Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Good morning all.  Excited about being on day 29! I really can't believe it.

Since I've gotten in a little bit more of a groove with cooking lately, some meals have been getting a bit repetitive and food boredom set in this weekend.  So, I was perusing through Melissa Joulwans site yesterday and decided to try a new recipe.  I made some delicious potato salad. It is soooo gooooood!! 

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/07/22/classic-paleo-potato-salad/ I use the mayo recipe MelissaT recommended early on (http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/) and it came out amazing.  I didn't use all the ingredients in the potato salad recipe but I used what I had on hand and added a few extra spices.

Also, It's been a constant fight peeling HB eggs.  I've even decided not to eat them a couple times because I didn't feel like battling with those darn shells. Well I tried Melissa Joulwan's 'recipe' for HB eggs and it worked like a charm!!!  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/09/08/perfectly-peelable-hard-boiled-eggs/

We had burgers for dinner last night but switched it up a bit and added some ground sausage to the ground sirloin.  It was soo yummy! 

With the tasty burgers and yummy potato salad, it's just what I needed to get over my food boredom and remind me how delicious W30 can be!

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's day 29 and I haven't had any slips.  I see now is time when people are contemplating whether to continue longer or else how to begin their reintro.  I wish everyone luck with your decisions and life beyond whole30.  I will only be reintroducting natural sugars small amounts and occasional drinks to my diet.  Maybe quinoa since I have never specifically tested that or goat's milk since I'm terribly allergic to cow dairy.  I doubt i'd bring it back to my diet but it might be a good opportunity to know how if affects me.  I'm in no rush but I do have some curiosity.    

Pep talk:

Stay strong!  Don't listen to your own excuses or rationalizations about cheating on any of the rules as you near the end.  Stay 100% not just to day 30 but through the reintroduction for those rules and procedures.  It's so worth it to reap the rewards you worked so hard for all along.  Reintroduction, for many, can require far more discipline than the 30 days before, like keeping water flow under control as you've just broken the dam.  Please don't get attached to the idea that this is over after tomorrow.  It's not!  

Ok ladies (and gent), most of you will be weighing in this Thursday, so LET'S TALK ABOUT THE SCALE. Seriously, it is important to understand what "that number" represents before you let it take over your whole psyche: 

#1) You lost a lot of weight, and your clothes fit better. Wow! You are going to be stoked, certain that the Whole30 program has "worked" for you. Congrats! Keep pursuing your goals, but don't let that number define you. Keep feeding the MUSCLE and burning the FAT.

#2) You lost little (to no) weight, but your clothes fit better and you have more energy. Wow! You have had a shift in body composition, which is awesome and proves you're heading in the right direction... you now have more muscle mass (which shows up as better "tone" and improves the way your clothes fit because MUSCLE is lean/dense tissue, whereas FAT is bulky and lumpy). If you keep up your healthy eating lifestyle, and maybe add some exercise in if you haven't already, and maybe adjust your meal template if you need to, pounds of fat will have no choice but to drop off eventually. DO NOT FALL INTO THE ILLUSION THAT THIS PROGRAM HASEN'T "WORKED" FOR YOU!!

#3) You lost little (to no) weight, and your clothes fit the same... you feel you've had "no results". Your body has probably been emphasizing healing internal issues and imbalances (especially in the case of chronic health conditions), and it has not yet found enough equilibrium to safely shed fat tissue. Review the NSV list in the Whole30 book (pp.43-44), and look at the results you HAVE had. If you have improved energy, you can almost bet you have more MUSCLE tissue, so congrats on that. If you have improved skin, you can bet your body has released toxins and is running "cleaner" now! Consider extending your Whole30, or doing another one soon... and/or working with a functional medicine practitioner to guide you. DO NOT GO BACK TO YOUR OLD CARB/SUGAR HABITS, they will not help you!! Trust this process, and give it more time.

I cut out some of the post for length, but I truly believe this entire post should be stickied at the top of the Resources forum. Maybe a forum moderator could start a thread in Resources titled "Extremely Helpful Responses" or something and copy and paste responses into one thread when they see amazing posts like this!

...My plan is to do a super-fast track re-intro with only one day separating the different groups (so day 1 dairy, then whole30 eating day 2, day 3 legumes, etc).  I don't know if this will give me enough time to fully know how each group treats me...

True, a fast-track like this could definitely reduce your potential to isolate symptoms/reactions... and 1 day won't be long enough for your body to fully recover if you do end up having a STRONG reaction to one of the food groups (most likely dairy or gluten). If I was in your shoes, and had to do a super fast track due to vacation plans, I'd probably do this: Limit the test foods to 1-2 meals on test day, rather than including the new food/s in all 3 meals. Just an idea... this would give your body more "reset" time, without changing your schedule. Best to check with a moderator on this, as I am no expert. Good luck!

...My plan is to do a super-fast track re-intro with only one day separating the different groups (so day 1 dairy, then whole30 eating day 2, day 3 legumes, etc).  

True, a fast-track like this could definitely reduce your potential to isolate symptoms/reactions... and 1 day won't be long enough for your body to fully recover if you do end up having a STRONG reaction to one of the food groups (most likely dairy or gluten). If I was in your shoes, and had to do a super fast track due to vacation plans, I'd probably do this: Limit the test foods to 1-2 meals on test day, rather than including the new food/s in all 3 meals. Just an idea... this would give your body more "reset" time, without changing your schedule. Best to check with a moderator on this, as I am no expert. Good luck!

One day in between each reintro isn't really going to give you a good indication of whether or not you truly tolerate that food group. Eating the reintro'ed item on only 2 out of 3 meals isn't really going to help either as the true reaction will come from the build up of it on your system and how your gut deals with that. Certainly from an allergist's perspective the advice is actually to wait TWO WEEKS between introducing a new food group & determining whether or not there is a reaction, and whilst we are most likely not dealing with allergies here, but possible intolerances, I'd say in this case less really isn't more.

I'd be inclined to pick what you KNOW you are likely to eat - no need to do gluten for instance if you don't think you'll go down that route - and do a proper reintro of those, then avoid what you haven't reintro'ed for the duration of your vacation. Then when you get back home you could do a quick 14 day gut re-set & then reintro the remaining food groups - or do another Whole30 of that's what you really want...

One day in between each reintro isn't really going to give you a good indication of whether or not you truly tolerate that food group. Eating the reintro'ed item on only 2 out of 3 meals isn't really going to help either as the true reaction will come from the build up of it on your system and how your gut deals with that. Certainly from an allergist's perspective the advice is actually to wait TWO WEEKS between introducing a new food group & determining whether or not there is a reaction, and whilst we are most likely not dealing with allergies here, but possible intolerances, I'd say in this case less really isn't more.

I'd be inclined to pick what you KNOW you are likely to eat - no need to do gluten for instance if you don't think you'll go down that route - and do a proper reintro of those, then avoid what you haven't reintro'ed for the duration of your vacation. Then when you get back home you could do a quick 14 day gut re-set & then reintro the remaining food groups - or do another Whole30 of that's what you really want...

Thank you for the info... very helpful! I got a little confused when I did my reintros in July (after a June Whole30), because a paleo book I'd read said to only reintroduce ONE item at a time, in ONE meal, then wait 2 days before reintroducing another item (even if it was in the same food group). So I did that (and it took me over 6 weeks to complete my reintros!), and I was wondering "what about build-up" in my system, how will I test that? Well, I had no strong reactions to any of my reintros, just mild symptoms like sinus congestion or headaches or brain fog, and these would lift by the next day at lunchtime... so I had been wondering if a faster-track approach might work for me. But given what I did in July, I guess the regular Whole30 reintro schedule WOULD be a "faster track" for me, lol! Anyway, thanks for the detailed response, always appreciate the advice of you moderators!!

Thank you vozelle and jmcbn for chiming in on my reintro plans.  I like your suggestion jmcbn of picking what I know I'm likely to eat on vacation.  In that case I think I'll reintro dairy and gluten - I'm going to NYC, and I potentially see pizza in my future, depending on how the reintro goes.  I think I can probably (hopefully) manage to stay away from non-gluten grains and legumes while I'm gone.  And then I'll start back up again with either a Whole14 or another Whole30 on October 12th.

I'm glad I posted my plans here - it's great to get feedback, and I appreciate the moderators looking out for us!  Thank you!

I haven't thought much past wine with my reintroduction. :D I've been GF for 3 years so I won't be adding that. I'm pretty much done with dairy for good so that isn't an issue either. I might have some corn in the way of tortilla chips. I'm planning on continuing with Paleo as much as possible.Oh I will be having some fries now and then.  I miss social drinking. :/

Hey all

Took today off from work and rested my back.  I am feeling sore but a bit better.  I am a little late on M2 today but I am taking it pretty easy.

Tomorrow is day 30.  With my back issues, I am no longer helping with the training course on Thursday so I will be at home on the 1st so I will weigh in on Thursday (my view is a full 30 days so I always weigh on the 31st day (or October 1st)).

Cheers

DJ

You're most likely looking for something to cleanse the palette so some pickles or a couple of spoonfuls of sauerkraut will work in the same way - or even something like a few chunks of cucumber.

I'll try that, along with some more fat. Thanks!

finished off day 29 with a bowl of chili. bean free. I don't have any intention of going off the whole 30 but I will play it by ear. I have a doctors appt on friday. So I will get a weigh in there. Looking forward to continuing with you all in the next month.

Hi Vozelle,

I really love your message here, and would love to repost it on the Whole30 website as a blog post. I'd add a bit of my own commentary, but keep your message and the below text intact. If you're up for it, would you email me at [email protected]

Really lovely work here.

Best,

Melissa

Ok ladies (and gent), most of you will be weighing in this Thursday, so LET'S TALK ABOUT THE SCALE. Seriously, it is important to understand what "that number" represents before you let it take over your whole psyche: 

The number on your scale represents the weight of your whole body, including all the tissues, organs, bones, fluids, etc.... but for our purposes, let's talk about the 2 important ones: FAT (AKA Adipose tissue) and MUSCLE (AKA Lean Body Mass). These two different types of tissue are what folks are referring to when they talk about improvements in "Body Composition" (i.e., less fat tissue and more muscle mass makes your body feel healthier, your clothes fit better, and your energy levels higher). On the Whole30 program, you are feeding the MUSCLE tissue and increasing it's mass, while you are burning and releasing FAT tissue (if the body is healthy enough to do so). This is AWESOME for your metabolism, because LEAN BODY MASS/MUSCLE is the kind of tissue that BURNS CALORIES. The more MUSCLE you have, the more efficient your "engine" is. Please understand that your scale only gives you ONE number, it does not tell you what percentage is FAT and what percentage is MUSCLE... and that is a big deal. A 140 pound woman who is 40% body fat is an entirely different person than one who is 25% body fat. Check with your gym or fitness professional about getting your Body Composition measured, and read up online about how to track it at home if you want to. Trust me, your Body COmposition percentages are WAY more important and informative than the single number your dumb scale shows you!!

SO... back to the scale... here's a few possible scenarios on weigh-in day:

#1) You lost a lot of weight, and your clothes fit better. Wow! You are going to be stoked, certain that the Whole30 program has "worked" for you. Congrats! Keep pursuing your goals, but don't let that number define you. Keep feeding the MUSCLE and burning the FAT.

#2) You lost little (to no) weight, but your clothes fit better and you have more energy. Wow! You have had a shift in body composition, which is awesome and proves you're heading in the right direction... you now have more muscle mass (which shows up as better "tone" and improves the way your clothes fit because MUSCLE is lean/dense tissue, whereas FAT is bulky and lumpy). If you keep up your healthy eating lifestyle, and maybe add some exercise in if you haven't already, and maybe adjust your meal template if you need to, pounds of fat will have no choice but to drop off eventually. DO NOT FALL INTO THE ILLUSION THAT THIS PROGRAM HASEN'T "WORKED" FOR YOU!!

#3) You lost little (to no) weight, and your clothes fit the same... you feel you've had "no results". Your body has probably been emphasizing healing internal issues and imbalances (especially in the case of chronic health conditions), and it has not yet found enough equilibrium to safely shed fat tissue. Review the NSV list in the Whole30 book (pp.43-44), and look at the results you HAVE had. If you have improved energy, you can almost bet you have more MUSCLE tissue, so congrats on that. If you have improved skin, you can bet your body has released toxins and is running "cleaner" now! Consider extending your Whole30, or doing another one soon... and/or working with a functional medicine practitioner to guide you. DO NOT GO BACK TO YOUR OLD CARB/SUGAR HABITS, they will not help you!! Trust this process, and give it more time.

I know there are other possible scenarios, as we are each unique individuals, but I don't want to make this post any longer than it is right now... : )

Have a GREAT Day 28 everyone (or most, anyway!).

Vozelle!  That's a much deserved nod from Melissa.  It is a fantastic post.  

I've been back to my "scale thinking" and I don't like it.  When I think about completing the Whole30, I'm more comfortable knowing I can eat sugar if I want to (which I don't) then thinking about knowing it'll be okay to weigh myself on the scale again daily (which I'm afraid I will want to).  The scale is this extrinsic judgement that is not healthy for me.  Last night I started thinking I should eat lighter protein sources for the next few days to optimize that number.  Bad.  Bad.  Bad thinking.  I'm going to journal on this a bit and get is figured out before Thursday morning.  Maybe I shouldn't weigh myself at all?

On to positive news:  Day 29 has been good to me.  I even spent an hour this afternoon reading my book and taking a nap.  Yay!!  My meals were delicious.  Mackerel!  Who knew?  What a fantastic fish.  And I sauteed cabbage in ghee with a leek and apple.  Delicious!!  

Tomorrow.  3 more meals.  I did this!!  I did THIS!!  Feeling pretty damn proud of myself and of all of you!

night night.

peace

Saw my daughter tonight. She said my face looks thinner. I liked that! Then she asked if I was inclined to guess at how much weight I might have lost. When I thought about it, I realized that the number on the scale, while an important piece of information, is NOT what is most important to me right now! The biggest deal is my new relationship with food. I never thought that could happen. So many friends have said they could "never do what you're doing, never give up grains and sugar!" I couldn't either, until I DID. And then I could. I'm looking forward to taking measurements when we're done, and yes, weighing in too. But mostly I'm looking forward to staying on this road, and finding out in a few weeks what my doctor thinks of my progress! Off to get my Day 30 food ready!

Vozelle, the symptoms you listed are signs you are reacting to that food. Continuing to eat it could make it worse.

Oh yes, don't worry!... I did not reincorporate any of the "offending" items into my regular diet, even though my reactions were moderate compared to some. There were items that I never got around to reintroducing, however (old faves like corn, quinoa, and millet), so I will be doing that this time. I also want to retest dairy, because I reintroduced it during a PMS day last time, and couldn't tell if the symptoms were from the dairy or the PMS, lol! 

Saw my daughter tonight. She said my face looks thinner. I liked that! Then she asked if I was inclined to guess at how much weight I might have lost. When I thought about it, I realized that the number on the scale, while an important piece of information, is NOT what is most important to me right now! The biggest deal is my new relationship with food. I never thought that could happen. So many friends have said they could "never do what you're doing, never give up grains and sugar!" I couldn't either, until I DID. And then I could. I'm looking forward to taking measurements when we're done, and yes, weighing in too. But mostly I'm looking forward to staying on this road, and finding out in a few weeks what my doctor thinks of my progress! Off to get my Day 30 food ready!

Totally love what you said here, nancy! The biggest deal for me as well is the new relationship with food! It has totally changed and I feel so much stronger just realizing what we've all done--for 29 days so far! So many people have said the same thing about not being able to give up bread or dairy for 30 days. Sometimes it made me think I was weird. But all the NSVs (and this forum, and the daily email messages) kept us going! It's big, it's major: a lifestyle change.

Vozelle!  That's a much deserved nod from Melissa.  It is a fantastic post.  

I've been back to my "scale thinking" and I don't like it.  When I think about completing the Whole30, I'm more comfortable knowing I can eat sugar if I want to (which I don't) then thinking about knowing it'll be okay to weigh myself on the scale again daily (which I'm afraid I will want to).  The scale is this extrinsic judgement that is not healthy for me.  Last night I started thinking I should eat lighter protein sources for the next few days to optimize that number.  Bad.  Bad.  Bad thinking.  I'm going to journal on this a bit and get is figured out before Thursday morning.  Maybe I shouldn't weigh myself at all?

On to positive news:  Day 29 has been good to me.  I even spent an hour this afternoon reading my book and taking a nap.  Yay!!  My meals were delicious.  Mackerel!  Who knew?  What a fantastic fish.  And I sauteed cabbage in ghee with a leek and apple.  Delicious!!  

Tomorrow.  3 more meals.  I did this!!  I did THIS!!  Feeling pretty damn proud of myself and of all of you!

night night.

peace

Well done you! 

I am having a bit of a struggle here today, that scale thing is messing with my common sense. I have decided I won't weigh myself, I have put on two pair of pants that I couldn't even pull up a month ago so that has to be worth more than the scale. Perhaps I am being a coward about all this but at the moment it is easier for me to just ignore the scale I think. How sad is it that the early programming sticks like glue - even when I know better?

My food is compliant and am a bit low on water today but was out all day so was a bit behind schedule. Never mind.

Am having an issue with my face being very very very dry in spots, and spots like little bites on my forehead. No matter what I do it won't settle down. Any ideas?

Zzzzzz...just got home after spending most of the day in the local ER (not for myself!!) but I'm popping on to congratulate Vozelle because that is just too fantastic to let pass! 

I will share some more thoughts tomorrow if all goes well, but in case my day goes haywire again, I just want to send out a huge group hug as you hit that last day.  It's been so amazing to watch as a semi-insider while this new group of people found their way through the program.  I hope those of you who go on to spend more time with Whole30 will also consider joining in a "newbie" group some time and sharing your experiences and encouragements from the other side.  It's both fascinating and humbling to be a part of and it's no less helpful the second time around I can assure you.  That first-timer enthusiasm, even through some of the worst days, is incredibly infectious and if I shared anything that helped you get through it...it's nothing compared to the help I got back just being accountable to you! 

P.S. @misslindy...I felt exactly the same way at the end of my first 30-days.  When I looked back over all the things I had tried in the past, I realized it was always the weigh in that did me in.  Positive or negative, it didn't seem to matter...I either got over confident or lost faith entirely.  I decided to do a second 30 days (ingredients if not intentions as I've mentioned before) and while some friends encouraged me to at least do pictures at the 30-day mark I opted out of even that.  I didn't do my first weigh-in until day 61, and then only because I felt that to go any longer was giving the scales more power after all.  I have no idea what I face this time myself, doing four straight months nearly entirely Whole30 means I am long past the stage where the "easy weight" is coming off and could easily see little or no change this time on that number.  The difference is, I no longer fear that a disappointing number will cause me to give up on the lifestyle.  Only you can say when that moment is going to be for you, and it might not be just yet. 

Could surprise myself though, I just today had one of those "oh you have really lost some weight" conversations with a co-worker.  I mentioned earlier in the month I've been pleased that my progress has mostly gone undetected as I see that as a sign that it's been at a healthy pace.  Maybe it was just because I wore something a bit more fitted than usual today that the changes really stood out, who can say, but it was a nice moment for a Day 29!   

Zzzzzz...just got home after spending most of the day in the local ER (not for myself!!) but I'm popping on to congratulate Vozelle because that is just too fantastic to let pass! 

I will share some more thoughts tomorrow if all goes well, but in case my day goes haywire again, I just want to send out a huge group hug as you hit that last day.  It's been so amazing to watch as a semi-insider while this new group of people found their way through the program.  I hope those of you who go on to spend more time with Whole30 will also consider joining in a "newbie" group some time and sharing your experiences and encouragements from the other side.  It's both fascinating and humbling to be a part of and it's no less helpful the second time around I can assure you.  That first-timer enthusiasm, even through some of the worst days, is incredibly infectious and if I shared anything that helped you get through it...it's nothing compared to the help I got back just being accountable to you! 

P.S. @misslindy...I felt exactly the same way at the end of my first 30-days.  When I looked back over all the things I had tried in the past, I realized it was always the weigh in that did me in.  Positive or negative, it didn't seem to matter...I either got over confident or lost faith entirely.  I decided to do a second 30 days (ingredients if not intentions as I've mentioned before) and while some friends encouraged me to at least do pictures at the 30-day mark I opted out of even that.  I didn't do my first weigh-in until day 61, and then only because I felt that to go any longer was giving the scales more power after all.  I have no idea what I face this time myself, doing four straight months nearly entirely Whole30 means I am long past the stage where the "easy weight" is coming off and could easily see little or no change this time on that number.  The difference is, I no longer fear that a disappointing number will cause me to give up on the lifestyle.  Only you can say when that moment is going to be for you, and it might not be just yet. 

Could surprise myself though, I just today had one of those "oh you have really lost some weight" conversations with a co-worker.  I mentioned earlier in the month I've been pleased that my progress has mostly gone undetected as I see that as a sign that it's been at a healthy pace.  Maybe it was just because I wore something a bit more fitted than usual today that the changes really stood out, who can say, but it was a nice moment for a Day 29!   

Thanks for that Crimsann, I was really letting it get to me today. Nice to know I am not the only one. :) I will be doing at least another 30 days if not more. We have summer coming here and I think that will make life much easier not having to huddle around the fire etc. And I can be in the ocean again on a regular basis so that is good.

See you in the new forum. Thanks again. 

Thanks for all the lovin' vibes, friends... I totally feel you, and it's super sweet!

Wow, here we are on the threshold, getting ready to cross that finish line. IT'S AMAZING! I'm so proud of you/me/us!! I have been continually impressed and delighted by the connectivity, support, and camaraderie of this group. Let's pat ourselves on the back for supporting each other to such a high degree... it's a very special thing we've created here. : )

Looking forward to a GREAT Day 30, let's ROCK IT, whee!!!

Archived