Dried Fruit

LeeAnn1317

• Administrators

Quick question.  What are you planning to use the dried fruits for?  A condiment in cauli-rice or salads?  Because while dried fruits are technically compliant, eating them regularly in any sort of quantity does not keep with the spirit of the Whole30 program.  You'd be better off choosing fresh fruits and having 1-2 fist sized servings per day with a main meal.

As far as sourcing, you'd have to look around.  I can get compliant raisins at my grocery store but have never found dried cranberries that were compliant.  And anything you buy in the bulk section can't be trusted, unfortunately.  Often besides the added sugars, the dried fruits are coated with non compliant oils.

I'm on day 28, and no, I'm not eating this during my Whole 30.  I'm just looking down the road a few days.  And even when I'm done with the Whole 30, I don't like sweetened dried fruit (and freeze dried fruit has the wrong texture).  

I will add it to dishes (especially salads when I want something different from my usual tomatoes).  I don't eat dried fruit alone.

I think I may have found unsweetened dried cherries and blueberries from different sources where the ingredients on the labels are solely the dried fruit.  But cranberries are nearly impossible!

Thank you!

Having eaten fresh cranberries straight up, I'm not sure that unsweetened dried cranberries are something I would want to put in my mouth. For cranberries, I'd go with juice-sweetened.

I've been able to find unsweetened dried cherries at Sprouts and Walmart. I don't recall the brand name from Walmart, but it's not kept with the other dried fruits. It's kept near the bakery or produce section where they have their "healthy" and "natural" snacks. Those wouldn't be compliant for a Whole30 (no commercially prepared chips), but I like to munch on them from time-to-time. I can also usually find unsweetened raisins, figs, and sometimes apricots. Dates too, but those aren't really something I would consider using as a salad topper.

Archived