Whole Stevia Plant

JudgyCook

I am an amateur herbalist and use only ethically crafted herbs from trusted sources when making teas and medicines. I sometimes use the dried or fresh stevia plant. Is this okay on the Whole30? I mean, it IS an herb with no processing in this form? Stevia in its purest form is not sugar and actually has many health benefits.

I thought the whole point of eliminating stevia "sweetener" was because it was processed? If you are using the plant in a tea you are not really using it as a sweetener at all. I am just asking, because I tasted an actual stevia leaf from my garden once and it is not sweet at all. I thought it only turns into a sweetener once it is processed? just curious...

Here's an old thread on the same subject matter with an 'official' explanation from Robin Strathdee as to why it's out.

Thanks for the thread, I understand that stevia sweetener is not allowed but I just thought the actual herbal plant may have a different use because it doesn't taste sweet at all. I'll leave it at that, I am not interested in using the plant anyway, I just have an inquiring mind, lol.

• Moderators

Thanks for the thread, I understand that stevia sweetener is not allowed but I just thought the actual herbal plant may have a different use because it doesn't taste sweet at all. I'll leave it at that, I am not interested in using the plant anyway, I just have an inquiring mind, lol.

My guess is that no stevia of any sort is the same sort of rule as 'no vanilla extract'. I would think it would be rather unmanageabkle to start breaking down the differences between things like this so it just goes along with vanilla extract for 30 days. For those that use it in it's herbal form and not for sweetener, surely there can't be harm in removing it for 30 days. :)

Archived