mayo...not

sgigirl

I used the whisk attachment on my Kitchen Aid immersion blender... The main blade won't fit in a mason jar, and I thought using it in a regular bowl would paint the wall... It doesn't... I just used it fine, and it seems to have worked

A regular bowl probably won't work- you want something narrow where the immersion blender wand just fits, to keep all the ingredients together and the proper depth for the blender to do it's magic. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to find a jar that our blender fits into.  Used a mixing bowl last time.  It would be a great time saver if I could dump all the ingredients in and just blend.  Drizzling takes a long time...time I could better spend with my kids, sleeping, or just being awesome.

• Moderators

I'm going to find a jar that our blender fits into.  Used a mixing bowl last time.  It would be a great time saver if I could dump all the ingredients in and just blend.  Drizzling takes a long time...time I could better spend with my kids, sleeping, or just being awesome.

500ml wide mouth mason jar works perfectly!

A regular bowl probably won't work- you want something narrow where the immersion blender wand just fits, to keep all the ingredients together and the proper depth for the blender to do it's magic. 

Sorry, I meant a glasslock bowl with a flat bottom... Works great

No dried mustard?

I do a cup and a third of avocado oil, one egg, 2 tbsp acv, 1/2 tsp each of dried mustard and salt.  GGGZZZZZzzzzzz! mayo!

I use the amounts from Well Fed, just wanted to know if you need to make any adjustments for the dump & grind method.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I have a Breveille immersion blender and just tried the "dump and blend".  total Fail. Had everything at room temp. Put all ingredients except for lemon juice in. It mixed, But it is very thin and runny. Any tips?

What ingredients did you use? And why didn't you add the lemon juice?

If it's thin & runny it probably needed more oil. If it's 'broken' you can fix it by starting off with an egg yolk in another jar, and whilst using the immersion blender on the egg yolk pour the broken mayo in until it becomes thick - you might not need all the 'broken' stuff.

None of it needs to be at room temperature by the way...

Immersion blender--check

Olive Oil--check

Room temp egg--check

mustard--check

lemon juice--check

And yet and I've had two failures in my last four mayo attempts.

I made my husband stand there after the last failure while I tried again and read me the recipe from NomNomPaleo.   The only thing I think I did differently was to but the egg in first with the success and the egg last with the failures.  

Add me to the "dump and blend" method. After THREE FAILED TRIES, I USED LADYSHANNY's method of putting it all in a quart jar (even the egg right out of the fridge, not at room temp) used my stick blender and - total amazement! It works every time. My key was to use Bertolli light tasting olive oil instead of the brand I had been using. It's so thick and yummy I can eat a spoonful immediately and I've never ever been a fan of mayo.

I tried some fermented black garlic in homemade mayo and it was delicious. I dont know if black garlic is easily available outside of this area, but it makes mayo that is mysterious, faintly sweet - like molasses maybe? - and the color and texture of chocolate pudding. I googled to find the recipe - it was for an all garlic potluck.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about making mayo. I have not done it yet, and am considering getting an immersion blender. I do have a Blendtec and wonder if I am wasting my time?

The other question is that I placed an egg on the counter, to bring to room temp, yesterday. I still have not started! Is the egg still good, since it has been in the shell? Or should I get a fresh one ? 

Thanks!

I have a question about making mayo. I have not done it yet, and am considering getting an immersion blender. I do have a Blendtec and wonder if I am wasting my time?

The other question is that I placed an egg on the counter, to bring to room temp, yesterday. I still have not started! Is the egg still good, since it has been in the shell? Or should I get a fresh one ? 

Thanks!

Was your egg from a grocery store in the United States? Egg sold in the US have their wax coating washed off, making them vulnerable to contamination if left out. Eggs with the coating (like one you got from a chicken in your yard or straight from a farmer) still have a coating and can sit out for quite a while. Regardless, overnight might be fine even for a grocery store egg if it was cool in your kitchen. You decide. If it were me, I might crack it into a bowl and take a sniff  ;)

I have made mayo in a food processor, and my mom always made hollandaise in the blender, so I guess I don't think you need an immersion blender for this. Blendtec is pretty powerful, yes? Use the lowest/slowest setting, and dribble the oil in slow (is there a hole in the lid for this?). It should work.

ps. I've never bothered letting my stuff warm up to room temp and my mayo comes out fine.

• 3 weeks later...

My first attempt, with the Blendtec, was a fail.... I have no idea why. My second, I used a handheld mixer with the whisk beaters. I drizzled v.e.r.y. s.l.o.w.l.y! It came out better, but still seemed not as thick as the ones I saw in the youtube videos I watched. But it tastes ok. 

Archived