Cooking Fat, Added Fat - how much is too much?

I have read frequently on the forum the statement that "most the fat stays in the pan" and that I should add more fat to my meals because of this.

As a former chef, and an intrepid experimenter - I find that statement to not necessarily be true. I have been adding fat, but I am concerned I could be adding to much. My thumbs are small - maybe two teaspoons sized. And I add cooking fat to most everything.

Is there such a thing as too much fat on the whole 30? 

My stock answer is no.    

Moving from a sugar burner to a fat burner...you're in for a real treat.  Cast your cares about fat upon the waters.   The real problem is turning back to sugars because of intense cravings and being a sugar burner.

I started hiking a ridge at a very high elevation over a year ago.   Until the fat burning mode kicked in on my Whole 30,  my legs would buckle out from underneath me and I was so light headed I thought I was going to pass out on the mountain and become food for the Grizz.

One day,  I was no longer a sugar burner.   Fat burner kicked the after burners on and I was a well-oiled machine.  I'm running on jet fuel now.   I don't ever want to go back to being a sugar burner.   My legs are as strong as an ox.   

Not once have I ever concerned myself with the amount of good dietary fats I'm eating.   Those sugars in the form of too many dried fruits, fruit and nutty bars, baby food pouches...don't  touch them.   Allow yourself the true pleasure for 30 days of not worrying one iota about fats.   

When you're craving sugar,  eat more fat and a protein.  Never qu'est-ce que yourself up with more sugars....too many natural sugars are sugars.   Fat burning mode is the coupe de ville of the program.  Let your body get there and report back.   You're in for a real treat.   Body, mind and spirit. 

• Moderators

I have read frequently on the forum the statement that "most the fat stays in the pan" and that I should add more fat to my meals because of this.

As a former chef, and an intrepid experimenter - I find that statement to not necessarily be true. I have been adding fat, but I am concerned I could be adding to much. My thumbs are small - maybe two teaspoons sized. And I add cooking fat to most everything.

Is there such a thing as too much fat on the whole 30?

If your meals are getting you 4-5 hours between sittings without intense cravings or hunger, then you're probably right there with fat. The statement about most of the fat stays in the pan is sort of true, sort of not, depending on what you're cooking... but it's almost impossible to overeat on fat because of the satiety factor... so I would add avocado or olives or mayo or an olive oil drizzle to every meal... you'll find your body will stop you when it's full (such as when you think you wanted a whole avocado but then you don't eat the last quarter of it on your plate). Don't be scared of fat...

40 years of "fat is the enemy" drilled into one's head is fairly hard to shake - but I am trying! I added a bit of ghee to my eggs at the end this morning - baby steps!

Take a leap of faith and jump on in.  The water is fine.  Fat adapted is where it's at.  We've not been afraid to eat all of those sugars which contribute to high cholesterol but we're afraid of fats.  

Think of it as you have to have the hair of the dog to get rid of the sugar hangover or withdrawal symptoms.

A little hair of the dog never hurt anyone.   Take your fats.  STAT.

Whenever I was craving sugar,  I ate a protein and a fat.   Dallas and Melissa have said so. Sugar withdrawal can be miserable.  We're not to use nuts as our primary source of fat.  I've used EVOlive Oil and Macadamia Nut Oil as a medicine.   I would take 2-3 teaspoons straight from the bottle with a protein.  It's good medicine and it will help you get to the fat adapted stage.

Sugar cravings?   I just take a little hair of the dog.  We really are what we eat.   You know how WD40 fixes everything...take a shot of WD30  oil or Whole 30 good dietary fat.   Report back.

Archived