Missing pasta......well really just sauce

tanjkn3

So I tried zoodles and spaghetti squash and both have weird textures to me and just ruin the sauce, would an acceptable meal be like a serving of protein, a small bowl of sauce and some green beans or is that breaking some rule? The sauce would have onions, garlic and ground beef in it(and various spices)

• Administrators

Oh, sauce!  Put it on whatever you want!  Or make it really chunky and eat it out of a bowl like a psuedo soup/chili.  I quite dislike zoodles and I really dislike spaghetti squash in general so I would never put those under sauce.  

Check out this awesome thread that should give you tonnes of ideas!  

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/24307-what-do-i-put-my-whole30-compliant-spaghetti-sauce-on/

Green beans and tomato sauce sounds amazing. My husband's grandmother likes to eat her pasta sauce over a bowl of steamed broccoli and cauliflower. (Pretty sure she uses the frozen Cali mix vegetables.)

For  marinara-type sauces, I like pouring them over chicken or fish.

I'm Italian and was brought up make sauce every August with my folks. Personally, I can stand over a pot and just about drink it.  I believe that sauce is a vehicle for french bread or meat balls and since I havent dont the bread thing in a little over a year I stick to meat balls.

I just did it over the weekend in fact. I made a batch of Italian meatballs from Well Fed,  which I have to say passed my test for yummy, and then I made a small batch of sauce. I added the meadballs and some leftover Italian pork roast and voila. It was delicious. I did have it over spaghetti squash cause I dont have a problem with it as long as it's not over cooked.My squash hating husband ate it and had seconds.

I do have to say I'm not as happy with my spaghetti squash this week /heavy sigh, but I wont waste it. 

I have in the past made "zoodles" out of carrots.. so I guess it should be called "Coodles". However you have to be careful. I BARELY blanch them and they are still delish, but I worry any longer and they would become Mush. 

I love sauce too.  I usually cook up about 2 lbs of grass fed organic ground beef in a pan, along with mushrooms and sometimes peppers and/or onions.  Once it's cooked, I add the sauce and some black olives and let it simmer.  Then I have it for various meals throughout the week, either with some additional veggies on the side, or over the zoodles or spaghetti squash (this might help mask the issue you have with the texture of these noodles).  

Sometimes I add half an avocado to the meat as well after I have reheated it and I like how that tastes.  

I love sauce. Today i had leftover sauce with my morning scramble. I also miss pasta sometimes but love spaghetti squash. 

Yesterdays sauce include fresh tomatoes with the canned and I added chili pepper flakes and it was really excellent if I do say so myself. 

• Moderators

I'm another vote for putting it in a bowl and eating it with a spoon. I make a super chunky, meat filled pasta sauce and I eat it like stew. I also use the same recipe and then I put the world's supply of chili powder in and make what I like to call 'mexican pasta sauce'... basically chili.

Sometimes I do put it over sauteed kale, which is very good... a nice hearty, woodsy tasting dark green with the pasta sauce on top is really good! Altho, I don't call it pasta sauce... I call it Squasha sauce... ;)

Archived