My First Whole30 Program Log

mfustos

This is my first day of the Whole30 Program. I did a "soft start" for 2 days prior to this, but mostly to get familiar with really reading labels and making sure my foods were compliant with the program. I will track my food and progress here:

Day 1 Food Log

Breakfast

• Hard boiled egg
  • Half an avocado
  • 10 oz of black coffee (getting used to this with no cream/sugar)

Lunch

• 1/4 lb hamburger w/Hawaiian salt to taste(no hormones, steroids or antibiotic raised beef) 
  • Spinach salad with salsa, hand full of coconut flakes and less than hand full of almonds
  • Carrots
  • Packet of mustard (compliant) 

Snack

• 1/4 lb hamburger
  • 1 TB of coconut flakes

Dinner

• A little more than palm sized steak (no hormones, steroids or antibiotic raised beef)
  • Grilled zucchini tossed in EV olive oil, organic sulfite free lemon juice and Hawaiian salt)
  • Baked potato with EV olive oil
  • side of homemade olive oil mayo

Other

• 2 Tylenol for a headache
  • Water consumption - approx 150 oz

Thoughts and What I noticed after day one

1. I am a lot more conscious about the food I put into my mouth and the ingredients I am ingesting

2. I had a headache this morning that I took 2 Tylenol for... it came back around 6 pm tonight and I have refrained from taking meds for it

3. From reading others' food intake, I need to make sure I am eating enough and including good fats in all of my meals - especially important for days I work out is the PWO meal.

4. My brain fog and vertigo has already significantly been reduced only after one day of eating more fats and protein

5. I had to snack today because I was hungry and often times letting my hunger go can result in a headache

6. I feel that now I know I can't cheat with ice cream or something sweet I am craving it more today

7. I made my very first Whole30 recipe - mayo... It was the one with olive oil, lemon, powdered mustard, salt and egg. I may have gotten a bit too much salt in, but it tastes SO GOOD! I am normally a Miracle Whip girl and never really liked store bought mayo...but this is fantastic. I can't wait to starting using it as a base to add dill to for a veggie dip or as a base for salad dressing. Even my husband was all about it and dipping his steak in it - and putting it on his baked potato. 

My relationship with food has always been a very tricky one. I am forever recovering from anorexia, where I have dealt with it on two separate occasions - once for about 4-5 years and once for 9 months. I have always thought that eating more was a bad thing and not that you should eat more...as long as you are eating the correct foods in the correct combination. I have been gluten free for around 3-4 years, dairy free for almost 1 year, and recently started cutting out sugar from my diet. I haven't ever been a huge soda drinker, but almost always have had at least one cup of coffee in the morning. I thought my diet was extremely healthy... I even was a label reader and tried to stay away from things I couldn't pronounce. I think I definitely over estimated my health number.

My normal food intake for a day used to look something like this: breakfast: coffee with cream and sugar and a banana, Lunch: spinach salad with tuna or chicken, almonds or walnuts, and a ton of dressing (I was a slave to the dressing) and Dinner: chicken breast or beef of some sort, sweet or white potato and another spinach salad (or some combo of a couple veggies), but they very rarely took center stage on the plate and I often felt guilty for eating a full portion of meat. Later in the night I would often make a "healthy" desert of 2-3 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter melted a bit and mixed in with raw oats. I snacked on nuts and fruit a lot and would sometime bring chips into the mix. My major downfall in snacking was tortilla chips, which I deemed healthy b/c it was gluten free. However; when I drank, I would often throw all the rules out the window and eat anything I wanted...resulting in feeling like crap and breaking out horribly within a couple of days. As of this past June, I have also given up drinking alcohol b/c of the extremely negative effect it had on my anxiety. Thus far, not drinking has been a lot easier than I thought it would be. 

All-in-all, day one is in the books and has been successful. Other than regaining control of my health, figuring out what is causing inflammation in my body and acne flareups (other than gluten and diary) and possibly dropping some body fat - I am guessing and hoping my cooking skills will expand greatly with this experience. I can definitely see myself eating like this for the rest of my life. 

Day 2 Food Journal

Breakfast

• 3 scrambled eggs with dill weed
  • red peppers 
  • tablespoon of mayo

Lunch

• Can of soy free tuna
  • mayo & extra virgin olive oil
  • dill weed
  • tomato
  • red pepper
  • small amount of broccoli
  • watermelon

Dinner

• Left over steak (smaller than palm size)
  • hard boiled egg
  • baked potato with EV Olive Oil
  • broccoli with mayo and EV olive oil, dill weed and salt

What I noticed after day 2:

Had a massage this AM. Cleaned the house and spent some time outside. Was tired this afternoon and napped. Still getting hungry in between meals but not eating snacks. Often feel a pang of hunger within 15-30 minutes after eating but then it goes away. Have had a dull headache since yesterday. Some amount of brain fog and vertigo. Took aleve this am to keep from getting a migraine. Not sure if the headaches are a result of the new food intake or skeletal/muscular. 

Day 3

Brunch (around 10:30am)

• 2 eggs scrambled
  • 1 1/2 medium potatoes sliced and pan fried in EVOO - dipped in HM mayo
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 cup sauteed red peppers
  • 8 oz black coffee

Snack

• 1 T coconut oil with cinnamon 
  • 1/2 cup watermelon

Dinner

• Palm sized - 1inch thick chicken breast cooked with 1 tsp of coconut oil inside
  • 2/3 cup beets
  • 1/2 cup raw carrots
  • 1 cup summer squash
  • 1 T hm mayo for dip
  • a couple of small pieces of watermelon 

Water - approx 75 -  90 oz

Day 4

Breakfast

• palm sized chicken breast 
  • 2/3 cup sliced potato pan fried
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 10 oz coffee black

Lunch

• Palm sized chicken breast
  • 1/4-1/2 cup beets
  • 1 cup raw carrots
  • 2 roma tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 T HM mayo with Dill weed for dipping
  • closed handful of almonds

Pre-WO snack

1 hour flow yoga - felt much more strong and focused

Dinner 

• 2 palm sized (although about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick) tilapia fillet
  • 1 cup spinach salad with 2T EVOO and 1T mayo
  • 2 cups baked potato with EVOO drizzled and 1/3 cup salsa

Approx 140 oz H20

Feeling more energized and balanced throughout the day. Less dizzy/vertigo spells. I feel stronger when doing work outs. I feel less emotional. The hunger between meals is starting to go away. Experiencing a little bit of constipation. Took 3 of my psyllium husk pills last night to get things moving. My head only slightly hurt yesterday right behind my eyes after staring at the computer screen for too long. Otherwise, my body is starting to feel better. 

Day 5

Breakfast

• 3 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 med sized (2/3 - 1 cup) orange pepper sliced
  • 1 peach and 1/2 cup strawberries mixed with 4 oz of Thai coconut milk (YUM)
  • 10 oz coffee

45 minute Pilates class (more intense than normal with a lot leg work)

Have a slight headache after class and a little brain fog and grogginess

Lunch

• 2 cups spinach salad with:
  • 8 oz ground beef
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 2 roma tomatoes
  • 1 cup broccoli
  • HM mayo and EVOO salad dress with dill weed - approximately 3 T (hard to tell as part of it was with the broccoli overnight and was slightly runny)

3/4 of the way through my salad and I my satiety is at capacity. Not full like my stomach is distended and can't fit any more food, just don't feel like I need to eat the rest of the salad at this moment in time. Will put back in the fridge to eat at later point. 

About 3:30 pm getting a little bit of vertigo and extremely sleepy. Also, a sinus headache is trying to come on. What is up with that?

Dinner (stomach still slightly upset)

• Large baked potato (2 cups) with EVOO and 1T mayo

Day 6

Feeling a bit foggy and unfocused this am before breakfast. My right eye twitched with my heartbeat (which has been happening off and on for a while)

Breakfast

• 3 scrambled eggs
  • 1 large baked potato hashed (approx 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • less than 1T mayo
  • 10 oz black coffee

Advice of advanced member: making sure to add salt to my meals and a little bit to my water, especially when developing a headache or getting brain fog. Might need more electrolytes.

Lunch

• 1 cup ground beef with compliant Italian seasoning
  • 2/3 cup of spinach, broccoli, almond, mayo mix left over from day before
  • 1/4 cup carrots (raw)

Dinner

• Chicken fajitas with homemade compliant seasoning included:
  • 1 cup diced chx and onion mix, 1 cup dices red and yellow bell peppers
  • 1/2 cup spinach
  • 2 T guac (home made)
  • 2 T Salsa
  • 10 whole black olives
  • 1/2 cup strawberry,peaches and coconut milk

Feeling tired between lunch and dinner.  A few headaches behind my head - drank water with salt, seemed to help a bit. 

Just read over your log and I think you need to focus on your veggies, fat and proteins. Your lunch today was really small and that could contribute to your feeling tired between lunch and dinner. 

If you are only eating eggs for breakfast, have as many as you can hold in one hand -- most ladies can hold 3-4 -- and aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal. I shoot for 4, and I don't include salad greens in that count. My salads can fill a large pyrex mixing bowl! If you are hungry, like steamed fish and plain broccoli sound like ambrosia, have a mini meal -- at least protein and a fat and you can have veggies with it -- something small like a hard boiled egg, a chicken leg, 1/2 a chicken breast, something like that, some mayo, olives, avocado for example and then some veg-- baby carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers.... If you feel the need for a snack, bump up your next meal and play with your amounts so that you feel satisfied for 4-5 hours. If you feel you can't finish a meal, make sure you have taken bites all around your plate (I like to build a bite --protein, veg and fat in a bite), wrap up the leftovers and come back to it when you can. 

Don't fear the fat! Fat is not the enemy that we have been taught to fear. Don't allow fruit to push veggies off your plate -- veggies are far more nutritious than fruit. Hold fruit for the end of the meal -- fill up on veg, protein and fats first. Your fruit with the coconut milk sounds very 'desserty' and is something to be careful of, especially if it is propping up your sugar dragon. 

One final note -- cooked and especially roasted veggies are much more satisfying than raw veggies and can be easier to digest and easier on your system. 

Keep on keeping on   :D

Thank you for your input SpinSpin- I am really trying to make sure I get the protein, veggies and fats into each meal... I will up my veggie intake and start cooking them more.  I have to say that I am discovering that the things I am making homemade (like mayo and fajita seasoning) are SOOOOOO much better than that store bought crap. I don't know that I will ever go back to the easy way after this. 

Also, thank you for reminding me to not "Fear the fat"...b/c I do...as I am sure a lot of us do.

Thanks, again. Feel free to stop by my log in the future and leave advise/comments. :)

Day 7 - OMG It's been a WEEK!

Breakfast

• 3 hard boiled eggs
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 sweet potato pan cooked in coconut oil
  • Mayo mixed in with the egg
  • 10 oz black coffee

Lunch

• 1 cup spinach
  • 1 cup diced fajita chicken
  • 1 cup mix of sautéed red and yellow bell peppers and onion
  • 1/4 cup guac
  • 8 whole black olives
  • 1 cup raw carrots (crinkle cut)
  • 1T mayo

Pre-WO Meal - very sad...didn't have any extra protein with me

• 10 full black olives

Dinner

• 2 cups spaghetti squash
  • 1 cup spaghetti sauce (made with compliant tomato sauce, tomato paste, 1/2 T of EVOO, 1 can mushroom, italian seasoning, oregano, sweet basil, onion flakes, garlic powder, salt, pinch of cinnamon, thyme) REALLY GOOD!
  • 1 cup green beans
  • 26 medium sized shrimp briefly in 1T coconut oil and lemon juice poured on top of sauce (approx 2 palm size) (Not good when frozen and especially not good with marinara sauce....ate the shrimp anyway)

Day 8 (I am slightly sick of eating)

Breakfast

• Breakfast Hash:
    • 2 heaping palms of ground up hamburger (a little over 1 cup)
    • 1 med sweet potato sautteed in 1/2 T EVOO (about 1 1/4 cup)
    • 1 red pepper  1/2 T EVOO(about 1 cup)
    • 1/2 avacado

Lunch

• Spaghetti Squash 1 cup
  • green beens 3/4 cup
  • 1.5 cups hamburger
  • Spaghetti sauce 1.5 cups
    • tomato paste
    • tomato sauce
    • mushroom
    • EVOO

Dinner

• Steak - slightly larger than palm sized
  • 1 cup beets
  • 1 1/4 cup asparagus 
  • 1/2 cup spinach salad with EVOO and 1/4 cup salsa

Day 8 Thoughts/feelings from the first week

So, thus far I have mostly had the biggest problem with eating enough food and in the right variety. I have had off and on bouts of brain fog and dizziness depending on the day. Starting day 6 i have started making sure to salt my meals and have added a little bit of salt to my water throughout the day. It seems to help some with brain fog and dizziness. Have been exhausted the last three days or so. Today was extremely busy all day, so didn't really notice tiredness until I slowed down and got home. I have also been getting woken up almost ever night from the dogs (or I had to pee one of the nights the dogs didn't get up). Today was a bigger test at work as we had a 40th hour get together at work with drinks and chips, popcorn and cupcakes. I normally don't have any issues with standing up to my temptations (the bad and good thing about having dealt with an eating disorder), but today was a bit different...I almost just randomly and absent-mindedly grabbed some potato chips and started munching away. It was eye opening how easily your brain can just take over and try and set you on auto pilot. 

Right now, I am laying on my couch not want to make yet another meal and just wanting to go to sleep...but fortunately, I need to take care of my dogs needs, which will mean I need to take care of my own as well. 

Oh, and another thing...I am not sure what is up with this, but I feel like I look like crap. I know that your thoughts and moods are dictated by your hormones as well - but I feel like I look tired and worn down and just...gross. I have dealt with these thoughts and feelings a lot because of my body image disorder, but I had been doing pretty well keeping these thoughts under control until now. I am hoping these feelings past quickly. 

My muscle pains seem to be diminishing steadily and I haven't taken a pill for a headache since about day 2. I still get dull headaches almost everyday, but they aren't as debilitating as before - and sometimes they actually go away by drinking water with salt. The bottom of my left eye keeps twitching and has been for months. I know part of it is stress/anxiety related, but I am hoping a better fueled body will soon be able to deal with the stress and anxiety better. 

Day 9 - slept until noon... needed it :)

Lunch:

• 3 scrambled eggs 
  • a little steak
  • 1 full (1 cup) orange pepper
  • 1/4 cup mushrooms
  • 1 full sweet potato (over 1 cup) pan fried in coconut oil
  • 1/2 avacado

Out on the boat...made sure to bring a snack

Snack

• 2 hard boiled eggs
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 med sized banana

Dinner

• Steak (more than palm sized) with less  than 1/4 cup mushrooms on top
  • large baked potato (1 1/2 cup) with EVOO and 1/4 cup salsa
  • cooked carrots (1 cup)

Day 10

Breakfast (9:30)

• 2 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 sweet potato pan fried in coconut oil (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 12 oz coffee

Lunch (2:15ish)

• Soup (by far the strangest recipe I have made to date...but really good)
    • 1 Chicken breast (larger than palm size - pan cooked with coconut oil)
    • 2 cups cauliflower
    • 1/4 cup beets & juice (leftover)
    • 1/4 cup coconut milk (thai brand)
    • 1/8 tsp dill
    • Salt

Added curry powder then looked at ingredients and saw spice extractives. Didn't know exactly what they were but know from research that they can be W30 non compliant, so I rinsed off the chicken pieces. 

Dinner (7:30)

• Palm size hamburger
  • 1 1/2 cup grilled zucchini with EVOO and Italian Seasoning
  • 1/2 cup raw carrots
  • 1 cup spinach salad
  • 4T mayo as salad dressing and dip

Day 11

Breakfast

• 3 scrambled eggs
  • 1 whole sweet potato pan fried in coconut oil (about 1 1/4 cup)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1T mayo
  • 12 oz black coffee

Lunch

• Over palm size hamburger
  • 1.5 cups cauliflower
  • 3/4 cup raw carrotts
  • 1/4 cup mayo for dipping

1 hour yoga (strength)

Dinner

• Over palm sized chicken cooked in coconut oil topped with coconut flakes
  • 3/4 cup brussel sprouts (I do not like brussel sprouts)
  • 1 cup orange and yellow peppers sauteed in EVOO
  • 2T mayo

Day 12

Breakfast

• 3 scrambled eggs
  • 1 whole sweet potato pan cooked in coconut oil (about 1 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 10 oz black coffee

Experiencing indigestion, but that normally happens a day or two before my cycle starts.

45 minutes Pilates over lunch

Lunch

• Chicken pan cooked in coconut oil and covered with coconut flakes (more than 1 palm amount)
  • sauteed yellow and orange peppers
  • 2 cups cooked carrots
  • 2 oz of HM mayo

Dinner

• Almost 2 palm size portion of round steak
  • baked potato (2 cups) with EVOO 1T mayo
  • 1 1/2 cup spinach with Mayo, EVOO, Lemon and 1/4 cup salsa
  • 1 1/2 banana warmed up with cinnamon 

More stomach ache after lunch, indigestion, looser than normal stools

Day 13

Breakfast

• 3 scrambled eggs
  • 1 sweet potato (1 1/4 cup) pan cooked in Coconut oil
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 10 oz black coffee

Lunch

• Round steak (more than palm sized)
  • 2 cups french beans
  • 2 oz may

Dinner

• Salmon filet (2 palm sizes)
  • 1/2 cup asparagus
  • 1 cup zucchini
  • 1/2 cup raw carrots
  • 4 oz mayo as dip
  • 4 oz kombucha

Have a medium sized headache starting at the back of my head and into behind my eyes. Sometimes happens before my period starts. Also more mental fog/dizzy and fatigued than have been the last couple of days.

Day 14

Breakfast

• Hash - 2 cups white potatoes, 1.5 cups of ground turkey, 1/2 avocado
  • 10 oz black coffee

Lunch

• 2 cups spinach
  • round steak - over a palm sized
  • 1/4 cup cucumber
  • 1 full orange peppers (1 cup)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1/4 cup mayo w/ EVOO and lemon juice

Dinner

• 2 scrambled eggs
  • 2/3 cup ground turkey
  • 2 cups white potato
  • mayo and EVOO
  • W30 compliant mustard

Had acupuncture treatment this afternoon.  A bit tired and dull headache.

Day 15

Breakfast 

• 3 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 sweet potato pan fried with coconut oil
  • 1 closed handful of almonds
  • 10 oz black coffee

Lunch

• 2 - 3 cups spinach
  • 1 4 oz can soy free tuna
  • 2 T mayo with EVOO
  • 2 cups cooked cauliflower

Dinner

• Meatloaf (with no breadcrumbs, oats, or filler) - More than palm size
  • Zucchini on the grill 2 cups
  • Asparagus grilled 1 cup

Day 16 (also first official day of cycle)

Breakfast

• 1 cup sweet potato pan fried
  • 4 eggs with spinach and red pepper
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 T may

Extremely fatigued & groggy today - almost like I woke up in the middle of a REM cycle and just can't get going. Also concerned about the health of my dog, causing extra anxiety and stress.

Lunch (not too hungry, which often happens the first couple days of my cycle)

• less than palm sized left over meatloaf
  • 1 cup carrots (raw)
  • 2 T mayo

Dinner 

• Turkey burger (over a plam sized)
  • 2 cups white baked potatoe
  • 2 T mayo

Sorry to hop on your log - but you posted on other log that you are feeding your dog some different food...  I am very interested in knowing more about that.... I have old dog and an old cat that I am trying to make sure they eat good.   I feed them both NO Grain food but would love more ideas.

You can send me a message if you would rather communicate that way !   Thanks - in advance

Oh and love your posts - you are doing great !

Day 17 (slept until almost noon)

Lunch

• 2 palm sized chicken breast
  • 1 cup zucchini grilled with olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cup cooked carrots
  • 3 T mayo
  • 8 oz black coffee

Dinner

• 4 eggs scrambled (failed attempt at an omelet)
    • 1 yellow pepper sauteed with EVOO
    • 2 cups sauteed spinach
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups sweet potato pan fried with coconut oil
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 2 T may

Stomach ache after I ate...partially due to my cycle maybe?

Day 18 

Extremely tired and brain fogged this am - ran out of my anxiety meds and forgot to pick up so hadn't taken them Sat or Sun evening (that can cause dizziness and brain fog) Picked up this am and took. Also, didn't fall asleep until almost midnight and then woke up to coyotes howling outside our house about 3:30 am. Had trouble falling back asleep.

Breakfast

• 1 1/2 cup white potato pan fried in Light Olive Oil
  • 3 scrambled eggs
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1.5 T mayo
  • 12 oz black coffee

Lunch

•  over a palm size portion of turkey burger
  • 1 1/2 cup white potato pan fried left over from breakfast
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup raw carrots
  • 1 1/2 T mayo for dipping

More tired than usual today. Focus coming back after consuming food and adding some salt to my water. 3rd day of period...pretty normal for me to be tired during this time of the month. Hopefully continuing W30 compliant eating into the next few months will alter my cycle related fatigue.

Gym - ran/walked, pull ups and dips (starting back into light lifting) stretching

Dinner

• 2 palm sized hamburgers
  • 1/2 cup asparagus (started out as 1 cup but I burnt it on the grill)
  • 2 cups green beans 
  • 4 T mayo for dipping

Day 19 - Stayed up much later than normal again last night doing contract work - hit snooze A LOT this morning...did more harm than good I am sure.

Breakfast

• 1 hamburger patty (over palm sized)
  • Sweet potato pan cooked in coconut oil (around 2 cups+)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 10 oz coffee

Lunch

• 3 cups spinach salad
  • 4 oz of mushrooms
  • 1 hamburger (over palm sized)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 4-5T mayo with extra EVOO, lemon juice and dill weed added to make salad dressing

Extremely fatigued and brain fogged today...a bit of vertigo. Realized that I had hit my head while getting out of the car yesterday and pull my neck to the right as well as heard some cracking. Dull headache last night and while walking, feeling as though the axis of my neck is out of alignment. Have a NUCCA appoint today at 5pm. Hoping this will put things back into place and healing on nerve pulses and soft tissue can continue. 

Dinner

• Chicken breast (1 1/2 palm sized)
  • asparagus (approx 1/2 - 3/4 cup
  • yellow squash (approx 1 - 1 1/4 cup)
  • 3 T mayo

Headache and tired after NUCCA treatment. WE shall see what tomorrow brings after I get some better sleep.

Day 20 - got to bed around 10:30 - dog woke me up to go out around 1230. Feeling better. Less fatigued and less medicine head now that I am eating my breakfast. 

Breakfast 

• 3 scrambled eggs
  • 1 sweet potato pan fried in coconut oil (approx 1 cup) (this is my favorite thing ever!)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 3/4 cup iced black tea with lemon

Lunch

Archived