WholeMama623's POST Whole100 Daily Ramblings on Reintroduction

WholeMama623

There's a comment on another forum (I can't find it right now, but Noelle, you commented on it) talking about off-track eating, and SpinSpin made the comment that she doesn't do moderation - it's all in. There's no small scoop of ice cream once a week and then back on track for her. And I'm 100% the same. Cravings hit me full in the face the minute I eat some ice cream or a small chocolate bar or a slice of bread, and I'll find myself eating a 500ml tub of ice cream in one sitting each week. No joke. I can do none (and mourn it a bit occasionally) or I can accept that I have no control and abandon myself to hedonism.

I'm not saying I can never eat ice cream again, I'm saying that I have to eat it knowing I'm going to spend the next 3 days struggling, so it better be worth it, and I better not do it as an emotional reaction as I won't have the strength to move on.  

I don't know that I'm saying anything terribly uplifting here!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with both of you ladies! I saw a someone I follow on Instagram say "There are two types of people: Moderators,and Abstainers"  I am definitely an Abstainer. I do so much better just staying the hell away from stuff. The minute I eat something sugary, or just bad in general, usually, all bets are off and I go into a downward spiral of eating. I think that's why I'm so overly cautious with everything I eat now. I have to be REALLY careful.

I told my husband last night that I might be able to have one MEAL a month that I don't "think" about and just eat. I feel like I'm punishing him because I can't have a lot of this stuff. It's ridiculous, but I do feel like he can't go a lot of places because I can't eat anything there.

I feel like if I stick to Paleo stuff, and stuff with better ingredients, I don't feel as  "guilty" about it as I would if I went out and ate a snickers bar.

PostW100 Day 12:

I didn't want to do it, but last night I had some white rice. I wanted SO BADLY to avoid grains as much as I can because I'm pretty sure they puff me up badly! However, we didn't get paid until today and literally are down to nearly nothing in our house (no processed stuff) and it was all we had!!  I put ghee in it and some seasoning, and enjoyed it. I don't plan on doing it again any time soon because tonight we are going to the store to stock back up again. As far as I can tell, I see/feel no negative affects from it.

You know you've done a Whole100 when you feel guilty eating rice. ^_^ 

Lunch is super boring eggs with carrots, and sweet peas. I've been living off it all week. I'm so ready for new foods.

Weird, I had a few bites of white rice with dinner tonight myself. I don't think I've had any since the Whole30 except as part of sushi a couple of times. I had some cheap Chinese takeout tonight (steamed! no sauce!), and took a few bites out of the rice container. That is good information to have that you didn't have any bad effects from it as a non-gluten grain. Hopefully you will still feel fine tomorrow.

Aren't grocery trips so exciting eating this way? Because it's not just that you don't have anything at home, but you can't exactly run out to a fast food joint for natural beef and a sweet potato, and there's not "back up" food like canned soup or dried pasta or frozen stuff around.

Rice is pretty benign. It doesn't have a lot going for it, nutritionally speaking, but don't waste any time feeling guilty over it!

Aren't grocery trips so exciting eating this way? Because it's not just that you don't have anything at home, but you can't exactly run out to a fast food joint for natural beef and a sweet potato, and there's not "back up" food like canned soup or dried pasta or frozen stuff around.

Grocery days are my favorite! I've taken to freezing a couple portions of soup/stew whenever I make that, so we're never totally OUT-out of food. Of course, the trouble with freezing things is that I forget what I have in the freezer...

hi there I was in the same boat this week - money VERY tight and no food !  so had to do some Freezer diving - found a pork roast, some char siu pork from Well Fed cookbook  and some compliant shephards pie !  whoot whoot.  made it til I could get to the store.  So I feel your pain. (no more ketchup sammies   LOL )

PostW100 Day 16:

Well. I definitely feel like this past week was out of control for me. I had dairy almost every single day. We had sour cream twice this weekend. I also got a Gluten/Soy/Dairy free Thin Mint cookie at our organic market. I had eyed it up the last time we went and passed it up. It was pretty small, but WOW, it was good. I had GF flour, and a lot of ingredients, but it was free of refined sugar. I can say that it didn't seem to wake up the sugar dragon as I didn't crave anything else, but I also cannot make a habit out of it.

I've been suffering for about week with pretty bad headaches. I have no idea what's causing them. I do not know if dairy alone would be a culprit for this, but I'm getting sick of them. They have pretty much been constant.

I'm going back to strict paleo for a few days to straighten myself out. My Birthday is Wednesday and I'm going out for a burger. I haven't decided yet if I want to get a GF bun or not. Right now, I'm thinking about passing on it and just getting the burger, topped with a fried egg, and bacon and fries. I might even bring my own mayo with me :)

SO, I'm feeling pretty down on myself right now. I took dairy and completely ran with it, I've been gassy, and going to the bathroom more than I normally do, so I need to step back from it. I'm not even drinking my coffee this morning. I'm just having some tea.

I'm also not sure that i'll check in EVERY day anymore. I feel I'm mostly posting about nothing, but I will be back when I have posts about my reintroduction.

I'm already considering starting at least a Whole60 when I get back from vacation. I think small breaks in between are okay, but that I mostly need to live strictly.

I'm sorry you're struggling! For what it's worth, dairy does all kinds of weird things to me (because it's such a hormonal food, maybe?): digestive issues, congestion, skin troubles, but when I have it regularly, it also seems to make me really moody and depressed.

Your birthday burger sounds amazing. I'd choose bacon and egg instead of a bun (gluten-free or otherwise) any day! Yum!

As for living strictly most of the time, I hear you. It's almost more freeing, in an odd way. I like not feeling like I have to choose all the time!

Don't beat yourself up, Britt. You didn't rob a bank; you just ate some dairy! Did you have a variety of dairy items or was it just milk in your coffee? It does seem like you got some information that you feel better without dairy.

I wonder if you would be happier just following the standard reintroduction? It's much more cut and dried. You try the reintroduction food such as dairy several times a day for a single day, then go back to two days of straight Whole30. Like Noelle says, it's easier because it's very clear when you're reintroducing and when you're not.

Hang in there! You got this!

I'm sorry you're struggling! For what it's worth, dairy does all kinds of weird things to me (because it's such a hormonal food, maybe?): digestive issues, congestion, skin troubles, but when I have it regularly, it also seems to make me really moody and depressed.

Your birthday burger sounds amazing. I'd choose bacon and egg instead of a bun (gluten-free or otherwise) any day! Yum!

As for living strictly most of the time, I hear you. It's almost more freeing, in an odd way. I like not feeling like I have to choose all the time!

it IS more freeing in a way! Most people scoff at me when I say that, but it's true! I don't have to bargain with myself, and then feel bad for making a crappy decision! and you are right. I think I'll get a bunless, cheeseless, and mayo-less burger! Then I won't have to feel bad about it! :)

Don't beat yourself up, Britt. You didn't rob a bank; you just ate some dairy! Did you have a variety of dairy items or was it just milk in your coffee? It does seem like you got some information that you feel better without dairy.

I wonder if you would be happier just following the standard reintroduction? It's much more cut and dried. You try the reintroduction food such as dairy several times a day for a single day, then go back to two days of straight Whole30. Like Noelle says, it's easier because it's very clear when you're reintroducing and when you're not.

Hang in there! You got this!

Julie,

I kind of hate forcing myself to eat something 3x a day! The dairy that I had (Even though I'm complaining) was a very small amount each day. A touch of whole milk to my coffee a couple times, and two dollops of sour cream. That's it. I feel the regular introduction is forcing you to eat something several items a day. Before I went "off track" I only planned on dairy once or twice here and there, I just got overzealous with it because I loved it in my coffee. So, I don't like that plan either.

For now, I'm done with reintro's. Before I get too far off track, I'm going back to paleo!

I am going to experiment with making homemade almond milk! I am pretty sure my daughter has a dairy intolerance/allergy, and I'm going to try something with no chemicals for her. If I like it, I may even have that in my coffee and then I won't NEED any whole milk!

I'm pretty excited to try this out!

Post W100 Day 17:

I've been having some pretty horrible stomach issues. I don't know what it is, but ugh!! The last dairy I had was on Sunday, so I'm wondering if it's lingering effects? Either way, I'm over it. I think this was my sign that diary is probably not good for me. I have no idea what else it could be as the only thing I've really added was a small amount of dairy.

We made chicken in the crockpot on Sunday with a bunch of salsa, and taco seasoning. We shredded it and put it over lettuce, crushed plantain chips, and guacamole (and sour cream). It was pretty good! Today for lunch, I'm having left over chicken over a sweet potato with ghee and carrots.

Tomorrow is my birthday.. looking forward to dinner with my grandfather.

Honorable mention: I still have had ZERO refined sugars. 17 days out, and that's one thing I can feel good about! Only fruit, nut butters, and one cookie that had applesauce as a sweetener.  I know this is the line in the sand for me. I do not think introducing sugar is a good idea.

I like what you wrote about moderating vs. abstaining.  I definitely need to abstain too!  I figure if it's not in the house, I'm in good shape.  If we want to go out to dinner and share something sweet, we'll do it... some day.  ha ha.  Happy birthday Britt!!!!

Been suffering these headaches daily, for nearly two weeks. They are weird and not like a normal headache. They are in the back of my head, and down into my neck. I get a weird pain in my neck if I move it wrong, and sometimes a popping noise in the back of my neck. With vacation coming up, I really wish this would let up!!

Whole Mama -- Hi, I just read through your reintros and wanted to say hello.  I did my first (and only Whole 30) last year and I've been posting in the Post-Whole 30 log ever since.  I think it takes some time to figure out what your body likes and what it does not.  Mine hates dairy and gluten and does fine with rice and corn.  Alcohol and some sugar are my "treats" but sugar starts me down a bad path so I have to be super careful.  Even now I'm still learning what works and what does and sometimes I'll have something I thought was fine and I'll feel terrible.  It's a process but we're all here to help you on your journey!

Whole Mama -- Hi, I just read through your reintros and wanted to say hello.  I did my first (and only Whole 30) last year and I've been posting in the Post-Whole 30 log ever since.  I think it takes some time to figure out what your body likes and what it does not.  Mine hates dairy and gluten and does fine with rice and corn.  Alcohol and some sugar are my "treats" but sugar starts me down a bad path so I have to be super careful.  Even now I'm still learning what works and what does and sometimes I'll have something I thought was fine and I'll feel terrible.  It's a process but we're all here to help you on your journey!

Thank you!! I think my body can handle a VERY small amount of diary (like one item per week) but after that, it starts to get upset.

Good morning!

Things have been pretty good. I'd say I've been about 98% paleo in the past week. I did go out for ANOTHER birthday lunch and had a burger with a gluten free bun (no mayo) and it was awesome. I've still been drinking my coffee black, and avoiding grains. I still have not had any beans. I really can probably go forever without beans. I don't even like them that much.

Disney Vacation is 19 days away. I'm starting to get more anxiety again about what I'm going to eat, and not getting too far off track, but I can only think about it right now. I have no idea what to expect when I get there. I will say that I am looking forward to a Turkey leg!

Oddly enough, once I started up on my Iron again, the headaches have really died off. I run out of my iron sometimes and it's a few weeks before I can afford them again (can only take ONE kind) and I notice that each time I stop taking for a few weeks the headaches come back full force.

I've still have no refined sugars. No candy, or anything. I have to stay away. I KNOW I can't have it.

I am getting really bored with food. I need to get some more inspiration, because I'm so so over it.

I should probably stop saying "I haven't had this! I could live without ever eating it!" because when I do, I seem to end up having it that night (last time it was rice). Last night I had about a cup of black beans. I don't know what happened when I went to the store the other day, but we have NO vegetables.  We are so low on food and are in a very bad spot with money since my husband just started a new job and they are mailing his last check instead of direct depositing it. We have no idea when we are getting the check, and with the holiday weekend, we might not have money until Tuesday of next week. I've literally had canned carrots for the past week, and last night could not even think about it, and I found the beans.

Overall, not sure anything bad came from them, but I don't need to eat them again.

Starting to obsess a little about my weight, and what it may be doing since I've eaten a few things non paleo. I don't have a scale, so I have no idea. For the most part my pants are still fitting, but they seem a tad tighter than they did. Also, my face looks TERRIBLE. 3 big red break outs. I'm SURE this is from the diary I've had.

Archived