mayo...not

sgigirl

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do like kinda like Sugarcube --- 1 1/4 cup oil -- usually a blend of avocado oil and extra light olive oil, 1 whole egg and 1 yolk,  1 T apple cider vinegar and 1 T lemon juice, salt and mustard and garlic powder. Put it in a glass jar that my hand mixer will fit in, turn it on and blip! Mayo!! I have a Nathans sauerkraut jar and I can do a double batch of mayo in that and it works like a champ!

No dried mustard?

I do a cup and a third of avocado oil, one egg, 2 tbsp acv, 1/2 tsp each of dried mustard and salt.  GGGZZZZZzzzzzz! mayo!

I tried your recipe with olive oil instead and it's liquid... Used an immersion wisk... Any ideas???

I have yet to make mayo...my concern is salmonella.  the recipe calls for an egg at room temperature.   Isn't anyone concerned about salmonella with using a raw egg????

Also, on another note,  Mitch55, I am looking at your post directly above.  There is a grey box with the text of the post you responded to.  How did you do that?  Inquiring minds want to know. :)  Thanks.

• Moderators

I tried your recipe with olive oil instead and it's liquid... Used an immersion wisk... Any ideas???

Oh no! What's an immersion whisk? I just use an $11 immersion blender a friend bought me off on one of those scammy Avon things...

Can you use that batch for dressing? I just made an AMAZING Thousand Island dressing that would work great with that!

By immersion wisk I assume you mean immersion blender? Mine sometimes comes out a bit liquidy too so what I've done is put an egg yolk in a separate mason jar & whilst using the immersion blender (or stick blender as we call it in these parts!) slowly drizzle your 'broken' mayo into the yolk - it should all blend together & thicken up nicely, although IME you made not need to add ALL of the broken mayo back in otherwise it'll go a bit runny again.

Olive oil is your best choice (taste wise) for mayo - try light tasting olive oil, macadamia oil, avocado oil or walnut oil - or even some coconut oil blended half & half with any of the afore-mentioned...

Good luck!

I have yet to make mayo...my concern is salmonella.  the recipe calls for an egg at room temperature.   Isn't anyone concerned about salmonella with using a raw egg????

nope, we are really not concerned. Salmonella is a problem with commercially produced eggs because of the appalling conditions (too tight quarters, not clean, sick birds). It isn't much of a problem with pastured eggs, generally, and the acid included with the egg is somewhat of a safeguard. So I would prioritize using fresh eggs that were produced responsibly, especially for mayo.

If you are worried or immune compromised you can pasteurize the egg before you use it in the mayo. http://bakingbites.com/2011/03/how-to-pasteurize-eggs-at-home/

• Administrators

I'll be honest, I use eggs from Costco. And I've been making mayo once a week for 2 years, never an issue. And before that I was known to eat raw cookie dough or lick brownie batter which contained raw eggs. As MissMary said though, if you are worried there are things you can do to mitigate the risk.

Mitch, I think you put the whisk attachment on your immersion blender? Just use the main immersion wand. You need the velocity of the blade to get the mayo to emulsify.

nope, we are really not concerned. Salmonella is a problem with commercially produced eggs because of the appalling conditions (too tight quarters, not clean, sick birds). It isn't much of a problem with pastured eggs, generally, and the acid included with the egg is somewhat of a safeguard. So I would prioritize using fresh eggs that were produced responsibly, especially for mayo.

If you are worried or immune compromised you can pasteurize the egg before you use it in the mayo. http://bakingbites.com/2011/03/how-to-pasteurize-eggs-at-home/

I'll be honest, I use eggs from Costco. And I've been making mayo once a week for 2 years, never an issue. And before that I was known to eat raw cookie dough or lick brownie batter which contained raw eggs. As MissMary said though, if you are worried there are things you can do to mitigate the risk.

Mitch, I think you put the whisk attachment on your immersion blender? Just use the main immersion wand. You need the velocity of the blade to get the mayo to emulsify.

Sorry about this...my response up above was meant to be here....I am just getting the knack of the "Quote" and "Multiquote" functions.  Now I know what to do in the future...great tool. :)

I used the whisk attachment on my Kitchen Aid immersion blender... The main blade won't fit in a mason jar, and I thought using it in a regular bowl would paint the wall... It doesn't... I just used it fine, and it seems to have worked

I use aldi eggs.

The trick is to find the perfect mayo jar...mine is an empty bonne maman fruit compote jar, the larger ones with the green gingham lid, as it fits my immersion blender in at the top yet is small enough to hold a cup of Mayo without being only a quarter full ;)

Archived