Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

thinking about non scale victories.

I am going to the gym and treated myself to a couple of sessions with a trainer. And I am sore but it feels great!

I def have more energy than I did and one really cool thing is that my fingernails which were chalky and splitting are now not split any more. 

Another NSV is that I am really enjoying cooking healthy food, and being in my kitchen. I feel much more in control of my health. 

so -thinking of post whole thirty. I will look forward to some paleo treats, like banana pecan ice-cream, but no need to go back to dairy and grains and sugars and legumes. Happily for me I have never been a huge chocolate eater. My husband says he would rather stay bald than to give up his chocolate. 

Today I have the grand kids in the afternoon so I will ramp up the protein for meal 1..

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also wanted to recommend the Nomnom Paleo cook book by michelle tam and henry fong. I first bought the app for my ipad which I also recommend! also if you have an iphone, she does frequent broadcasts on persicope app which are really fun and inspiring. Between the Whole 30 book and the well fed books and nom nom paelo there is a world of good food. Eat on...

Good morning, ladies! Looks like rain today, and we really need it. It also looks like Fall with a few leaves coming down.

I am so happy for all the progress we have made as a group and individually. It amazes me how much eating good whole food makes me feel. I have so much energy I don't know what to do with it so added another class (just once a week) at the gym for now. One thing I have noticed and for which I am very thankful is my breathing (I have COPD) is so much better I no longer need to use my rescue inhaler while exercising. I'm so that's because I have so much less inflammation.

As for the cheerleading, let's start a new trend with capri pants and big t-shirts. More flattering than current cheerleading outfits. We really need to come up with some cheers, too.

Have a wonderful day - I'm off to the Y.

Yesterday was good. I felt full most of the day and ate no nut butter. I thought I looked over the ingredients on the bacon I bought at costco, but today when I went to cook it I noticed it had organic honey. UHGGGGGGG! Guess I'll save it for Oct 1st.

Today is leftovers day. My daughter has soccer at 5 and I won't have time to cook. A friend at my gym started whole30 yesterday and I couldn't help but think how glad I am that I'm at the end, not the beginning. There aren't many things I really, really miss but I can tell you that Oct 1st I will be having a glass of wine. :D

I was really "glad" for all you cheerleaders and the talk about working out last night.  It's been awhile since I talked progress on the working out bit, but I think it was only reading those comments that got me through it last night.

To recap, when I decided to do another official W30 sort of on top of doing it for three months already, I also committed to increasing the challenge a little by adding some form of yoga every day so I was "suffering" as much as our first-time members.  My initial idea was to get up early (HA! I crack myself up here) and do it in the morning pre-breakfast.  That pretty much fell through by day 3 or 4 and I quickly settled into a night practice.  I think this was mostly inevitable to be honest, I try not to gripe too much about my work schedule because it's a choice on my part (mostly) but literally the only free time I have during the week is late at night or if I manage to get up early...and I am the poster girl of "not a morning person".  Still.  

It's been going pretty well, I will freely admit I haven't made the full 7-days a week goal, but I've hit six days every single time so far...with Saturday ironically being my most frequent miss.  I'm okay with that because those Saturdays were "chase after niece days" not "sit at my desk" days and between that and staying around to help my sister with bath and bedtimes I've sometimes not even been home in time to count it as still Saturday. 

I don't feel that it's impacted my sleep much which was a concern going in with doing it at night, it's just basically eliminated any "me" time I had before.  What I've been trying to do is talk myself around to believing that doing yoga IS "me" time, but that's still a bit of a stretch (pun intended) to be honest.  I like it, but I'm still not excited to get home just to be able to do it.  I've also gotten to the point where it's now harder mentally than it is physically which is a swap...I have to focus more on keeping my mind clear than on holding the pose.  This is great physical progress for me and is definitely the upside to the story.

So, why did I need cheerleaders last night?!  Well, I have a theory.  I think it's because the days are getting shorter.  I used to be able to get home while it was nearly still daylight, cook a meal, relax a bit, be in bed before 12:00 and it all worked pretty well.  Now however it's dark before I even leave work and I'm slowing down with it so that by the time I get home I want to crawl into bed right then.  Instead not only do I need to cook, pack lunch, clean up from all that, I also need to find an hour for yoga.  I put my fork down from dinner last night at 11:59....sigh. 

The hours in my day haven't actually changed, but the combination of my body wanting an earlier bedtime the darker it gets and pushing dinner back an hour later (not really wanting to do standing forward bends on a full stomach so dinner is post-yoga) is really taking a toll. 

I don't regret taking it on, and I think I will be motivated to keep up a more regular practice in October and beyond so I don't lose the increased flexibility and can deepen work on toning...but I'm also really glad this is only for a few more days!  It's giving me some valuable insight also into what I might be able to do for January.  I had assumed it would look a lot like June, but I'm now thinking that my winter Whole30 is going to look a lot different.  Especially if the weather is bad, my 45 minute commute can double or worse in really bad snow conditions and in the deep of winter I'm going to want bed more than ever.  If I take on the challenge for that time of year, it's going to be primarily focused on even more pre-made and frozen meals/soups/etc. so that the actual weekday cooking time is negligible.  I've got a few months to store up recipes and maybe stash some things in the freezer.  My new challenge may be can I start a Whole30 with a month worth of food already made, LOL!   

Hey all...

Well that was a weekend.  I attended my first Crossfit challenge at Crossfit Altitude in Burlington, Ontario and it was a blast.  I was doing the beginner scaled exercises but it was a good challenge for me.  I finished and did pretty well (got first place for the beginner division, men).  I brought a cooler full of food and ate 100% on plan while doing 3 max effort workouts over the day.  It was my first time ever doing Crossfit at a Box (gym) as I do crossfit on my own in my garage gym.  It was a good education and really fun (and draining) for the day.  They had nice medals for us and I got a $100 Reebok gift certificate and used it yesterday to buy three pairs of Reebok track pants (so comfortable) to replace my old, ratty pairs.

I packed salads, sweet potato mash, steak, W30 Sausage, apples and applesauce.  I did not eat too much (did not want to be sick) but I fueled across the day and finished with a meal of 1/4 chicken, guacamole and fruit salad.

I had yesterday off and intentionally stayed away from the computer and relaxed with a massage at my local athletic therapy centre.  I was sore but the massage really helped. 

Back to the regular grind today (biked to work, meals in backpack and workout this AM).

I missed you all but I had a good time and it was a great experience.  Looking forward to the next 9 days and beyond!

Cheers

DJ

I think seeing the weight number is just a moment that has passed. I am certainly beginning to be much more comfortable with the fact that it is only a number, it is more important how we are feeling and from your post you are making huge strides in your personal well being--that is the proof you are doing what is needed. Am seriously pleased for you. 

I agree misslindy.  I'm moving away from the scale issue and it feels freeing.  And thank you for your kinds words.  They made me smile.  :)

Hi!  Day 22 for me!  Can you believe it?  I have a lot of updates, but most importantly I managed to make it through a formal engagement party.  I called the restaurant where it was being held and asked about what was being offered and they said it was a buffet and if I wanted the chef to make me something different I could just ask.  Turns out I didn't even need to do that.  I loaded up with the plain salad on my plate and opened a box of sardines in olive oil right on top.  No one was the wiser and I got to eat a healthy meal!  I also splurged and had coffee at night! and brought a bag of snack olives that I pulled out and plopped on a dessert plate when there was cake everywhere.  Started with a glass of water and lime right from the beginning.  No big deal.  Bonus point- I got to be the DD.  HAHA.  Thanks @Jmcbn for the tips!  I also started just going out for drinks with my friends/colleagues.  This is sort of the norm in my industry.  At first I was like...let's go out in October, but then I realized that was silly.  Successfully just get water.  I feel a little bad about not paying the bartenders a big tip...any ideas on that?  I suppose I could anyways, otherwise I get the 'are you really not ordering anything look'.  I say something like 'I'm just taking it easy tonight.'  Nobody has really had a problem with it.  Questioned yes, but no problem.  

Still looking for more quick tricks for food prep.  I don't usually get a day off, so it's a rushed morning here and a late night there with food prep.  Any thoughts?  I did try the Carnitas over lettuce @Chipotle.  I have also realized that the workers don't actually know what is in the food/ingredients.  I have been just trusting the website.  Next time I think I would bring my own oil for dressing.  Because the salsa and quac are not Low FODMAP friendly.  I'm going on multiple road trips this weekend.  Was it the Turkey at Panera that's compliant?  Thanks!

NSV! I pulled out pants the other day that were definitely benched before the Whole30.  Yay!  Feeling good and my face is looking so much healthier all around.  I've been trying to add in more exercise.  I've been maybe doing 1-2 a week.  But my goal was 3 times a week.  Should I be making this a priority or just doing my best?  I've been adding more walking and steps in where I can.  That seems to be useful.  

GO TEAM GO!

Hello, everyone! I'm just checking in to say hi. I started in the group but had to leave on Day 8 after my father dies unexpectedly. I really appreciate all your thoughts and condolences - I got a couple of nice PMs, which was really sweet. It's been a rough two weeks, and I'm learning lots about grief, but I'm thankful for friends and family.

I did a restart yesterday and am now on Day 2. With expected headache. :) I'm going to migrate over to the group for people who started yesterday, but I did want to say thanks, and let you know that I will complete this! (Even though this start date means I'm going over 2 out of town trips and my birthday . . . grrrrrr.)

Jeez, I wish there was a Whole30 restaurant where I could just go and order anything I want without even thinking about it (and especially without asking 150 questions about every item)! Today I am kinda bored of cooking, yearning for a care-free dining out experience...

I eat at Chipotle every week. I know it's not the fanciest of restaurants. You can have the carnitas with pico and guac. I know that doesn't sound too thrilling but when you're sick of cooking it seems amazing.

Hey, Anyone in NYC?  I tried this restaurant Dig Inn.  It's all farm to table food and most of the options are seemingly Whole30 & LOWFODMAP compliant.  They cook with Olive Oil, and use only fresh herb spices, no garlic and oinions (in a lot of options)!  Just wondering if anyone else has found this?  I think I'm going to have to go weekly!

Still looking for more quick tricks for food prep.  I don't usually get a day off, so it's a rushed morning here and a late night there with food prep.  Any thoughts?  

Hi!  So, when I food prep I only do a couple days in advance.  Cuts the time in half and, frankly, the food has less potential to get soggy and "old" (I'm a little picky with that lol).  When I cook dinner for that night I usually overcook and end up with extra food for the following days.  If you don't mind having the same dinner and lunch the next day, that really works for me :)

I'm just checking in.  I am in my last week now (Monday will be Day 30 for me, but who's counting? ;) ).  I think I will try the magnesium supplements recommended in here because I've been getting toe and foot cramps when I extend my legs in yoga.  Ouch.  I did my Core Synergistics dvd from P90X on Sunday.  I was so nervous to try it because I hadn't done that one in about 6 months because of my vertigo and I struggled back then.  I was very pleased to find out that I could do everything either the same or better than before.  Must be the tiger blood!  Overall, I feel good but I'm definitely tired of all the cooking and cleaning up.  I do love having all of the food cooked and waiting for us in the fridge for the week though.  I can even see a difference in my 12 year old daughter's skin just from eating compliant dinners.  It seems like you are all doing great!  We are definitely in the homestretch now! 

I did better meal planning today so I could get a better handle on stomach grumblings I have had lately. I think I was just not eating enough at meal 1 and 2. I will have to evaluate that more over the next few days. So meal-wise I am fine. But then early this morning I crashed-literally. Fell down my basement stairs. Hit my head, back, shoulder, butt, left elbow and hand. Bruised and shaken but otherwise fine. Made me emotional. I went on to work and didn't take the time to ice down my back or elbow. Luckily, my work can be somewhat flexible so I came back home after a couple of hours. I feel better now-physically. While I was at work my coworkers that I share an office with managed to tick me off. We occasionally have lunch or dinner bought for us. Usually my healthy eating habits are not taken in consideration. I'm fine fending for myself and not participating in the "free meal." My coworkers were talking about the next "free meal." Comments were made that we should be grateful and not be so picky because it is free. And pizza should be our next one. I am not one to push my beliefs or my eating habits off on anyone I work with. I have explained my health issues and how I am resolving them to my Dr. Atkins loving coworkers and the 2 liter/day Mt. Dew guzzling ones. I don't feel I should have to explain it any more. I am still ticked as you can read. I can pack my own lunch or leave for lunch-no problem. Any one else have to deal with outward hostility about being healthy? I think I may have hit my head too hard this morning!

I'm just checking in.  I am in my last week now (Monday will be Day 30 for me, but who's counting? ;) ).  I think I will try the magnesium supplements recommended in here because I've been getting toe and foot cramps when I extend my legs in yoga.  Ouch.  I did my Core Synergistics dvd from P90X on Sunday.  I was so nervous to try it because I hadn't done that one in about 6 months because of my vertigo and I struggled back then.  I was very pleased to find out that I could do everything either the same or better than before.  Must be the tiger blood!  Overall, I feel good but I'm definitely tired of all the cooking and cleaning up.  I do love having all of the food cooked and waiting for us in the fridge for the week though.  I can even see a difference in my 12 year old daughter's skin just from eating compliant dinners.  It seems like you are all doing great!  We are definitely in the homestretch now! 

The P90X series is fun.  Loved the Plyometrics disk.  Keep up the good work!

Cheers

DJ

Nice to hear from you. I like that we can pop in and out when it is convenient for each of us.

So great to hear of your progress. I have been sitting here laughing at myself because I read your first line incorrectly, thought someone was paid to compliment you! How funny is that? Your picture is gorgeous so I could understand why people wouldn't compliment you. And yes, I believe I am happier, more comfortable in myself so can understand how you feel that way--it is easier to smile then isn't it? 

I intend to work more on exercising this next round, but will wait until we are through this first then decide what I am doing about that. We could be the cheerleaders??? We could have outfits and everything.

Of course just reading through this I made a typo and meant to say 'your picture is so gorgeous I can't understand why people wouldn't compliment you' or 'why people would compliment you'  Oh dear, I think yesterday was a bit lost for me.

I did better meal planning today so I could get a better handle on stomach grumblings I have had lately. I think I was just not eating enough at meal 1 and 2. I will have to evaluate that more over the next few days. So meal-wise I am fine. But then early this morning I crashed-literally. Fell down my basement stairs. Hit my head, back, shoulder, butt, left elbow and hand. Bruised and shaken but otherwise fine. Made me emotional. I went on to work and didn't take the time to ice down my back or elbow. Luckily, my work can be somewhat flexible so I came back home after a couple of hours. I feel better now-physically. While I was at work my coworkers that I share an office with managed to tick me off. We occasionally have lunch or dinner bought for us. Usually my healthy eating habits are not taken in consideration. I'm fine fending for myself and not participating in the "free meal." My coworkers were talking about the next "free meal." Comments were made that we should be grateful and not be so picky because it is free. And pizza should be our next one. I am not one to push my beliefs or my eating habits off on anyone I work with. I have explained my health issues and how I am resolving them to my Dr. Atkins loving coworkers and the 2 liter/day Mt. Dew guzzling ones. I don't feel I should have to explain it any more. I am still ticked as you can read. I can pack my own lunch or leave for lunch-no problem. Any one else have to deal with outward hostility about being healthy? I think I may have hit my head too hard this morning!

You don't have to justify yourself to anyone but yourself--and that isn't justification it is a decision. Basically they are just elements to keep you on your path, (can you tell I am a bit annoyed as well????). However they will serve to keep you motoring on your way so you have learned you can be you in the midst of the craziness. Take care of yourself--and your bumped head. xxxL

Kplake: I don't tell people what I'm doing. I just say no thank you. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll get snarky and say something like: I'm not crazy, you're the one who's headed toward kidney disease. Isn't it awful that eating well is considered abnormal? WE Can be cranky together. Hahaga!!!!

Hello, everyone! I'm just checking in to say hi. I started in the group but had to leave on Day 8 after my father dies unexpectedly. I really appreciate all your thoughts and condolences - I got a couple of nice PMs, which was really sweet. It's been a rough two weeks, and I'm learning lots about grief, but I'm thankful for friends and family.

I did a restart yesterday and am now on Day 2. With expected headache. :) I'm going to migrate over to the group for people who started yesterday, but I did want to say thanks, and let you know that I will complete this! (Even though this start date means I'm going over 2 out of town trips and my birthday . . . grrrrrr.)

Welcome back, take care of  yourself. I have been wondering how you are doing, let us know how you are going. It is not easy losing a loved one so take care of yourself. :)

Of course just reading through this I made a typo and meant to say 'your picture is so gorgeous I can't understand why people wouldn't compliment you' or 'why people would compliment you'  Oh dear, I think yesterday was a bit lost for me.

@misslindy, I read it as you intended, and I very much appreciated your words!

I re-read my posts from yesterday -- lots of typos for me. I was trying to talk about compliant vs. non-compliant foods, but instead I wrote about "complaint and non-complaint foods," which totally changed the meaning. (And made the post somewhat hilarious!)

So now we know one thing that doesn't improve on Whole 30: Spelling!

@kplake, your post really resonates with me. My workplace is quite supportive, and several have done W30 multiple times and gained tremendous insight. But in other situations, people don't understand why I am not making the same choices they are making. I think they really want everyone in the group to be going down the same path, but why? WHAT GIVES? Were these people sheep dogs in another life? 

I'm sorry, I have no answers, but I hear you! 

I've lost my tiger blood, why oh why? I'm also having a hard time with the cravings, probably because we're getting so close. 22 days.....wow!

That's your "extinction burst" rearing it's ugly head! This is the explanation:

You’re so close to finishing your Whole30. You’ve nearly banished your cravings, and it’s been easier and easier to pass up desserts and sweet treats—even the Whole30-approved ones. You’re practically a healthy-habit-machine these days! And then…

Your brain rebels. You get the worst case of cravings you’ve experienced to date. You’re practically sitting on your hands to avoid raiding the pantry, and you cannot believe that this far along into your program, your Sugar Dragon is breathing fire right down your back… again! What’s going on?

The science-y term for this phenomenon is “extinction burst,” and the good news is that this is totally normal—expected, even. And if you know it’s coming, you can brace yourself for it.

Any time you quit something cold-turkey (as you do when you give up old habit-foods during your Whole30), your brain will make a last-ditch effort to return you to your habit. Once you become accustomed to reward, your brain gets really upset when you can’t have it. So when you expect a reward and nothing happens (it’s after dinner… dessert must be coming! But wait… it doesn’t come? What’s going on!) your conditioned response starts to fade away… and your brain freaks out.

This is actually good news. It means that you are on the brink of giving up that long-term habit (dessert) for good! Your brain is going through one last-ditch effort to keep getting that reward, so the cravings come back in full effect. But you are smart. You know they’re coming, and you’ve prepared for this. You have strategies in place for dealing with cravings and boosting your willpower.

You will resist… and kick that habit to the curb. Winning!

Source: You Are Not So Smart, by David McRaney

Hi everyone! I had a coworker look at me today with a confused look on her face. She said, "Your face looks different today. I'm not sure what it is though. But GOOD-different!" That made me happy. I can see it a bit, and I'm glad others are starting to see it too. I'm lucky to have a lot of support from friends, family and coworkers--except the granola-bar-eating diabetic, who calls it crazy. We have an all day staff meeting tomorrow at one of our camp properties. I'll be toting my lunch, because they are having burgers, brats, picnic salads, and other stuff that just won't work. I have greens, yellow grape tomatoes, carrots, sliced pork tenderloin, an avocado, and EVOO/ACV dressing that I am SO much more excited about! 

I'm going to go through all my fridge/freezer stuff to be sure I have everything I need to get through my weekend (4 days) away. I have to pick up water and LaCroix, and I ordered some Epic bars to take with. I had ordered some Lara bars, then cancelled the order, but they shipped anyway. Those make me a little nervous. 

I'm trying not to have expectations about weighing in at the end of the 30. I tend to let the numbers get in the way of more important things. I thought about not weighing in, but I really want to know what kind of progress I've made in all ways. I did take measurements at the start, but never got around to taking a pic. Maybe didn't want to take a pic...  :rolleyes:

It's so exciting to read all the progress that's happening in our group! I'm glad that we'll be continuing on, and I look forward to the next 30. I plan to work more on exercise for that one. 

Enjoy your evening!!

Archived