Flavored coffee

Jilliki

You can flavour your coffee with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, or vanilla beans - it probably works best if you can grind the spices & add them to your coffee grinds whilst it's brewing.

Any flavoured syrups are off limits.

• Moderators

I recently read a comment Melissa made on an old blog post that said as long as the coffee is flavoured but it's not got syrup or sugar/off plan ingredients, then it's fine... so the Godiva Caramel flavored ground coffee for instance would be fine. Those grinds are infused with the flavor... if they had sugar or some additive in them, they'd have to say on the label of the pack.

I agree that flavoring good quality coffee yourself with spices is probably better but sometimes a girl (or boy) just wants a fancy flavoured pot of coffee and that's okay!

Sorry to ask a silly question, but I am confused...so is flavored coffee okay or not?

I recently bought a bag of Gevalia vanilla flavored coffee and the ingredients are arabica beans, natural and artificial flavorings. That's it. No mention of sugar, syrups, extracts, or any other off plan ingredients. 

Is this drinkable or not?

• Administrators

Artifcial flavouring is not strictly ruled out on Whole30....although be aware that they can be absolutely anything made in a lab.

This coffee you reference would be fine....but not really ideal, there's got to be something out there you enjoy that has less chemicals?

• Administrators

Compelling!  Thanks for sharing those!  I detest flavored coffee, personally, it tastes like.....chemicals.

Good articles... Propylene Glycol is also in the Sierra brand of Antifreeze... FDA approved for boatloads of foods and drinks... It's considered GRAS (Generally recognized as safe)... That's just one of the reasons I don't trust anything the FDA says...

What else is in Sierra Antifreeze???  Water and SD Alcohol... You can figure out which ingredient is the antifreeze

• 2 years later...

I'm struggling with coffee - but not because I can't drink it black! This is the best thread I've found so far on the topic, so I really just wanted to clarify and make sure I'm not accidentally consuming non-compliant coffee. 

Honestly, it's the coffee ingredient lists (or lack thereof) that are giving me the hardest time. I have a Nespresso, and drink a few of the different flavors - mainly Elvazio, Adacio, Melizio and Carmelizio. I've been staying away from the last one because the ingredients are ROAST AND GROUND COFFEE WITH NATURAL CARAMEL FLAVORING AND OTHER NATURAL FLAVORINGS. 

In my numerous google searches, I cannot find anything specifically about Nespresso or even much more about any added ingredients in their coffee line and even here, it does say flavored coffees are allowed as long as there aren't added sweeteners or artificial flavors. Would something like the above be compliant because of the "natural" component of those ingredients? 

Archived