Question about Ghee

acjohnston09

HI,

I'm new, currently on day 9... Yesterday, I clarified a pound of butter, and strained it twice through a fine metal sieve, plus two sheets of cheesecloth. After sitting on the counter for a while some white solids had settled to the bottom just like my first batch, so I assumed this is just a normal settling process and there is no way to get ALL of the milk solids out and just to scoop from the top to keep it as dairy free as possible. But then this morning there were little white granules floating on the top of the yellow liquified ghee...and I was very puzzled as to what they were. I Immediately transferred the jar from my counter to my refrigerator assuming that it simply was too warm in my kitchen to leave at room temp, and must have been caused by the heat(I live in Singapore). 

Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm going to confess to being confused on this one as well. I have been making ghee or clarified butter for close to a year now, and I feel like I could leave it sitting on a burner on low for hours, and it will still keep forming a foam on top after I skim it. Some of the stuff settles on the bottom, but that foam just keeps appearing on top. Eventually, I cut my losses and strain it well, and it usually looks pretty clear. But I am never confident that I got all the milk proteins out. 

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

I'm new, currently on day 9... Yesterday, I clarified a pound of butter, and strained it twice through a fine metal sieve, plus two sheets of cheesecloth. After sitting on the counter for a while some white solids had settled to the bottom just like my first batch, so I assumed this is just a normal settling process and there is no way to get ALL of the milk solids out and just to scoop from the top to keep it as dairy free as possible. But then this morning there were little white granules floating on the top of the yellow liquified ghee...and I was very puzzled as to what they were. I Immediately transferred the jar from my counter to my refrigerator assuming that it simply was too warm in my kitchen to leave at room temp, and must have been caused by the heat(I live in Singapore). 

Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Did you use just two layers of cheesecloth? I have a very fine butter cheesecloth I use when clarifying. And even fold it over until it's about as thick as a cloth diaper. That pad goes into a fine sieve placed over a pint jar. I also wet the pad first and then pour the oil over it. From one pound of butter, I skim off about a good half cup of foam and the oil fills about 2/3 of the pint jar. I pour the oil into a squeeze bottle and leave it on my counter. There is no residue in the bottom of the jar. If there is, do not leave it out because those are milk solids and will spoil. Hope this helps.

Archived