Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

I agree. I don't have to justify myself and how I eat. I have one co-worker that is snarky. I think that is a made up word but that is how I describe her. Her attitude is more motivating than anything. Today she offered me produce out of someone's garden that she would not eat but not without asking, 'can you eat that?' I don't have to justify myself any more than I have to educate her. I think the end results will speak for themselves-better health, better skin, more energy and that great by-product of reduced waistline. 

Exactly! I like that you said you don't have to educate her (or anyone else) as well, something I will remember for myself. Not our responsibility.

Snarky is a word I use all the time and it suits so many so often --sadly including me!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was a good day.  I got a lot done around the house and errands ran but then tonight I became angry.  At pretty much everything.  I have no idea why.  I'm hoping I get my happy back on again tomorrow!

Anyone else back into the Kill all Things stage??

I am not sure where this anger comes from? My theory is I have stored it in my fat and with fat release the anger fumes explode! So am taking it as a good thing - not sure those in my immediate vicinity agree. :)

Day 24-Aside from nasty ugly bruises from my fall yesterday I felt pretty good. I was able to sleep without much pain. I believe had I not been working on being in better health I would have felt more pain from the bruises and been more sore today. I noticed a few things while my co-workers were munching away on their free lunch. The smells, mostly. They ordered from a wing and burger place. I have had the wings from there a long while back and they aren't too bad but today I couldn't stand the smell-old grease. Like restaurant grade vegetable oil. I had considered getting the wings and joining in but I thought of how they must be cooked in oil that I couldn't verify as a good oil. Now I don't think I will visit that restaurant again. I don't want to go back to eating anything that doesn't smell appetizing. I mean that is part of the appeal of good food. I had a ground chicken burger with fresh herbs, sauteed spinach, green peppers, onions and apples with a lemon and EVOO vinaigrette I threw together-at home. 

I checked the calendar and see 6 more days left on this Whole30. Last April I tried to do 30 and stopped at 21 or 22. I am going to make it to 30 this time and although I do plan to re-introduce a few things properly I don't think this will be my last Whole30. I felt I cooked healthy before but now I am armed with so much more information and recipes. 

ksheedy2, I was there a couple of days ago. It took me by surprise! But it didn't last long. Now I'm back to feeling good. You will be too!

Thanks!  I'm feeling good today - SOOOOO glad it was a short stint in the feeling angry camp :-)  I like happy much better!!

Morning All

I am finding I am hungry after breakfast--two days in a row, am eating tons, IMO and enough fat may add more protein and some kumara tomorrow morning and see how it goes. Had some almonds with my morning coffee/coconut oil and still feeling peckish. Guess I will up everything.

I want to continue on W30 beyond the end of the month, not reintroduce foods, are we going to have a thread for that? or just migrate as a group who want to stay connected?

We had our staff meeting today at one of our camp properties. Beautiful day, beautiful scenery, and the opportunity to do some outside activities. Gotta love that! I brought my lunch, and ignored the celebratory cupcakes. And it felt good! 

I am definitely a breakfast eater, but not first thing. Sometimes that means it's a bit more than an hour after I wake up, but not too much longer. I take my breakfast to work with me. This morning, it was leftover pork roast and sauerkraut...does breakfast get much more unconventional than that? I'm glad that I've always been able to eat non-traditional breakfasts. I've been having dinner leftovers in the morning for a long time.

My dinner tonight was SO good! And it couldn't have been easier. I had leftover strips of pork tenderloin, so I sauteed those with red pepper. Then I added hot sauce and butter, and served it over mashed cauliflower. Buffalo Pork Tenderloin! Will be making that again.

I'm a bit concerned about reintro. I'll be leaving Thursday night to drive to Ohio with my daughter to visit my other daughter who is in the Air Force, currently stationed in Ohio. Even though I've already let them know I'll be cooking at my daughter's instead of eating out, it'll be harder to plan the addition of things I haven't been eating. I'll have to think about how this will work. 

Ok, off to gather my food for the long weekend. I'll spend more time on that than on packing my other stuff!  :lol:

Day 24-Aside from nasty ugly bruises from my fall yesterday I felt pretty good. I was able to sleep without much pain. I believe had I not been working on being in better health I would have felt more pain from the bruises and been more sore today. I noticed a few things while my co-workers were munching away on their free lunch. The smells, mostly. They ordered from a wing and burger place. I have had the wings from there a long while back and they aren't too bad but today I couldn't stand the smell-old grease. Like restaurant grade vegetable oil. I had considered getting the wings and joining in but I thought of how they must be cooked in oil that I couldn't verify as a good oil. Now I don't think I will visit that restaurant again. I don't want to go back to eating anything that doesn't smell appetizing. I mean that is part of the appeal of good food. I had a ground chicken burger with fresh herbs, sauteed spinach, green peppers, onions and apples with a lemon and EVOO vinaigrette I threw together-at home. 

I checked the calendar and see 6 more days left on this Whole30. Last April I tried to do 30 and stopped at 21 or 22. I am going to make it to 30 this time and although I do plan to re-introduce a few things properly I don't think this will be my last Whole30. I felt I cooked healthy before but now I am armed with so much more information and recipes.

I love this post. I felt so bad when you posted yesterday about the fall! Glad you made it through! It's a stressor for sure-- the kind that would have previously sent me ice cream hunting! And so proud that you didn't succumb to the wings, etc. Smart girl! You are a star! Hope you continue to heal fast!

I've been compliant since Sept 1 and am not seeing a noticable change in either energy or sleep. The good news: huge sugar cravings were gone after a couple of days and I'm almost never hungry.  I also have the feeling of "clean".  I don't know how else to describe.  My digestive tract is working much better than prior to Whole30, even though I've been a big vegie eater for years. I feel thinner but don't know how valid that feeling is since my standard wardrobe in shorts/tank tops lately.  I'll be anxious to see the scale reading after 30 days just to get an idea of any weight change.

I'm turning 70 in Nov and feel blessed that I have no major health issues.  I'm wondering if our funky weather of abnormally high temp and humidity is zapping any increase in energy I'd feel from Whole30.  Also, I have to admit I'm not good about going to bed early.  Always have "just one more thing" I want to accomplish for the day. 

I was overwhelmed with the amount of food prep when I started but now have found a few recipes that I prepare in bulk and freeze to minimize time in the kitchen.  I had to organize my spices to make them easier to find since I'm using so many more of them.  Maybe I'll finally learn how to use spices! The info from the Whole30 Daily emails has also been a big help with finding new recipes and tips/tricks for staying compliant.

I'm retired and have avoided restaurants this month so I haven't face the challenge yet of staying compliant outside of my house.  I'm going to an open house at my husband's work this weekend and plan to take some of my own food, just in case.

I plan to do a valid reintro but, given my general feeling of well being, will most likely decide to minimize a lot of my previous non-compliant favorites.

I've been doing a trial of Living Cookbook, a menu planning software and will most likely purchase it in the next few days.  Like any other software program, it's time consuming to enter the initial data but then the payoff happens.  You can see a review of it and a link to the web site here

http://cookbook-recipe-software-review.toptenreviews.com/living-cookbook-review.html

Thanks for all the tips posted here.  I don't read it daily but am always glad when I do.

Exactly! I like that you said you don't have to educate her (or anyone else) as well, something I will remember for myself. Not our responsibility.

Snarky is a word I use all the time and it suits so many so often --sadly including me!

My "definition" of snarky is being negative with a smile on your face. You have been anything but negative here.  :D

Day 0: Moment of truth: I consumed a very blatant non-compliant item on Saturday, September 19th. After 20 days of Whole30 compliance. Ironically, I think it started with my intention to reduce fruit and nuts which backfired! I could make excuses forever, bottom line is I knew what I was doing, it was an intentional decision, a choice I made. I regret it. Especially now that I've tried to return to compliance and have struggled so much more. Struggling with the mentality that I've messed up what's the point of continuing especially since that's how the program is outlined which I completely understand and respect.Trying not to have the "what the hell effect?" because I could still benefit from eating this way longterm and not returning to old habits that don't serve me.  Anyway, I don't want to be triggering to anyone else who may be struggling but I'm seeking some words of wisdom on how to get back on track when you have derailed hard.  :(

Oh Shosh...this is the one area I struggle with the most because it's my nature to want to just say it's all okay.  But you already know the program only works the way it does because of those guidelines so I wouldn't be fooling you or me. 

Forgive yourself though.  That doesn't mean glossing over it or giving up on the program, pay yourself back for what you regret by dusting yourself off and not just pressing restart but punching it.  Punch it until it cries. 

So, so, so many people never make it 20 days.  Don't allow one bad choice to wipe out what you DID do and what you still can do.  20 days may not be 30 days, but it's still worth taking pride in.  Don't lose sight of that. 

I bet our cheerleading corps still has another 30 days of "rah-rah-ree, kick 'em in the knee" left in them.  Lots of people want to keep this going after October 1 and you would not be alone if you wanted the support from this group.  You are still one of ours! 

Just being able to say what you did here, I KNOW you have it in you to do this, I hope you are able to find that in yourself. 

Come on, ladies and gent(s? I can't remember if we have more than one)....everyone grab an arm or a leg, we have a September-ite who needs to be tossed back up on the wagon!

I'll be leaving Thursday night to drive to Ohio with my daughter to visit my other daughter who is in the Air Force, currently stationed in Ohio. Even though I've already let them know I'll be cooking at my daughter's instead of eating out, it'll be harder to plan the addition of things I haven't been eating. I'll have to think about how this will work. 

Ok, off to gather my food for the long weekend. I'll spend more time on that than on packing my other stuff!  :lol:

This is so funny because all month long I've kept picturing you as the Nancy who works upstairs in our Finance department, I've meant to mention it a dozen times, you just so remind me of her.  I even think her last name starts with a W, but I haven't checked that as it seemed a bit stalkerish to do so, lol!  But this comment puts pay to that because I'm already in OH!  In fact, I'm probably within shouting distance of your daughter if she is in the Air Force since I'm a few miles from one of the largest bases.  I'm sure there are others, but odds being what they are....I'm just going to imagine you visiting my neighborhood.

In any case, when you cross the border, please do imagine me waving madly in welcome!  You aren't failing a Whole30 reintro challenge in MY HOME STATE!  I will drive right on over and help first! 

I have a completely different definition of snarky: usually comes out when I am cross! 

My definition of snarky is maybe more like "being sarcastic with a sarcastic look on my face", but that leads to the question...am I really being sarcastic or am I being sarcastic about being sarcastic or does that mean I'm being doubly sarcastic?

The world may never know, cause I'm not telling. 

Shosh...crimsann is completely right. One slip doesn't undo all the good you did. Be kind to yourself. Reaching out is evidence that you are more than ready to hop back in. You've got this. You made it through the hardest part so jumping back in right now is exactly what you need to do. If you are really looking for a lifestyle change and plan to eat this way long term, there's nothing stopping you from being successful. This is a journey and you've just started. Keep pushing on. It may not be easy, but it will definitely be worth it. We are here for you.

This is so funny because all month long I've kept picturing you as the Nancy who works upstairs in our Finance department, I've meant to mention it a dozen times, you just so remind me of her.  I even think her last name starts with a W, but I haven't checked that as it seemed a bit stalkerish to do so, lol!  But this comment puts pay to that because I'm already in OH!  In fact, I'm probably within shouting distance of your daughter if she is in the Air Force since I'm a few miles from one of the largest bases.  I'm sure there are others, but odds being what they are....I'm just going to imagine you visiting my neighborhood.

In any case, when you cross the border, please do imagine me waving madly in welcome!  You aren't failing a Whole30 reintro challenge in MY HOME STATE!  I will drive right on over and help first! 

Too funny! My daughter lives in Beaver Creek, and works at Wright Patt. I haven't seen her new apartment yet, but apparently it's within walking distance of a really nice mall. And we are shoppers! No, there will be no failing of any part of the W30, in Ohio or any other state, so no worries there! If anything, I'll probably hold off on reintro until I'm back in town. We'll see... But I will be waving back at you!

Day 0: Moment of truth: I consumed a very blatant non-compliant item on Saturday, September 19th. After 20 days of Whole30 compliance. Ironically, I think it started with my intention to reduce fruit and nuts which backfired! I could make excuses forever, bottom line is I knew what I was doing, it was an intentional decision, a choice I made. I regret it. Especially now that I've tried to return to compliance and have struggled so much more. Struggling with the mentality that I've messed up what's the point of continuing especially since that's how the program is outlined which I completely understand and respect.Trying not to have the "what the hell effect?" because I could still benefit from eating this way longterm and not returning to old habits that don't serve me.  Anyway, I don't want to be triggering to anyone else who may be struggling but I'm seeking some words of wisdom on how to get back on track when you have derailed hard.  :(

Shosh, I was thinking of how I might respond to this, but Crimsann NAILED it. Honestly, this is one of the things I'm very afraid of--that I'll stray too far and struggle to get back to it. We are here for you, and we will haul your butt back on the wagon. 

Okay here's something I have posted on my desktop, don't know the author so can't give credit but think it says something of value:

'There comes a time in life when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. Surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones that don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of life, getting back up is living.'

One decision to be non-compliant is not the end, it is only a bump in the road. You decided, didn't like the result so you can decide to get back to the programme. We will make you head cheerleader--you know how to do it. xxxL

...Can I do a 7 day reintro instead of 10 days?  Anyone have any suggestions on how I should do this?...

Maybe pick a few items you are certain you will run into on your vacation, such as dairy and gluten, and try reintros with those?

...How do I deal with possibly having to bring three days worth of food with me?! I can bring a small cooler, but probably not much more than that. I won't have control over where or when we eat, either, for the most part. Tips?...

#1 tip: Canned Meat!… Salmon, sardines, chicken, etc.

#2 tip: Boiled Eggs... Lots and lots of boiled eggs.

#3 tip: Epic bars... Portable and no refrigeration needed.

Will that will take care of your protein needs, anyway!  : )

...Aside from nasty ugly bruises from my fall yesterday I felt pretty good...

Sorry to hear about your fall, glad you're OK! Healthy eating promotes quick healing, yay!

...I want to continue on W30 beyond the end of the month, not reintroduce foods, are we going to have a thread for that? or just migrate as a group who want to stay connected?

I vote for migrating as a group to stay connected, regardless of if we are continuing on w/Whole30(+) or doing re-introductions!

...Day 0: Moment of truth: I consumed a very blatant non-compliant item on Saturday, September 19th. After 20 days of Whole30 compliance. Ironically, I think it started with my intention to reduce fruit and nuts which backfired!... :(

I feel you, Shosh... Ditto what others have shared RE> words of encouragement. Please just jump back on the wagon and stay with our group. It's easy to slip into black-and-white thinking about this sort of thing, but someone in our June group said that's like running a red light in the morning, and then just running all the rest of the red lights throughout your day because you slipped up once! You have put in 20 solid days of healthy eating and your body really wants more of that.… It doesn't matter what # day it is. Your body doesn't KNOW what # day it is, it just knows that broccoli is better than Twinkies. Right?!

...20 days may not be 30 days, but it's still worth taking pride in.  Don't lose sight of that... Just being able to say what you did here, I KNOW you have it in you to do this, I hope you are able to find that in yourself... Come on, ladies and gent(s? I can't remember if we have more than one)....everyone grab an arm or a leg, we have a September-ite who needs to be tossed back up on the wagon!

Crimsann, you are the best. Thanks for being you.

I started on July 14 and on my 20 day I went on a road trip with my daughter and even tho I packed food for myself I chose to go off the plan in New Orleans! then I started over again a couple of times until Sept 1 and I have been compliant ever since. I have seen a lot of benifits in spite of my choices and that is why I started over. Don't buy in to the "what the hell" effect. Now that you have the tools, and support and experience, you can come back stronger than ever. You are not supposed to be starving. If you have to have nuts and fruit they are ok. I have nuts at night sometimes when my stomach is rumbling. it is not about deprivation. Chalk it up to education. Stay in touch!

Too funny! My daughter lives in Beaver Creek, and works at Wright Patt. I haven't seen her new apartment yet, but apparently it's within walking distance of a really nice mall. And we are shoppers! No, there will be no failing of any part of the W30, in Ohio or any other state, so no worries there! If anything, I'll probably hold off on reintro until I'm back in town. We'll see... But I will be waving back at you!

Yup!  That is totally my neck of the woods, I live a bit further southwest but my sister lives in New Carlisle so most of my "niece chasing" happens right where you will be.  I will have to remember to wear a blonde wig and dark glasses if I end up in line at that Starbucks...something that happens nearly every weekend as my non-Whole30 family is entrenched in never passing a frappucinno up.  Naturally I've stuck to the plain unsweetened iced coffees as of late.  But it could look incriminating. 

HI Shosh! Ok, so you slipped up. And you've learned from it, which is what this entire process is about. Think about why you did this in the first place and create a plan for yourself. What triggered the lapse and what will you do differently in the future? Nothing is a failure when something has been learned. I think you see a lot if support here, so let us know what you need! You can do it!

It's good to understand our triggers, what are the things that lead us to decisions we wish we could do over again.

For me, one of the things I learned is that food prep isn't a luxury or a nice to have, it's essential. If I'm not prepared, I'm too easily caught unawares, without food, when I'm really busy, tired and I'm hungry (and when that happens, honestly, I eat crap I would never normally even consider, it causes a complete mental failure in my decision making process). Something that helps keep me out of this behavior is also making sure I eat regularly, as skipping meals tends to steer me towards this path too (tired + hungry + no food = silly decisions for me).

The best way to get back on track is to jump right back on the horse at Day 1.

Restarting a Whole30 is never a failure if you learn something.

If it seems daunting right now, October 1 is only a few days away :) Mel Joulwan even has a shiny new website!

Archived