Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having a bit of a struggle here today, that scale thing is messing with my common sense. I have decided I won't weigh myself, I have put on two pair of pants that I couldn't even pull up a month ago so that has to be worth more than the scale. Perhaps I am being a coward about all this but at the moment it is easier for me to just ignore the scale I think. How sad is it that the early programming sticks like glue - even when I know better?

My food is compliant and am a bit low on water today but was out all day so was a bit behind schedule. Never mind.

Am having an issue with my face being very very very dry in spots, and spots like little bites on my forehead. No matter what I do it won't settle down. Any ideas?

Ditto what Crimsann said about the scale and weighing-in. Totally ok to put it off another 30 days, or throw the dang thing out the window, lol! About the skin issue... hm... could it be a food allergy, or a vitamin deficiency? I'd probably run it by the moderators and see what they have to say... and maybe consider seeing a functional medicine practitioner to get to the bottom of it! I wish you luck. : )

The scale thing is certainly a difficult one- I go by my favourite pair of jeans- I know when I can fit into them (ahem- they've been out of commission for 18 months) then I am at my happiest weight where I feel at my best and don't feel the need to shed more. I know that weight is between 9.5 and 10st and I know at the start of my first whole 30 thanks to a well timed hospital appointment on the 1st June that I was nearly 2st over that. By some kind of providence I have another appointment tomorrow for a pre-op where I will be weighed again. How cool is that!!

I'm pretty sure I put some on in July and August when I went off the rails but since then I've had to relegate my 'fat' jeans to the back of the wardrobe and move on to my 'middle' jeans!! I'm not under any illusion that the favourite jeans will fit yet but I'm guessing I've lost about 7lb altogether and will be pretty happy if that's the case- in fact even if it isn't I'm pretty happy already with my renewed energy and lack of sinus pain so the weight thing is just a bonus. My ultimate goal remains those jeans!!

I add to the congratulations to Vozelle- go girl!!

I will share some more thoughts tomorrow if all goes well, but in case my day goes haywire again, I just want to send out a huge group hug as you hit that last day.  It's been so amazing to watch as a semi-insider while this new group of people found their way through the program.  I hope those of you who go on to spend more time with Whole30 will also consider joining in a "newbie" group some time and sharing your experiences and encouragements from the other side.  It's both fascinating and humbling to be a part of and it's no less helpful the second time around I can assure you.  That first-timer enthusiasm, even through some of the worst days, is incredibly infectious and if I shared anything that helped you get through it...it's nothing compared to the help I got back just being accountable to you! 

Great idea, Crimsann, to share our experience with the newbies! I know those of you who did that for the Tiger Tots sure provided a lot of valuable information and support. Thank you for that!!!

Woohoo!! We made it.  So proud of myself and everyone else!  I really can't believe it's day 30. When I first started I really thought these 30 days were going to last forever and I that I'd be chomping on the bit to eat a bunch of non-compliant food.  But, now I'm thinking about holding off on the reintroduction because I really don't feel like eating all those other non-compliant foods.  The only thing I've been missing is milk in my coffee and I really thing that's the only thing I'm going to bring back. Otherwise, I'm thinking of staying on course for the next 15 days and then I'll re-evaluate.

I'm feeling really good about where I am right now.  My skin has never been clearer, smoother, or softer.  I have more energy that ever before and more than I even realize.  I'm doing so much more throughout the day.  I don't feel like I'm just dragging through just waiting for the end of the evening so I can relax on the couch in front of the tv.  I'm sleeping more soundly and deeper than I thought I could.  My clothes are looser and although I know I still have few sizes I need to drop to get to a healthy weight I know I've built a solid foundation. For once in my life I feel like I have complete control over my food and that is AMAZING!!!  I even went through my monthly cycle without a single craving!!  Who knew that was even possible?!?!?  I feel like I have a new lease on life and I'm super excited.

I'm not going to lie...the scale is a little bit daunting.  It's kind of ridiculous how much weight we put on a piece of plastic.  (LOL!  Sometimes I crack myself up!!)  I was going to hold off on weighing myself. But, regardless of what the scale says I've made amazing progress and I'm proud of myself.  Everyday has been a success and a great accomplishment.

I hope everyone has an amazing day 30!  Can't wait to see you all in "Tiger Tots for the CFC"!

I'm spending my last day home in bed. I feel much better than I did at 3am but still called for a sub. I'm in the not weighing section. I haven't weighed myself in years and I suffer from mild body dysmorphia, so weighing is a trigger. I love that whole30 has broken my calorie counting addiction and I feel my relationship with food is better than it's been in years. My snacking problem is also  under control. It seemed like I was always eating and now I can manage with 3 meals a day. I'll be doing another strict whole30 in March before we go to Hawaii in April but I'm keeping paleo and mostly whole30 for now. 

Today is Day 31 for me, and another successful Whole30 in the books.  Even though this is my 3rd W30 I continue to learn about myself and how food works for me.  I did step on the scale this morning and found that I did lose some weight, but I honestly wouldn't count that as my main victory.  I'd say the biggest win for me is just feeling better overall.  I don't feel bloated, my wedding ring is slightly looser, my clothes are a bit looser, and my digestion is just better.  And I feel better about myself!  More confident.  To be honest my sleeping seems to have gotten a little worse on some nights during these 30 days, but I chalk that up to a few different factors.  I'm definitely prioritizing sleep more than I used to though so I think my sleep will get better once I tweak a few things.  I used to think I could function on 6 hours of sleep, but now I'm aiming for 7-8 and I feel much better during the day.

This will be my last post in this thread...see y'all in Tiger Tots!!

Pep Talk.... Stay 100% not just to day 30 but through the reintroduction for those rules and procedures.  It's so worth it to reap the rewards you worked so hard for all along.  Reintroduction, for many, can require far more discipline than the 30 days before, like keeping water flow under control as you've just broken the dam.  Please don't get attached to the idea that this is over after tomorrow.  It's not!

Ginsky, loved your pep talk, wanted to repost some of it here for a timely re-read. You're right, in some ways the reintro phase can be more challenging because those strict rules have technically been lifted. I would encourage everyone who is doing a reintro process to keep strict rules around staying 100% Whole30 compliant for the days between reintro tests (for most, this will be 2 days). And take really good notes, you will want to refer to them later, trust me!

...The scale is this extrinsic judgement that is not healthy for me.  Last night I started thinking I should eat lighter protein sources for the next few days to optimize that number.  Bad.  Bad.  Bad thinking...

I can totally relate to this way of thinking, thanks for sharing. That's just the old habit pattern of our mind… thank goodness we can rewire it! Nice job "catching yourself" and redirecting... : )

Woohoo!! We made it.  So proud of myself and everyone else!  I really can't believe it's day 30. When I first started I really thought these 30 days were going to last forever and I that I'd be chomping on the bit to eat a bunch of non-compliant food.  But, now I'm thinking about holding off on the reintroduction because I really don't feel like eating all those other non-compliant foods...

I'm feeling really good about where I am right now.  My skin has never been clearer, smoother, or softer.  I have more energy that ever before and more than I even realize.  I'm doing so much more throughout the day.  I don't feel like I'm just dragging through just waiting for the end of the evening so I can relax on the couch in front of the tv.  I'm sleeping more soundly and deeper than I thought I could.  My clothes are looser and although I know I still have few sizes I need to drop to get to a healthy weight I know I've built a solid foundation. For once in my life I feel like I have complete control over my food and that is AMAZING!!!  I even went through my monthly cycle without a single craving!!  Who knew that was even possible?!?!?  I feel like I have a new lease on life and I'm super excited.

Awesome share! You should post this in the "Success Stories" section of the forum! Reading posts like this makes me so happy!! : )

I was about to type, "OUR LAST DAY!"  but we all know this isn't the "last" day of how we've changed our relationship with food.  If anything, it's the FIRST day of how we will react to situations related to food.  We will all move forward putting more thought into what we will cook for breakfast/lunch/dinner (AKA meals 1-3  ;) ).  For me, I will listen to my body more.  I won't eat just because.  I will think about that "craving" to pinpoint what I'm really seeking inside.  Though I may not be 100% Whole30 compliant in every meal, I will spend my down time planning and prepping just as much as I did these last 30 days, and will be very aware of whether what's going inside my body is BLACK or WHITE--as there are no gray areas to nutrition.  

I've joined the other group to stay in touch with all of you!  Thank you for allowing me to share recipes, highlights, frustrations and NSVs.  Regardless of what a scale or person may say about my potential weight LOSS, I've GAINED more head knowledge and THAT "outweighs" any number or comment.   B)

It is raining cats and dogs outside for the last day of my Whole30.  And it's another busy Wednesday with all the same stuff going on that usually goes on on Wednesdays...except today is special.  Today is Day 30.  My Day 30.  I'm completing a commitment I made to myself today.  I didn't have a single dessert in 30 days!  And I don't crave one today.  I am eating such good food from my local farmers, too, and feeling fantastic about what I'm putting into my body...and feeding my family too.  That good feeling is my first and foremost NSV.

What other NSVs?  Sleeping like a baby.  Not using food to get me through stressful situations or boredom anymore.  Thinking more about what I want for me in life and not feeding the void I've been in for awhile now.  Running better...maybe smarter.  Clothes fit great.  Lots of energy (and boy have I needed it this month!)  My moods are so much better.  No more night sweats from a night of drinking or eating too much sugar.  Feeling comfortable eating meat again...I've been a vegetarian for 5 years and changed direction last May because of severe anemia...but had trouble eating the meat.  Now I've found local humane farmers and feel good feeding my body what it needs.  And my iron levels are up to normal!

Tomorrow I think about how the scale feels.  If I can see it as just a number.  It's my first reintroduction.  We'll see how it goes and then I'll decide where to put that damn thing and how often to use it.  A month without has been freeing...what would a lifetime feel like?  !!!

Wishing you all a day of celebration in your hearts and peace too!  I'm celebrating with a much needed haircut and a workout at the gym...instead of in the rain!

Day 30! Amazing! I'm looking forward to the lifting of restrictions - in part because I've been feeling so controlled by work deadlines that just the idea of the rules of Whole30 feels like more being controlled. I know that in some ways, the Whole30 rules actually give me more freedom, so I think this feeling of being too controlled by outside things is mostly a reaction to the work pressure - and maybe to looking forward to reintroducing some foods and to easier restaurant meals. I actually plan to stay mostly Whole30 and to do another Whole30 at some time.

I don't feel like I've lost much weight, so tomorrow's weighing will be interesting. I suppose I'm secretly hoping for a happy surprise but I'm also preparing myself for the number to not be too different from what it was 30 days ago.

It's 1 pm here and I haven't started working yet, despite a looming deadline. But I've made mayonnaise, a vinaigrette, a salmon salad that will last for a few meals, and a quart of nut milk (mostly cashews + almonds and walnuts), so I guess the day is off to a good start. I've got lots of things on my to-do list but I've got to start by focusing on my work.

Friday I'll be making 2 banana cream pies to take to an annual BBQ that's this Saturday. I'll be making them without tasting them. Last year was the first time I made them without tasting them - and I was shocked to see how much more filling there was when I put it into the pie shells!

I can't believe today is the last day!

I'm ecstatic that I managed to get through the entire month without losing my mind. I thought I would miss stevia-- and I did, and I'll go back to it because it doesn't yank my sugar dragon. But coffee is my life in the morning. I love the smell, the taste, everything about it, except that I like it with whipping cream and stevia. Transitioning from that to cocnut milk had me a little nervous, but I actually like how it tastes. Not as creamy as whipping cream, but I think I feel healthier. Only one way to find out-- and that's to start with iintroducing dairy and seeing what happens.

I've not posted much in here, but I've read almost all the comments. Everyone has been so great and supportive of each other. And making it through the whole process with the comments and encouragement was a great thing. I can't wait to read what everyone does tomorrow!

planning my last whole 30 meal for tonight, chicken , brocolli and baked sweet potato strings! I am feeling pretty good altho I do have a cold. Hope to see you all on the new thread. I really do not plan to do any reintro as I will be staying on eating clean but I may do some banana pecan ice-cream..I did make a thread over in the success stories forum whch talked about my journey. As an almost sixty year old, I have a lot of damage to undo! 

Happy day 30!

After reading this mornings e mail from The Whole30 Daily I realized I fall in between the Fear of less healthy foods = ride your own bike and the Just feeling so good = up to you category.

I'm going to follow the reintroduction schedule as closely as I can. I'm not going to reintroduce sugar,but I also like the idea of eating whole 30 then decide to come off plan for one special item. I hope this approach works.

I will weigh myself tomorrow but I can honestly say I have not missed the scale. The way clothes fit is a much better indication of being/feeling healthier than a number on the scale.

Good Luck everyone.

I'm not going to lie...the scale is a little bit daunting.  It's kind of ridiculous how much weight we put on a piece of plastic.  (LOL!  Sometimes I crack myself up!!)  I was going to hold off on weighing myself. But, regardless of what the scale says I've made amazing progress and I'm proud of myself.  Everyday has been a success and a great accomplishment.

I hope everyone has an amazing day 30!  Can't wait to see you all in "Tiger Tots for the CFC

You cracked me  up too!!

I can't believe it's 30 days! I'm a bit unsure about reintroducing foods just yet, because I will be out of town from Thursday night till Sunday. I think it will be easier to evaluate how food is affecting me if I'm not all caught up in visiting with my daughters. They know about the W30, and are happy to skip all the eating out so we can cook at my daughter's house except for one meal. Then next week, I can add legumes, and maybe dairy--I'm on the fence about cheese. Eventually, I may try the "one-time treat" option, but that scares me a bit. I already plan to do my second W30 in January just to keep myself on track (or get myself back on track) after the holidays.

I've been thinking about all the good things that have happened since I started this (besides meeting up with the most AWESOME group of W30 supporters!). Here goes:

• No more cravings
  • Eating only at mealtimes
  • Not obsessing about food all day
  • Repairing my relationship with food after 44 disordered/dysfunctional years! 
  • More energy
  • More focus (a biggie at work!)
  • Happier
  • BP is down
  • Other potential health benefits to be discovered at my next doctor visit
  • Calmer, less stressed most of the time
  • Looser clothes
  • And intentionally at the bottom of the list, weight and inches lost, although I don't know these numbers yet

I have been dabbling in self-help, dieting and health causes for years, and NOTHING has done as much for me, much less in just 30 days, than Whole30. I'm truly a believer!

See you on the TT of the CPC thread tomorrow! XO

Well I finished my Whole 30 yesterday and it has been an amazing couple of months.  I feel like I am only just getting started here.  Towards the middle of June I reached a point and the heaviest weight in my life (223 lbs) that I said something has got to change.  I trimmed down somewhat a few years ago in the summer months when work was not quite so crazy but low and behold the weight came back on when things got busy again...as DJ put it the third or fourth YO in a long string of yo, yos...

June 26- Bought fit bit and made a commitment to start moving more!

Somewhere around mid July good friend told me about Whole 30- Ordered my book on Amazon but started to try to not do dairy, legumes, grains, and sugar almost right away.

Aug1st- started first Whole 30 !  Accidentally ate some bacon with sugar in it - but did weigh myself and I was 207!  Down almost 10 lbs (I think I started at 217)

Aug. 28th- Started second attempt and just finished.  I am down under 200 for the first time in I think 4 years.  I am 5' 10" and still have more weight to lose but am confident if I focus on being healthy and continue I will find my happy weight.

So I credit Whole 30 lifestyle diet changes for 20 lbs give or take in the last two months... but it truly is not the scale that has been the biggest victory for me.

I just feel so much better eating this way.  I have more energy for work, more fun to be around (even without a cocktail ;) ), I am calmer with all around me, and am just more present in the moment.  I am so great full for this change and feel as though I am at the beginning of a journey now. 

I think reintro is going to go slowly for me as I really want to keep going... but have a trip in the middle of the month so...  Work and life have gotten really crazy last few weeks and this is what has always derailed me in the past so I feel like I should stay the course as much as possible.  I have not been able to work out as much last two weeks either and this is bumming me out... its like everyone wants a piece of me! :o  Gotta figure out how to keep more balance... 

OK so my goals moving forward- Move more, stay 90% Whole30 compliant, stay with the three meals thing as much as I can as snacking at night kills my efforts, go off plan very very sparingly and not for a whole day just for part of a meal or gathering... I really love the no keeping track of calories and no weighing thing... so definitely keeping that, only going to weigh myself the 30th of the month... 

Congradulations to everyone on their victories!!!!!  Has truly been a pleasure to read everyone's posts and share in the journey.  Looking forward to continuing on new thread.  Tiger Tots!  Best, C 

Ha! Count me in as one of the old gals! 65 and proud of every wrinkle I've earned but so need to undo years of damage from food! That is the reason I'm (and others I see on this thread) going to stay mainly compliant.

This morning I sat down and did a goal evaluation. 1. All the way achieved staying on the program, stubborn old broad that I am when I heard people tell me that they couldn't do it for whatever reason; believe me, I had my doubts too! Mostly achieved goal 2. being/acting healthier and goal 3. feeling healthier! Didn't achieve so well on goal 5: the no snacking goal. But, yes, much better than before W30!!

Then I thought about reintro and came up with goals and thoughts:

1. Keep W30 compliant as best as possible as lifestyle. Continue black coffee. No cream. Don't need it! Sugar: minuscule to none. Keep making own sauces, mayo, sausage patties, meatballs, etc. and keep trying to kill the snack dragon. No chips of any kind. Continue to be careful and read all labels!

2. First re-intro: cheese and sour cream. Those are the only dairy I miss.

3. Second re-intro: social drinking/alcohol. Wine, hard cider, Guinness. I don't NEED these, but I enjoy every once in a while at social events. Limit to one because after reading what alcohol does to the body, I can't go overboard. Never really drank that much before anyway, but there are occasions when I miss it.

4. Third re-intro: corn and rice? Maybe brown rice just with stir fry. Only corn tortillas for quesadillas, tacos.

5. Soy and beans and legumes. No. Won't reintroduce because I know they cause me problems. And if soy is an inflammation maker, I really don't need it. And these are the items that may have got me into trouble the last five years as I added more of this to my diet after being diagnosed celiac.

6. Keep the written food journal going. I think this helped me so much. It not only contains what I ate each day, but my thoughts and feelings. Yes, this took time. And some days I just didn't have the energy to write, but 98% of the time I plugged along!

7. Keep cooking! Good, nutritious and healthy food.

8. Keep reading all I can about W30, the blogs, books, recipes.

9. Migrate over to Tiger Tots of the Clean Food Club. And keep sharing with you all.

Thanks for letting me share this. I know that I need some rules and guidelines. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings here because they helped me (and all of us I'd say) immensely. I think it would have been a tougher climb without you guys!

See you on the flip side tomorrow!

I can't believe it's 30 days! I'm a bit unsure about reintroducing foods just yet, because I will be out of town from Thursday night till Sunday. I think it will be easier to evaluate how food is affecting me if I'm not all caught up in visiting with my daughters. They know about the W30, and are happy to skip all the eating out so we can cook at my daughter's house except for one meal. Then next week, I can add legumes, and maybe dairy--I'm on the fence about cheese. Eventually, I may try the "one-time treat" option, but that scares me a bit. I already plan to do my second W30 in January just to keep myself on track (or get myself back on track) after the holidays.

I've been thinking about all the good things that have happened since I started this (besides meeting up with the most AWESOME group of W30 supporters!). Here goes:

• No more cravings
  • Eating only at mealtimes
  • Not obsessing about food all day
  • Repairing my relationship with food after 44 disordered/dysfunctional years! 
  • More energy
  • More focus (a biggie at work!)
  • Happier
  • BP is down
  • Other potential health benefits to be discovered at my next doctor visit
  • Calmer, less stressed most of the time
  • Looser clothes
  • And intentionally at the bottom of the list, weight and inches lost, although I don't know these numbers yet
I have been dabbling in self-help, dieting and health causes for years, and NOTHING has done as much for me, much less in just 30 days, than Whole30. I'm truly a believer!

See you on the TT of the CPC thread tomorrow! XO

I like this post so much! All so true for me as well!

Hiya peeps!

I couldn't wait to get home from work and check in with you all here! Love reading everybody's final posts, awesome that some of you are sharing NSV's and your plans for moving forward into "Ride Your Own Bike" territory. I plan to stay mostly Whole30 compliant in general, and will be reintroducing a few items in coming weeks. My big thing is figuring out a rule for myself around SUGAR... I want to be able to enjoy it occasionally, without having it send me down the slippery slope into the mouth of my overly-eager Sugar Dragon. Not sure about that one yet, but I will find my way. Also still sorting out my relationship with NUTS... oh beloved nuts... *sigh*... (Ahem!)

Anyway, CONGRATS and blessings to you all! See you on the new thread.  : )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Crimsann (my Whole30 "exercise-pact" sister!), 

I want to report to you that I stayed almost 100% true to my goals, except for when I was sick and had to stay in bed for a few days mid-month. I learned a few things about myself and my relationship to exercise (and the body), and I hope to maintain at least the 30 minute (minimum) activity schedule 5x/week moving forward. I noticed that I really had to force myself to do the strength training, as I don't love going to the gym, and it's hard to do that at home without equipment. Maybe I'll learn some iometrics or Pilates for the home turf, we'll see. Anyway, "yay us" for having a goal and trying to reach it! Blessings to you my dear, see you on the next thread. : )

Way to go, everybody! We did it! :)
The biggest benefit I saw from the Whole 30 was my work performance - things that usually took me 90 minutes to finish now take 60 minutes or less, and I feel great about that because my boss was not happy with how long I was spending on things. 
I hope I can figure out what exactly did the trick so I can keep doing it!

Archived