Can’t Eat Another Vegetable

I’m on day 6 of my first Whole30. Ate fairly healthy b/4 but had a serious sugar dragon. Have had a fairly easy time of it so far -- missing my sugar, but doing okay and enjoying the food. But yesterday I could not look at another vegetable -- not spag squash, not cauliflower or broccoli or sweet potato or spinach. I had to force myself to eat veggies with dinner. Is this normal? It concerned me b/c I’m afraid I won’t be able to stick with the program long term if I’m already sick of veggies on day 6.

Guest Andria

Yup, totally normal.  I have taken a long hiatus from broccoli because, bleh.  Please experiment with different vegetables, spices, marinades, dipping sauces and cooking methods.  

Examples:

Roast vegetables: makes most vegetables crisper and sweeter 

Sunshine Sauce:  http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/

Marinade:  balsamic vinegar and evoo  or coconut aminos/toasted sesame oil/rice vinegar/garlic/ginger

Hide veggies in sauces

• Moderators

Most people experience some food boredom at some point in their whole30 where nothing really sounds good -- you may have a little of that going on.

Do your best to eat normal meals, and maybe look for some recipes and see if you can find something that sounds appealing. The Clothes Make The Girl is a good site for that, her pictures make the food look appealing and the spices she uses always smell amazing while you cook, which may make you really want to eat the food.

If you don't have time right now to really look for recipes, maybe just try cooking your vegetables in a different way. If you normally steam them, try roasting them or grilling them. Or make a sauce to go over them to change up the flavor.

Just hang in there, though, this should pass in a couple of days.

Archived