Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

I've decided to do what I've seen suggested on the forum as far as meal planning--skip the recipes and just put meals together from compliant ingredients. I will make a big pot of some kind of soup or chili, but otherwise, it's meat, veggies, sweet potatoes, and some added good fat. I'm a fan of cooking meat and veggies in my cast iron skillet, so I'll be doing that most often. I'm excited to get started!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting September 1!!

I have lost 40lbs in the last year just changing my diet and exercising. I have Been plateaued for 6 months with only 15-20lbs left to go. I'm wanting to do this to get me back on track and focused on my health.

I am also getting married next April. Less than 8 months away!

I'm getting my grocery list together and prepping my meals tomorrow.

Hi,

My husband and I are starting Sept 1. I have read the book over and over hoping to understand how this works. Have done the shopping and my beef broth is in the crockpot. I just finished making mayo and it turned out yummy. I'm not big on posting but I'm hoping it will help with my journey. Good luck everyone.

Hi all!

Finished Day 3! I really love eating this way, each meal has been so delicious and satisfying! We did our big cook-up this weekend, and grilled up tons of chicken, prepped veggies, and my awesome hubby smoked a ton of pork.... So good!!

M1: eggs, homemade sausage patties, cauliflower rice, coffee & coconut milk

M2: roasted heirloom tomatoes with grilled chicken and garlic on zucchini noodles

M3: venison jerky

M4: sautéed cabbage and broccoli slaw, smoked pork, sweet potato w/ coconut butter, decaf coffee

Best wishes to everyone who's starting today!

Michelle

I am in too.  I will be a day or so ahead as I started Saturday.  I spent the rainy weekend shopping and prepping my fridge :rolleyes:

I made it almost thru the whole 30 last month but had a sales meeting (I am a rep for food company) and on day 28 had to start over. :o   I think going to be trying to eat like this forever though as it makes me feel so good so...  I did not really join any of the forums last time so looking forward to sharing the ride this time. 

Where you can you find specific grocery shopping lists for weekly meal plans? I found a broad general one but would like something that clearly indicates # of sweet potatoes you should buy for the meal plan that week versus "sweet potatoes" on the list. Is this a pdf or somewhere in the Whole30 book. I can't find it. HELP PLEASE! Thanks!

Where you can you find specific grocery shopping lists for weekly meal plans? I found a broad general one but would like something that clearly indicates # of sweet potatoes you should buy for the meal plan that week versus "sweet potatoes" on the list. Is this a pdf or somewhere in the Whole30 book. I can't find it. HELP PLEASE! Thanks!

Hi Shosh2015 -

I was hoping to find something like that as well.  But, QuilterInVA mentioned http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/.

I haven't gone through it yet, but did glance at it quickly and it looks like this will be tremendously helpful.  She gives you a complete and detailed food plan and shopping list.  Hope that helps.

Hi all!  I'm starting tomorrow as well.  I've been excited since first reading about the Whole30 program but am feeling a bit scared now!  Is that normal??  I'm 31 years old and feel like a little kid.  I just want to make it through!  I'm the WORST at finishing things--I always start with a bang and fizzle out.  I need to maintain the confidence to not have that happen again!

I started today - this is my 3rd Whole30, I think.  I went a little off the rails (okay, a LOT) with my eating this summer - too many parties, vacations, and fun.  I'm ready to hit the reset button and get back on track.  I try to eat Whole30-style as much as possible all the time, but I'm excited to cut out all the sugar and alcohol and processed crap that have been creeping in more than they should.  I spent a couple hours in the kitchen yesterday doing a big cook-up - I made some hard boiled eggs, chicken breasts, mayo, and chopped a ton of veggies.  Looking forward to seeing what everyone's cooking - it would be great to get some new ideas.

Today's meals so far:

Pre-WO: Hard boiled egg, coffee w/coconut milk

Post-WO: chicken breast

M1: Kale, bell pepper, and tomato frittata (adapted from the Whole30 cookbook)

Later today:

M2: Canned salmon salad with mayo on a bed of lettuce w/cucumbers and tomatoes

M3: Chinese 5-spice turkey lettuce cups (from Practical Paleo)

Hi all!  I'm starting tomorrow as well.  I've been excited since first reading about the Whole30 program but am feeling a bit scared now!  Is that normal??  I'm 31 years old and feel like a little kid.  I just want to make it through!  I'm the WORST at finishing things--I always start with a bang and fizzle out.  I need to maintain the confidence to not have that happen again!

I'm excited and a bit scared too, so I'm going to say it's perfectly normal!  :P

Happy Sept 1st Eve! My prep - hard boiled eggs; cooked up 3 lbs high quality chicken; pork roast in crock pot; made ground pork "sausage" to stir in my eggs (freezing in single servings). Having Hamburger (high quality) today for lunch so made a bunch of extras a bit under done so I can microwave. Tons of organic veggies ready.

I am one of those that doesn't spend money on crazy ingredients, spices, etc, rather spend it on the quality of proteins and veggies.

That being said, I want to include here my favorite meat sauce that I use over spaghetti squash: (making double batch tomorrow)

Meat Sauce:

· 16 ozs lean ground turkey (but not the superlean);

· 2 T. EVOO

· 1 onion, finely chopped

· 10 ozs mushrooms (I used baby portobellas), chopped

· 3 large cloves garlic

· Salt/pepper to taste

· ½ cup reserved juice from plum tomatoes (below)

· 28 oz can plum tomatoes, mostly drained and chopped

· ½ cup sundried tomates (not the type in oil)

· 1 T. Italian seasioning

Heat oil, and cook ground turkey until just done. Reduce heat, add onions and cook 2-3 mins. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook 4-5 mins. Stir in rest of ingredients, and simmer a minimum of 45 mins, until sauce gets a little thick. I throw on some crushed red pepper as well when heating up...

Watch out, my cheapo Italian seasoning has soybean oil in it, so I bought better!

Hey, all! I'm in for a September Whole30. It'll be my second one - my first was back in January - and I'm looking forward to the whole process. And for me, it IS a process of learning (yet again) how food either nourishes and heals me or makes me feel awful/bloated/out of control/moody . . . you name it.

A big difference for this round is that my husband of 1 month will be part of the process. :) Back in January I only saw him on weekends so my weeknight meals were very easy. This time, although he's not going to be doing it with me, he'll be involved in a lot of shopping, prep, and eating. So that should be both interesting and fun!

Most stuff is prepped and ready, and after my one glass of red wine tonight I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

Jennifer

Day 0 - Prep day! Just back from the grocery store after my first label-reading lesson. Can't use any of the beef broth that my store has, so I will sub water, extra veggies, and more seasonings. And maybe some sweet potatoes or b-nut squash. Getting excited to start!

I'm in too for Sept 1st! Tomorrow i will be food shopping/prep. I will also be going back to gym after 2 months of pretty much no exercising. Should I take a pre/post workout snack when doing whole 30?

Yes izzy, there are detailed pre/post workout recommendations on pages 242-243 the book "It Starts With Food"... Pre-workout should be protein and fat (think eggs and nuts, avoid carbs), Post-workout should be protein and carb in the form of starchy veggies (think chicken and yam, or salmon and potato). Good luck!

I'm not sure if this is a repeat, sorry if it is.

I found last year that using a good internet search engine (I use Bing).. You can type in:

Is ???? Whole30?

The ???? Is any ingredient, additive, food item, etc.... Usually in one of the first 3 hits I got a forum answer, where someone else over the years had asked the same question, and received good answers from the experts!

Hi! I also will be starting 9/1. This will be my 2nd w30 . My first completed one was a year ago. Felt amazing, slept as I had never slept

before. I failed in the re-introduction part. I am looking forward to doing it correctly this time. I have a pretty good idea that gluten is NOT my friend!! My husband just retired and he will be eating the same, although he may add to his meals if he wants. I am hoping this becomes a joint effort. He is a great encourager and last time he really supported my efforts!

OK all, we are getting ready to launch this thing off the ground! Day 0!!! Please use this space to tell us your struggles, successes, and stories along the way… Promise yourself that you WON'T disappear off this thread or QUIT your Whole30 without checking in here first! I want everyone who STARTS in this group, to be there at the finish line! You may not have time to post daily, and with this many people, many of us will be simply checking in on what others have posted… But please DO post if you are struggling, wavering wavering in your commitment, feeling confused, etc. Ok?? OK!!

Yay, hooray.... On your mark.... Ready.... Get set.... And.... (!!!!)

I am starting Sept 1 also. My bf and I are doing our 2nd Whole 30., Our first was in July, we took a couple weeks off (because we had a vacation and a b-day) and now we're on to our 2nd. Spending today getting organized and breaking the habits that came back quickly in the last two weeks. Can't wait!!

Yes izzy, there are detailed pre/post workout recommendations on pages 242-243 the book "It Starts With Food"... Pre-workout should be protein and fat (think eggs and nuts, avoid carbs), Post-workout should be protein and carb in the form of starchy veggies (think chicken and yam, or salmon and potato). Good luck!

I better go back and read the book again...I don't remember reading about it :(  thanks for the examples :)

Archived