kelleyhain

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's super easy :)  I thought I ruined it from the get go when I put the onions in WAY too hot of a pan and the smoke was crazy...but it turned out just fine :)

IT CAME OUT GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT!!!!!!   I even used coconut oil :D   Like we say in our house:  "It's a keeper"  Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks LadyShanny. Thats great advice and so nicely said. I appreciate it!

Day 5 feels great! Im enjoying my "multigreen" kombucha (brand is "GTS") in lieu of my typical friday night cocktail. Feeling very proud of myself.

Hi Meg - funny you should mention tuna and h.b.eggs. I was just pulling those ingredients out of the pantry/fridge.

Kelley - i have been wanting to try the cauliflower rice. Will try this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Will also have to check out the chocolate chili courtesy of ltlfroggie :)

Happy weekend everyone!

Thanks LadyShanny. Thats great advice and so nicely said. I appreciate it!

Day 5 feels great! Im enjoying my "multigreen" kombucha (brand is "GTS") in lieu of my typical friday night cocktail. Feeling very proud of myself.

Hi Meg - funny you should mention tuna and h.b.eggs. I was just pulling those ingredients out of the pantry/fridge.

Kelley - i have been wanting to try the cauliflower rice. Will try this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Will also have to check out the chocolate chili courtesy of ltlfroggie :)

Happy weekend everyone!

The chili is delish. Ltlfroggie inspired me too made it for dinner tonight.

Hey everybody. We made it a week. Only 3.5 to go. Yoo hoo!

Made the chocolate chili tonight. Had a little bit and it was good but betting it will be better tomorrow after all the flavors have had time to blend. Very acidic and a little oily but that's because i changed up the recipe a bit and did not drain the grease after i cooked the meat with the grilled onions. I did skim some of the grease off before putting it in the fridge. My changes included only using 1lb of beef, doubling the diced tomatoes, and omitting the broth.

Printed out some instructions for making my own kombucha but not sure how my BF will handle the mama scoby growing in the kitchen. But i do love the kombucha! Will just keep paying the $3 premium at the store each day....

Made the chocolate chili tonight. Had a little bit and it was good but betting it will be better tomorrow after all the flavors have had time to blend. Very acidic and a little oily but that's because i changed up the recipe a bit and did not drain the grease after i cooked the meat with the grilled onions. I did skim some of the grease off before putting it in the fridge. My changes included only using 1lb of beef, doubling the diced tomatoes, and omitting the broth.

Printed out some instructions for making my own kombucha but not sure how my BF will handle the mama scoby growing in the kitchen. But i do love the kombucha! Will just keep paying the $3 premium at the store each day....

I wonder if more acidic due to the extra tomatoes?  Since you can't add sugar to offset it..not sure what offset's it normally though.

I always add a bit of extra salt afterwards...gives it that extra kick that it needs.  

Glad you guys all liked it!  I love that website :)

Everyone talk of chocolate chili had inspired me to make some this week! 

Day 8 today! feeling great! I had my first dining out experiences this weekend! Saturday night my aunts were in town so we went to a pizzaria. Thank fully they had a great salad bar! They didn't have a whole30 approved dressing so I asked for some olive oil and lemons and they happily supplied. Made for a great dressing! 

Then Sunday my cousins asked me to go on  a walk at the mission and out to lunch. There I made the choice to have fresh pescado ceviche. It was delicious! Whole30 isnt so bad after all :) 

Hey all. I am coming in late to the game, but I am still trying to figure out how to navigate all of the resources of Whole 30! I started on Aug 17th as well. I am definitely feeling much better than the first several days. I am bummed to figure out that after some research this morning I was not 100% compliant as I had hoped/thought. I am determined to do this fully compliant and I have been using Lara Bars as snack/supplement a few times and 100% orange juice to drink a few times to change things up and satisfy sweet cravings. Technically it sounds like this means I have broken the rules, but I REALLY do not want to start from Day One again, so I have decided to give myself grace. It wasn't an intentional cheat, but my own misunderstanding and lack of information. 

I am a 44 year old female. I have always been active and of a pretty healthy weight, but in the last six  months I have gained over 20 pounds with no change in eating or activity level. It's been incredibly frustrating and disheartening and I am praying that the Whole 30 program will reset my hormones and help give me a great jump start to get back to a weight that is healthy for me and that I can feel good about.  Looking forward to sharing this journey with others!

I made this chili last week too. I also made spaghetti squash with it so that it was more like Cincinnati Chili for those that have had that before. We just put the spaghetti squash in the bottom of the bowl and topped with the chili. It was good. I did not have compliant chicken broth on hand, so I eliminated that and added and extra can of fire roasted tomatoes and about can and a half or so of water. I used grass fed beef which has much less fat, so I did not drain it. Wondering if Cindysue used fire roasted tomatoes or just diced tomatoes? I think the fire roasted tend to be less acidic. 

Hey all. I am coming in late to the game, but I am still trying to figure out how to navigate all of the resources of Whole 30! I started on Aug 17th as well. I am definitely feeling much better than the first several days. I am bummed to figure out that after some research this morning I was not 100% compliant as I had hoped/thought. I am determined to do this fully compliant and I have been using Lara Bars as snack/supplement a few times and 100% orange juice to drink a few times to change things up and satisfy sweet cravings. Technically it sounds like this means I have broken the rules, but I REALLY do not want to start from Day One again, so I have decided to give myself grace. It wasn't an intentional cheat, but my own misunderstanding and lack of information. 

I am a 44 year old female. I have always been active and of a pretty healthy weight, but in the last six  months I have gained over 20 pounds with no change in eating or activity level. It's been incredibly frustrating and disheartening and I am praying that the Whole 30 program will reset my hormones and help give me a great jump start to get back to a weight that is healthy for me and that I can feel good about.  Looking forward to sharing this journey with others!

Welcome!

This is my second round of Whole30 (I did one 2 years ago).  Just needed to clean up what I was eating for the most part.  Yeah LaraBars are technically allowed (well if they have compliant ingredients) but best to use just as an emergency food.

OJ, probably definitely not allowed unless it is freshly squeezed from an orange!

You've got this girl!  Let us know what you are struggling with and we all are here to help!

Hello, everyone.  I hope you don't mind me jumping in!  I started on Aug. 17, but just now found this thread.  I am 49, married with 2 teenage daughters. My family is not doing the W30 with me.  I am doing it mostly for health reasons.  I am a type 1 diabetic and had to drop a medication in July which caused me to have to use more insulin.  W30 has already helped me reduce insulin!  (Insulin causes weight gain and inflammation and edema -- not good side effects!)

I just made the chocolate chili for the first time yesterday.  Yum!   I also tried the monkey salad which is really good and easy. 

Does anyone have any good suggestions for using ground beef?

I just made some good paleo Italian meatballs last night using 2 lbs of ground beef and 1 lb of ground turkey.  Super yummy!

http://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/2014/10/01/paleo-italian-meatballs/

We also make tacos (you can find plenty of paleo recipes for taco seasoning and you probably have everything in your spice cabinet already).

Hmmm...what else.  Chili, filling for stuffed peppers...

I use ground beef with Italian seasoning and add pasta sauce (you can find a few options with no added sugar that are W30 compliant in most grocery stores) and then make either spaghetti squash boats or pull the squash and make "traditional" spaghetti. You can also toss in lots of veggies like sweet peppers, onion, mushrooms to make the sauce even more flavorful.

I also tried the monkey salad which is really good and easy. 

Does anyone have any good suggestions for using ground beef?

I'm saying this in the most gentle and caring way possible: avoid monkey salad on a Whole30.  It's not the best choice, as it's fruit and fat (nuts are a fat on a Whole30).  Instead, for best results, create meals that fit the recommended meal template of protein, veggies and fat. 

As far as using ground beef, the possibilities are endless. Moderator Tom Denham has lots of options on his website

• Moderators

I know you have made your decision regarding restarting or not, and it's the right decision, but I thought I'd add a little explanation for people who may be wondering about similar situations in the future.

The Whole30 has rules, which you absolutely must follow, and then there are also recommendations, like avoiding Larabars except in emergencies, not drinking juice or having smoothies, and following the meal template -- this article has a little more about the differences. If you followed the rules and ignored every single one of the recommendations, you'd still have completed a Whole30. However, if you want to get the very best results you possibly can from your Whole30, you should do your best to follow the recommendations as well. They really do make a big difference in the quality of the results you get.

It sounds like, as long as your Larabars were compliant (they make a peanut butter flavor which would be against the no legume rule), you didn't break the rules, and you definitely wouldn't need a restart. 

Heaths12- welcome to our group!

I used grass fed as well but still feel like there was a little too much fat floating on top (80/20%).

However, it was just plain tomaoes - so next time ill go for the fire roasted. Sounds more delicious anyway. I think ill also use 14oz instead of 28oz next time.

...off to try that website link from GHChris. Thanks!

day 9 and feeling Fine! I am getting the hang now and realizing how important meal prep is! Loving all the recipes that I have found and am going to execute them this weekend for next weeks meal. 

I have gotten used to my black coffee, although I add just a little bit of coconut oil and it helps.

I literally cant explain how much better i already feel in these short 9 days. Not one stomach ache, no bloating and best of all no guilt! My face is clearer and my sleep is so much better! Win win so far! 

I'm saying this in the most gentle and caring way possible: avoid monkey salad on a Whole30.  It's not the best choice, as it's fruit and fat (nuts are a fat on a Whole30).  Instead, for best results, create meals that fit the recommended meal template of protein, veggies and fat. 

As far as using ground beef, the possibilities are endless. Moderator Tom Denham has lots of options on his website

Doesn't W30 recommend 1-2 servings of fruit a day?  If not with a meal, when (since snacks are not ideal)?

Doesn't W30 recommend 1-2 servings of fruit a day?  If not with a meal, when (since snacks are not ideal)?

The recommendation is to have fruit "occasionally", and the general guideline is up to 1-2 servings per day, but you needn't include it at all unless you want to. It should be eaten as a part of a meal, never alone or as a snack or dessert (especially if you're craving something sweet). Lastly don't let fruit push the veggies off your plate.  Veggies are much more nutritious.   I eat maybe 1 serving of fruit in a week at the most and some weeks none at all.

JenX has given you the guidelines for fruit above. In your case, as you are suffering from Diabetes, I'd suggest sticking to berries if you're opting to eat fruit at all, and maybe using them within a meal, say as a garnish in a salad - berries are great for this and are least likely to impact your blood sugars negatively.

Proteins & fats will better stabilise your blood sugar than any fruit ever will.

JenX has given you the guidelines for fruit above. In your case, as you are suffering from Diabetes, I'd suggest sticking to berries if you're opting to eat fruit at all, and maybe using them within a meal, say as a garnish in a salad - berries are great for this and are least likely to impact your blood sugars negatively.

Proteins & fats will better stabilise your blood sugar than any fruit ever will.

I actually chose to eat fruit with my dinner that night to stabalize my blood sugar.  My blood sugar was 78 when I started eating and I wasn't eating any other carbohydrate-rich foods with my meal.   I tend to have dangerously low blood sugars during the night, especially on nights when I don't eat any carbohydrates.  I have been reducing my insulin basal rates to correct this problem, but that is a long process and carbs are sometimes necessary to deal with the lows.  (I am happy to report that I have not had to use glucose tablets or other noncompliants to treat any lows since starting W30 (have used fruit on several occasions) and I have already reduced my insulin use from average of 100 units a day to 70 - not bad for a week!)

Good for you jmbcn....keep it up ....also keep monitoring your sugar especially before you sleep.....keep your doctor informed or your diabetic nurse of any changes........not a type 1 but a type 2 and I have already been told by my diabetic nurse to

discontinue 2 meds already.....my numbers continue to be great.

be well

Kelley - would love to hear what you come up with. I need to dig my cookbook out as well......

Spending A LOT of time at the whole foods salad bar. Cant beat a $6 all orbanic salad. I make my own compliant dressing and add roasted checken (also from whole foods). Finishing up my chili tonight :)

Archived