Day 35 and Roibush vanilla tea - start again?!!

McCLintock

I am on Day 35 (I planned to extend my Whole 30 by 10 days) and on re-reading the Whole 30 book, just realised that my Roibush vanilla tea is probably not compliant with the program!! It has as ingredients roibush tea, vanilla aroma and vanilla bean. I have been drinking it for most days (sometimes twice a day) throughout the program. Has this ruined my Whole 30? I would be devastated if so! Organisatorially, I cannot fit in another whole 30 after this one. I was still having sugar cravings on days 25 - 30 and hadnt experienced the tiger blood feeling (although energy was constant). Could the tea have been the culprit? Please advise. Thanks. 

Even if you start the actual count again - you can't erase the benefit of what you have achieved!

Do you feel like you cheated yourself or do you feel ok about it?

I think it depends on why you're doing this and what you want to gain.

Hope you make peace with it whatever you decide.

Even if you start the actual count again - you can't erase the benefit of what you have achieved!

Do you feel like you cheated yourself or do you feel ok about it?

I think it depends on why you're doing this and what you want to gain.

Hope you make peace with it whatever you decide.

No dont feel like I cheated at all. But i put such inordinate amounts of time and energy into this and am devastated to discover something i ha through the whole program which might not be compliant. I am wondering firstly, whether the vanilla flavouring (translation of vanilla aroma, the ingrediants in german) is prohibited and secondly, what the potential downside of having it might be? The rule on vanilla extract (is that the same as vanilla flavouring) in the whole 30 book seems to rate it as a technical exclusion (for consistency). I am devastated either way.

Vanilla aroma the ingrediant but on a german packet of tea. I checked a dictionary and they say it means flavouring, so i am thinking it means vanilla extract (although the direct translation of vanilla extract is in fact Vanilleextrakt, so who knows for sure). Is there a distinction between vanilla flavouring and vanilla extract in english? If it is in fact vanilla extract, how bad is it in terms of results (eg inflammation, sugar dragon)?

Can you post a picture of the ingredients and the brand? Aroma does indeed mean flavour in German when used in this context. In English vanilla flavouring & vanilla extract are very different. Flavouring would tend to be artificial whereas extract is the bean/pod in alcohol to release the flavour.  

Here is a photo of the ingredients. Cant believe I overlooked this. Maybe because vanilla aroma sounds so harmless? Vanilleschoten are vanilla beans. If vanilla aroma is in fact an artificial flavouring, then I am guessing that it is worse than vanilla extract? How could this affect the whole 30 process - might this mean that my system never had a break from inflammation? In which case extending by a few days is not going to make much difference (should i cut my losses and start the reintroduction). I could extend by a few more days but must have the whole process (including reintroduction) over before the start of September. Ideally before that.

Thanks.

So I have now re-read the Whole 30 Rules, the common additives cheat sheet and the sneaky sugars sheet. And I dont find any reference to artificial flavourings, although natural flavourings are allowed (and these, according to my internet research, are also usually chemically produced). I would still absolutely avoid it in the future, but does that mean my intake of the tea to date may not have been fatal to the effectiveness of the program? 

I honestly don't think that this is an issue. Vanilla extract is only excluded for the sake of consistency, because of the alcohol. Nothing on your ingredients list is non compliant. And if Tom Denham thinks you're good, you're good.

According to the website of the manufacturer, messmer.de, all flavourings are either natural or naturally identical flavouring substances so you are fine.

One thing to be wary of this brand for a W30 generally though is that they say that most of their teas contain sugar. 

No dont feel like I cheated at all. But i put such inordinate amounts of time and energy into this and am devastated to discover something i ha through the whole program which might not be compliant. I am wondering firstly, whether the vanilla flavouring (translation of vanilla aroma, the ingrediants in german) is prohibited and secondly, what the potential downside of having it might be? The rule on vanilla extract (is that the same as vanilla flavouring) in the whole 30 book seems to rate it as a technical exclusion (for consistency). I am devastated either way.

I doubt there is alcohol in the tea (like with vanilla extract). 

Archived