Almond milk

kr72

If you do a search for "almond milk" you will pull up a ton of posts about it. Here is a link to the most recent that has a moderator chiming in about it. She also suggests light coconut milk in place of almond milk.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2949-non-dairy-creamer-for-coffee/page__hl__%2Balmond+%2Bmilk__fromsearch__1

• 1 month later...

I still don't understand why almond milk is frowned upon. The 365 Organics brand sold by Whole Foods doesn't have any carageenan, sweeteners, guar gum, or anything else on the forbidden list. Is it because it is enriched with vitamins? Cuz if almond milk is forbidden then my first 3 of my first 4 days haven't met the standards :(

I still don't understand why almond milk is frowned upon. The 365 Organics brand sold by Whole Foods doesn't have any carageenan, sweeteners, guar gum, or anything else on the forbidden list. Is it because it is enriched with vitamins? Cuz if almond milk is forbidden then my first 3 of my first 4 days haven't met the standards :(

It's been pretty much decided that it's impossible to find it compliant. What exactly is in the ingredients? It's in a milk carton and not a can correct?

Oops, I misremembered, there IS gum in the 365 Organics brand, but I read in another forum that guar gum and xantham gum are OK, if not encouraged.

Anyway, the ingredients are: Filtered water, organic almonds, sea salt, xantham gum, sunflower lecithin, and added vitamins/minerals: potassium, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin D2, and vitamin E. It's in a shelf-stable carton.

I've never seen any of those ingredients on the list of "no" foods on the Whole30 site. I specifically chose this brand because my old brand (Almond Breeze) has carageenan and I know that's forbidden. Is it just because of the not-really-natural vitamins used? I'm feeling confused and frustrated, because almond milk is my absolute FAVE. Maybe it's just time to start making it again....

After whole30 is there any milk that's not so bad? I am really looking for soothing to add to my coffee.

I like Coconut milk but not really a favorite with coffee. I heard goat milk is not bad.

What about half and half or heavy cream?

I just want to make sure it doesn't trigger the sugar dragon. I heard dairy could do that.

After whole30 is there any milk that's not so bad? I am really looking for soothing to add to my coffee.

I like Coconut milk but not really a favorite with coffee. I heard goat milk is not bad.

What about half and half or heavy cream?

I just want to make sure it doesn't trigger the sugar dragon. I heard dairy could do that.

I have not heard that it triggers the sugar dragon. After you are finished and want to experiment with re-introduction, just make dairy your first item and you'll know. For me, 1 TBS of half and half in my morning coffee does nothing. If I had dairy all day ending with ice cream at night, I'd be miserable. When not on Whole 30, I still use coconut milk in my coffee most of the time, but if I don't, I don't sweat it.

I have not heard that it triggers the sugar dragon. After you are finished and want to experiment with re-introduction, just make dairy your first item and you'll know. For me, 1 TBS of half and half in my morning coffee does nothing. If I had dairy all day ending with ice cream at night, I'd be miserable. When not on Whole 30, I still use coconut milk in my coffee most of the time, but if I don't, I don't sweat it.

I guess I need to experiment. I have allergies that clog my nose and i notice breathing much better now avoiding dairy.

I am almost done with W30 (3 days left). I am afraid if I have dairy again my symptoms might come back.

I love cappuccinos and I am missing that a lot. Coconut and almond milk doesn't really do for me with coffee.

I guess I need to experiment. I have allergies that clog my nose and i notice breathing much better now avoiding dairy.

I am almost done with W30 (3 days left). I am afraid if I have dairy again my symptoms might come back.

I love cappuccinos and I am missing that a lot. Coconut and almond milk doesn't really do for me with coffee.

Oh, you may be one of those people who can't tolerate dairy at all. You'll figure it out. :)

Imma gonna jump in here and say that the AM mentioned above falls into a technical loophole and is allowable. It's not optimal, no, but not forbidden. Here's the thing though: it's a pretty processed vehicle for all of the not-so-super qualities of nuts, so I'd throw it on the limit list right alongside the nuts and their butters. It really shouldn't replace a significant portion of your water intake, nor should it make its way into smoothies and such.

Archived