kelleyhain

Hello!!

My name is Kelley and I am 26 years old. This is my first time doing the whole thirty although I spent many years eating similarly. In 2012 I started my weight loss journey and have mostly stuck with it every since. I have lost and maintained keeping off 38 pounds. I kinda of fell off track this past spring while I was juggling work, school and wedding planning. I got married almost a month ago and am ready to get back on track and feel great again. 

I hope to connect with you guys and get some accountability and advice! I love cooking and am always looking for new recipes. 

I cant wait to start this whole 30 and see where it takes me! 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kelley,

I'm Sara.  I'm also 26.  I live in the Midwest…recently relocated here from NYC with my husband of 4 years.  I'm a personal chef… and spend anytime I'm not in the kitchen reading, watching netfilx, and jogging with my dog.  I'm starting the whole30 today, so a few days ahead of you, but we'll be mostly on the same path.  Anyway, I'm looking for a few support buddies.  I've been eating paleo-ish for a while now, but due to some health issues I really need to buckle down and see if I can make some improvements with diet.  I'm also trying to lose the weight (about 20#) I put on a couple of years ago while taking a medication.  Anyway, thats my story :)  Good luck starting on Monday!

Hi!

My name is Alex, I am 23. I finished my college volleyball this past fall and finished grad school this summer. I Also ran my first half marathon this Spring, but I am just looking to do a re-set as I have developed some bad habits, and am really struggling with my eating and body image. I generally eat healthy, but am really struggling with sweets. I am planning to start Tuesday the 18th. I have wanted to do a Whole 30 for a while and I am finally committing to one! I know I could use some support along the way! Good luck to you both! 

Hi, I'm Andrea, 35, married, mom of 2, not super active right now apart from just having moved to the country, and 20 pounds overweight. Lately, I have been eating poorly and my eczema has been killing me! I just heard about this healthy re-set eating plan yesterday and I plan to start tomorrow, 8/17. In the past, I have done 2 yrs completely no dairy as my daughter had severe allergies when born and my son is on a GF diet as a result of his wheat allergy and being on the autism spectrum. One of my biggest challenges will be sticking to the plan while my husband has usually done a lot of the cooking. We don't eat a ton of meat but lots of beans and grains so this will be challenging! I plan to jump in with some great Whole 30 recipes and will probably do most of the cooking while getting my family involved too! Let's do this ladies!!!

Hi, I'll be starting on 8/17 as well! I'm 27 and starting my last year of grad school in NYC. I've stopped and started the Whole30 six times now, so I'm hoping the seventh time will be a charm (but I need some help fighting my defeatist attitude). I've never had a problem with exercise but I can't seem to shake the sugar-binge-emotional-eating thing, and I've yet to make it past the six-day mark for the Whole30. Excited to post my struggles on here to get some support :)

@blaira: totally agree about the struggles with eating and body image.

I've always had a problem with restricting (going a few days of clean paleoish eating) and overeating when life becomes stressful. I'm hoping that whatever happens to my body composition over the course of the Whole30 (even if that means no change at all!), I'll feel better about my body simply because I know that I'm putting good stuff in it. When I eat poorly, my mind plays tricks with me and everything seems worse: my belly seems that much more bloated, my acne that much more apparent. To someone on the outside, I probably don't look noticeably different, but I FEEL worse about myself - basically, my body image issues are exaggerated when I'm in the sugar-binge-then-restrict-then-eat-sugar cycle. Here's hoping the Whole30 will help me start to break free of those issues!

I'm 26 years old and this will be my first time doing the Whole30 program. I'll be starting tomorrow (Aug. 17) and I'm super nervous. I do have an autoimmune disorder and am hoping this will help me get me on track to living a better quality of life. I LOVE sugar and I work a lot of 12 hour shifts (days, nights) so that makes me the most nervous I think! I've also never done a forum thing, it will be nice to do this together and be each other's support! I know I will most definitely need it!! :) 

I just started my first Whole30 today.  I'm hoping to reset my body and get to the root of what has caused my nightly nausea for the last 8 months as my doctors have ruled out all medical conditions.  I'm a mom of 4 boys and a teacher so life is busy and I often use that as an excuse to quit things after a week or two.  I'm really hoping to stay strong and prove to myself that I'm worth taking time for ME.  My husband and boys will not be participating in me, so I'll be juggling making two different dinners most nights.  Looking forward to supporting others and getting supported along the way!

I'm one day ahead of the 8/17 start, but thought I'd jump on here since I see so many people with things in common. I'm 30, living in the Midwest, have struggled with pretty severe eating disorder stuff over half my life and looking to push through it and find healing. I know I've working through a lot of the emotional baggage underneath, but the forces of habit and physiological effects of food have me kind of trapped. I've also surprised myself by getting back to exercising the past couple years and really enjoying it. I completed my first Olympic distance triathlon a few weeks ago and had a total blast. Whole30 seems so right for me, right now! We can do this!

ah loved reading all the replies and it seems we all have a bit in common! I am so excited to experience the whole30 and see where it takes my body. This morning as I was making my coffee I had to really refrain from using my stevia! I drink my coffee black usually with 3-4 drops of stevia so drinking it totally black is different. I also am an advocare advisor so I was drinking a serving or two of spark in the afternoon so this will be an adjustment as well ( I like caffeine if you couldn't tell) Anyways my husband is supportive of the whole30 process, but he will not be joining me this time around! Although his dinners will be whole30 compliant so he will be getting a little taste of the process. 

Do you guys meal prep for the week or what is your strategy for staying on track? Love to hear!! 

I've got a week of vacation before school starts, so I have some time to play around with meals (yeah, I'm not excited for the party to be over next year when I've graduated and have to work without summer vacation like a real adult :)). I tried to experiment this morning: I made zucchini noodles with scrambled eggs and hot sauce, and then I made some almond-crusted chicken breast for lunch. Both awesome - I think zucchini noodles will be my new "fast meal" go-to.

Anyway, once the school year starts, I don't have time to cook, so I'm going to make a lot of food on Sunday and then freeze it. In the past, I've found that even though it's kind of boring to eat the same thing every day, I'm way more likely to succeed if at least some of my weekday meals are made in advance.

--I like to make a big batch of meatballs and then roast sweet potatoes/brussel sprouts/onions/string beans. I portion them into a few meal-sized Tupperwares and throw them in the freezer. 

--Frittatas. They are the BEST because you can throw SO many veggies into them. I saute a whole bunch of veggies - onions, peppers, kale, sweet potatoes, zucchini - and then bake them with the eggs and portion into Tupperware containers. 

So excited to hear from others just starting Whole30.  This is my 3rd attempt at the program and I'm starting on August 18.  The first two times I made it through 21 days. I'm counting on making it the whole 30 days by keeping in touch with others on this journey. Let's do this!

@fboersma: Congrats on the triathlon!

I totally hear you on the emotional baggage front. One of my motivations for doing the Whole30 is to have a clear head so I can actually address my underlying emotional issues. When I'm sad or stressed about things not related to food or body image, I rely on sugar to deal - I'm definitely the girl who "allows" herself to eat the pint of ice cream after a bad date or a bad exam grade. And then after I've eaten all that sugar, I just fixate on my frustrations about food and body, instead of dealing with the underlying source of sadness. Hoping that if I stop using sugar as a reward or as an escape, I can start to untangle all the other junk! 

I'm 39 and live near Louisville, KY (originally from St. Louis).   Mom to 4 teens and a full time attorney.  I meant to start this on Saturday, but some scheduling got mixed up and so today is my start date.  I am using e-meals family paleo plan for dinner recipes (though it should be noted that some of the recipes have honey, so I will be substituting those with a Whole30 compliant recipe instead).  This will not only be my first week of Whole30, but also my first week of completely planning out dinners (with enough portions to take them to lunch each day as well), buying everything I need for each meal ahead of time and then following through with the cooking.  A little daunting, but so far, the meal I made last night (slow cooker beef bolognese with garlic mashed cauliflower) is pretty tasty!  

I am a complete sugar addict, so I know this is going to be a big struggle, but I'm hoping that eliminating it will break that addictive cycle (unlike plans that "allow" it in "moderation").  Moderation may work for some people and hey, it works for me when it comes to other things like alcohol and legumes, but sugar is my addiction, so it is seldom done in moderation when I'm the one using it.

If anyone wants to buddy up one on one for daily support, please let me know.  Accountability is so important to me.  I listened to a podcast about Whole30 this morning and it said that some people have even buddied up and made a deal that if either one of them slipped, they BOTH started over.  I would be willing to adhere to that if anyone is game.

I'm starting my 2nd Whole30 today. I did it in May and I felt great, lost almost 20lbs, lost cravings for junk, cheese, booze....then started slipping one party after another. Ive gained back 5lbs. I need to reset, so I'm doing it again. I have weight loss goals, but mostly I just like the way Whole30 seemed to correct my messed-up relationship with food. I need to get on that before it gets out of hand. My husband is doing it, too.  His sugar cravings rule over him like a beast. 

@barney123

I start back to school today WAH :( it was an exciting busy summer and cant believe school is already going back into session.

Thank you so much for the meal ideas, i'm going to have to give them a go!

I used to meal prep on sundays because I work full time and go to school full time so cooking through the week is a challenge.

This summer we bought a house to move into once we were married and it needs renovations, so i was without a functioning kitchen until last friday! So now I will go back to meal prepping what I can on Sundays. 

I am an emotional eater and sweets are my first go to, so I am ready to break the chain and work through my emotions without binging!

I started yesterday.  I'm 44 and have already done most every weight loss program out there. I've realized that no matter how much or hard I work out, I can't out work bad eating. My biggest goal is to change my relationship with food.

A few years back ('09) I lost about 70 pounds. I've put half of that back on again, so I'm not opposed to weight loss again. I need to remember my true motivations though. This will be my first time journaling too. I hate writing. At least nobody has to read my journal but me, right?

I cooked a lot yesterday. There are so many good recipes out there. I made a frittata for my breakfasts this week (it was super yummy this morning), paleo mayo, and a big batch of Mexican chicken soup that'll give me a few lunches.

I'm excited about this journey with everyone.

sandy

Hi

I'm Cindy. Started today. I did a similar elimination diet a few years ago and really benefited from it. But like so many others, went back to old habits shortly after.

I have many goals for my whole30 including better sleep and improved health on many levels.

Very fortunate to live near a 'whole foods' supermarket which has lots of great compliant hot and cold deli items to keep me on plan. Need to do some shopping and meal planning also. I live in the Bay Area - Northern California.

For lunch I had broccoli beef and grilled veggies. Very filling!

Tip: Putting black coffee over ice seems to help cut the bitterness of not having a creamer.

Here's another coffee tip.  I was always hesitant to try the dark roast coffee because I would assume that it would make it too strong.  However, the roasting process is what cuts the bitterness. 

Now, we buy dark roast coffee, but use fewer grounds when making a pot of coffee to keep it from getting too strong. 

great Idea with the dark roast coffee! I may have to give that a try! I bought kombucha at the store this morning with out reading the label because I saw kombucha on the whole30 shopping list. Went to crack it open at lunch and ready a sugar ingredient. whomp whomp whomp.  Does anyone know a brand of kombucha that is whole30 compliant? I love kombucha!

great Idea with the dark roast coffee! I may have to give that a try! I bought kombucha at the store this morning with out reading the label because I saw kombucha on the whole30 shopping list. Went to crack it open at lunch and ready a sugar ingredient. whomp whomp whomp.  Does anyone know a brand of kombucha that is whole30 compliant? I love kombucha!

Kombucha is a tricky one. When you read the ingredients, sugar used during the first fermentation IS allowed during your Whole 30 b/c it gets eaten up during that fermantation process. In that case the ingredients will read kombucha (tea, sugar).  If they use sugar during the 2nd fermentation to sweeten the end productt it will be listed outside of that parend (so like kombucha tea, blueberries, ginger, sugar, etc.)

Most varieties of GT's are compliant and I know quite a few others are as well.  You may also want to consider brewing your own. there's a sticky thread down in the recipes section that can teach you how. It's way cheaper and a lot of fun!

I am starting today - and so far so good.  Although I tend to be a night-snacker.  So my true test will be later this evening.

I am looking forward to getting my emotional eating under control.  Good news, bad news.  It doesn't really matter!  And for all the  other benefits, of course. 

So excited.  Or frexcited as Melissa Joulwan says in my Whole30 Day One email.

Hi Group

Started Aug 13 1st time around and finding it very easy. My wife and I are both doing this together where I make the

breakfast and my wife makes lunch and dinner.

My wife prepared a few meals....the trick is to make extra so that becomes the next or part of the next days meal.

For recipes besides this site you can check out Pin Interest and enter Whole 30 in the search box.....recipes and other stuff

you'll find interesting.

For us it is easier as our work days are behind us but health does not wait for us to say " ok I think I'll start looking after myself" as nobody I know carries a crystal ball and can predict tomorrow.

By what you are all doing is the first important step creating and building a solid foundation....without that everything

comes crashing down if not soon definitely later.

Now on a POSITIVE note you all sound like you're ready to put the pedal to the metal...GOOD FOR YOU.

The results WILL HAPPEN.....trust me in 5 days I have seen the results and I have 25 days left.....WOW I'm loving this and

can't wait to see the results.....2 of my meds became discontinued as of today .....I will get off all of them

I wish everyone the best of success and am here to motivate one and all

Hope my input helps

Farley

Archived