise, and right on the money!!

I just saw people asking for tips. 

Thanks, Ginsky! I decided to take Monday off of work to do those things you suggested. I have been concentrating heavily on preparing for meat and veggie consumption, but opened my cupboard last night to find all kinds of things I need to move or toss. So much to learn, and thankfully, so many people offering help and tips to us newbies!

Wow, everyone! This is going to be a GREAT group!!... with an active forum thread like this, you will not feel alone on your Whole30 adventure. My tips:

1) Sign up for the daily emails now (so your start date is synced up with your program). It's cheap, and many of them are inspiring and quite helpful... plus it's fun to click the "I DID IT!" link at the end of the email every day (instead of the "I Made Some Bad Choices... Start Over" link).

2) Definitely bookmark or print out the Timeline (http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/)... it is SO nice to know what to expect and that your experiences are "normal", even if your particular symptoms are off schedule or slightly different. 

3) Use the forum to troubleshoot your Whole30 as you go along, a little fine-tuning early on can save you weeks of struggle, DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS!!... try posting here, or in the "Troubleshooting" section. A lot of people make little mistakes, like not eating enough, snacking too much, not eating enough healthy FATS, skipping breakfast, not sticking to the MEAL TEMPLATE (see #6 below). The moderators are good at answers questions quickly, so ask, ask, ASK!!

4) Have a copy of "It Starts With Food" or "The Whole30" on hand if possible. I read and re-read those books during my first Whole30 and found them soooooo helpful! Especially the hormone chapter in ISWF... I must have read that thing 10 times. REALLY helped me stay on track.

5) Do not view this as a diet or a way to lose weight quickly, that is NOT the goal (though it will happen for many of you)... you are overhauling the way you eat, to repair and heal the only body you'll ever have. You want to fix your metabolism and get your hormones in balance and get rid of your sugar dragon so that vegetables actually look more appealing than Oreos more days than not. It happened to me, and it can happen to you!! This is about repairing and supporting your body from the inside out, not just a way to look better in a bikini (though I DO look better in my bikini, I have to say!).  ; )

6) Stick to the meal template. Stick to the meal template. Stick to the meal template. (http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf)... and read labels on EVERYTHING... including supplements (there was cornstarch in my Vitamin C powder... crazy!).

7) If you have chronic health problems or are very overweight, be prepared to give more time to this program... after 30 days, you will likely feel better, but it may take another 30, 60 or 90 to really see changes in your symptoms or lab tests. DON'T GIVE UP!!

8) Start easing off of non-compliant foods NOW (I see many of you are doing this already, good for you!)... this will make your transition into the program a little easier. Less shocking to the body!

9) Try to focus on all the healthy, delicious, satisfying foods you CAN have... not what you are missing. I have gained so much from this program, I will never go back to my former way of eating. Once you get your system "cleaned out" and re-set your metabolism, it can actually be physically painful to eat junk food! You CAN slay the sugar dragon.

10) The first week or two can be tough, so hang in there, let us support you, and "keep your eye on the prize". YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

I was at my doc office yesterday and mentioned to her I was going to do the Whole30 and she was very excited and told me she had done it before and I'd feel so much better. I have COPD due to chronic bronchitis so a lot of inflammation and also Celiac. I've never thought dairy was a problem for me but she said I might find out differently.

Today I'm doing my menu for next week and making out the shopping list. My panty, fridge and freezer and pretty compliant once I get rid of the dairy, sweetener and vegetable oil. Once I have my menu made out and my grocery list, I'm going to try to put together a prep plan so I can get as much done on Monday as possible and then only have minimal cooking/reheating for the first week.

I go to the Y 5 days a week but next week the pool is closed for it's annual cleaning and repair and then the rest closes at noon on Friday and then reopens on the day after labor day so I think that might be good in case my energy drops a little the first week. I plan on walking to make up for the days I can't go to the pool.

Been a couple of really hectic days, but I'm still working out next weeks meal plan and trying to decide how I'm going to honor my commitment to suffer. (Pffft Vozelle, you were supposed to pick water not exercise!!!)

I will be making every effort again in September to check-in here every day and I encourage those of you doing this for the first time to make the same resolution.  Good day, bad day, totally off-subject day...I think you will get the most out of the support and greatly increase your chances of success if you keep coming back to this thread every day and reading up on how we are doing and posting something about your experience as well.    Especially on the days when you want to give up or convince yourself this isn't really worth it or it isn't working for you.  Sometimes it's reading about the successes others are seeing and sometimes it's just reading that someone else is struggling as well and knowing it's "not just you!" that keeps you in the game.

Oh, and sometimes it's just pride, "I will not fail in front of these people".  But maybe that's just me.  :D

I still haven't found any recipes from my first Whole30 to link, I read over my journal (and that was interesting!) but it seems I mostly made up recipes and adapted other ones rather than working from anything I can just link.  I did decide to go all nostalgic and recreate my first week Meal 2 for next week, it's something I really haven't had since then and it was something I enjoyed and felt pretty good on.  What I do is take a number of frozen chicken breasts and put them in the bottom of a crock-pot, then pile on compliant sauerkraut (I use http://bubbies.com/sauerkraut) and let that cook on low for 6-8 hours.  I usually eat this over some mashed potatoes as a meal that I can make ahead and that packs easily to be warmed up later.  (Using full fat coconut milk means the potatoes will reheat well and you will be usable to make potato cakes as part of a Meal 1 later in the week if you are all about using leftovers in different ways.)

So...something old, now I need something new and something blue and I need to borrow something from one of you...this is a sensible meal plan creation strategy, surely.   

I am in as well!!  I was going to start on 8/31 but it would be great to be on track with everyone else! 

This is my first go around and I'm really excited and a little nervous too!  I'm finishing up the Whole 30 book now.

I'm so glad we have the community!  It's great to have this kind of support system!!

Hi everyone, I had success with my first Whole30 last September, 2014. Starting with you again in a few days! I will post more later, my biggest non scale victory (not trying to lose weight) last year was discovering my severe nasal congestion, post nasal drip is due to gluten. I have held fairly firm to gluten free, but it sneaks in when I don't realize it dining out, at friends, etc. and sometimes I just eat the darn wrap that comes with my tuna tacos. I feel the need for a complete Whole30. I suffer from insomnia and was one of the few who did not have any improvements in that area. But maybe this year?!?! My biggest indulgences - I am weaning off right now is cheese and wine. If I can give one suggestion, don't wait until 9/1 .... Start reducing non-compliant foods now. And definitely don't binge the couple of days before!

Will post some ideas, recipes, etc... On my way out now... Jan.

I'm in...this will be my first Whole 30 but had been doing Paleo and in order to prepared I have weaned myself not only off Stevia, coconut sugar and CREAMER drinking my coffee black now for about a month...I didn't want to have any issues in that aspect going cold turkey...my biggest issue now is giving up gum that I chew daily and several pieces through the day as well it was my device to keep my pace and mouth wet when I ran; that will be a challenge and have been working on that one not successful like coffee yet.

(Pffft Vozelle, you were supposed to pick water not exercise!!!)

Haha! Seriously, LET'S DO THIS... Crimsann, you have 3 days to come up with your exercise goal!

I'm committing to 30 min of vigorous exercise 5x/week during this 2nd Whole30... AND strength training 3x/week.

I'm going to print out a blank calendar for Sept to track my activity so I'm accountable to myself.

Hi everyone -

I am Michelle, and this will hopefully be my 2nd successful Whole 30.  I did my first one about a year and a half ago and felt amazing.  Due to life, self sabatoge, and a total lack of faith in myself, I had completely fallen off of the bandwagon.  It's almost as if I've got a mental block telling me that I may as well "cheat" and just start again tomorrow, and tomorrow, etc etc etc... 

So, I've decided to join in with you all for some accountability, and it seems like this is a great group already!  I am starting today, because I can't wait until Sept 1st and to start feeling better.  I'm looking forward to feeling wonderful and my clothes fitting again!!! 

And for some personal info, I live in the Midwest, work in a super busy ER/hospital, have a great Paleo-ish hubby, two rowdy little boys and a dog.  :)  I like jogging, pedicures and yoga. 

XOXO,

Michelle

What?!  What is this three-day deadline!?  I count at least 4.25 days.

I was kind of bummed that September starts on a Tuesday when Monday seems more like a start day, buuuut if it's exercise we are talking about I'm all good with NOT starting on Monday morning. 

All.  Good.

It's going to have to be AM for me, no point in committing to anything I don't have control over so mid-days are out...and working out at night usually leaves me too revved to get to bed in time to even pretend I got enough sleep.  (Recap for those who weren't along for the June ride, I work insane hours so you will hear me talk about four-meals and late hours.  My regular workday, between on the clock hours and commute time, is a minimum of 14 hours and that's five days a week, so you can see why Vozelle is really mean in picking exercise.)  Which also means we are talking indoor/treadmill or yoga which can both be done at home and it's going to be all someone else's fault if I fall asleep in that last asana and end up late to work.

Since I already wear a Fitbit daily, I thought about a step count goal...but it would be just my luck I would forget to charge the thing and end up feeling like I had to walk half the night after waiting on it to charge just to have the number duly recorded so I'm still tossing around what would challenge me in all honesty but also be entirely possible even given what life might throw my way.  The step goal would be more flexible than a morning yoga wake up but doesn't really mean much of a change other than being more conscious of walking and adding in some more steps.  I might try to mash those two together with a Morning Wake Up+5,000 steps or a Sleep In+10,000 steps.  I think I am more likely to be motivated to continue a morning yoga practice than facing the treadmill every morning and the penalty plan adds in some flexibility with no real desire to indulge in it. 

I also just ordered a balance disc for my chair at work, I used to use a balance ball chair and I really miss it.  I can't count sitting at my desk as a workout, somehow I just know Vozelle won't buy that plan, but it's an added level of passive activity. 

Archived