give into one craving?

I know the answer to this but in a very high stress week, I'm having a terrible craving for a diet coke (which I had pretty much given up). I've had two starbucks green teas with a little passion tea (no sweetener)--my go-to drink. I'm working out every day. I'm drinking a lot of water, I've had a bubbly La Croix, have eaten veggies, fruits, protein and fat. I've meditated. I wouldn't even mind "starting over" as I plan to do this extended but I feel like I'm eating a lot of food just to avoid half a can of diet coke. What else do you all have for distractions. I HATE this. I've been so good, thought I was over the hump but this is getting dumb. This is not a trigger "food" for me. No slippery slope. Now that I've convinced you I'm insane, whaddya got?

When I decided to stop smoking altogether -- truly decided -- I did A LOT of things to avoid having even one puff.   But guess what?  It doesn't last long, and I can proudly say I'm nicotine-free for 2+ years now.

..........Yep, that's what you do.  You do what you GOTTA do.    :)

You can rationalize it however which way you choose -- none of US have to live in your head, with your thoughts -- but the fact remains:  If you give in to Diet Coke at this point, you are addicted, and that tiny 1/2 can of chemicals WON.

"I can have it tomorrow."

Melissa Hartwig Instagrammed (?) that trick a while back, and it works like a charm for me. For me, it's coffee: my stress-mind says, "I want coffee," and I say, "I can have that tomorrow." It's like I can stop thinking about it right now, today, because I'll have it tomorrow.

Johnny M, on 09 Jul 2012 - 4:21 PM, said:snapback.png

My biggest tip is to be prepared at all times. To me, eating per whole30 guidelines is EASY when compliant foods are in abundance and forbidden foods are nowhere to be seen. I'd never choose something I used to eat like mac n cheese or a frozen meal over a huge slow cooker full of pulled pork and a salad of mixed greens with homemade dressing. But if I didn't have the latter foods...I'd eat the crap in a second. In fact, in the beginning of my whole30, my cravings were always for bad foods but as long as I never let myself get ravenously hungry, I never had them. Cook plenty of leftovers ahead of time, buy lots of food containers, know where to get food out in a pinch, and have fun! This isn't about deprivation, it's about indulging in an abundance of health promoting foods.

Thank you everyone!!! It was semi drastic, but I hopped in an Uber with a La Croix and went down to the lakefront/Millennium Park and walked for 30 min, listened to symphony and made a couple of new friends....came home to my salmon and zucchini and I'm good to go. Man, that stunk. I think it's hard when you think you are over the worst and you get blindsided. Thanks again!!!  :D

• Moderators

For something like a Diet Coke habit (addiction) I say give in to a craving never. Never do it. These are things that are MANUFACTURED with the sole purpose of getting you hooked. If you've already been hooked, it would be very easy to get hooked again... I would much rather you drank two Starbucks tea, ate a bunch of complaint food, La Croix and anything else instead of giving in. The cravings will get less and less and eventually you won't have them but in the interim, while they pop up and torture you, do whatever you have to do to get through it!

I was craving chocolate so bad yesterday. I stayed up late on Thursday and that put me off. I ate my regular breakfast and lunch, but started getting very yawny and almost fell asleep while driving home!!! I did add some almond butter to my dinner (baked salmon and green beans) and crunched on some raw carrots and celery. Not great, but better than downing some chocolate. Sometimes it's really tough.

For something like a Diet Coke habit (addiction) I say give in to a craving never. Never do it. These are things that are MANUFACTURED with the sole purpose of getting you hooked.

I think about this often, and it helps me to stay on track. Especially if I can get really angry about the fact that flavor science has gotten me to purchase and consume things that are not only nutritionally devoid but actively damaging to my body.

• Moderators

I think about this often, and it helps me to stay on track. Especially if I can get really angry about the fact that flavor science has gotten me to purchase and consume things that are not only nutritionally devoid but actively damaging to my body.

Good for you! Sing it sister!!!

Archived