Coffee Sugar Dragon

MrsMarks

I have been craving my latte since I started (I am on day 4)

So.. against the rules I tried to feed my Coffee Sugar Dragon with just an americano with compliant almond milk.. one big swig and YUCK!

Can't. Do. Unsweetened. Coffee.

I am a wussy. I suppose that is one way to kick the craving. lol. 

I did however find that La Croix sparkling water is a great way to throw a spin on water for my lunch.

I will look forward to that. :) 

• Administrators

Hi MrsMarks,

This is definitely a common issue with folks first coming to Whole30 so rest assured, you aren't alone.  One of the most common suggestions is to get/drink better coffee.  Since you said "americano" I am assuming you went to Starbucks?  Their coffee is...er....harsh, you might try finding a more mellow roast and brewing at home?

Here's one thread that has lots of suggestions in it, for more threads or ideas just google "Whole30 coffee"

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12755-coffee-for-your-whole-30-how-to-make-it-if-youre-used-to-using-dairy/

I have to whole heartedly agree with Ladyshanny.  I like the idea of Starbucks but their coffee always tastes very burnt and bitter to me. We have a Keurig and I only drink a cup or two of coffee a week if that (I'm really a loose leaf tea drinker) and before Whole30 I really loved it with my Italian Sweet Cream creamer.  I learned a long time ago that I could totally enjoy a cup with just some cream, especially after dinner with something sweet. This morning I'm finishing my M1 and I have to say my cup of Newman's Own with coconut cream plays beautifully off off the sweetness of the sauteed onions in my pork and cabbage stirfry. It's kinda wierd I know but it's yummy.

My husband who is learning that everything doesn't have to be sweet has actually started drinking his coffee black.  I told him that if he couldnt at least try that than he didnt really like coffee, just the sweet coffee concoctoins. He's been trying different types of coffee because he's not fond of the heavy bitter blends and I think he's settled on the Starbucks Breakfast Blend as well as the Green Mountain Breakfast blends. He says they are "softer" in flavor to him. He's also just placed an order for some sort of sampler from Peets Coffee so we'll see how that works out.

I say try some of the better coffee's out there if you have an opportunity. I'd even ask people that go out to breakfast who they think serve the best coffee and see if you could buy some from them. 

Hi MrsMarks,

This is definitely a common issue with folks first coming to Whole30 so rest assured, you aren't alone.  One of the most common suggestions is to get/drink better coffee.  Since you said "americano" I am assuming you went to Starbucks?  Their coffee is...er....harsh, you might try finding a more mellow roast and brewing at home?

Here's one thread that has lots of suggestions in it, for more threads or ideas just google "Whole30 coffee"

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12755-coffee-for-your-whole-30-how-to-make-it-if-youre-used-to-using-dairy/

Thanks for the suggestion! 

I actually went to a local coffee shop (Its the best in town) and had their typical espresso brew.. but maybe I can try a more mellow coffee to make at home.. 

Thanks for the link! I will be trying a few more options before I give up the coffee all together. :)

• Moderators

A lot of people find Cold Brew to be much more mellow and palatable, especially when drinking it black.  It's very easy to make it at home... 1/4 of coffee grounds in a French Press, cold water, let sit for 24 hours and then strain into a serving pitcher.

Lots of higher end coffee places (I don't consider Starbucks higher end) brew Cold Brew in the summer for the same price as regular coffee so it might be worth it to ask at the local coffee shop (especially if it's the best in town).  They may have it and not advertise it.

For those less in the coffee know that might come across the thread... cold brew is not 'iced coffee'.  It's coffee grounds brewed over a longer period of time using cold water. It makes for less acidic and bitter coffee and allows the flavors to mature and come out better. 

• Administrators

A lot of people find Cold Brew to be much more mellow and palatable, especially when drinking it black.  It's very easy to make it at home... 1/4 of coffee grounds in a French Press, cold water, let sit for 24 hours and then strain into a serving pitcher.

Lots of higher end coffee places (I don't consider Starbucks higher end) brew Cold Brew in the summer for the same price as regular coffee so it might be worth it to ask at the local coffee shop (especially if it's the best in town).  They may have it and not advertise it.

For those less in the coffee know that might come across the thread... cold brew is not 'iced coffee'.  It's coffee grounds brewed over a longer period of time using cold water. It makes for less acidic and bitter coffee and allows the flavors to mature and come out better. 

That creates a "concentrate" of sorts that you then add water to, right? So you could reasonably do the cold brew and then add hot water to it if you wanted a hot coffee?

• Moderators

That creates a "concentrate" of sorts that you then add water to, right? So you could reasonably do the cold brew and then add hot water to it if you wanted a hot coffee?

They say so, but when I've done it I've never gotten it strong enough to be a concentrate... I usually just drank it straight up with coconut milk.

Definitely a person could try adding a splash of hot water!

Would you recommend a coffee shop for cold brew in Vancouver?

• Moderators

Would you recommend a coffee shop for cold brew in Vancouver?

Here's an article from this year's VancityBuzz that lists some good cold brew... they dont' mention WholeFoods but they're not really a 'coffee shop'

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/05/guide-best-cold-brew-coffee-vancouver/

I can vouch for Saltspring and Revolver as being excellent coffee shops with fantastic coffee in general.  Haven't tried their colds yet but I bet they'd be delicious!

Oh!  Thats a nice walk tho!  

Girl!  Rocanini (on the list of that link) is like a half block from you!  Try that out!  The write up says they have a 'sophisticated process'.  If you do, report back ;)

Actually right across the street from me, I can see their front door from my window. All this talk and I just had to go and get a cup. It is the first time trying cold brew for me, I think it tastes pretty good! $4 for 14oz. I will have to try some other brands to compare. It tastes strong but not bitter, a little chocolatey.

I read a trick to put a pinch of salt in with the grounds to cut the bitterness. I have tried it and it seemed to work. I use coconut milk, but it's not as sweet and creamy as  1/2 and 1/2. I never put sugar in my coffee, so I guess the 1/2 and 1/2 was sweetening it.

• Moderators

I read a trick to put a pinch of salt in with the grounds to cut the bitterness. I have tried it and it seemed to work. I use coconut milk, but it's not as sweet and creamy as  1/2 and 1/2. I never put sugar in my coffee, so I guess the 1/2 and 1/2 was sweetening it.

Yep, I learned this from my grandma! I actually forgot all about it until you just said so!

Whole Foods on Cambie and 8th!  They make the best one!

Tried it today, very good and very reasonably priced.  It tasted different than Rocanini, more fruity taste.  I also picked up Blue Jamaican concentrate to try that they sell in a bottle. The article you posted mentioned that this one is very good and very low acid, so I will let you know how that one compares. I think I found a new way of drinking coffee which should be a lot easier on my stomach, thanks again!

• Moderators

I really love their cold brew and they charge the same as regular brewed coffee, which is unusual because it actually takes substantially more grinds to make cold brew.  I haven't looked at their pre bottled stuff but I'll check next time I'm in there!

Glad you found something that will work for you!

I drank creamer/sweetened coffee for over 11 years before quitting it and going back to black in April. (I drank black coffee for years before the creamer.) And right now the the Americano is wonderful to me, and I sprinkle cinnamon on top (no sugar in it). However, I still miss my skinny lattes now and then. ;-)

Archived