Meal plans for Marathon Training

jlester14

My wife and I started whole30 (day 2).  I'm 14 weeks in on a 30 week marathon training schedule (3 run days/3 HIIT days alternating, 1 off day).  Does anyone have links to suggested meal plans?  Looking mainly for "night before" fueling options as I only have about 30 minutes to wake up and digest prior to runs.

I can already tell by reading other threads I need to up my protein/fat for pre-WO and start adding in starch post-WO.  Shouldn't be a problem as I will probably go with 3-4 hard boiled eggs pre-WO and toss in a sweep potato post-WO.

thanks in advance,

Jonathan

I don't know of any specific meal plans, but from my own experience training endurance what's important is what you eat the day before your long runs. Eat a good template meal of 1-2 palms protein, 2-3 cups veggies and 1-2 thumbs of fat.  Also make sure you're getting plenty of carby-veggies and as your training load goes up, increase them. Your last month of training you may very well be eating them at every meal, plus your post work-out meal.  Also don't be surprised if you need to eat more than the upper template amounts of protein as your body is having to do a lot of repair.

Also, just so you know, you may experience a decline in your run quality for the first 2-3 weeks as your body adapts to fat burning. It may feel like you're having to work too hard for what was an easy run in the past, or that you're running up a slight hill, through mud.  This is totally normal and it does get better.

My wife and I started whole30 (day 2).  I'm 14 weeks in on a 30 week marathon training schedule (3 run days/3 HIIT days alternating, 1 off day).  Does anyone have links to suggested meal plans?  Looking mainly for "night before" fueling options as I only have about 30 minutes to wake up and digest prior to runs.

I can already tell by reading other threads I need to up my protein/fat for pre-WO and start adding in starch post-WO.  Shouldn't be a problem as I will probably go with 3-4 hard boiled eggs pre-WO and toss in a sweep potato post-WO.

thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Check out this blog by ultrarunnergirl - she's one of the other Mods here on the forum.

As JenX has said your legs may feel like lead for the first two weeks or so, but once you become fat adapted things should really improve for you & you should be in a good place by the time your marathon comes around - just don't fear the fat!

• 11 months later...

Archived