Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

... back to the scale... here's a few possible scenarios on weigh-in day:

I know there are other possible scenarios, as we are each unique individuals, but I don't want to make this post any longer than it is right now... : )

Have a GREAT Day 28 everyone (or most, anyway!).

I wish I could "like" this post 100 times - nice job, vozelle!  :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some tech troubles this morning...but the new thread is up!

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/31456-the-tiger-tots-of-the-cfc/

Don't forget to check in if you plan to stay part of the group there and also sign up to follow it if you want email notifications of new posts.  I would expect most of us to continue posting here until the 30 days are complete, but if you were an early start and want to share your "after" story there or here it's totally up to you.  Like I did for June, I linked our thread here so you can easily access this 67+ crazy pages of conversation later.

You will all be relieved to hear that I survived the weekend without eating a single crysanthemum.   

Day 28!

Thanks for getting us started on the new thread. I love the name. This has been such an amazing group.

I'll be continuing for another 30 days as I have some health problems that will probably improve some more. I'm perfectly content with the food I've been eating and trying new recipes. I'm tired of writing my food into a diary so starting October 1 I'm going to take pictures of my meals instead. It'll be a visual reminder of exactly what and how much I'm eating.

Hey team

Well it is interesting for me today.  I have been motoring with my workouts and was pretty lax this morning (played a game or two on my phone and did some light stretching) before getting ready to start my workout.  Deadlifts (3 x 13 x 150 Lbs) and 400 M sprints were on the docket.  I got done the 7th deadlift in my first set and felt a fish flop in over in my back (a muscle).  I thought "that was weird" and tried to do #8.  I stopped at 8 and never did try to do any more or do the 400 M sprints.  I am hurting pretty bad.  I was able to get into my athletic massage person today at lunch but it did not really help.  I see laying on the floor, ice and rest in my near future.  

I was 100% on W30 compliance this weekend and feeling good.  I made a batch of W30 home-fries (potato, onion. coconut oil, seasonings) that were a bit of a miss (overcooked the potato and it was a bit of a mash).  Still a good starch side-dish.

Other than my back, I am feeling pretty darn good.  

I have made a decision regarding next month and my eating.  In the past (other than my first W30), I have always decided to go extra time on the W30 protocol and unfortunately, I end up somewhere between day 45 and day 90 where life, family, willpower or something else places a challenge in my way and I give in resulting in an off-program food choice.  This can then end up being a launching pad for successive food choices. As such, an abrupt stop to W30 has hurt my ability to collect data on how my re-introductions affect my body (other than in W30 #1 in 2012)

This time, I am going to plan a formal re-introduction starting in early October and really follow the re-introduction path to learn again and better than my first W30 (in 2012) about how the food I re-introduce really affects me.  I deserve some good data and then to get back to W30 again (before the end of the Month).  Last year, October 31 (the day that shall not be named) was a deep spiral for me and I took some time away from healthy eating (read 2-3 months) before getting my feet under me and making good choices again.  

As such, i will do re-introduction followed by another strong W30.  This is the complete opposite of what I typically do so maybe it will make good sense to me putting a priority on the n=1 experiment and giving myself more input on healthy eating as defined by me (and my body).

I think I am going to have to ask for help tonight.  I have made every morsel that has entered my mouth over the last 28 days other than 3 meals where I have eaten out (at the same restaurant because I know I can order a W30 meal there).  Tonight I am going to have to ask my wife to make dinner for her, the kids and myself.  Dinner for me tonight is pretty easy but I don' like asking but tonight ... I will need help!  I have found a comfortable way to sit in my cube right now and I am OK as long as I don't have to move.  If I was smart, I would stop drinking my coffee because I know that will result in me have to go to the loo in a bit.  However, my love of coffee my far outweighs my desire to avoid pain.

Hope you all have a good Monday and look forward to the 30-day milestone.

BTW... I am supposed to be on the road the night of Sept 30 - Oct 1, 2015 (back willing).  As such, I will not be weighing in until October 2, 2015.  Expect my results posted sometime on Friday.

Cheers

DJ

Today is the first day since Thursday that I haven't had a headache start up around 10am and linger for most of the day.  My run was stronger again this morning too.  An upswing?  I'll take it.  I don't think these issues were Whole30 related but sleep related.  We've had too much going on and I'm not getting enough sleep.  Last night I got a bit more (30 minutes) and tonight I hope to add another 30 minutes.

I had chili over a chopped romaine salad with chimichurri dressing for lunch.  It was seriously the bomb-diggity!

As I said yesterday, I'm going to savor these last three days.  And then I'm probably going to continue on.  Sugars & grains need more time.  Snacking needs more time.  I never really eat beans & cheese anyways.  And I rarely drink..I"m a one glass girl...so that I'll do when I want.

I'm glad we have a new group!  I am so excited to read posts and hear how you're all winding down.  Enjoy the rest of you day.  peace.

Well here I am folks, day 29!  As someone else on here has already said, this 30 days has both taken its sweet time and gone by so quickly.  I can't believe we're almost done.  I'm still trying to figure out my re-intro plan.  I think I will do dairy re-intro first, then legumes, then non-gluten grains, then gluten grains.  My plan is to do a super-fast track re-intro with only one day separating the different groups (so day 1 dairy, then whole30 eating day 2, day 3 legumes, etc).  I don't know if this will give me enough time to fully know how each group treats me, but I'm going on vacation on October 7th and I will not try to be compliant while I'm gone, and I want to be somewhat done with re-intro by the time I leave.  I would really like to start another Whole30 when I get back - I'd set my start date as October 12th - and I think that it's totally do-able, but I will be honest in saying I'm having a hard time cutting out alcohol.  And it's purely for social reasons too - not that I think I need it - but I feel like I'm missing out.  Truly my body does not miss alcohol, but it's nice to be able to kick back with a cocktail or wine with friends or my husband when I want to.  I think that's the only thing really keeping me back from 100% committing to another one.  I hope to keep going in the new thread with y'all.

I will weigh in on Wednesday and report my results, but to be honest I don't feel like I've lost much if any weight.  And I do have some weight to lose.  While I think I'll be a little bummed if that number isn't lower than I'd like it to be, I don't think it will ruin my day.

We got this!  Just need to push through for a couple more days!

Ok ladies (and gent), most of you will be weighing in this Thursday, so LET'S TALK ABOUT THE SCALE. Seriously, it is important to understand what "that number" represents before you let it take over your whole psyche: 

The number on your scale represents the weight of your whole body, including all the tissues, organs, bones, fluids, etc.... but for our purposes, let's talk about the 2 important ones: FAT (AKA Adipose tissue) and MUSCLE (AKA Lean Body Mass). These two different types of tissue are what folks are referring to when they talk about improvements in "Body Composition" (i.e., less fat tissue and more muscle mass makes your body feel healthier, your clothes fit better, and your energy levels higher). On the Whole30 program, you are feeding the MUSCLE tissue and increasing it's mass, while you are burning and releasing FAT tissue (if the body is healthy enough to do so). This is AWESOME for your metabolism, because LEAN BODY MASS/MUSCLE is the kind of tissue that BURNS CALORIES. The more MUSCLE you have, the more efficient your "engine" is. Please understand that your scale only gives you ONE number, it does not tell you what percentage is FAT and what percentage is MUSCLE... and that is a big deal. A 140 pound woman who is 40% body fat is an entirely different person than one who is 25% body fat. Check with your gym or fitness professional about getting your Body Composition measured, and read up online about how to track it at home if you want to. Trust me, your Body COmposition percentages are WAY more important and informative than the single number your dumb scale shows you!!

SO... back to the scale... here's a few possible scenarios on weigh-in day:

#1) You lost a lot of weight, and your clothes fit better. Wow! You are going to be stoked, certain that the Whole30 program has "worked" for you. Congrats! Keep pursuing your goals, but don't let that number define you. Keep feeding the MUSCLE and burning the FAT.

#2) You lost little (to no) weight, but your clothes fit better and you have more energy. Wow! You have had a shift in body composition, which is awesome and proves you're heading in the right direction... you now have more muscle mass (which shows up as better "tone" and improves the way your clothes fit because MUSCLE is lean/dense tissue, whereas FAT is bulky and lumpy). If you keep up your healthy eating lifestyle, and maybe add some exercise in if you haven't already, and maybe adjust your meal template if you need to, pounds of fat will have no choice but to drop off eventually. DO NOT FALL INTO THE ILLUSION THAT THIS PROGRAM HASEN'T "WORKED" FOR YOU!!

#3) You lost little (to no) weight, and your clothes fit the same... you feel you've had "no results". Your body has probably been emphasizing healing internal issues and imbalances (especially in the case of chronic health conditions), and it has not yet found enough equilibrium to safely shed fat tissue. Review the NSV list in the Whole30 book (pp.43-44), and look at the results you HAVE had. If you have improved energy, you can almost bet you have more MUSCLE tissue, so congrats on that. If you have improved skin, you can bet your body has released toxins and is running "cleaner" now! Consider extending your Whole30, or doing another one soon... and/or working with a functional medicine practitioner to guide you. DO NOT GO BACK TO YOUR OLD CARB/SUGAR HABITS, they will not help you!! Trust this process, and give it more time.

I know there are other possible scenarios, as we are each unique individuals, but I don't want to make this post any longer than it is right now... : )

This post needs a new button, like is just not enough. You nailed the entire process and I think at some point over the past several years I have had all of these reactions, W30 has taken the fright out of the scale for me but seeing it all written down has had an impact. Many thanks, Vozelle.

This post needs a new button, like is just not enough. You nailed the entire process and I think at some point over the past several years I have had all of these reactions, W30 has taken the fright out of the scale for me but seeing it all written down has had an impact. Many thanks, Vozelle.

Agreed! I'm not as bad as I used to be about letting the number on the scale freak me out, but it's good to have everything laid out so clearly! I know my clothes fit differently, and that's a really big deal. The rest is (gluten-free) gravy!!

My weekend away went well. There were things that I would not have been able to resist before, but I was fine with leaving them alone. Those W30 restrictions are pretty handy that way. And I've already told my daughters that I will still be doing it this weekend while we are all together. My daughter's boyfriend does much of the cooking at their house, so he's been warned as well. We'll make a plan on Friday for menus, etc.

I think my reintro will include just legumes and dairy (either full or almost full fat or fermented). No need to add back sugar (ESPECIALLY sugar!) or grains. Those seem to be the craving-inducing foods, and I don't want to deal with that. Not sure about alcohol. I'm a beer girl, and I don't know how that will fly. Will have to see at a later date. Now off to make dinner and get a few things done!

Agreed! I'm not as bad as I used to be about letting the number on the scale freak me out, but it's good to have everything laid out so clearly! I know my clothes fit differently, and that's a really big deal. The rest is (gluten-free) gravy!!

My weekend away went well. There were things that I would not have been able to resist before, but I was fine with leaving them alone. Those W30 restrictions are pretty handy that way. And I've already told my daughters that I will still be doing it this weekend while we are all together. My daughter's boyfriend does much of the cooking at their house, so he's been warned as well. We'll make a plan on Friday for menus, etc.

I think my reintro will include just legumes and dairy (either full or almost full fat or fermented). No need to add back sugar (ESPECIALLY sugar!) or grains. Those seem to be the craving-inducing foods, and I don't want to deal with that. Not sure about alcohol. I'm a beer girl, and I don't know how that will fly. Will have to see at a later date. Now off to make dinner and get a few things done!

Glad to hear your weekend went well.  Sounds like you have the next leg of the journey well planned and under control. Well done you.

I am not going to do reintro for a while, think will head for another 30 days, even though I officially started over don't think the peas I ate did much to slow me down so the 30 is now just another number like the scale. One day at a time. :)

Had an okay day. I was hungry and don't think I brought enough for breakfast or lunch. I just want to go to bed. I was wondering if anyone knew if the Aidell's meatballs were compliant? I bought some at costco yesterday but won't eat them until I know for sure. 

http://www.aidells.com/product/31

Ruita, what flavor? Looks like some might be, some not...

Ruita, what flavor? Looks like some might be, some not...

It's the basil garlic. They don't have the meatballs on the website but it has the same ingredients as the basil garlic sausage. The only thing different is organic sun dried tomatoes. 

Some tech troubles this morning...but the new thread is up!

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/31456-the-tiger-tots-of-the-cfc/

Don't forget to check in if you plan to stay part of the group there and also sign up to follow it if you want email notifications of new posts.  I would expect most of us to continue posting here until the 30 days are complete, but if you were an early start and want to share your "after" story there or here it's totally up to you.  Like I did for June, I linked our thread here so you can easily access this 67+ crazy pages of conversation later.

You will all be relieved to hear that I survived the weekend without eating a single crysanthemum.   

I will be following the new thread but I plan to do some re-intro within the next week, too. Does anyone else or is the new thread just for Whole30 + days? 

I will be following the new thread but I plan to do some re-intro within the next week, too. Does anyone else or is the new thread just for Whole30 + days? 

Anyone who was with us at any point is welcome to the CFC, in my opinion and I feel sure all will agree.  We will be at different points, some people are starting reintro right away...some not for awhile yet, and some are still getting the first 30 done after a restart...so the conversation will be a little more all over the board than here where we were all mostly on the same page. 

I won't be doing strict Whole30 again until January, or at least that is my current plan.  I will talk some more about that soon as I have all of 2016 mapped out, LOL! 

But to answer your question, I do expect a good percent of us will be doing some kind of reintro and sharing that is definitely part of the conversation we want to have.   

I am going to be about 90 percent Whole 30 compliant and I think a lot of us are planning on trying to stick to the healthier Clean eating so we can keep going... I don't think the whole group is  aiming for 100%... We all liked the comraderie and wanted to keep it going whatever you are trying to do.  I think the main thing is the Clean eating and sticking to the healthy eating plan.

One of the emails lately talked of giving up or doing other things for 30 days. Like giving up TV or coffee. I am contemplating something. Now I love my coffee but I don't feel I actually need it to wake up. I am not a morning person and I hit the snooze at least once but once I am up I am fine. Since week 2 I have slept well and I have a lot more energy..I have not given up my coffee because of taste and habit. One of the habits I have been able to break with my coffee is the craving for something sweet with it. I guess I haven't given up coffee as a way to keep tempting myself and proving my resolve. But now I think I can do it. 

I went to an antique market over the weekend. Lots of food vendors and some of it was really tempting. I was surprised any of it smelled good but it did. I brought a Larabar, apple and boiled egg to tide me over. I even thought I could find something else to eat on the way home but didn't. By the time I did get home I was very hungry. Still didn't give into cravings so I am making the progress I have wanted. 

Another nsv today was a co-worker asked me what I was doing to lose weight. Wasn't one of my dieting coworkers. It was nice to be able to talk about how and what I eat and why. He even asked if my grocery bill went up. It hasn't. Not buying any processed food really saves money. 

Well I was away all weekend with my daughter and 11 of her teammates at a tennis tournament two hours away. Had to wake up at 4:15 am both days and drive to tournie's for 8 am matches. I am dragging a little today but managed to work all day, clean the car, cook up a bunch of ground turkey and Chicken, go shopping, clean out fridge, cook up potato and sweet potato, boil up a bunch of eggs...and basically get my fridge ready just like I would if I was still going to be in my Whole 30. Basically I will continue to be eating that way with some re-introductions like legumes... Yes will be the legumes first. I have not been dying for cheese so am going to put that one off.

Tomorrow I will weigh myself...I know that I have definitely lost a lot of weight...my clothes are fitting way more loosely. I started making better food choices and moving more about mid June. Bought a fit bit June 26th, July started moving more and around mid July started to eat whole 30ish after a friend told me about it- no dairy, legumes, sugar, grains most of the time and then in August did my first Whole 28 (oops ate some uncompliant bacon at sales meeting) and September will be my first Whole 30- today is my Day 30.

I would say I am about half way thru my weight lose... I still have a ways to go but feel so so much better. I am only going to weigh myself once a month on a Higi Station... this is another thing I plan on keeping from the Whole 30 program. I am getting so sleeeeepppeee! Think I better catch some z's. will post my loss data tomorrow am, maybe :) Good luck to everyone... last few days will come easy I hope for all... You got this guys. Best, C

Ok ladies (and gent), most of you will be weighing in this Thursday, so LET'S TALK ABOUT THE SCALE. Seriously, it is important to understand what "that number" represents before you let it take over your whole psyche: 

The number on your scale represents the weight of your whole body, including all the tissues, organs, bones, fluids, etc.... but for our purposes, let's talk about the 2 important ones: FAT (AKA Adipose tissue) and MUSCLE (AKA Lean Body Mass). These two different types of tissue are what folks are referring to when they talk about improvements in "Body Composition" (i.e., less fat tissue and more muscle mass makes your body feel healthier, your clothes fit better, and your energy levels higher). On the Whole30 program, you are feeding the MUSCLE tissue and increasing it's mass, while you are burning and releasing FAT tissue (if the body is healthy enough to do so). This is AWESOME for your metabolism, because LEAN BODY MASS/MUSCLE is the kind of tissue that BURNS CALORIES. The more MUSCLE you have, the more efficient your "engine" is. Please understand that your scale only gives you ONE number, it does not tell you what percentage is FAT and what percentage is MUSCLE... and that is a big deal. A 140 pound woman who is 40% body fat is an entirely different person than one who is 25% body fat. Check with your gym or fitness professional about getting your Body Composition measured, and read up online about how to track it at home if you want to. Trust me, your Body COmposition percentages are WAY more important and informative than the single number your dumb scale shows you!!

SO... back to the scale... here's a few possible scenarios on weigh-in day:

#1) You lost a lot of weight, and your clothes fit better. Wow! You are going to be stoked, certain that the Whole30 program has "worked" for you. Congrats! Keep pursuing your goals, but don't let that number define you. Keep feeding the MUSCLE and burning the FAT.

#2) You lost little (to no) weight, but your clothes fit better and you have more energy. Wow! You have had a shift in body composition, which is awesome and proves you're heading in the right direction... you now have more muscle mass (which shows up as better "tone" and improves the way your clothes fit because MUSCLE is lean/dense tissue, whereas FAT is bulky and lumpy). If you keep up your healthy eating lifestyle, and maybe add some exercise in if you haven't already, and maybe adjust your meal template if you need to, pounds of fat will have no choice but to drop off eventually. DO NOT FALL INTO THE ILLUSION THAT THIS PROGRAM HASEN'T "WORKED" FOR YOU!!

#3) You lost little (to no) weight, and your clothes fit the same... you feel you've had "no results". Your body has probably been emphasizing healing internal issues and imbalances (especially in the case of chronic health conditions), and it has not yet found enough equilibrium to safely shed fat tissue. Review the NSV list in the Whole30 book (pp.43-44), and look at the results you HAVE had. If you have improved energy, you can almost bet you have more MUSCLE tissue, so congrats on that. If you have improved skin, you can bet your body has released toxins and is running "cleaner" now! Consider extending your Whole30, or doing another one soon... and/or working with a functional medicine practitioner to guide you. DO NOT GO BACK TO YOUR OLD CARB/SUGAR HABITS, they will not help you!! Trust this process, and give it more time.

Great info and reminder to pay attention to any and all differences in the last 30 days.  I'm still not feeling the "magic" except that I feel "clean".  I'm debating staying Whole 30 another few days to see if I notice more of a change or do the reintroduction of foods to see how my body responds.

Hello everyone! Day 29 approaching, I can hardly believe it! My re intro is going to be a bit odd. I switch to day shift on Wed and do 3 in a row. I'm going to reintroduce a bit of milk in my coffee, but that's it, and maybe a grain Friday night? I can't be having reactions on the floor. This weekend we're going out of town for our 1 year wedding anniversary. I've made a decision to pick the healthiest decisions I can. I don't want to make myself sick. Ex: plain steak for anniversary dinner. This thinking and the actual WANT to do it us a huge nsv for me. Normally I'd just gourge! Just going to have to be careful in what I eat!

Looking forward to next group.

I had an NSV tonight - I was still hungry after dinner and thought about having some dates, but I went with a cup of herbal tea instead. Still trying to break the "I need something sweet after dinner" habit!

You're most likely looking for something to cleanse the palette so some pickles or a couple of spoonfuls of sauerkraut will work in the same way - or even something like a few chunks of cucumber.

Archived