meat fatigue (two questions)

janer1114

First, I've been eating some amazing foods and really enjoy the process so far - I'm on end of Day 18.  

I just made a tomato based sauce with ground turkey to eat over spaghetti squash.  The sauce wasn't very flavorful and the ground turkey had a really strong taste.  My first question is - does ground turkey usually have a strong taste or was I eating bad ground turkey? Last time I made it, I don't remember it being so memorable....but, perhaps I wasn't paying attention.  The sell by date isn't until 8/17 and I only bought it 3 days ago. It's been in my fridge since I bought it.  

So, this was possibly the first dish I made on my whole30 that I didn't really enjoy.  Normally, before Whole30, if I was making a tomato sauce I would not have added meat.  I would have had it just with pasta and maybe a little cheese.  When I was a little turned off by the meal I made I thought of this and started to feel a little tired of meat all together...

Does anyone take a break, even for just a meal, from eating animal protein? What other options are there? I haven't read about what vegetarians do on whole30, because I am not one, but what will happen if I have a vegetarian meal every now and then?

• Administrators

Turkey doesn't generally have a strong taste but I've been known to really "notice" turkey in a sauce from time to time.

If you are doing the Whole30 omnivore edition, taking a vegetarian meal with plant protein or dairy is not compliant.

How are you with eggs? Seafood? Sometimes some shellfish or a nice cod en papilliote is a good change from what can feel like heavier meats.

your body needs protein, so every meal without it is a compromise.  To me, ground turkey is pretty bland, so yes, it could be possible there is something wrong with this particular dish. 

For future meals you might want to check out the tips for the "meat averse" here: http://whole9life.com/2011/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged/

Also, out of left field, but is there any chance you might be pregnant? Pregnant people often have an enhanced sense of smell and also an aversion to meat.

I don't eat ground turkey for the reasons you've described.  I also know if the package has been opened, when it hits the open air,  it spoils faster because of being ground.  Any ground meat spoils faster than a steak or a roast.   Turkey or poultry, as you probably already know...has to be handled with extra care.

Therefore,  I don't eat ground turkey.

I don't ever take a break from proteins.  Beef, fish, whole chickens or roasted turkeys, bison, wild game, etc.

It's the one food group I cannot live without.   Protein, vegetables and fats.  The trifecta of a Whole 30. They're the healers of the pancreas, heart, liver, kidneys, brain and gut.  I suggest homemade Bone Broth for soothing the stomach/digestive tract, too.   

DSC_0509.0.jpg

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4927 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA
If you want to read a good book, read The Perfect Health Diet, 2nd edition by the Doctors Jaminet. The problem is not excess protein being converted to glucose. You would die if your body ran out of glucose, by the way. The problem is excess protein being converted to enough ammonia to be toxic. According to the Perfect Health Diet, the ideal range of protein is between 1/2 and 1.5 pounds per day. If you follow the Whole9 meal-template and eat a portion of meat as big as the palm of your hand at least three times per day, you will be eating well within the ideal protein range. In fact, you could eat two palm-size portion of meat three times per day and be eating well within the ideal range. The chapter on protein in PHD has a lot more interesting stuff, but this is the practical "meat" of the narrative. Another by the way, it is difficult to eat too much protein when you are eating real food. You can eat too much protein powder easily, but chewing real food takes enough time that most people will stop before they go too far.

The recommendations of the Whole9 meal template put you inside the ideal range for all the macro-nutrients. However, missing a gall bladder may make digesting the ideal human diet challenging for you. The idea of using digestive enzymes to help sounds good to me, but you probably need to talk with a knowledgeable doctor about such things. I say knowledgeable because some doctors may tell you to eat lower fat even if you would be better off getting 50 percent of your calories from fat and taking digestive enzymes to help with digestion. I would tell anyone with a gall bladder to follow the plan as outlined, but I don't know if being without a gall bladder calls for adjustments in what you eat.

One of the things I really like about the Perfect Health Diet is its discussion of an ideal range for what we eat. Obviously we can eat too much of some foods, but we can also eat too little of some foods and cause trouble too. So when you ask if you should eat less of something, I would have to say, "Less in reference to what?" You can eat too few carbs, too little fat, and too little protein. 

I change up my proteins at almost every meal -- tuna salad for breakfast, egg salad, pork, beef, bison, elk, venison ( I can get it locally just really $$ so I don't have them very often) duck, chicken, whole roast turkey or at least whole parts, seafood.... Maybe changing up your protein choices and how you prepare them to shake things up a bit? 

Archived