Acid Reflux and high fat/high acid foods

eao249

I struggle with acid reflux and am hoping Whole30 will help with that (as well as my many other aliments!). I'm wondering, though, if I should avoid eating foods that cause it until after I finish the plan. It seems like it would be hard to avoid foods high in fat, since getting a significant amount of healthy fats into your daily meals is a key part of Whole30. I'm 4 days in and tomatoes seem to be causing me some problems, but they're such a great addition to so many dishes in so many forms (tomato sauce, salsa, etc.) that I'm hoping I don't have to do without them for the rest of the time I'm on this journey. But I will if I have to. Should I cut out foods that cause acid reflux for the full 30 days or just wait a week or so and see if I can introduce them again?

I'd be inclined to cut out any that you are aware of such as the tomatoes. You may find that you can reintroduce them further down the line but for now you want as little aggravation as possible to allow you digestive system to heal.

The foods you NEED to cut out are eliminated for the most part anyway with dairy & fried foods being off plan, and the types of fats we recommend eating here shouldn't cause you distress.

I don't know if you are a coffee drinker, but caffeine is often a culprit with acid reflux...

• 1 month later...

I had such bad reflux prior to starting the Whole30. I could not eat tomatoes, onions, garlic, drink coffee, and had to avoid many other items. I ate Tums like they were a major food group. I stopped taking Tums when I started the Whole30 (I'm sure they have sugar and any number of bad things in them). My reflux has totally disappeared. I even had tomatoes in a salad with no problem, and made the Whole30 Butternut Squash soup (onions) and again, no problem. I am not taking any medication for the reflux. I suspect perhaps dairy or something else was causing my digestive woes. 

I hope this is helpful info!

Archived