Just finished my first Whole30!

Brookelh

Today is day 31! I have an immense sense of accomplishment, knowing I did something hard. I was bragging a bit to my family last night, because I didn't get rid of all the prohibited foods in my house and still did it! (My husband and teenage children did not join me on this quest and still wanted goodies.)

I found Whole30 by seeing the book at Costco, and a brief reading there made me curious. I bought and read ISWF, and the ideas resonated with me. I am always suspicious of "sciency" stuff about nutrition because it is so often contradictory, but the idea of doing a controlled experiment on my own body seemed very sensible.

I started mostly following the meal templates and rules about 3 weeks before Day 1, and that worked really well for me. It gave me time to shop for needed ingredients, try out some recipes, learn to make mayo, etc. I had a special event that I wanted to eat at, so I planned to start after that. I am a teacher, so summer is a perfect time to do a Whole30, as I do have more time to cook and meal plan. The challenge will be continuing to eat well after school begins!

First, successes: I primarily did this because I struggle with blood sugar issues. I am pre-diabetic, and I had been gaining weight that I couldn't seem to shift. I didn't like the weight, but it worried me more because weight gain usually means blood sugar issues. Though I don't check my blood sugar, on the Whole30 I felt like it was more regulated than I have ever experienced. As I tell everyone, I get hungry now but not sick-hungry. I am not shaky, light-headed, nauseous, or grouchy. This is huge for me! I love only having to eat 3 times a day. It is tremendously freeing not to have to think of food every 3 hours.

I can wear pants that wouldn't even think of buttoning before. I lost 7 lbs. during the 30 days and 4 lbs. before I officially started, for a total of 11 this summer. I have 5 more to hit my target weight. I no longer have bloating, gas, or heartburn. My skin looks great and I feel energetic. So all my objectives were met and exceeded.

Things I learned:

Bacon definitely helps. I found some at Whole Foods before I began, and I rationed out the three packages to last the whole 30 days. It just adds a tasty component to breakfast!

There are only a few things I am eager to add to my diet: butter for cooking, milk in my tea, sausage with less than 2% sugar, cheese in small amounts, and eating out without worrying. Oh, and tortilla chips for the last few bites of guacamole in the bowl.

I had a difficult time finding a dressing that I liked for Cole Slaw, which was frustrating because I needed to eat veggies and I love Cole Slaw. Finally settled on the ranch dressing from The Whole30 with toasted coconut from Well Fed on top to give the sweet bit that Cole Slaw needs. Yum!

The Well Fed cookbooks are awesome! I got them on Kindle for $2.99 each, and it was a great investment. If you don't find that great of a deal, I recommend getting the first one and using it for several months so you know which recipes are in it, THEN buy the second. I spend a lot of time looking in both books for the recipe I am looking for. Haha.

I found that I often eat unhealthy foods because I am lazy, not because I don't like healthy foods. Yogurt, peanut butter, protein bars, and cheese fall into this category. I was using them for protein sources because I hadn't planned for meat. I expected to desperately want them back, but I don't need them when I eat a template meal.

To summarize: I am incredibly grateful for what the Whole30 has taught me. I am looking forward to continuing this learning journey through the reintroduction phase, and I am hopeful that I have finally found a sustainable and permanent lifestyle for my optimal health.

Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS!  and extra kudos for sticking with it the whole 30 days with non-compliant foods in the house.

Secondly, as to your coleslaw dilemma, may I pimp my own recipe?  I have the same issue - I like a coleslaw dressing to be sweet and tangy and this one really works IMO. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/29218-deliciously-creamy-coleslaw/

I've been making it with 1/2 a head of cabbage and a grated carrot per batch every week since I first put it together.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!  I hope to write a similar post when I finish my 30 days.

As far as cole slaw --- this is how I make mine (well before I ever heard of WHOLE 30)

Shredded Cabbage, thinly sliced onion and julienned carrots and for the dressing/sauce whatever you want to call it -- just mayo, wine or rice vinegar and a little horseradish (the white) (I don't know if that is compliant - anybody???) or garlic powder. 

But back to your success...you are an inspiration to all of us.

Yay! Congratulations! This is really encouraging to me, I'm on day 6 of my first round, and feeling pretty great already. Double kudos for sticking it out even without a pared-down pantry. My husband is a junk food addict and I thought this would be a major problem, but I find already that my cravings are minimized! It sounds weird, but it really takes NO willpower for me to avoid diving into his cookies, etc :)

Archived