Pot Luck Party

marciphoto

I have to go to a Pot Luck Party next week and am assuming I will only be able to eat what I bring.  So would love a suggestion for a good dish to prepare that won't break the bank when prepared in quantity and will help keep my willpower up to avoid all the other tempting dishes there.

Thanks!

Deviled Eggs, Big Salad with lots of bright colors, Meat balls, chunks of roasted veggies, chicken wing drumets, plate of tomato and red onions drizzled with olive oil and herbs on top… hope this sparks your imagination :)

• Moderators

I'm probably not exactly the life of the party but I don't 'do' potluck... I attend them but I bring one serving of my own lunch/dinner as I would normally and then I eat that in the company of the potluck participators. It does not make any sense to me to make a vast amount of food to 'share' with other people when what I brought was the only thing I could eat... that's not really the idea of a potluck. I'm not sure what your social situation is (my potluck attendance requirement is work so I don't give two hoots about what they think really), but maybe that's an option. I always just say my diet is quite restricted so I can't participate but I want to come anyway. No one really cares as long as you're there...

Just my two cents...

• Moderators

Or do a variation of what SugarcubeOD suggests -- bring a big something to share, and a single serving of whatever you need to make a template meal for you. So a big salad or vegetable dish that everyone can eat, and then you bring your serving of meat or hard boiled eggs or whatever to add to it -- don't forget to bring some fat for the meal if there's not any in the vegetables. 

• 2 weeks later...

What about making a big pot of stew or chili? For a chili, keep toppings like sour cream, cheese, and tortilla strips on the side, and don't forget to include cilantro, lime wedges, and avocado for yourself. 

A curry (vegetables, protein, curry paste, coconut milk) with cauliflower rice on the side would also work. You could still serve some regular rice on the side for people who like that, but I'm sure those "low carb" fanatics would be all over the cauliflower rice. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived