3rd Whole30 - Day 4 brain&body blues. Need support...

Hey Gang -

Long story short, this is my 3rd Whole 30 in as many years, and the first week of the other two were a cinch compared to this one. I did have major surgery this past February (endometrial cancer, removed uterus, ovaries and some lymph nodes). I'm wondering if being post-menopausal all of a sudden at 45 might have something to do with it?

I'm achy, cranky and jittery....but the worst part is I can barely think straight. Struggling with meal planning because it's hard to get my thoughts in order. This was a problem before I started this Whole30 but now it seems much worse.

During my other two Whole30's I felt much better the first week, and I had very little hunger in the beginning. This time I'm a weird combination of feeling really hungry most of the time but also having no appetite and not wanting to eat. Weird, I know. Never knew you could simultaneously feel hungry but uninterested in eating! I am getting my three meals in, and have been compliant with lots of veggies and protein, good fats and some fruit, but I still feel like total, utter crap. 

Anyone have any advice? Not sure whether to eat more fruit, cut it out altogether or stay on the middle path. 

I might also mention that I've been under tremendous stress the past few years caring 24/7 for a live-in parent with dementia who needs help to do everything, while working full time, and looking after 4 dogs. I'm just So. Damn. Tired. (BUT WIRED).

I was hoping to glide on into this Whole30 and get right back to Tiger Blood. Instead, so far it's been Kill All The Things TWICE, and then KILL THEM AGAIN before stomping them into dust, then while attempting to kick them to the curb, realizing you forgot where you put them, and wait...What was I doing and why did I come in this room again?? Oh yes - to collapse in exhaustion, but HA HA! Guess Again Sistah - 'cause you won't be able to sleep. And tomorrow it starts all over again! Woo hoo!

Help!!!

Thanks much.....

Holly

Hi Holly -

I am hardly an expert, but for the first 5 days of Whole30 I felt like complete and utter crap -- it kicked in the afternoon of Day 1. Complete exhuastion and killer head/neckache. I think I have come out of that "carb flu" (now on Day 7). So perhaps this too shall pass?

Otherwise, I just wanted to send you some positive thoughts! You have a TON on your plate!! Please be kind to yourself. I hope you can get outside and take a walk or otherwise enjoy sunshine or a moment of peace in your stressful days.

I am thinking maybe adding a good amount of starchy veggies on you plate might be a requirement.  Starchy veggies are a must during your first 10 days.  Start with at least one fist sized portion a day and increase as needed.  You may need more because of hormones adjusting.

• Moderators

This is actually akin to what I was experiencing on my current Whole30. Sometimes I think it's just the timing and the hormones and also we are very close in age. It's annoying but it's getting better for me. Hope you improve too. Starchy veggies and good sleep hygiene (cut out looking at any screen at least 2 hours before bedtime).

Hey Gang!

Thanks so much for the support. The good news is, I woke up feeling a LOT better today. More mentally clear, and in a better mood overall.  Also stopped peeing quite so much, so maybe my brain was having a harder time adapting to the switch, but now I'm burning more fat for energy? Didn't change too much, 'cept I did have a tablespoon of raw pecan butter and a nectarine as a snack before bed last night. Onward and upward!

Cheers-

Holly

p.s. Sleep has been really challenging in general. Between my Dad's weird sleep/wake schedule & diaper changes, plus menopause, it's been really hard to get more than five or six hours if I'm lucky. Not quite sure how to fix that though...seems largely hormonally (or lack therof) driven. I can't supplement with hormones 'cause I had a hormone dependent cancer, so it's been "cold turkey" since surgery. 

• Moderators

We discourage eating fruit and nut butter as a snack -- that's going to mess with your Sugar Dragon. But it does sound like a sweet potato along with your meal template based dinner would benefit you. I find starchy veggies with my Meal 3 help a lot with sleep.

Keep on keeping on!

Archived