WholeMama623's POST Whole100 Daily Ramblings on Reintroduction

WholeMama623

Hello everyone!

I just finished my first Whole100 on August 8th. I started with a Whole30, and decided about halfway through to extend it to 100 days to really break away from the Sugar Dragon, and get my eating under control. I am SLOW to lose weight, and survived my Whole100 by taking many side by side shots of my progress which I will post below!

I lost 7 lbs, and 2" from my waist in 100 Days. I am thrilled with this. I also lost over a pants size which I have not been able to do on my own for a very long time. I've been in the same size pants for ages, and to be moving down feels so awesome!

If you read my Whole100 log (in my signature) towards the end, I really started to panic about the end of my Whole100. I am admittedly scared of how it will go from here, but can only take it one day at a time.

Here are my result pictures:

post-68049-0-52481300-1439226410_thumb.j

post-68049-0-37477000-1439226418_thumb.j

post-68049-0-47743700-1439226424_thumb.j

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PostW100 Day 2:

Yesterday (which was Post Day 1) I was originally not feeling like introducing anything at all, but my entire Whole100 I pined after iced coffee with cream and sugar. Naturally, the baby was asleep in the car yesterday and husband asks if he wants him to swing by Starbucks. I thought about it and thought "I have to do it eventually" so I told him okay.

I got iced cold brew with cream ONLY. No SUGAR in my coffee. I wanted to see how I did without the sugar, because I knew that I didn't need it, and I'm afraid to add too many things at once right now. I was worried that cream might have been too much of a jump right out of the gate because it's pretty heavy, but how much can they put in coffee, right?

First sip --- Whew! Still got that black coffee bite. I was a little upset. I thought "why did I do this? I could have kept going!? it doesn't taste any different!" but I kept sipping, and there was a dense creaminess that I could taste the more I drank. It took me over an hour to drink a medium cup of iced coffee. Usually when they are laced with sugar, I can down them in about 2 minutes, which is probably sign that it's not healthy! So that's that. The rest of the day was compliant (except for bacon at breakfast). I didn't want to go too far off course like I did after my whole30 in 2013 (i.e. ate EVERYTHING in one day).

Later in the day, I did get a little nauseous feeling for about an hour, but I was also really hungry, so I'm not sure if it was the diary or not. It went away after I ate, and I never had any other ill effects that I could sense. For now, that's all I plan on for dairy, until maybe I have coffee again next weekend. I plan on staying Paleo for the most part, and don't want to go buck wild with ANYTHING right now. I don't want to feel forced to eat too much diary, ect.

Today, I've been compliant except for a "Real Stick" which is probably paleo, but not Whole30 (ack, I don't need to worry about these rules anymore! So hard after 100 days!) Plans for dinner will be compliant as well!

Post W100 Day 3:

Last night's dinner was compliant and then I snacked on apple slices! I thought about stopping on the way to work this morning and picking up a Chameleon Cold Brew that was either Mocha Flavored, or Vanilla. They have very minimal ingredients, but I thought about the sugar, and just kept on driving to work. I'm now sipping on a cup of crappy black "work" coffee and it's alright.

I have about 39 days until my vacation to Disney World! I am not worried so much anymore about eating there. I just really have to try to do the very best that I can. I have started my "stock pile" of snacks for the car since over the whole trip we will be in the car for FOUR DAYS (driving from Maryland). We got some epic bites, and some awesome gluten free, dairy free, soy free sweet snacks from Marshall's. They usually have nuts too that don't have any oils or anything on them, so I will have to check back. I feel good knowing i'll have healthy stuff to eat on the way there!

For lunch today I have pan fried boneless chicken cutlets with paleo mayo, and carrots. I also have a peach if it ever ripens enough!  (Breakfast today was two of the applegate farms uncured stadium dogs) So today will be all compliant.

Oh yeah... So I borrowed my grandfather's scale to do my final measurements a few days ago and still have it. I hopped on this morning, and had lost another .05! I am SO CLOSE to breaking the 150's which I have not seen since September of 2013. My goal was to be 157 by vacation and I'm 160.2 right now. I'm pretty sure I can do it!

You are doing great with reintros so far! Isn't it weird how you think "I can't have that! Oh, wait, I can."?

I have cut waaaaaaaaay back on Starbuck's Iced Lattes. I started drinking Americanos with coconut milk during the Whole30, and decided I liked them just about as well (although I do have them with milk now). But it's nice to have the other stuff for a rare treat.

You are doing great with reintros so far! Isn't it weird how you think "I can't have that! Oh, wait, I can."?

I have cut waaaaaaaaay back on Starbuck's Iced Lattes. I started drinking Americanos with coconut milk during the Whole30, and decided I liked them just about as well (although I do have them with milk now). But it's nice to have the other stuff for a rare treat.

It's very weird!!!!

Post W100 Day 4:

Yesterday was all whole30 compliant eating. I have not had anything off plan since Sunday when I had my iced coffee with cream. I did have some bacon, and a real stick, but that's all I've had that didn't fall under Whole30 category. I know it doesn't seem like this but this is a HUGE victory for me to still be very conscientious of how I'm eating. I'm REALLY thinking about whether something is worth it or not before it eat, and most times, it's not so I avoid it.

This morning, I really wanted to try a Chameleon Cold Brew. It's been 2 whole days since anything off plan, so I stopped this morning and go the Mocha one. Here are the ingredients: Filtered water, Fair Trade Organic Coffee, Organic Cane Sugar, and Natural Chocolate Flavor. It only has 9 grams of sugar, which is honestly way less than I expected to see when I looked at the bottle. In my head, I told myself if it had more than 15 grams of sugar, I wasn't going to buy it. Sugar is a slippery slope for me. I opened it in the car and smelled it. It smelled like delicious hot cocoa. I took the tiniest sip. It was so good it made me gasp. I put the lid back on and put it back in the cup holder. I didn't want to get carried away and chug the whole thing and feel like I used to with iced coffees. It's been over an hour and I still have half of it. Admittedly, the more I drink it, the more sickly sweet it tastes. Isn't it funny how only 9 grams of sugar seems so sweet I can barely drink it??

It's probably a major coincidence, but within a minute of the first sip, I got a major sneeze attack. Happened again after the next sip!!! So, I'm going to keep an eye on that, and how I feel after this. I can already tell you that I won't make a habit out of these. I don't like the aftertaste the sugar is leaving in my mouth. Blech.

Back to "compliancy" for now. The rest of the day will be Whole30 style and so will tomorrow and most likely Friday. I want to keep it very low key for awhile. I'm practically obsessed with NOT adding too much at once. This is when I get carried away.

For now, I think I'm doing really well.

**UPDATE**

The coffee had to be put in the fridge at the halfway point. It was too sweet and I wasn't enjoying it. I'm not even sure I'll finish it, but it was getting too warm which I thought may have been the issue.

I think it's a good thing maybe, that it wasn't what I thought it would be.

**UPDATE**

The coffee had to be put in the fridge at the halfway point. It was too sweet and I wasn't enjoying it. I'm not even sure I'll finish it, but it was getting too warm which I thought may have been the issue.

I think it's a good thing maybe, that it wasn't what I thought it would be.

think it's a good thing that you stopped when you weren't enjoying it any more! You could easily have drunk the whole thing quickly and thought you enjoyed it immensely, because you still had that first sip joy!

think it's a good thing that you stopped when you weren't enjoying it any more! You could easily have drunk the whole thing quickly and thought you enjoyed it immensely, because you still had that first sip joy!

I know!! Big move on my part! Proud of myself. That's why I drank it slowly yesterday.. to give myself a chance to see how I really liked it. It's still in the fridge here at work and I haven't touched it.

Post W100 Day 5:

So after I ditched the coffee yesterday, the rest of my day was whole30. Pretty proud of myself!

This morning, I found ONE K-Cup in the kitchen and decided to give a regular cup of coffee a try. I put in a little half and half since I haven't had dairy since Sunday. So far, no problems. I think if I only had dairy occasionally, it might not be giving me too much of an issue. I have gotten one little break out on my face. I wonder it was from the cream on Sunday? Guess i'll see if another one pops up after this half/half.

So it's been a pretty boring reintro so far. I'm really glad I'm taking it slow and not rushing to add everything back.

Post W100 Day 6:

Other than the half & half in my coffee, yesterday was Whole30. I did feel kind of crappy after the coffee yesterday, and got a slight bit nauseous again! I wonder if tha (dairy)t is actually causing it? In either case, I'm done with dairy for awhile. My face did get a breakout, and I'm almost betting on it being the cream in my coffee on Sunday. I used to break out badly if I ate too much cheese, so.. yeah.

Today, I did not get to eat breakfast at home. My DD is in quite a clingy phase, and I didn't get to make anything. I stopped at the store and got a compliant larabar, and some Steaz iced green tea Super Fruit. It's got 18mg of sugar, which I'm not too thrilled about. I was going to get one of those Bob Marley iced coffees but it had 39 grams of sugar, and milk in it, so I put it back and went with the better choice. I think I should just stick with black coffee for awhile.

So.. dairy 2x and "added" sugar 2x (once in the chameleon cold brew, and today's tea) but that's it. I am a little worried about the weekend as it'll be my first full weekend off of my Whole100, and we are going to be child free which normally means Hubby and I are running all kinds of errands and we normally ate out at some point or another. I'm in this weird limbo, where I feel like I "can" be free from all the whole30 rules, but I still feel conflicted and don't want to eat anything different. I'm so afraid that if I add too much, the weight, bloat, and un-comfortableness will come back. It's kind of awkward to be in this phase, but probably for the best.

So today:

1 Coconut cream pie larabar

Iced green tea (18g of sugar if I drink the whole thing)

Lunch:

3 eggs scrambled in olive oil

canned carrots with ghee

whole avocado

Dinner?

Not planned yet.

Post W100 Day 6:

So.. dairy 2x and "added" sugar 2x (once in the chameleon cold brew, and today's tea) but that's it. I am a little worried about the weekend as it'll be my first full weekend off of my Whole100, and we are going to be child free which normally means Hubby and I are running all kinds of errands and we normally ate out at some point or another. I'm in this weird limbo, where I feel like I "can" be free from all the whole30 rules, but I still feel conflicted and don't want to eat anything different. I'm so afraid that if I add too much, the weight, bloat, and un-comfortableness will come back. It's kind of awkward to be in this phase, but probably for the best

I've been thinking about going to a restaurant and what choices I would make.  I think the best way for me will be to order the healthiest items I can find and then not eat the whole portion just because they load up the plate.  (We need more French restaurants which serve more appropriate portions.)  I love what you wrote about putting the coffee down when it lost its' appeal!  That's a huge victory!  My mom always said, "eat up, we don't want to waste it."  But putting something into my body that will make me feel like crap is pretty wasteful.  There was a recent W30 article about this... love that you are putting it into action!  Keep up the good work girl!  

I've been thinking about going to a restaurant and what choices I would make.  I think the best way for me will be to order the healthiest items I can find and then not eat the whole portion just because they load up the plate.  (We need more French restaurants which serve more appropriate portions.)  I love what you wrote about putting the coffee down when it lost its' appeal!  That's a huge victory!  My mom always said, "eat up, we don't want to waste it."  But putting something into my body that will make me feel like crap is pretty wasteful.  There was a recent W30 article about this... love that you are putting it into action!  Keep up the good work girl!  

Thanks Donna! I was glad I was able to put it down and not force myself to drink it.

Post W100 Day 9:

Good morning!

I honestly didn't do BAD this weekend, but I also felt like I was losing my firm grip too (which is kind of ridiculous when you see that I didn't do THAT bad) which scares me. So this week, I'm back to whole30 style eating and not letting myself get caught up in it.

Friday night we went to the store and nothing bad was had.

Saturday I did have two of the tiny packs of Justin's Vanilla Almond Butter. This is too triggery for me.  It's SO GOOD, but I can only buy them in the tiny 1 serving size pouches because I'd eat the whole jar! We then went to a Co-Op and got Banana Buzz Smoothies (coffee, bananas, cocoa & almond milk).  I had the option for regular milk, flax seed milk, or almond milk. I knew that dairy seemingly made me feel bad, so I got the almond milk which I used to drink all the time. It didn't occur to me until later, that almond milk normally has Carrageenan in it. I started to feel pretty nasty later in the day, and then I regretted my choice.

I found a bag of "Pumpkin Spice" PaleoKrunch Grainless granola, and wanted to give it a try to see if it was something I'd like to take in my stockpile on vacation. It only had 6 grams of sugar, but I felt intensely bad about having it, even though it WAS paleo, and DELICIOUS. I think it was just the combined sugar amounts I'd already had that day that made me feel bad.

Saturday night we went to a cookout. There wasn't a ton of food, so I munched on cherry tomatoes. I had a burger (scraped the cheese off. They didn't have ANY without cheese) with lettuce, tomato, and mustard. That was pretty good. I wanted another burger, but the plate of them was GONE. They did have hotdogs, so I ate a plain one and then felt bad about that too, because they were probably loaded with all kinds of crap. Of course AFTER I ate the hotdog, I found a plate with 2 burgers left. Sigh.

Sunday was totally compliant.

I can tell something has changed because for the first time in 100 days, I could NOT get my wedding rings off on Sunday morning. OUCH. I know a LOT of it was that I did not have nearly enough water on Friday and Saturday. I'm working very hard to fix that today.

Speaking of Carrageenan, Hubby picked up my VERY FAVORITE Pumpkin Spice coffee creamer, and it's loaded with chemicals and junk. I didn't even look at the bottle after that. :(

I hate to hear you say you felt "bad" after eating things (assuming you mean guilty?). Try to think of it add an experiment and be dispassionate about it: did this make me feel yuck? Then it's on the no pile. Do I have a negative psychological reaction to this? Then it's on the no pile. Was this pretty great and I feel OK? Then it's on the sometimes pile with the knowledge it's not that healthy for me.

Feeling guilty will just drag you down.

I hate to hear you say you felt "bad" after eating things (assuming you mean guilty?). Try to think of it add an experiment and be dispassionate about it: did this make me feel yuck? Then it's on the no pile. Do I have a negative psychological reaction to this? Then it's on the no pile. Was this pretty great and I feel OK? Then it's on the sometimes pile with the knowledge it's not that healthy for me.

What a great to look at it !!   what wonderful advice !   Don't feel guilty - you just learned more about your body - and what it doesn't like !

I can certainly relate on a couple of things. The Justin's Almond Butter is just soooooo good. It's too hard for me to keep around. My brilliant solution is that I keep a jar at my Mom's house so I only have it over there.  :P

And I too was bummed when I found out that Starbucks' soy milk has cane sugar and carageenan in it. It used to be my favorite. Now it's very occasional. Don't even ask what's in their "coconut milk." Why even offer coconut milk for people who are concerned about what they're consuming if you're going to put crap in it? (I guess it is just to make people feel like they're making a healthy choice without actually making a healthy choice).

Good luck with the reintro. I agree that you're supposed to be trying different things and seeing what you're reaction is. Keep hydrating!  :D

You're exactly right. I think I'm just still in this mindset that anything that is NOT Whole30 compliant is BAD. I lost 7 lbs which is more than I've been able to lose in awhile. So I guess I'm afraid I'm going to start adding the WRONG things back, and it's going to mess with my weight. I'm pretty much paranoid to add anything back. It's quite ridiculous. I did feel guilty about all the sugar I'd had that day, even though most of it was in a banana, and apple sauce. It wasn't like I was eating snickers bars.

Thank you for this!  :)

Post W100 Day 10.

Thank so much for all the kind words yesterday! You ladies are right. I should not feel the way I do about reintroducing things. I think I worry because once I start adding too much, I cross the line and head right back to processed SAD style foods. I have to keep constant vigilance on my diet, otherwise I could very easily fall back on my old ways. This morning I kept thinking, "man, it'd be nice to just have a bowl of cereal, or a gluten free breakfast burrito" because I get SO TIRED of cooking my meals every single day while trying to keep my toddler from climbing on the kitchen table, or spilling applesauce all over the carpet. I know that sounds lazy, but before this, I was very much a convenience eater. So I guess eating some stuff makes me feel like I'm toeing the line back to my old ways. In some ways, I feel like I'm not much better off mentally after my whole100. I'm still scared to eat things because I'm afraid I'll revert. I DO need to work on this, as I still have an unhealthy relationship with food.

This morning I added a little whole milk to my coffee again. It's really good, and I'll see if mysterious nausea comes back like I've had the last two times.

My vacation is in 30 DAYS! We need to buy more snacks for the car. Right now we only have 3 things, and that's not going to last us long AT ALL. We plan on going out this weekend and buying more items for the stock pile.

Lunch: we are so low on food... 3 eggs fried in ghee, a sweet potato with ghee, and brussel sprouts with ghee!

Post W100 Day 11:

Had a tiny amount of peanut butter last night. The ingredients were : Roasted Peanuts. That's it.  It only had one gram of sugar. The first bite was like heaven so I had a few more with my banana. I felt really bloated for a bit after that, and then it went away. No idea if it was related or not. I DID eat a big dinner last night (carrots, peas, fish with ghee)

I decided since I have 30 days until vacation, my goal is to be active for 30 minutes a day for the next 30 days. Last night I did a Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVD. I really like doing these and they really get me sweating! It's nice to be able to do them in your own home.

This morning I stopped  at Sheetz because I didn't have breakfast. I got a "Pure Organic" Coconut Cashew bar. It was pretty good. I'd say it was paleo. I didn't see any odd ingredients in it. I was hoping to find a larabar, but they didn't have any. I DID have a Dark chocolate & sea salt bar in my hand, but once I saw the Soy Lecithin I put it back. I AM learning to stay away from the bad stuff, and that is HUGE for me. Plus, I'm kind of afraid to have chocolate in any capacity! LOL

You're doing really, really well! I'm in the same boat, feeling tired of cooking everything with kids underfoot. I used to just grab whatever, and I'm mourning the loss of that, I think.

And in terms of chocolate, I feel like if we're going to eat chocolate, it should be some amazing dessert, not a chocolate-flavored "Paleo" bar or snack. But that's just me.

Archived