Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Thanks to those of you who offered advice on my tight hamstrings.  I have been eating a ton of leafy greens & taking epsom salt baths.  My trainer really helped me work on them at Pilates Monday night & Wednesday night.  I used the magnesium cream.  I have been walking daily to stretch them.  And I got a massage this afternoon.   And after all that TLC, they are feeling worlds better.  I'm even planning on going back to my bootcamp class in the morning.  So yay!

Shosh, ditto all the excellent words of wisdom you've already had about starting over.

Good luck to everyone who is traveling over the next few days, you can do it!

I've been thinking about my reintroduction period a bit and making a tentative plan in my head.  I will get it out in writing in the next several days and share with everyone.  But for now, all my planning energy is going into getting ready for potty training this weekend.  Working on writing out a menu now.  Going to spend Thursday night, Friday afternoon, and Friday evening cooking so that all we have to do over the weekend is take food out of the fridge & reheat as necessary.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all! I just caught up on most of the posts of the last couple of weeks. Well done everyone! I have stayed compliant and am feeling great! I've been reminded of how dairy affects my sinuses and digestion is all good. My hip is still bad unfortunately - I am unable to do much walking which is my favourite exercise and this is frustrating me. I still have hopes for improvement through diet- I'm too young for a replacement and anyway I want kids first!!

Anyway, just thought I'd check in and say I'm still here!!

Still here and still compliant. Yesterday and today I have had the worst gas. I ate brussels sprouts so now I'm eliminating those to see if that was the problem. Other than that little problem I feel good. I had some issues with a bag of apple chips and told my daughter to take them away. It's so easy to grab a few as I walk by the pantry. Everyone seems to be doing well. I get the email notifications and read them all day. Now I'm off to the gym. Have a great Thursday!

#3 tip: Epic bars... Portable and no refrigeration needed.

I bought some of these to take up north this weekend. I know there will be a couple of times I won't have a microwave, so this will serve as a meal along with some fresh veggies. 

Yup!  That is totally my neck of the woods, I live a bit further southwest but my sister lives in New Carlisle so most of my "niece chasing" happens right where you will be.  I will have to remember to wear a blonde wig and dark glasses if I end up in line at that Starbucks...something that happens nearly every weekend as my non-Whole30 family is entrenched in never passing a frappucinno up.  Naturally I've stuck to the plain unsweetened iced coffees as of late.  But it could look incriminating. 

No judging here! Besides, even without the wig and glasses, in MY head, you look like your avatar! LOL We will probably be eating at the Cheesecake Factory. I'll be looking for menu possibilities before we go. And NOT having the cheesecake! (Might take one of the Larabars to help if I'm feeling cheated!)

I vote for migrating as a group to stay connected, regardless of if we are continuing on w/Whole30(+) or doing re-introductions!

It makes me SO happy that we are doing this. Never in my life has support been so important, as I continue on this new lifestyle. I'm even looking forward to having blood work done next month. That isn't something I've ever said before! And I checked my BP with my home monitor the other day. On meds, it's usually at or slightly above normal. This time, it was 102 over 57. Might be a glitch in the cheap monitor, probably some real improvement! And I haven't been taking my BP meds as regularly as I should. (Two doses a day, but I'm taking one...ish--not intentionally, I just suck at remembering it!)

I'm going to finish packing for my trip. Because many of the things I make don't have a lot of healthy fat in them from cooking, I'm taking EVOO to drizzle on before popping them in the microwave. Not my first choice, but I don't see avocados being a good travel food in a car filled with women, groceries, and a ton of luggage. But everything I eat will be 100% W30 compliant! I will be reading all posts while I'm gone, but not responding much--my phone keyboard is just not that compatible with my stubby fingers! But know that I am with you all in spirit as we near our 30 day goal and begin to prepare for the next road. 

Thank you all for being here every day to share the journey!  :wub:

Day 0: Moment of truth: I consumed a very blatant non-compliant item on Saturday, September 19th. After 20 days of Whole30 compliance. Ironically, I think it started with my intention to reduce fruit and nuts which backfired! I could make excuses forever, bottom line is I knew what I was doing, it was an intentional decision, a choice I made. I regret it. Especially now that I've tried to return to compliance and have struggled so much more. Struggling with the mentality that I've messed up what's the point of continuing especially since that's how the program is outlined which I completely understand and respect.Trying not to have the "what the hell effect?" because I could still benefit from eating this way longterm and not returning to old habits that don't serve me.  Anyway, I don't want to be triggering to anyone else who may be struggling but I'm seeking some words of wisdom on how to get back on track when you have derailed hard.  :(

Hey Shosh,  I'm proud of you for sharing what happened and how you're feeling.  You're headed in the right direction.  Please get back on this wagon with us.  It'll be worth the ride and the ride will get easier!  Sending you lots of healthy eats mojo!  You Can Do This.  I know it.  Hope you realize it too.

hey everyone, just checking in to say I'm still here with you. Can't believe its Day 24!!

I've had a few almost quits -- pulling allnighters at work where I really needed junk food and then wine, mom/daughter dates where the waiter says sorry, miss all of our food as sugar or dairy in it, and walking through the mall food court and dreading another Cava supergreen bowl and smelling all the other food.

But that aside, I feel great. I feel and look so good, that I've inspired 3 people to try it!

I wish that I could live like this all the time, but I know I will have to go back to real life. So I look forward to using this group, and the principles/life message as much as I can. And make good choices.

I wish that I could live like this all the time, but I know I will have to go back to real life. So I look forward to using this group, and the principles/life message as much as I can. And make good choices.

Great job on sticking it out and staying strong against temptations and obstacles!  You might find that it gradually gets easier to change your diet with each whole30 you do or just over time as you become more aware of how certain foods make you feel.  Plus you get better at finding places that you can eat and enjoy compliant meals.  

Here we are in the last week!  

I struggled with a decision about a supplement I take for fibroids that was working for me but isn't Whole30 compliant.  I began taking blackstrap molasses for them and it was actually working but I decided to put the regimen on hold for the 30 days of the challenge.  I continued taking my daily apple cider vinegar hoping that would be enough but alas, it hasn't been.  At this point I can't wait for day 31 so I can start taking it again because they are hurting and starting to feel bigger again.  I know people have used it for iron but iron is not why I take it.  Honestly, by the time I do my 5th challenge I might make exception on this one for medical reasons.  No other treatment has worked for me and I'm not sure I'll be willing to stop it again.  Maybe I shouldn't have stopped it this time.  

Hey everyone!

Just checking in to say that I'm still here and staying compliant! Day 24!! I need to do some catch up reading on everyone's posts.

Last weekend, my cravings for wine and ice cream seemed to have subsided. I was feeling pretty good and staying on track. We even had my brother and future sister-in-law over for a healthy dinner of spaghetti squash, homemade sauce, and chicken meatballs. I love them dearly but they are always the first to turn their nose up at "healthy foods." However, I got some lovely compliments that evening =)

The last day or so, I keep having thoughts of giving up. "Ehh, 23 days is good enough" "What's one glass of wine?"

I actually had a dream last night in which I decided I was done! I was at a beach party and I was going to eat a cookie. I though, "I've done the best I can do and I want this cookie!" And then after eating this cookie that didn't even taste very good, I was so disappointed in myself. I felt that I had let myself down and that I was so close to the end I had just thrown it away.

Boy was I relieved when I woke up!

So I have new energy today. I don't think I have experienced "Tiger blood" but I have some other NSV's:

-My blood sugar must be staying even since I haven't been feeling that afternoon slump

-Pants that were too tight to button before will actually button now! My clothing is fitting better overall

-I am sleeping better than I have in years

-My stomach issues are subsiding and I'm feeling less bloated

So 6 days to go! I am excited to reintroduce a few things, but for the most part, my husband and I have already made some decisions about what to keep in the house and what not to buy. I'm getting used to meal planning and cooking each night. I think it's a great habit to continue. This process, at the very least, has made us so aware of what we put into our bodies. I'm so grateful for that.

No judging here! Besides, even without the wig and glasses, in MY head, you look like your avatar! LOL

Are you saying that perhaps you do not believe my photo is an accurate representation of me?!!?  Hoot!  I was going to say I had posted a selfie once before but it was in our June group's "after party" thread and it doesn't do much more to show my face since it was all about the arrival of my newest niece.  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28929-612015-riding-our-own-bikes-together/?p=324165

Sadly, our after party pretty much dwindled down to the three of us you have seen here...Vozelle, Abiswarbrick, and myself.  Still if you want to check it out and see how some of us fared after our first Whole30 you are welcome to read our story.  Some real life success/struggle stories to help plan your own reintro.  You guys have been a much more vocal group all along I think, so don't let our meager numbers discourage you.  You have my full support for sticking together and I do plan to hang around myself.  And let's be honest, having Vozelle the Whole30 Grocery Ninja is kind of like having the energy of a group of 10, so there is that.    

Great job on sticking it out and staying strong against temptations and obstacles!  You might find that it gradually gets easier to change your diet with each whole30 you do or just over time as you become more aware of how certain foods make you feel.  Plus you get better at finding places that you can eat and enjoy compliant meals.  

I agree with this, the more you build up a collection of new recipes/tools/techniques that you truly enjoy (not just tolerate to stay compliant) the more this becomes feasible.  The hardest part of making this change is walking away from a lifetime of "go-to" options and dishes that no longer work for you even though they were easy and delicious...replacing them with new easy and delicious is going to take time!  Heck, some of those mainstays of your previous diet were probably even handed down to you, so we are talking about reinventing generations worth of food habits. 

I think I mentioned before that one thing I felt really helped me right about now was looking back over what I ate and making a list of things I really wanted to keep.  For me this was things like, I actually liked avocado oil/salt/pepper as a baked potato topping even more than I liked butter.  That's something I would have done again even if I had walked away from Whole30 completely.  Are there things from your Whole30 that you enjoyed so much you would do them again even given all the options back? 

I can't say my list was huge at the end of 30 days, but it's still growing, and someday that will be the new normal.  By the way I'm still nearly inhaling that chocolate chili even on Day 4 of it being lunch, I gotta say that's probably going on the list.  One more line filled in!

Day #1: Wow! Thanks for ALL of the support and encouragement. You guys are exceptionally generous and understanding. Part of me was thinking I would be shunned and blocked from posting further?!?! Oh, the shame!  :o  Anyway, healthy compliant breakfast today and packed lunch plus a plan for dinner this evening and an epic bar and pear for a snack if I need it. Feeling optimistic about starting over and accepting that it's okay, I rarely do things perfectly but I do them to completion at some point! Thanks again gang. You guys rock. Although I won't be celebrating a full Whole30 with you next week I'll be there in spirit and be about one week into my own Whole30 reset attempt. Thanks! 

Day #1: Wow! Thanks for ALL of the support and encouragement. You guys are exceptionally generous and understanding. Part of me was thinking I would be shunned and blocked from posting further?!?! Oh, the shame!  :o  Anyway, healthy compliant breakfast today and packed lunch plus a plan for dinner this evening and an epic bar and pear for a snack if I need it. Feeling optimistic about starting over and accepting that it's okay, I rarely do things perfectly but I do them to completion at some point! Thanks again gang. You guys rock. Although I won't be celebrating a full Whole30 with you next week I'll be there in spirit and be about one week into my own Whole30 reset attempt. Thanks! 

She back!!!! Hurray Hurray Hurray. I started over because of green peas so I am technically not finishing either but I intend to do another 30 days and not reintro so plan to migrate with the group. I hope you will migrate with us--you are family you know. Your snack needs to be protein and fat, not just a pear, remember? That may be a reason your sugar dragon reared its head. xx

Morning

It is amazing to me the insights and realizations we are all having after these few days (I know it has seemed longer at times but really in the scheme of things it has only been a few days). I have never in all the diets I have loved and lost (couldn't let a new one go by without trying!), learned so much and realized more what I need and want to do for me, as I have with this programme.

I think Tiger Blood is a double edged sword; some have so much more energy, I have more sustained energy which I love but the other side is the power to stand up and say what I need. We are going out for lunch on Saturday, to people I have never met and I am going to phone and explain I am not eating certain food items. Previously I would worry myself sick, not eat much and be hungry or uncomfortable so I wouldn't seem rude. Tiger Blood rides again. :)

I am sleeping so much better and am so much more relaxed around the entire food issue. I plan to try some recipes and do more exercise the next 30 days. 

Hope you are enjoying your day/night. x

I thought the same "24 is almost as good as 30!" I've been struggling, but I think I may have figured out why: my body is used to burning fat now and if it doesnt get enough it gets pissy. I had to rush my breakfast today and boy did I feel it! You guys think that's why my tiger blood is poopy?

...And I checked my BP with my home monitor the other day. On meds, it's usually at or slightly above normal. This time, it was 102 over 57...

AWESOME, you!

...I wish that I could live like this all the time, but I know I will have to go back to real life...

I agree with what a few others have said, that this way of life DOES get easier over time... it DOES become the "new normal"! And the health (and weight) benefits will keep unfolding as the months/years roll by. Doing the reintroductions will help you figure out what else you can add to your diet for variety and fun... then you get to ride your own bike and find your balance!  : ) 

...Vozelle the Whole30 Grocery Ninja is kind of like having the energy of a group of 10...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA haha! Made me laugh out loud (for a lengthy period of time) at work. Well done.  ; )

...I thought the same "24 is almost as good as 30!"...

Sounds like you gals are ahead of the timeline!... check it out:

Day 28: 28 is as good as 30…right?

It’s day 28. DAY 28! You’ve almost made it!  You pushed through all the rough spots, fought off the food boredom, and you’re really loving where you are right now.  You’ve had a solid breakfast, packed a delicious lunch, and planned a stellar new recipe for dinner. You’re primed to make it through day 28 without breaking a sweat. But then you get to work. Today is your department’s monthly birthday celebration, and at the mid-morning break a co-worker teases, “You’ve been so good for 28 days! Isn’t 28 as good as 30? Just have one cupcake with us to celebrate.” You brush the comment off – you’re used to them at this point – but it really gets you thinking. What have you got to lose at this point?  What benefit could two more days possibly bring you? Isn’t 28 days just as good as 30?

The answer is a loud and resounding NO. 28 days is NOT as good as 30, and we’ll tell you why: You owe yourself 30 days. You made a commitment to give yourself 30 full days of Good Food and improved habits. When you make a commitment to self-improvement, it’s a big deal! If you cop out now, you’re telling yourself that the commitments you make to yourself are open to compromise. You’re telling yourself that you are not important enough to honor your commitment to you.  But that’s not true, is it? You ARE important. You ARE worth a full commitment. Require that of yourself and celebrate with a renewed sense of integrity, not a cupcake.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/#sthash.GANcHdpW.dpuf

So somewhere along the line I missed the definition for NSV and have been puzzling it out as best I could: No Silly Venture, Nine Sure Vices, etc, I asked my husband what he thought and without missing a beat or taking a breath he said; "No Such Vegetable"--that was two days ago and I am still laughing. Thank goodness a posting was labelled, Non Scale Victory--mystery solved.

We're almost to the finish line! I've been struggling with some cravings for bread this week. Now I have celiac disease and can't eat bread whether I'm on the W30 or not or the consequences are really bad so I have no idea where this stupid craving came from. At least its not for something I could actually eat.

I went out with friends to Surf Rider for lunch on Tuesday. I ordered a pound of steamed shrimp and broccoli. I nearly always have this when I go there. Now their serving of broccoli is not a little spoonful of overcooked mush, it's an entire head of broccoli, in tact, and steamed to perfection. I took half the food home for lunch the next day. It was so good.

The benefits I'm seeing every day help to keep me on plan. I'm sure its easier for me in that I'm a widow and live alone so there are no temptations in my house or no one to encourage me to just have a taste. I fully intend to keep going for another 30 days for the habits of 73 years can be hard to break and I want to be sure they are changed. My birthday will be October 9 but that won't be a problem. I'll tell my friends it's Surf Rider or Harpoon Larry's for dinner and have excellent seafood.

I have a confession to make. I know one of the rules is not to weigh yourself. I couldn't help it. I've noticed my face has been thinning out, and I was curious to see what's going on. So 6 days left and I did it. I stepped on the scale. I know it's not all about weight, but it still is very important to me. I need knee surgery. The specialist I saw won't take me seriously until I loose the weight I've gained since tearing my ACL. So after 24 days, I'm down Xpounds! I know in the end everyone is different. Some of you will have a more successful weight loss, and some will not. The important thing is that we finish or keep getting back on the horse if we fall. Continuing in October, and probably November and December. Super pumped. 

NSV:  Yesterday I just HAD to have some roasted veggies for lunch.  Nothing else would do.  Such a departure from my old way of eating!

Also, I cleaned out my closet and found I fit into a pair of pants I've been holding onto for a few years.  They gave me a small muffin top, but the should be gone soon. It felt GOOD!

Still plugging along. One thing I like about day 25 is that I have foods in my house to eat if I haven't planned dinner. Last night I didn't want to make something big so I cooked up some aidell's chicken sausage, green beans, and sweet potato hash browns. It was delicious and fast. I didn't snack after which was great. Heading into the weekend feeling good. I already told my friends I'd DD for our night out on Saturday. I'll be drinking a club soda and lime. :D

DAY 25!

I've had a couple people mention that I look like I've lost weight...even to the point of saying things like, "You look good!"  Or, "Wow!"  Does anyone else find these comments depressing?  I mean, it's nice for others to tell you that you appear thinner, I get that, and I like hearing that part.  But I grew up in an overweight household where my weight was never a definition of my beauty.  It kinda stings a little to hear that I look good NOW, like I didn't before?  Maybe I'm being a brat for saying that, if so I'm sorry for that.  I do always say thank you to those who mention that I look smaller, better, whatever.  But inside I kind of feel like the old me was ugly and it makes me a bit sad, ya know?  I know this program is not about weight...heck we ALL know that, but there's a major part of it about transitioning and changing.  And under that umbrella lies weight loss.

I went into this program focusing on fixing the inside...I never realized that outside needed fixing too :)

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I'm just trying to figure how to handle these emotions of transitioning into a different body and appearance.

I have a confession to make. I know one of the rules is not to weigh yourself. I couldn't help it. I've noticed my face has been thinning out, and I was curious to see what's going on. So 6 days left and I did it. I stepped on the scale. I know it's not all about weight, but it still is very important to me. I need knee surgery. The specialist I saw won't take me seriously until I loose the weight I've gained since tearing my ACL. So after 24 days, I'm down Xpounds! I know in the end everyone is different. Some of you will have a more successful weight loss, and some will not. The important thing is that we finish or keep getting back on the horse if we fall. Continuing in October, and probably November and December. Super pumped. 

Yep, not stepping on the scale is one of the rules and if you choose to break that rule we'd REALLY prefer you didn't then post your results here for all to see as it may (unintentionally) encourage others to do the same & as you've said yourself not everyone had the same starting point, and so not everyone will have the same results which may demotivate some people, when infact their magic could still be waiting in the wings for them.

At the end of the day the number on the scale does not define anyone here, and health is our main focus - I've edited your post accordingly.

Archived