Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

If you're hungry in 4 hours, play with the protein, veg and fat portions of your meals until they satiate you for 4-5 hours. Until you get there, if you're genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat.

Thanks GFChris! I will give it a try tomorrow.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keeping it simple this week. Have bone broth ready. Eating salads, eggs, salmon, asparagus and fruit. Cooking this weekend. Fortunately, work near Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, so no excuses! Bought some delicious organic coffee at Whole Foods. Officially gave up Starbucks after Quad Latte this morning! Good luck everyone!

Hi all..

Well i'm off and running this morning on day 1.

First meal of eggs, baby spinach and avo done and dusted. 

I have had a couple of false starts with the whole30 (not even making it a week in) feeling positive that this one will be a success!

Renee  :)

Hi everybody!  I'm doing my 3rd Whole30 this year starting tomorrow!  My first was a Whole65 (Jan 1 - March 5), my second was a Whole30 (June 15-July 15).  I haven't been happy with myself since the end of July and have managed to put back on about 5 pounds and not feeling well again (I have IBS and GERD, but have been off all prescription meds since my Whole65).  So, here I am, back at it.  Looking to be more serious this time than my 2nd round (I did very little food prep and made do with what I had - was able to stay compliant, but didn't put my heart into it like I did the first time).  I now have the cookbook and am ready to get going!  

I also want to read more of the posts on these boards as I think it will help me stay better aligned to it and pushing to truly make the effort.  Looking forward to hearing about your journeys too!

So 2 days under my belt.....and I am hanging on to the amazing energy I feel. Work is going well even with all that food right under my nose. I actually popped a piece of cheese in my mouth yesterday and then remembered and spit it out! Yes I was sampling cheese for customers for 2 hours! Ugh so tough! Foods been yummy so far but I do find myself hungry within 4 hours. I am chalking it up to my system rebelling against the lack of grazing all day long. I know I can do this. Good luck to all who are starting tomorrow!

Oh the challenges of being in the food business and doing a whole 30!  Good for you.  Spat it out!  :o  You are commited lady!  Luv it!

The hunger thing within four hours gets better... as your body adjusts. 

Hi everyone! 

I'm in a  group that started August 10th (allllmost there!), and just wanted to wish all of you luck getting started. People have already posted some great advice—buy pre-shredded veggies to make life easier, don't try a fancy recipe for every meal, plan ahead! I didn't think I could make it in a million years, but it looks like I will and after a couple of weeks I didn't even want to go back. I only tried about one fancy new recipe a week and otherwise kept it simple. I realized that basic ingredients were easy to create with. 

My most helpful pointers, garnered from amazing people in this forum: 

--Drink a TON of water the first week especially to help work through the nasties. (but all the time really)

—Don't shy away from the amount of fat recommended in the meal template. You'll need it! 

--If you're getting headaches a lot, make sure to eat starchy veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots, etc). I struggled with that for a week, and made sure to do starches at breakfast and night. 

—Make leftovers of everything!

—Stock up on Lara bars (some, not all, are compliant) and keep one on you for emergencies. 

—If you have stomach troubles at first (I did), make sure you're not eating too many raw veggies or nuts. 

—Instead of trying to replace sandwiches (and just being sad about it) make tuna or chicken salad to serve on greens. Yum. 

YOU CAN DO IT!!! 

Hi I'm joining in! This will be my 3rd attempt in the last year to complete a Whole 30. The first 2, I fell off at Day 21. Sheesh! I lurked the forums - this time I will be active and post. I like that there are so many of you who are with me this round! I've already read such great advice here! I'm hoping to report my food, activity, AND feelings. I know Whole 30 will deliver if I let it. Even at Day 21 the last times, I noticed my nails were strong and smooth, and the skin on my hands was so smooth, not dry-looking, and more youthful looking. Plus i know i lost a considerable amount of weight. So tomorrow my plan is:

M1: eggs and sautéed mushrooms, onions, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes

M2: salad w leftover slow-cooked chicken

M3: "taco" salad

I'm not a coffee drinker. But I have a Coke (Coca-Cola) habit. That is my biggest challenge with this whole thing. And it's not just any Coke. It's weird. It has to be from the fountain with a certain amount of ice only from certain stores - lol!

I'm not a coffee drinker. But I have a Coke (Coca-Cola) habit. That is my biggest challenge with this whole thing. And it's not just any Coke. It's weird. It has to be from the fountain with a certain amount of ice only from certain stores - lol!

Sounds like my sister. She gave up her fountain Cokes a while ago, and feels so much better because of it! You CAN do this!

Hi All,  I am new to Whole30 and starting in... 45 minutes!  I hope to alleviate anxiety, gluten symptoms, cholesterol, joint pain, migraines and, along the way, strengthen my bones!  I have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis and am dairy free due to lactose intolerance.  Eating has become complicated.  I hope Whole30 will help me straighten things out.  I am not looking to loose weight, so I am kind of concerned about that part.

Hey all! Did my shopping today. 5 HOURS (Holy crap!) and 2 stores later I think I have enough food for a week or 2. We have never had so many veggies in our fridge before! I forgot a couple of necessities, who can blame me after 5 hours, so I'll have to go back tomorrow. Cooked up some chicken in coconut oil and s&p for my hubbys lunches and boiled some eggs. Going to make chocolate chili, mayo, and Kahlua pork tomorrow. We don't ever eat veg for breakfast and after reading some of these posts realized I need to figure out what to have in the AM. Any suggestions?

I cleaned out our cupboards of anything that would be tempting and put all the kids food in the garage refrigerator so I don't have to see cheese and yogurt every day! It will be annoying having to go out there to get their food but better than being tempted! I had my first ever cup of coffee this morning without sweetener of any kind but still put in the half and half. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! Tomorrow it will just be coconut milk in my coffee. My husband and I also hopped on the scale today (yikes!) and wrote our weight and body fat on the mirror. The scale has been put away under the sink now!

Super excited but nervous. Glad I have you all to keep me on track! Have fun everyone and I look forward to hearing about your first day!

I started today. Oh the headache already! Any tips on combatting that or on average how long that part usually lasts??

Drink lots of water, make sure you are following the meal template when you create your meals, and definitely post questions on the troubleshooting boards, or search other forum threads for answers. The moderators are usually very quick to answer questions! My headaches lasted about a week, off and on between days 3 to 10 during my first Whole30. Starchy veggies might also help (worked for me).

Good luck!

Starting today! I have suffered with severe PPD for the last year and this is my last ditch effort before antidepressants. I am worried that I won't have the emotional motivation to stick with it. Anyone here have any experience with the whole30 helping with PPD or depression? Looking forward to following your experiences. Good luck everyone.

Hi Everyone

I finished my first Whole 30 in July, and have had two attempts to get back on it. I had a couple of medical issues that made things difficult, but I am ready now. I actually started on Sunday, but I like the idea of a whole month, 1st to 30th,, so I am going the distance with you all.

A couple of tips I learned from the last W30:

1. Post here! I can't tell you how much the support here helped me.

2. Every time I turn on my oven, I fill it. If I roast a chicken, I roast two chickens and two or three pans of vegetables to roast along with them. This saves energy and keeps me with veggies ready (I can't tolerate many raw vegetables)

3. Do everything you can to stick to the meal template--even if you think it's too much food--and then do not snack! After a week or so, I felt so much better when my body could rest between meals and after supper.

Good luck, everyone!

Hi everyone! 

I'm in a  group that started August 10th (allllmost there!), and just wanted to wish all of you luck getting started. People have already posted some great advice—buy pre-shredded veggies to make life easier, don't try a fancy recipe for every meal, plan ahead! I didn't think I could make it in a million years, but it looks like I will and after a couple of weeks I didn't even want to go back. I only tried about one fancy new recipe a week and otherwise kept it simple. I realized that basic ingredients were easy to create with. 

My most helpful pointers, garnered from amazing people in this forum: 

--Drink a TON of water the first week especially to help work through the nasties. (but all the time really)

—Don't shy away from the amount of fat recommended in the meal template. You'll need it! 

--If you're getting headaches a lot, make sure to eat starchy veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots, etc). I struggled with that for a week, and made sure to do starches at breakfast and night. 

—Make leftovers of everything!

—Stock up on Lara bars (some, not all, are compliant) and keep one on you for emergencies. 

—If you have stomach troubles at first (I did), make sure you're not eating too many raw veggies or nuts. 

—Instead of trying to replace sandwiches (and just being sad about it) make tuna or chicken salad to serve on greens. Yum. 

YOU CAN DO IT!!! 

Bear in mind that larabars (& other bars) are for emergency use only - I have yet to see an emergency in these forums where a member could not have access to proper food which warranted use of a larabar. They are about as close as you can get to candy on a Whole30 and fairly far removed from the spirit  of the program.

If you can plan for an emergency you can plan to have proper food.

I'm starting my Whole 60 today also!!! I decided to extend it because I have a ferocious sugar dragon and a lazy thyroid!  :P

Bone broth in the crock pot...check

Stocked up on REAL food...check

Prepped my veggies (first time I'm taking the time to do this)...check

Lets do this!!  :D

Welcome to Day 1, everyone!  If anyone uses the app YouFood (used to be called TwoGrand) to keep a food/health log you can find me on there with the same username.  I don't use it all the time but will be during this whole30 and have used it at other times as well. 

Day 1! I had a big glass of red wine AND a giant bowl of frozen yogurt last night (had to finish them off, of course! :rolleyes: ) but I'm feeling good about today. My breakfasts are always compliant, and I tend to eat the same thing there every day (eggs, shredded cabbage, salsa), so I'm set there. Lunch is homemade chicken salad over greens, and dinner (salsa chicken for Taco Tuesday) is all setup in the crockpot.

Good luck to all!

Hi Everyone!  I am jumping in on the Whole 30 today because I feel like crap from all the bad eating!  This is my 4th Whole 30 in the last 15 months. My first was a Whole 105 and I never felt better. 

Here's my destructive pattern:  I do the Whole 30, and feel AMAZING like never before, and then I decide I can be a moderator, not an abstainer, and start to introduce all kinds of food back into my plan, and then I'm off to the races again.

I look forward to getting back on track with you all this month!

Have a great first day!

Hey all! Did my shopping today. 5 HOURS (Holy crap!) and 2 stores later I think I have enough food for a week or 2. We have never had so many veggies in our fridge before! I forgot a couple of necessities, who can blame me after 5 hours, so I'll have to go back tomorrow. Cooked up some chicken in coconut oil and s&p for my hubbys lunches and boiled some eggs. Going to make chocolate chili, mayo, and Kahlua pork tomorrow. We don't ever eat veg for breakfast and after reading some of these posts realized I need to figure out what to have in the AM. Any suggestions?

I cleaned out our cupboards of anything that would be tempting and put all the kids food in the garage refrigerator so I don't have to see cheese and yogurt every day! It will be annoying having to go out there to get their food but better than being tempted! I had my first ever cup of coffee this morning without sweetener of any kind but still put in the half and half. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! Tomorrow it will just be coconut milk in my coffee. My husband and I also hopped on the scale today (yikes!) and wrote our weight and body fat on the mirror. The scale has been put away under the sink now!

Super excited but nervous. Glad I have you all to keep me on track! Have fun everyone and I look forward to hearing about your first day!

I hope others chime in with ideas for you, but the most helpful advice I have is to stop thinking in terms of "breakfast" and just make it "Meal 1." Eat whatever veggies you like - peppers, brussels sprouts, salad, broccoli. I pack up breakfast to take to work and almost always include shredded cabbage (actually bagged slaw mix) that I mix with avocado, salsa, and lime. It's better than it sounds! :)

Aaaannndddd we're off!! I put a small white board on the fridge so that when I prep my food at night, I can write it down and check in the morning to be sure I have everything. Yet I still forgot the guac as my fat for lunch. I have almond butter to go with celery for M1, so I will have some of that for lunch. Let's DO this!

@ATL_Jen, your M1 mix sounds wonderful!! I love the bagged cabbage slaw, and the broccoli too. So easy! I have hard boiled eggs this morning. I used to think I got too hungry when I'd have that in the morning, but I was only eating one. I can easily hold three in my hand, and maybe four, so that should cure the hunger...

Good luck, everyone! I'll be back tonight to see how everyone did!

Archived