Start date August 9th, first time!

kidsparrow37

Four days ago I started trying to eat Paleo, and after having some dark chocolate and honey decided to go all in with Whole 30. I am a sugar addict, so I think that forcing myself to refrain from things that feed my sweet tooth is going to be necessary if I want to reset my habits. I lived primarily on cheese, sugar, bread, and junk food for my entire life, and this is my first actual effort to apply restrictions and guidelines. 

I've suffered from chronic sinusitis for the last 3 years, and have gained 25 pounds in that time period as well. The groggy, lethargic feeling just kept getting worse, and I started getting hot flashes and blood sugar drops and rushes over the last few months. I am hoping this will help me figure out if parts of my diet have been causing these problems. (I have been tested for diabetes and thyroid problems with nothing detected. And my doctor suggests sinus surgery, but I don't want to rush into that.)

So far, I've found my clean meals of the last few days tastier than the crap I had been eating, though I have noticed that I have to MAKE SURE to always have something prepared. If I get too hungry with nothing ready to go, I lapse into binging on apples with cashew butter, which fits requirements but is still a binge item. 

Even without going stricly whole 30 the last 4 days, I am experiencing some of the symptoms listed in the what to expect forum. My sinuses are draining, throat is a little itchy, and I'be had minor digestive issues. I am a bit tired and groggy, but then again, I was before, too. The first 2 days I felt great. Hoping things pick up again soon! 

Does anyone know of foods that are included in the Whole 30 that tend to cause postnasal drip in case of allergic reactions? Want to make sure I am covering ALL of my bases. 

Does anyone know of foods that are included in the Whole 30 that tend to cause postnasal drip in case of allergic reactions? Want to make sure I am covering ALL of my bases. 

The removal of dairy should really help with this, but you might want to limit your ingestion of acidic foods like tomatoes, citrus fruits, and caffeine - all known to increase acid production which irritates the eosphagus and throat and gives PND-like symptoms - that is, the problem is not necessarly nasal, but rather coming from your stomach.

Hope this helps!

Today, Aug 9th, is also my first day. My first round was in October 2014 and I managed to make it through 60 days. I experienced a lot of benefits: weight loss, increased energy, better skin, and most importantly, stomach issues were resolved. Since then, I have made many failed attempts at getting back to the program; and definitely enjoying sugar and dairy way too much. I'm using an upcoming vacation as a motivator: 143 days away! I've still yet to feel comfortable in my body wearing a bathing suit in public.  

A challenge for me is the cooking. My grocery budget is limited and I don't particularly enjoy cooking. My plan is to keep things simple, which I know will be hard in the beginning. I noticed at my first rounds of Whole 30, I reached a point where I realized I was eating more for fuel and sustenance, rather than satisfying my taste buds. I am looking forward to getting back to that. 

I also attribute the Oct-2014 success with checking in with a group on this forum who also had the same start dates. Looking forward to staying connected with you kidsparrow37 as we embark these next 30 days! Good luck to us both!!

Thanks, everyone! Good to know about acidic foods, jmcbn! 

Flora123, I am a graduate student on a limited budget and with limited time to spend in the kitchen, so I get that! I've found that after stocking up on the expensive mainstays, the produce and meats aren't too, too expensive. It does seem like I am buying way more food than before, though it would be interesting to compare prices of the junk I used to get vs whole foods.  I've decided to make a few meals at once so that kitchen time gives me enough to eat for a few days and I don't end up binging when I'm starving without ready-made food. So far that seems to help. It will be hard to sustain, but we got this! 

Day 6 of paleo, day 2 of whole30 and I can breathe out of both sides of my nose for the first time in 4 years!!! No more hot flashes after big meals, and I don't have the body aches I did the last few days. I do feel like I would kill for a brownie, and never realized that every store I go into smells like pastries, but hopefully this will pass. Yesterday was super hard, I was achey and angry, but today is going to be better. 

It is very hard to figure out to go to restaurants, coffee shops, or bars with friends, but I guess I am just going to have to make an effort to plan other activities, and avoid triggers for a while. 

I had the same problem with smells when I went to Costco and Whole Foods yesterday. I had not eaten lunch yet and the smells were driving me crazy. Also the samples at Costco everyone was eating. I left early. So how is everyone doing?  I joined the Y and will try

to go 3 days a week.  There will be a couch to 5k starting in September that I would like to try.

Oh, and I just found this meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf(posted by jmcbn on another thread). I have been eating smaller meals more frequently, so I will try this. I'm worried I can't down that much food at once though. I was eating 2-3 heavy meals a day before with lots of sugar breaks. 

Yes, EVERYTHING smells like pastries, lostincolo. I tried to go grocery shopping, and just got angry and left. Tried to go to a coffee shop, and could not stand it. Tried to get gas and could smell the donuts. Good luck with the running! My ankles can't handle that, but I am tying to start riding my bike 3 times a week. Starting with just 4 or 5 miles at a time, with intervals of fast cardio riding, and trying to work up to riding to school/work by the end of the month. I've also started getting serious about walking my dogs for 15-30 minutes after eating, and find it is helping digestion quite a bit. 

Thanks, everyone! Good to know about acidic foods, jmcbn! 

Flora123, I am a graduate student on a limited budget and with limited time to spend in the kitchen, so I get that! I've found that after stocking up on the expensive mainstays, the produce and meats aren't too, too expensive. It does seem like I am buying way more food than before, though it would be interesting to compare prices of the junk I used to get vs whole foods.  I've decided to make a few meals at once so that kitchen time gives me enough to eat for a few days and I don't end up binging when I'm starving without ready-made food. So far that seems to help. It will be hard to sustain, but we got this! 

Day 6 of paleo, day 2 of whole30 and I can breathe out of both sides of my nose for the first time in 4 years!!! No more hot flashes after big meals, and I don't have the body aches I did the last few days. I do feel like I would kill for a brownie, and never realized that every store I go into smells like pastries, but hopefully this will pass. Yesterday was super hard, I was achey and angry, but today is going to be better. 

It is very hard to figure out to go to restaurants, coffee shops, or bars with friends, but I guess I am just going to have to make an effort to plan other activities, and avoid triggers for a while. 

Be sure to smother that craving with protein & fat, not carbs, & especially not fruit! Protein & fat, I repeat, protein & fat!!  ;)

Today is my first W30! I am excited and fearful. I spent yesterday grocery shopping and today I spent cooking. I am following the meal plan for week 1 provided in the book and I feel like I spent hours in the kitchen cooking. I just finished dinner (the spaghetti sauce with browned hamburger and spaghetti squash). It was very tasty. I have no idea how much I am supposed to eat. I also decided to start a 30 day walking program. I completed mile 1 today. I honestly haven't felt good today but I don't feel good most days, which is one of the main reasons I have decided to try W30. I don't have a lot of family support so I am trying this forum to find people that are going through the same thing I am going through. :) Good luck to all that have started on this journey.

Today is my first W30! I am excited and fearful. I spent yesterday grocery shopping and today I spent cooking. I am following the meal plan for week 1 provided in the book and I feel like I spent hours in the kitchen cooking. I just finished dinner (the spaghetti sauce with browned hamburger and spaghetti squash). It was very tasty. I have no idea how much I am supposed to eat. I also decided to start a 30 day walking program. I completed mile 1 today. I honestly haven't felt good today but I don't feel good most days, which is one of the main reasons I have decided to try W30. I don't have a lot of family support so I am trying this forum to find people that are going through the same thing I am going through. :) Good luck to all that have started on this journey.

Tamara73, 

Check out the meal template link above. I didn't understand the portioning either, but it's really helpful. I started just reading the website, but I just ordered the book so that instead of having to think about what I'm going to eat all the time, I can just plan and prepare a few meals a couple of times a week. It really is difficult to do something that takes so much effort without support, but you can do it! Good luck with the walking and W30! I still don't feel great, but as you say, I didn't feel great before either. I am willing to struggle through the hurdles if it means a chance of feeling good longterm. 

Today I bit the bullet and threw out everything in my pantry and fridge that wasn't compliant. I know you're supposes to that before starting, but I had a really hard time convincing myself to throw away food. So, here it goes. All in. 

We can do it! 

Hey guys, I just started my second whole 30 today. my first one was oct/nov 2014. Significantly cleaned up my eating since then, but coming off a two week international work trip, thus in need of a reset. Sugar and booze are hardest for me, because booze is my main source of socializing (I know I know). I'm pretty active, but still run into portion issues, so I need to work on fueling not just eating.

Looking forward to this journey (mostly;))!

Kidsparrow37 – great to hear on the improvement with your nose. That is pretty amazing especially after 4 years!

Lostincolo – great job with incorporating physical activity. I need to add that back in my life. We got a new dog (well, as of 1.5 month ago) and she likes to go for walks. My last dog, who sadly passed away in May, was never into outdoorsy stuff. So Sundays will include hikes to the beach, at least.

Tamara73 and Smash2277 – welcome! Glad to have you with us!!

I’ve managed to skip going to coffee shop the past 2 mornings. It’s such a strong part of my morning routine. I usually get an almond milk latte from Peet’s, but I know that it is not Whole30 compliant. So for now, black coffee!

Meals are going ok. My workweek meals are pretty repetitive and plain. Breakfast are eggs and fruit (need to add in vegetables, I know). Lunch is chicken apple sausage and peppers. And dinner is beef/pork hamburger patty, cucumbers, and plantains. The plantains have been more of my desert crutch. I think I will be relying on them to survive this first week. I need to cut down on the plantain portions though.

Weird observation, and not sure if it has anything to do with change of eating, but my eyes have been blurry lately. Noticed yesterday and today. If it continues for over a week, then I may get it checked out at eye doctors.

Hey everyone, I started with baby steps last week. I started more strict on Saturday. Today I started full on except for the guacamole tuna salad I made for lunch, which I didn't realize had sugar in it until after I made it. I've started with black coffee too, which was really hard for me. Not sure if it's from the program or not but I think today was the first day I didn't take a nap all summer...I'm a teacher so I usually take advantage of catching up on sleep over the summer. Looking forward to not having to do that next summer. I'm also struggling with eating enough at one meal to hold me to the next. I had been eating small meals every 3 hours before so I get full really quickly with the template portions. Do I just need to give my body time to adjust?

I'm also struggling with eating enough at one meal to hold me to the next. I had been eating small meals every 3 hours before so I get full really quickly with the template portions. Do I just need to give my body time to adjust?

For some, following the Whole30 best practice recommendations is an adjustment.

Start with eating your first meal of the day within 1 hour of waking. If you're having caffeinated coffee, have that after your meal 1, as caffeine can act as an appetite suppressant.

Work your way around the plate of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat until you feel pleasantly full, not overstuffed. If you can't finish what's on the plate, wrap it up and save it until your next meal, or until you are hungry again. The test for hunger is to ask yourself if you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli.

You'll get there as you experiment with the portion sizes that best satiate you for 4-5 hours.

I just wanted to post some NSV since starting 2 months ago.

I have taken a sugar substitute for at least 40 yrs in my drinks. Gone! If I have coffee it is black.

I go to the movies practically every week and have popcorn and a diet drink.  I have nothing now and I don't miss it.

I use to take an antacid a couple times a week. I haven't taken one in over 60 days.No more heartburn.

I use to have a coating on my tongue it is now a healthy pink.

Enjoy today.

Day 4

I've been finding all of yours posts super helpful, and finding a lot of support here and in the group that started on the 10th. Thanks for sharing, everyone! 

And I LOVE to hear that these cravings do ease up with time! For now, I have to accept that I can;t step foot in a coffee shop or bakery without wanting to ether scream or cry. 

I'm starting to get the portions right, and find ways to plan and cook that help keep food a fun and pleasant thing instead of a constant hassle, which is great! The energy is waxing and waning, and I am happy to report the hangover is better today than yesterday—yesterday and the day before were rough. Sinuses are still a little wonky, and now my ears seem to get plugged every time I go for a bike ride, but I'm hoping the improvements keep coming in that department. At least I am not totally clogged anymore! I would appreciate a day when I don't have to think about breathing or pain. I'm also having some trouble with loose stool and gas, which was not at all an issue for me before, and which I am hoping eases up soon. 

It does seem I have to spend more on food now, but I'm trying to be creative and tell myself that even the expensive grass fed meats are made up for by skipping a few meals out per week. 

I'm having a hell of a time finding dried fruits that don't contain sugar. It shouldn't be THIS hard? I'll try Whole Foods tomorrow, and hope that pans out better than Trader Joe's. 

I'm having a hell of a time finding dried fruits that don't contain sugar. It shouldn't be THIS hard? I'll try Whole Foods tomorrow, and hope that pans out better than Trader Joe's. 

May I suggest not having dried fruits at all?  They tend to be sugar bombs and we recommend them to be limited on a Whole30 anyway. If you're going to have fruit, make it fresh fruit.

Archived