Donna's Post 100 - Gonna Make it through the Winter Log

Dnnasttn

I started out thinking a Whole30 would be a huge challenge.  But it really wasn't (after the first 10 days anyway!).  So I decided to go for 100.  That wasn't so hard either.  So now I am focused on the best I can do for the rest of my life.  I used the log faithfully during the 100 days and it really helped to correspond with others and track my progress.  (prior log was "I Decided I want to live")  

So my post-100 log will be my way of checking myself.  If I can encourage anyone to stick with it because of my experience, that's a big bonus.  

It's been an incredible journey.  I feel comfortable in my own skin, my mind is clear and I feel energetic and relaxed at the same time.  I don't have cravings - fleeting thoughts about bad foods but not cravings that send me out in my pajamas for ice cream. Whole30 is exactly what I needed, when I needed it.  It's now a way of life.  I look at wrong foods and think, ugh, I don't want that.  I recognize that I have free will and can eat whatever I want.  But I want veggies, fruits and beautiful spiced-up proteins.  I want to feel healthy and productive and strong.

I no longer have to read every label... I know the good stuff.  I'm a whiz in the kitchen, prepping crock pot meals that I can share with my husband and still freeze portions for later.  I've accepted that the use of paper plates will save me tons of time and dishpan hands!

I lost 2 clothing sizes in 100 days and I'm getting leaner and stronger every week.  That's unbelievable to me!

Now the worry:  My only worry going forward is what will happen when winter comes.  I don't do well in cold, rainy, snowy, un-sunny weather.  I tend to get sad and isolated and find comfort in food.  Knowing this, my planning starts now, while summer is here.  I don't want to find myself back at square 1 next year so I think I'll reread this post every now and then... winter will pass and it's just one season out of four!  It's no big deal and I can find ways to stay busy and happy even when I'm trapped inside.  

Well, I've gone on and on with this starter post - promise it won't be like this every day.  Onward!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found you!!!!!

So glad to follow you in your post Whole100 life! I am on day 99 today! I'll be joining you very soon!!! :)

My favorite thing about fall? crockpot stuff!!! That could be fun! We can try to make some awesome paleo/whole30 style crockpot meals/soups!

Found you!!!!!

So glad to follow you in your post Whole100 life! I am on day 99 today! I'll be joining you very soon!!! :)

My favorite thing about fall? crockpot stuff!!! That could be fun! We can try to make some awesome paleo/whole30 style crockpot meals/soups!

Hmmm, I've never been much of a soup person, but since my tastes have changed so drastically, that's a good thing to consider!  Some tomato basil might be good!  Or sweet potato with coconut milk, spices and a little bacon?  Now you've got me thinking...

Hmmm, I've never been much of a soup person, but since my tastes have changed so drastically, that's a good thing to consider!  Some tomato basil might be good!  Or sweet potato with coconut milk, spices and a little bacon?  Now you've got me thinking...

OH, I love sweet potato soup!  and carrot - perhaps with a little ginger.......  soups used to be my main breakfast, perhaps with a piece of chicken or some eggs.  easy to eat in the mornings, especially before a workout....

Hi everyone!  It's 8/13/15 and I've yet to reintroduce any foods!  I'm doing well carrying on with the way I've been eating for 100+ days.  I had a personal disappointment today and thought about sweets and comfort foods but I didn't stop anywhere and didn't give in to it.  I recognized that it was a direct result of feeling emotional and that adding more bad feelings wouldn't help.  Progress!

I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm so proud of you!

I wish I hadn't introduced anything. I've only had cream in my coffee twice, and a TINY amount of "added" sugar, but I'm still feeling guilty about it!!! (I started my post log, and have been documenting in there)

You are awesome to keep going! :)

Today is Saturday, which means I went to the pool!  I finally ate a meal I didn't prepare myself... a chicken apple salad from Wendy's with no bleu cheese or nuts.  I used a small amount of the pomegranate balsamic dressing.  It tasted good but within an hour I was having stomach pain.  I've had NO stomach problems worth mentioning while eating W30.  What could cause this?  I am highly sensitive to sulphites but they're not allowed to use those on salads anymore... or ARE they?  Well, back to the kitchen for me.  Not worth venturing out.  Ha ha.  Other than the salad, I've added nothing new and still don't feel the need to!  Despite the stomach thing, it was a beautiful day with friends and I'm grateful for it.   :)

Congrats on your 100 !!  a suggestion for you and the upcoming winter ... I live in Wisconsin so I can totally relate - have you considered taking vitamin D3 ?  it is a big help - with moods, patience, and all that goes with the winter blues.  My doc suggested it and I have noticed a huge improvement.  I even have my 14 yr daughter taking it.

Well Fed has some good soup recipes that don't taste like a can of Campbell's !  Love the zuchhini one... sounds like you have the crock pot down pat- another good one for winter meals.

and if you have a grill - and can have it handy - I love grilling some burgers or steak in the middle of the winter - makes me forget about the 3 + feet of snow outside !!

I found a list of ingredients for the Wendy's salad dressing. Not sure how legit this is, as it wasn't from the Wendy's website.

Water, sugar, pomegranate juice concentrate, soybean oil, white wine vinegar, orange juice concentrate, balsamic vinegar, distilled vinegar, salt. orange flaveds (orange peel, sugar, orange oil), shallots, xanthum gum, natural flavor, spices.

Are you sensitive to soy? That was the ingredient that really stuck out to me.

I found a list of ingredients for the Wendy's salad dressing. Not sure how legit this is, as it wasn't from the Wendy's website.

Water, sugar, pomegranate juice concentrate, soybean oil, white wine vinegar, orange juice concentrate, balsamic vinegar, distilled vinegar, salt. orange flaveds (orange peel, sugar, orange oil), shallots, xanthum gum, natural flavor, spices.

Are you sensitive to soy? That was the ingredient that really stuck out to me.

That's a lot more info than I found.  I'll keep an eye out for soy... it's a possible problem!  Good to know - thanks Julie!

Congrats on your 100 !!  a suggestion for you and the upcoming winter ... I live in Wisconsin so I can totally relate - have you considered taking vitamin D3 ?  it is a big help - with moods, patience, and all that goes with the winter blues.  My doc suggested it and I have noticed a huge improvement.  I even have my 14 yr daughter taking it.

Well Fed has some good soup recipes that don't taste like a can of Campbell's !  Love the zuchhini one... sounds like you have the crock pot down pat- another good one for winter meals.

and if you have a grill - and can have it handy - I love grilling some burgers or steak in the middle of the winter - makes me forget about the 3 + feet of snow outside !!

My doc had me taking D3 last winter.  I will put that on m regimen for the Fall!   Zucchini is one of my favorite veggies, so I'll look for it on Well Fed.  THANKS

Today is Tuesday the 18th and all is well.  I had the aforementioned Wendy's salad which didn't sit well.  Watching for soy now (thanks Julie).   I made a DECISION to have gelato with my husband on Sunday.  That went better.  It tasted sooooo sweet to me, even toned down with coconut flakes.  Nevertheless, it was good and didn't wake up the sugar dragon.  I was, however, very tired yesterday and that hasn't happened in a long time.  Conclusion - sugar is something for rare occasions.  I feel much better without it.  

Just another thought on the salad: soy is a huge problem for me - found in almost every over the counter dressing... However, although the grilled chicken shouldn't have anything on it, often the grills are sprayed with a soy based oil. The chicken is also cut on the same boards as all the other meats, so may pick up wheat and dairy bits. Also, it could be something as simple as what is used to wash the lettuce. My cafeteria at work uses a spray wash for the lettuce - causes me all kinds of problems. It doesn't have to be listed on ingredient or allergy lists because it is "rinsed off".... But that also depends on who does the rinsing :)

• Administrators

Just another thought on the salad: soy is a huge problem for me - found in almost every over the counter dressing... However, although the grilled chicken shouldn't have anything on it, often the grills are sprayed with a soy based oil. The chicken is also cut on the same boards as all the other meats, so may pick up wheat and dairy bits. Also, it could be something as simple as what is used to wash the lettuce. My cafeteria at work uses a spray wash for the lettuce - causes me all kinds of problems. It doesn't have to be listed on ingredient or allergy lists because it is "rinsed off".... But that also depends on who does the rinsing :)

Coming slightly late to this but that "Fruit Fresh" produce wash that you can buy at the store? Gives me a HORRIBLE stomach ache.  Every frigging time.  Possible that, as Kmlynne says, whatever they washed the produce with gave you a tummy ache.

Archived