Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Hey all! Did my shopping today. 5 HOURS (Holy crap!) and 2 stores later I think I have enough food for a week or 2. We have never had so many veggies in our fridge before! I forgot a couple of necessities, who can blame me after 5 hours, so I'll have to go back tomorrow. Cooked up some chicken in coconut oil and s&p for my hubbys lunches and boiled some eggs. Going to make chocolate chili, mayo, and Kahlua pork tomorrow. We don't ever eat veg for breakfast and after reading some of these posts realized I need to figure out what to have in the AM. Any suggestions?

Hi tikafaye79! I struggled with veggies at breakfast too.... They weren't appealing at all, and I didn't want a lot of prep early in the morning. I have become addicted to some type of veggie soup in the morning. Silky Ginger Zucchini soup from the Well Fed 2 cookbook is probably my favorite. I also really like cauliflower rice in the morning. I make up big batches of both and we all eat veggies with our eggs now. :). Hope that helps!

Michelle

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting today! I have suffered with severe PPD for the last year and this is my last ditch effort before antidepressants. I am worried that I won't have the emotional motivation to stick with it. Anyone here have any experience with the whole30 helping with PPD or depression? Looking forward to following your experiences. Good luck everyone.

I'm sorry to hear about your PPD.  I had major anxiety a couple of months ago (before I heard of Whole30) and I did an all vegan no sugar detox for 10 days.  I felt so calm and terrific once I was done.  You might want to start cutting out meats with hormones in them.  I think that was the biggest thing for me.

Okay all you starters, have a great first day! I am eating a spinach, pork, pepper frittata for breakfast and cheering you on! The frittata is not as appealing this early in the morning but it will keep me full and away from unconscious eating.

Woke up at 3am pretty much wide awake but willed myself back to sleep ( fitful) until alarm at 4:45.

I have this mantra running thru my head that I can do anything for 30 days. Sometimes it gets broken down to smaller increments of I can do anything for an hour. It's really nutty but helpful.

Good luck to all today

good morning from NY! I am on my third try!  I am 58 and hypothyroid. Mom to four grown ups and two cats, grandmom to four dogs and two boys. Married and currently unemployed. I took some time off for a year to catch my breath! This program is a part of the lifestyle change that I need!

I began my first attempt in July and ran smack into my high school reunion. Reset again on August 4 and then went on a three day road trip to Texas with a stop in New Orleans and was fine until eating out happened. But in between those days I was compliant for 20 days at a time and really felt the benefits of the whole30 life so I am back. I have rejoined the gym, began riding my bike outside, and lost weight. Also returned to painting, which is a life long passion.  I kept mostly to the paleo style, but want to be 100 percent for 30 days so I am starting again tomorrow. I actually enjoy it. So it is not a hardship. I just need to erase those impulses in my brain that tell me that a donut is better than feeling great about myself. 

This time I treated myself to the daily letters. I am keen to use all of the tools available to us in order to succeed. I am also investing in Well Fed and Well fed 2. I know they are not completely whole 30  recipes but the recipes that are not whole 30 are identified and I can read the ingredients.

Today's breakfast was a peach with sugar free sun butter and some pecans. I drink a cup of black tea in the am most days but have given up coffee as I could not drink it black.I may give up the tea as well. It does not do much for me.  I usually have eggs but wanted a change. 

I have soy free tuna and steak planned for later. Life is great and I am grateful to be here with you all. 

Today's breakfast was a peach with sugar free sun butter and some pecans. I drink a cup of black tea in the am most days but have given up coffee as I could not drink it black.I may give up the tea as well. It does not do much for me.  I usually have eggs but wanted a change. 

I have soy free tuna and steak planned for later. Life is great and I am grateful to be here with you all. 

Hi Martha

Please take another look at the meal template & try building your meals to match that. Your breakfast this morning was completely lacking in protein - a vital component that will tide you over for the 4-5hrs. It also lacked veggies - fruit should not push veggies off of your plate, and often when eaten in the morning having fasted over night can cause spikes in blood sugar, followed by troughs later in the day, along with faux hunger, fatigue, and lack of focus.

Third time's the charm!

Good morning! Spinach, mushroom and red pepper scramble in the works for breakfast, got some chicken on the grill for my husband's dinner (he leaves for work at 1pm) and I'm making a big salad for both of us for the chicken to go on top of. By now my neighbors are used to my firing up the grill at 09 30. Have an amazing day!

I'm in - started today.  30 days in September for the Whole 30.  It's my first one and I'm still cooking for the kids so it should be a challenge.  Hopefully, it'll be easier since they will be back to school in a week.  Looking forward to going on this journey together.  

I should also note that my youngest had me up at 2am (I only went to bed at midnight) and we've been up since then - the coffee my husband brewed smelled heavenly but I couldn't do it black so opted for tea instead.  So - a hard start to the Whole30 this morning :-)

Breakfast was a scrambled egg and pork hash made with onions, peppers and sweet potato.  For those that have done this before does that sound right?  I'm wondering if I need to eat more oil and nuts with breakfast?  I did use coconut oil to cook with this morning and thought that could work for my fat portion of breakfast in addition to whatever fat was in the pork hash I made?  I loosely used this recipe for the hash:  http://www.holymamamoly.com/2014/05/tastytuesday-get-your-hash-moving-porky.html

Thanks!

Good morning all!!

I hope everyone is off to a good start!

I didn't do so great with my planning this week. I chose my meals and did all my shopping, but I didn't have a chance to make some the mayo, ranch dressing, etc. that I wanted for my meals today and tomorrow.  I figured it would be helpful for me to do the 7 day meal plan that was in the W30 book.

I woke up extra early hoping that I'd have enough time, but then realized I didn't have my lemon, eggs, etc at room temperature to make the mayo.

So, I'm winging breakfast and lunch today.

I made some ground sirloin this morning and cooked that up with some eggs, spinach, tomatoes and only a 1/4 avocado because it was a little unripe . I also had a small serving of strawberries and blueberries.  Overall, not a bad start for being unprepared.  I wasn't overly impressed with my breakfast but I know it'll take a little bit for my palate to adjust. I'm not use to having any veggies for breakfast and usually love cheese in my eggs.  I'm hoping to use dinner left overs for breakfast more in the future to make it a little easier.

I bought some coconut milk and was hoping to use the cream for my coffee this morning but I forgot to put the can in the fridge last night.  So, I went without the coffee today. I think I'm starting to realize that I may not like coffee as much as I thought. I didn't really miss the coffee all that much this morning. Lets hope that continues.  :-)

For lunch I'm having some baked chicken with spinach/romaine, almonds, tomatoes, an apple, olive oil, and lemon juice with some fresh herbs.

Tonight, I'm dedicating myself to reading through the recipes and planning/prepping the evening away.

My other goal for the week is to pull together some recipes and create my own meal plan for next week.

Good luck everyone!!

I shaved forty seconds per mile on my running pace when I did my first Whole30. It was amazing! And it became my new normal pace. I completed that Whole30 month feeling so high though I paid haphazard attention to labels - but followed the large strokes of the plan. (I avoided obvious sugar, gluten, alcohol and dairy.) I was happy. I really don't eat many packaged, boxed or canned goods anyway.

I can't seem to remember all those scientific names for sugar and sulfites. Really. I know it sounds lame. This go-around I am going to shop with the worksheet OPEN on my phone.

Breakfast was micro greens, sliced yellow peppers, eggs and sliced avocado. I had had a banana before a 5:30am Orange Theory class. I have GI issues if I eat anything but that pre-workout.

Thank you to all those from past months who have chimed in. Your comments are both sweet and helpful. I love the camaraderie!

My husband and I are starting today!  It's our first time.  We eat pretty clean as a rule but summer has been full of added sugars.  Desserts for me.  Beer for him.  So, we're getting back to more energy and hoping to lose 5-10 pounds.  My morning started with potatoes, eggs, and arugula after a 5 mile run.  So far so good!

peace and happy eating!

Alright you guys! Starting the day with a carrot juice from juice generation and coffee with sardines in tow. #onthegocellist

Hey there

I'm assuming you maybe don't know our recommendation for NOT including smoothies (unless you are specifically looking to gain/maintain weight).

See below for the official take on them:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

There are LOTS of other (read that as better) options for on the go foods like egg muffins, veg frittatas etc. Also you don;t appear to have added any fat to your meal.

Please re-visit the meal template & try building your meals to match it for optimum results.

Good morning! Day 1: Checking in. This is a nice place to journal re my first 30!

I love, love the Whole30 website! First, it is so "clean." Great design front and back end. (Now I can't wait until my front and back end are as up to par!) so, I've been reading lots and going back to the books. I also did sign up for the daily newsletter. It is totally worth it. We are totally worth it! And again, I want to thank the advanced members for their stellar advice!

M1: 2 eggs with veggies (from last nights dinner--killer roasted cauliflower and broccoli), sautéed mushrooms; 1/4 cantaloupe; 2 cups black coffee. I'm taking photos of my meals just for fun. Don't know how long that will last.

Plan on salmon patties for lunch with salad and some watermelon. And "Daisy" chicken for dinner (named after my dog, because I have been cooking for her for quite some time now). My hubby and I realized she was eating cleaner and better than we were and we keep it in our weekly meal plans! She's been on cooked chicken, sweet potatoes, banana, eggs, and other veggies for some time now and her health has improved immensely! Gut and skin issues. Doh! And this just dawned on me now. She's been on whole30!!!

Took photo of me today. Ugh. But I did.

OK, you all have a fantastic day. I'm filled with hope and gratitude for all of us!

@art-school-girl, I so hated "photo day" as well.  And not just the documenting the "before", my major was in photography so that kind of selfie is painful in all sorts of ways!!!  I had to choose not to cheat the camera, set up some flattering fill lights, or hit it with Photoshop afterwards.  ROFL! 

I admit I didn't do photo's this time around, maybe I will do that on the better late than never basis this evening just because I really don't want to even now and that's telling.  I did do a weigh-in last night and I've held steady through September while I was doing some reintroduction, but clearly I was correct that if I want to see any additional reductions like I did with my first Whole30 I'm going to need to do a bit more on some of the non-food related aspects as well.

I did start my morning off with the promised yoga practice, and while that went well enough, I can spot some tweaks I'm going to need to make related to timing.  I completely ran off the rails on scheduling which meant a hasty breakfast and zero make-up and I was still dramatically late for work.  I don't want to start with this very spiritual morning practice and then spend the next half of my morning bolting down food and speaking disparagingly of my fellow commuters and traffic lights in general.  Sort of takes away from the inner peace a smidge. 

Will try to keep my posts short and sweet during Week 1 especially as I know a lot of our first timers have questions and concerns and the focus needs to be on getting a solid start for you guys, but I wanted to lead by example on checking in every day about my own progress! 

Good Morning!

Thank you to those that replied to my question about breakfast options. I also found a thread from July specifically about non breakfasty ideas for meal 1.

For my M1 I ended up having 2 hard boiled eggs, a handful of chicken breast strips I made the night before sauted in coconut oil, a handful of raw almonds, 5 baby carrots and some sugar snap peas. It was all light enough and sweet enough that I didn't feel over fed first thing in the morning. I also tried a cup of coffee without sweetener yesterday but still had the half and half and I enjoyed it. Today I swaped that out for coconut milk. Blech! Guess I don't like coffee as much as I thought I did! So I drank a bottle of water instead so maybe its for the best since I am terrible at getting my water every day.

I have a kaluah pig in the crock pot as we speak and it should be done by dinner. Have to go and get some ingredients for mayo and ranch that I forgot yesterday. Hope everyone is enjoying their first day!

• Administrators

Breakfast was a scrambled egg and pork hash made with onions, peppers and sweet potato.  For those that have done this before does that sound right?  I'm wondering if I need to eat more oil and nuts with breakfast?  I did use coconut oil to cook with this morning and thought that could work for my fat portion of breakfast in addition to whatever fat was in the pork hash I made?  I loosely used this recipe for the hash:  http://www.holymamamoly.com/2014/05/tastytuesday-get-your-hash-moving-porky.html

Thanks!

Hi ksheedy,

Nuts are not an awesome fat source, your better bet is avocado, ghee, coconut oil, homemade mayo etc.  Nuts are imbalanced in their fatty acid profile and can be digestively difficult for so many people.  Fat from cooking usually stays in the pan unless you are scraping it out onto your plate.  The template suggestion for fat is a minimum, you can always add more, you are very unlikely to overdo the fat.  Check in with yourself in about 4-5 hours and see how you feel.  Have you been chewing on your arm since hour 3?  If so, eat more at your next meal and know that you need more at breakfast the next day.  It's all an experiment to see what you need for your unique context.  :)

Today is day one for me as well! I cooked my tail off yesterday in preparation and thoroughly enjoyed my roasted sweet potatoes and parsnips with eggs this morning. i'm hoping I will be hungry enough to eat the yummy salad that I made for lunch. I am a Lupus/Rheumatoid/Raynauds' warrior and menopausal on top of that. 14 years of steroids and many other drugs have taken their toll. Sugar and dairy are going to be the toughest to give up but I am determined the MAKE THIS CHANGE! Good luck to everyone- We can do this!

Hi everyone!  Today is day one and we are ROCKIN'!

Made a veggie quiche last night for this week's breakfast.  I used a smaller pie pan, so I had four eggs, 1/2 C coconut milk, random amounts of broccoli, zucchini, chopped garlic and white onion.  Heated it up this morning and tasted delish!  I also threw some black pepper and paprika on for flavor.

For lunch I've brought a salad with grilled chicken, cucumbers, avocado and a lemon wedge to spray on for flavor.  I also brought a plum!

Dinner will be simple:  Chicken "nachos"--Diced baked chicken over baked sweet potato chips with avocado, green peppers and glazed with a homemade jalapeno/mango salsa!!  So excited!  The salsa is 1 C mango, 1 jalapeno, some coconut milk and lime/lemon.  Blend it up and serve!

Good luck everyone!  

Starting also. Did one last fall. Did it for a month and a half. Felt really good, lost 20 pounds. Did not reintroduce food properly. I was planning on doing it for half a year, but I dropped the ball. So today I'm trying once again. Going to try to do it for as long as I can. I love eating the food, you just need to be creative. Good luck everyone!

Just checking in. So far so good. I have tried to complete a whole30 before. One important. Thing I learned was I could drink black coffee but only on ice. It has to be really good coffee. I cold brew enough for a few days so it's mellow not harsh. I don't miss the sweetened creamers I usually dump in it.

Hi all! Popping in. Such a great thread going already! I technically started on 8/31, however, would love to join here. Seems to be a nice mix of newbies and veterans, which, will make the whole thing great!

My name is Laura and this will be my 2nd Whole 30. I did the first one maybe a year ago and have had a couple of false starts with repeating the program. However, I think I finally got to the point that I just knew in my gut I really needed this. My first Whole30 was one of the most grueling and rewarding things I have ever done nutritionally. There were many nights nearly in tears as I watched my family eat a sandwich which I ate another salad. Days where I didn't think I could do it and many days I got through simply by white knuckling it. Despite all this, when I got to the very end...I was so darn happy with myself! I really felt amazing at the end. I lost maybe 7 pounds, but, the feeling I had was so much better than losing a few pounds. I felt like I radiated health and radiated positivity. Seriously, it was awesome. 

This go around I am hoping to have fewer things to eliminate. I have stuck to the Whole30 in many ways, but, severely departed in the carbs department. So, while skipping the cheese and sour cream on my tacos won't be a big deal the various other side items (tortilla chips, rice and shells) may just do me in! lol But, it is this constant processed carb creep that lead me to realize I needed to do this again. I think I will likely go longer than the 30 days as well. Someone earlier in the thread suggested not focusing on 30 days, but, to think of it more as a 40+ days. I think that is a really great suggestion and plan to follow that thinking. I am also planning to exercise more consistently this go around. The first time through it was really just about being focused on surviving the 30 days. This go around I am really hoping for a more complete experience. 

The best advice I can give any newbie is

1) keep it simple - seriously....don't feel like you have to cook some crazy recipe every night - what do you currently eat and how can you make it Whole30 approved?

2) sleep lots - I felt pretty exhausted especially in the beginning and at times it was hard to sleep - I learned to sleep really whenever I could. I functioned so much better when I got lots of sleep.

3) eat a variety of things - I typically can eat the same thing daily for days at a time, but, I found on this program that I started to really resent my lunch salad after a while. Mix it up. Eat left overs. Have breakfast for dinner and vice versa.

4) stop thinking of breakfast as breakfast. Seriously. Doors will open when you simply think of it as Meal 1.

5) definitely check out the timeline another person posted. I didn't discover this until the end of my Whole30 and I definitely could have used it early on!

Best of luck to everyone! I hope this thread stays this active the whole time. Having an active thread makes all the difference!

Archived