What's the deal with low-sugar dried fruit?

rlstover1714

Hi everyone,

This is my first time ever on Whole30 (and it's also day one), so I had a question. I recently went to my local farmers market to begin buying W30 compliant foods, and I came across some "low sugar dried natural coconut flakes" at the market. Of course, I read the rules, so I know that sugar isn't allowed. However, when I asked someone at the market if there was any added sugar, they told me that there was not. So, being silly, I bought it. But now, I'm having second thoughts about it. Should I just avoid it? I will also say that the farmer's market I go to does not have a list of ingredients on their packaged in-store products, so there was no way for me to check. I also can't tell if the flakes in the bottom of the bag are coconut or sugar (and I will also so say that I am not much of a coconut either so I am not totally familiar with how sweet it should be).

Thanks!

If there's no ingredient list and you're not able to talk to the person who actually prepared and packaged the item, then I wouldn't trust it. If it were just plain coconut flake, then there's no reason to call it anything other than "coconut flake."

• Administrators

Also note that some of the people who make things for farmer's markets are inherently "alternative" so for you to say "Is there sugar in this?", they may assume you are referring to conventional white table sugar.  Meantime they coated the coconut flakes in honey and then tossed them in molasses.

The mere fact they are designated as "low sugar" means something has been done to them.  Otherwise why wouldn't they just call them "coconut flakes"?

Archived