Clarification: Whole30 breakfast guidelines

Emilee89

Hey everyone

I am on day 5 of my first Whole30 and going really well so far 100% sticking to the guidelines. This morning however I just really do not want (another) cooked breakfast.

Searching the internet I've found a lot of breakfast that sound amazing containing coconut cream and fruit,

However,

Is this 100% whole30? (I don't want to deviate from the program) the guidelines say every meal needs a protein source with the rest of your plate filled with veges and occasionally fruit.

From what I see the breakfasts I'm looking at have no protein source or veges...do the guidelines not include breakfast? Or are people posting these meals not 100% doing the Whole30?

Because coconut cream and fruit for breakfast would be amazing right now!

Thanks

The meal template applies to all meals inc breakfast...1-2 palms protein, 1-3 cups veg and fat. It is also often advised to avoid fruit first thing in the morning

I'm wary of things on social media at large labelled whole30...quite a lot of the time they aren't ;(

• Moderators

For best results, all meals, including breakfast, should follow the meal template. You could have the fruit and coconut cream alongside a palm-sized portion of protein and some vegetables.

Maybe you could make something ahead of time, like Frittatas or meatballs, that would be good cold and at least save you having to cook every single morning. For vegetables, chop up some combination of jicama, zucchini, summer squash, cucumber, carrots, celery, add some toasted coconut flakes and maybe a drizzle of olive oil. I make a few days' worth at a time. Then have a bit of fruit and coconut cream with that.

• Moderators

Coconut cream and fruit is an awful choice for a snack and completely unacceptable as a meal. Most of that "amazing" stuff you see on the internet is an epic failure against the rules and guidelines of the Whole30. I can hardly stand to look at social media sites and lots of food blog because of all the bogus claims that are made. 

Part of why the Whole30 works is that we guide you to eat really healthy meals. Unfortunately, 1000s of self-proclaimed experts are available to guide you to eat dessert while calling it a Whole30. 

Thanks @britishgal =) I figured that was probably the case. I found some suggestions on the whole30 Facebook page and only one of them had a reply from the Whole30 team saying it wasn't allowed so was hoping for that slight chance!

Archived