Is my body telling me AIP

Evening all - 

Looking for advice, support, guidance (and I could actually use a hug)

I am on day 12 of my first Whole 30. It is going much better than expected, energy level good, sleep good, very minimal cravings, enjoying cooking...except...my inflammation from my AS is here with a vengeance  :(

Aside from my AS, I started whole30 to help with my migraines,  hives, and infertility. I have never been able to get any of my Doctor's to admit that any or all of my conditions could be remotely food related (shocking), but it is the only thing that makes sense. Migraines? "We don't know what is causing it". Infertility? "Everything looks fine". Hives? "must be stress". No real concrete answers, so I have taken matters into my own hands.

As you can imagine, my intake of eggs, tomatoes, peppers and ghee has increased significantly since starting he program. For the last few days, my inflammation (I get it in my chest) has been off the chart. Now, I don't know for sure that it is tied to these foods, but I have this nagging feeling that it is. Looking at the AIP shopping list nearly has me in tears. I know I am being dramatic, but it took me so long to talk myself into a whole 30, and the thought of being even more restrictive is hard to wrap my head around. I know, I know, it could be much worse and I should just suck it up..

Anyway, poking around the forums it seems that I should finish up my whole 30 without any AIP mods. Then, maybe start AIP and see if it helps? Or, am I overreacting? I did order "The Paleo Approach" so I can learn more of the science behind AIP.

• Administrators

Anyway, poking around the forums it seems that I should finish up my whole 30 without any AIP mods. Then, maybe start AIP and see if it helps? Or, am I overreacting? I did order "The Paleo Approach" so I can learn more of the science behind AIP.

Not sure what "AS" is?

Yes, this is correct, finish your Whole30 without actually going AIP.  Feel free to reduce eggs, peppers, onions etc as you see fit, no sense overloading your system.  The Whole30 itself is naturally anti-inflammatory so it is reasonable that since you are less than half the way through, that you are going to start to see improvement by the end.

If you don't, don't despair.  If you have to do AIP protocol it's only 30-60 days...then you get to start adding things back and see what bothers you.  For many people it's just one or two things that they have to leave off but you do have to make a perfectly clean slate before you start that.  So yes, 30-60 days on the AIP list is probably brutal.........but is it worth potentially determining some causes and then feeling better forever? :)

Hi There,

I totally get you - totally.  But I'm going to try to help you put things in perspective.

I have multiple AI conditions - mostly are skin issues, but I also have symptoms of joint inflammation as well.  I also have issues with IBS.  So low FODMAP as well.  So that means I am pretty limited.  But I am okay with this.

Why I am okay with this?

Because my ever so long standing eczema has cleared up. (I've had it since the age of 5.  I am now 39)

I no longer live in pain and discomfort. (I have Chondramalacia patella - basically a condition where the cartilage in my knees are worn very badly in some areas and it was causing a good deal of pain and discomfort)

My stomach is calm and no longer constantly bloated.

I fought with the idea of going AIP for a long time.  But then I realized eliminating foods to make me live a pain free life was worth it.  

Does it mean I completely stay away from nuts, nightshades, and eggs?  No.  I still have eggs very occasionally, and I still have homemade mayo.  Nuts I have never actually enjoyed that much, but I do enjoy using nutbutters in sauces, dips etc.  So they are used in limited quantities only.

Tomatoes, peppers and eggplants - I don't eat eggplant at all, tomatoes and peppers I will only eat cooked with no skins.  

Potatoes - I still eat regularly they must be peeled.

Not sure what "AS" is?

Yes, this is correct, finish your Whole30 without actually going AIP.  Feel free to reduce eggs, peppers, onions etc as you see fit, no sense overloading your system.  The Whole30 itself is naturally anti-inflammatory so it is reasonable that since you are less than half the way through, that you are going to start to see improvement by the end.

If you don't, don't despair.  If you have to do AIP protocol it's only 30-60 days...then you get to start adding things back and see what bothers you.  For many people it's just one or two things that they have to leave off but you do have to make a perfectly clean slate before you start that.  So yes, 30-60 days on the AIP list is probably brutal.........but is it worth potentially determining some causes and then feeling better forever? :)

Thank you! AS is Aknylosing Spondylitis

The thing with Whole30/AIP is that it still contains quite some starchy foods and overall allergenic foods (such as eggs and nigthshades as you've already mentioned).

Now,I don't have AS (I've been diagnosed with MS) but there's this closed FB group I'm part of that's for AS sufferers in particular and most of them have succes/seeing relief with adhering to a no-starch (NSD) or low starch diet. (apparently based on a book by Carol Sinclair)

So,you migth want to research/take that into account when you're gonna do Whole30/AIP.

In case you're interested,this is the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/470884762984762/?fref=nf

I have hashis (AI Thyroiditis) Sjorgens ( AI causes eye and mouth dryness) and possibly RA. When I did my first W30, I did the AIP version because I knew I already had a sensitivity to tomatoes (but I didn't realize the other nightshades). After 5 days, this awful pain in my elbow disappeared. I had injured it and then had tendinitis which kept getting worse. Now, I'm not allergic to eggs, but had been eating them every day because I had already given up grains. So now I avoid them as much as possible. Maybe just taper off the nightshades. I love peppers and eggplant. But I realized that after eating them I had issues. Eggplant actually turns my mouth numb. I never ate raw tomatoes because apparently I had a reaction when I was little and my mother put the fear of God in me so I never had them again. I've eating cooked tomato sauce without issue, but have mostly given that up.

W30 AIP does not contain eggs & nightshades, I did it and going by the food list eliminated all of these.

The thing with Whole30/AIP is that it still contains quite some starchy foods and overall allergenic foods (such as eggs and nigthshades as you've already mentioned).

Now,I don't have AS (I've been diagnosed with MS) but there's this closed FB group I'm part of that's for AS sufferers in particular and most of them have succes/seeing relief with adhering to a no-starch (NSD) or low starch diet. (apparently based on a book by Carol Sinclair)

So,you migth want to research/take that into account when you're gonna do Whole30/AIP.

In case you're interested,this is the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/470884762984762/?fref=nf

W30 AIP does not contain eggs & nightshades, I did it and going by the food list eliminated all of these.

Oh yes,I know it's not on the AIP list,but I thougth you were still wondering on doing it.:)

As said,in that AS Low Starch/No Starch group there are quite some people who did Whole30 too but found no relief with it,or little relief and according to them it's bc there are still a lot of starchy foods allowed. Most people with AS have this type of gene that's correlated with the Klebsiella bacteria in the gut which feeds itself mainly on lactose and starch.

They can probably explain the science behind it better than I can.;) Also there's this forum Kickas.org that has a lot of info on AS in general and diet correlated to it.

Best of Luck.

Thanks Dutchie, I have actually belonged to kickas.org for sometime but don't poke around the forums as much as I should, and I don't have a FB. I have heard of the NSD many many years ago when I was younger, but my rheumy had me convinced that that was a bunch of malarkey and that diet has nothing to do with managing AS symptoms  <_< I am older now and obviously realize that many time western medicine is wrong and you have to listen and take control of your own body. Thank all for the feedback. Over the last couple days, I am almost positive eggs are a big problem today, but on day 15 now and continuing on with Whole30!

Thanks Dutchie, I have actually belonged to kickas.org for sometime but don't poke around the forums as much as I should, and I don't have a FB. I have heard of the NSD many many years ago when I was younger, but my rheumy had me convinced that that was a bunch of malarkey and that diet has nothing to do with managing AS symptoms  <_< I am older now and obviously realize that many time western medicine is wrong and you have to listen and take control of your own body. Thank all for the feedback. Over the last couple days, I am almost positive eggs are a big problem today, but on day 15 now and continuing on with Whole30!

Oh yeah,I hear ya regarding the conventional medicine mishaps.:/

You'll probably come a long way with Whole30 also. :) .....bc as you've already noticed,your body is capable of sending messages with natural foods as in what it favours.;)

Good luck to you!:)

Archived