What am I doing wrong?!

eao249

This is my 5th day on Whole30 and I'm so hungry all the time. Here's a sample of what I've been eating. FYI I have been snacking because I've been so hungry between meals. 

Today:

Breakfast - 1 egg, leftover sausage, scrambled with diced veggies in coconut oil

Snack - Apple and a handful of almonds

Lunch - Shredded brussel sprouts sauteed in olive oil with ground turkey and tomato sauce (also sauteed in olive oil) topped with 5 halved olives

Snack - hard boiled egg, 1 avocado

I had this snack about an hour and a half ago and I'm already hungry again. I know my portions could be bigger but I've been eating until I feel full but not stuffed. All my life I've only been able to eat relatively small amounts of food at a time and tend to eat throughout the day. I know Whole30 is supposed to help with this and encourages you to eat bigger meals, but I don't want to eat until I feel uncomfortably full because that's no fun. I think I could maybe have added an extra egg to my breakfast without feeling stuffed and maybe that would have made a difference for the rest of the day? I've also been drinking a lot of water, but haven't been keeping track. Maybe I should. Any advice would be helpful. Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to restrict how much I eat but I tend to fill up pretty quickly and don't want to eat until I feel uncomfortably full, which is usually what happens when I eat large meals.  

• Administrators

It's hard to tell because you aren't listing portion sizes but the mere fact that you have to snack tells us you are not eating enough (which you seem to have figured out).  Why are you counting out 5 olives?  A serving of olives for fat is a heaped open handful or even twice that.

Create yourself some larger template meals, eat evenly from them until you feel you cannot eat anymore and then pack it up and take it with you to eat from again as soon as you feel you are able to.  This will train your body to accept three meals a day.  Note also that there is a difference between eating your entire proper meal and eating until you are burstingly full.  If you are only eating until that hunger switch turns off, you're always going to under feed yourself.  Create a meal and know that it's what you need to get through the next 4-5 hours.  Maybe it'll be too big and you won't be hungry for 7 hours but maybe it's too small and you're hungry after 3.  Then you adjust.  It's easy to eat three or four bites of something just to turn that "hungry" sensor off but that doesn't give you enough food.  Keep going.....

Thanks for the advice. I do want to note that I eat until I'm full. I don't stop as soon as I'm not hungry. I stop right before the point where I know if I continue to eat I will feel uncomfortably full. I've been a small meal, all day grazer girl since I was a little kid. But your idea of preparing larger meals and packing up the food I don't eat to have later is a good one. I'll try it! (Also, I only had 5 olives instead of a heaping handful because the thought of eating a heaping handful of olives is disgusting to me. I really like olives, but a heaping handful would be way too salty for me.) 

• Administrators

Fair enough, olives can be a bit harsh sometimes. But they are a fat source so if you are not going to give yourself a full serving of them for whatever reason, you need to add another form of fat to your meal. It's what is going to keep you going longer as it is a slower digesting macro. :)

• Administrators

Does the olive oil I used to cook the veggies and the ground turkey count toward a fat serving?

Most often we say no, it doesn't, because most cooking fat stays in the pan. Don't be scared of adding a serving of extra fat to each meal, it's a critical nutrient that your body needs.

Archived