kelleyhain

Hi all, checking in late but also started Aug 17 and have been reading everyone's stories and progress. So inspiring that so many people are on the same journey!

This is my 3rd Whole 30 cycle, this time after a vacation in France (which was great, but I really kind of let go and just indulged).  My first Whole 30 was a great success, my 2nd was a real struggle (had sleep issues and not quite getting the right balance and motivation---had to do-over and buckle down.) But this time I'm feeling inspired and healthier after nearing the end of week 2. 

I went on a weight loss journey following a basic "low carb" approach in September of 2013 and after a year and a half lost 45 lbs. I gained back a couple of pounds later after a long plateau, but found the Whole 30 and decided to try it. It was hard at first to not be obsessed with the scale during the whole process, but the moderators and the other people here on the forum were great about reminding me that it was about much,much more than losing weight. It was about overall health and taking charge of it. At the end of my first Whole 30 I lost roughly around 6-8lbs but that wasn't the best thing about it. I had so many other non-scale victories, not the least of which was amazing energy, stronger performance at workouts, glowing skin (even hair!) and the irreplaceable feeling that I am in control of my own life and my own health. I also found real inspiration in the kitchen, something I didn't used to have ( having been a dedicated take-out, dine-out, drive-thru kind of busy girl for so long!).

Recently, after the vacation I put on about 6 lbs. But no regrets!  Since starting the Whole 30 again at the same time as everyone here, I've been doing relatively well, cooking healthy meals, not allowing myself to be pressured by social situations to indulge (in drinks and desserts!) and working out regularly. As prescribed by the program, I'm  NOT stepping on the scale ---but actually feeling lighter.;)

The main goal remains though, and it is  about health. Diabetes and  hypertension are unfortunately hereditary in the family  and at 44 years old, I am  on maintenance meds -- albeit,quite minimal. But I am working towards lessening that  -- and even eliminating them --- by the end of the year, through achieving my healthiest weight and fitness. My doctor has been impressed with the results of my 2 Whole 30 cycles before and encourages me to continue down this path to achieve that goal. He thinks it's not only doable but sustainable!

Hope everyone is having a good Week 2 --- here's to achieving all our goals, whatever they may be. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today starts Day 17.....Helps when there are 2 people in the same household preparing the meals. Doing great on my part, don't miss anything....not that I was before anyway but going past the half way point of this program I can definitely see positive results for myself already.....we'll see even more when I complete this in 13 more days........I could easily continue beyond the 30 days of this.....just my feeling......my glucose continues to be great....everything else too.

Have a great day everybody

Farley

Hey everyone ... I also started Aug 17, but am just now browsing the forum. I'm 30 years old, live in Florida, am married, and have two stepsons. I'm the only one in the house who's doing Whole30 (this is my first time), and for me that has been the hardest part. I really haven't craved anything (yet), but sometimes its hard when the rest of my family is eating something I really like (cheesy tater tot casserole, anyone?). 

Nonetheless, I haven't given in yet! I do feel a little better physically, although I've been tired the last couple of days. The best part though, is that I feel better about myself. I know I'm giving my body the nutrition it needs, and that makes me feel good! I've tried other "diets" before and have never been able to stick with them. This time though, I don't know what it is, but I know that I can finish these 30 days. 

All the label reading I've been doing has been rather eye-opening. I definitely plan to continue eating cleaner, less processed food even after the 30 days is over. Some of the ingredients in "food" are rather scary! I can honestly say that my eating habits will change for the long term as a result of following this program!

Day 15! Cant believe we are half way there! I will say my clothes are fitting so much better and I still feel great. Made it through the weekend strong. First time I really felt tested. My husband and I went and met my in laws who were camping for the weekend. There was chips and salsa out (which is a weakness of mine) and margaritas (another weakness) but i didn't budge nor did I feel like i needed to! 

Day 15! Cant believe we are half way there! I will say my clothes are fitting so much better and I still feel great. Made it through the weekend strong. First time I really felt tested. My husband and I went and met my in laws who were camping for the weekend. There was chips and salsa out (which is a weakness of mine) and margaritas (another weakness) but i didn't budge nor did I feel like i needed to!

Good for you!

Great job kelleyhain! I also had my first real temptation this weekend and it was non-stop! We had a tailgate party Friday night before the first HS football game, a wedding reception on Saturday night and a bridal shower on Sunday!  There were soooo many temptations but I am surprised at how it was not as hard as I'd expected. It really showed me I am truly all in for this challenge and I WILL make it all the way to Day 30.  I am so curious about my weight, I can tell my clothes feel better but not sure how much weight I may have lost. My energy level is definitely better and overall mood pretty good. From what I hear, it's down hill from here and the last two weeks are the best...hope that is true!

Halfway there!  Feeling great!

I had started a Beachbody program 5 weeks ago and I had to take measurements and pictures yesterday to submit.  I had my daughter do it all without me seeing :)  I could tell a difference though just in the way my workout shorts fit me.  They are a tighter yoga fit that I don't usually wear because I feel "bleh" in them but last night I felt like I was rocking them!

A NSV I had over the weekend was while donating platelets.  Every single time I donate, I end up having to take Tums because the calcium in my body binds to the anti-coagulant they use.  Anyhow...I didn't have to take a single one on Saturday!  I asked the nurse afterwards why she thinks that is, explaining to her that I was doing the Whole30.  She thinks it must be just that my body is running more efficiently and that it metabolized the anti-coagulant more efficiently as well so it didn't have enough time to bind to the calcium.  I'll take that!  I felt a bit better afterwards too.  Had some 100% OJ and a LaraBar instead of the cookies I normally get with chocolate milk of course ;)

Halfway there!  Feeling great!

I had started a Beachbody program 5 weeks ago and I had to take measurements and pictures yesterday to submit.  I had my daughter do it all without me seeing :)  I could tell a difference though just in the way my workout shorts fit me.  They are a tighter yoga fit that I don't usually wear because I feel "bleh" in them but last night I felt like I was rocking them!

A NSV I had over the weekend was while donating platelets.  Every single time I donate, I end up having to take Tums because the calcium in my body binds to the anti-coagulant they use.  Anyhow...I didn't have to take a single one on Saturday!  I asked the nurse afterwards why she thinks that is, explaining to her that I was doing the Whole30.  She thinks it must be just that my body is running more efficiently and that it metabolized the anti-coagulant more efficiently as well so it didn't have enough time to bind to the calcium.  I'll take that!  I felt a bit better afterwards too.  Had some 100% OJ and a LaraBar instead of the cookies I normally get with chocolate milk of course ;)

Great news ltlfroggie!

My husband and I are on day 19 and feeling great

What a great journey we are on

Day 21 with no problems.....enjoying the way this is going. No issues, glucose readings continue to be great and consistent...need to be more active to see even faster changes.........

Hope everybody else are doing as well and noticing any good positive changes........go figure that by eating real food we would and maintaining proper eating habits.....how much healthier we get.......Tell that to the food Lobbyist promoting all that garbage in the foods.......Where are the regulators......oh yeah ...eating their food.

Have fun all

Farley

Which program did you start? I need to pull my videos out. So many great ones!

I was doing T25 Beta and CIZE together one after the other.  Was a fun way to workout!  T25 is a good workout and then CIZE was just the icing on the cake, fun but made me sweat!

Now I'm following the BODathon schedule so different workouts every day most of which are on Beachbody on Demand.  In love with that because you get so much more than just your purchased programs!

1 week to go.....Day 30 next Friday......feeling great.....was a very easy transition to follow and easy to continue......will be interesting when the reintroduction of the foods omitted all this time are tasted again in a controlled time frame......not missing anything out there anyway.

Have a great long weekend......enjoy the BBQ's

Actually i think day 30 is Tuesday and the reintroduction starts Wednesday. (There was 31 days in August)

I think i will introduce legumes on Wednesday (soy milk for my morning coffee, lentil soup for lunch, hummus for a snack, and tofu thai salad for dinner). And then wine over the weekend (woo hoo!). And then dairy the following week (yogurt, cheese), then non-gluten grains (oatmeal, rice), and then finally gluten the week after that (fresh bread, yum!).

Yeah!

Day 33 went to a restaurant had grilled vegetables, a plain baked potato and a steak......followed by a black coffee. Avoided any bread.....oh yeah had a house salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar sprinkled with black pepper.

Enjoy eating this way....will introduce other food when the time comes up.

Losing weight, staying healthy and enjoying one day at a time.

My diabetic nurse is amazed at my results that told me she is going to buy the Whole 30 book.....hopefully she teaches other patients the benefits of eating this way.

Be good everybody

Farley

I had an interesting last weekend of my Whole30.  Drove 6 hours to see my daughter at college.  Usually when I drive that far, I have my trusty Mt. Dew (or Starbucks) and a big bag of peanut M&M's to keep me going.  I'm the worst at driving.  Especially when I am up at 5am to workout.

So instead I brought some cold brew coffee with a little unsweetened almond milk over ice in a cooler.  Also had some grapes, hard boiled eggs and water in the cooler.  Brought some LaraBars and cashews to snack on as needed throughout the weekend because I knew my food options would be less than perfect.

Did really well for the most part.  Yesterday morning went to the dining hall and the only protein they had was made to order eggs.  Saw him putting some butter in the pans.  Boo.  Asked him to pour out as much as he could and wipe it down...I knew he needed a little bit of something to make it not stick but I wanted the least amount possible in there.  Got 3 eggs with diced onions and salsa.  Yum.  Also had a banana. Was surprised there wasn't much else there except for grains!  Well, I think that little bit of butter pushed me over.  That or my hubby is lying about what he put in the mashed sweet potatoes we had for dinner ha!  My stomach was one big fat gas bubble last night for a good hour.  Was in the middle of Rosh Hashana services at Temple and thought I was going to die.  Thankfully none was released during services LOL.  Although probably would have made me feel tons better.

Anyhow, onward!  I know that if I wanted to follow the rules to the letter, I'd start over but I was really doing this more as a follow up to last time I did it and to clean up my eating.

Wednesday I plan on adding back in legumes (some peanuts to snack on, maybe some baked beans for lunch, hummus with veggies...can't think of any other legumes I just have to have in my life).

Saturday I'll add back in non-gluten grains (corn, oatmeal, quinoa, gluten free cookie)...

I'm going to hold off until after Yom Kippur to add back in dairy (normally would have been the day before and if my reaction last night is any indication, I don't want to feel that way all Yom Kippur when I can't eat a darn thing!) and will add in some goat cheese, lactose free cheddar cheese...

Then last the gluten.  What a fun day LOL!  I'm going to have a donut (because I can and want to see what happens!) and probably an english muffin.  We shall see what happens!

Ltlfroggie - you look way too young to have a college age daughter. Good for you!

I dont think you need to start over but its good to be aware that the liitle bit of butter may have given you an upset tummy.

Im proud of all of you and looking forward to learning my own triggers.

Cheers!

I had an interesting last weekend of my Whole30.  Drove 6 hours to see my daughter at college.  Usually when I drive that far, I have my trusty Mt. Dew (or Starbucks) and a big bag of peanut M&M's to keep me going.  I'm the worst at driving.  Especially when I am up at 5am to workout.

So instead I brought some cold brew coffee with a little unsweetened almond milk over ice in a cooler.  Also had some grapes, hard boiled eggs and water in the cooler.  Brought some LaraBars and cashews to snack on as needed throughout the weekend because I knew my food options would be less than perfect.

Did really well for the most part.  Yesterday morning went to the dining hall and the only protein they had was made to order eggs.  Saw him putting some butter in the pans.  Boo.  Asked him to pour out as much as he could and wipe it down...I knew he needed a little bit of something to make it not stick but I wanted the least amount possible in there.  Got 3 eggs with diced onions and salsa.  Yum.  Also had a banana. Was surprised there wasn't much else there except for grains!  Well, I think that little bit of butter pushed me over.  That or my hubby is lying about what he put in the mashed sweet potatoes we had for dinner ha!  My stomach was one big fat gas bubble last night for a good hour.  Was in the middle of Rosh Hashana services at Temple and thought I was going to die.  Thankfully none was released during services LOL.  Although probably would have made me feel tons better.

Anyhow, onward!  I know that if I wanted to follow the rules to the letter, I'd start over but I was really doing this more as a follow up to last time I did it and to clean up my eating.

Wednesday I plan on adding back in legumes (some peanuts to snack on, maybe some baked beans for lunch, hummus with veggies...can't think of any other legumes I just have to have in my life).

Saturday I'll add back in non-gluten grains (corn, oatmeal, quinoa, gluten free cookie)...

I'm going to hold off until after Yom Kippur to add back in dairy (normally would have been the day before and if my reaction last night is any indication, I don't want to feel that way all Yom Kippur when I can't eat a darn thing!) and will add in some goat cheese, lactose free cheddar cheese...

Then last the gluten.  What a fun day LOL!  I'm going to have a donut (because I can and want to see what happens!) and probably an english muffin.  We shall see what happens!

L'Shana Tova.....what a great way to start the New Year.

I made the chocolate chili today :D

My husband and I finished the WHOLE 30 on Friday and maintained the program.  My concern is that we have my niece's wedding Oct 18 in Delaware.  If we maintain the program up until then and "enjoy" the wedding.  I think it is going to be a major assault on our bodies.   It's just that I am NOT ready to introduce dairy (bagels, cream cheese and lox - are foods to break the fast); and gluten. 

What to do?????

Ltlfroggie - you look way too young to have a college age daughter. Good for you!

I dont think you need to start over but its good to be aware that the liitle bit of butter may have given you an upset tummy.

Im proud of all of you and looking forward to learning my own triggers.

Cheers!

Aw thanks!  I had her when I was pretty young myself (junior in high school) so it is always fun to go on campus and watch people try to figure it out.  She is in her 4th year of college which blows people away.

Yeah, if just that little bit gave me that big of an issue, no more butter for me!  I love my Kerrygold butter but I will turn it into ghee/clarified butter if needed :)

L'Shana Tova.....what a great way to start the New Year.

I made the chocolate chili today :D

My husband and I finished the WHOLE 30 on Friday and maintained the program.  My concern is that we have my niece's wedding Oct 18 in Delaware.  If we maintain the program up until then and "enjoy" the wedding.  I think it is going to be a major assault on our bodies.   It's just that I am NOT ready to introduce dairy (bagels, cream cheese and lox - are foods to break the fast); and gluten. 

What to do?????

I'm bringing these to our "break" fast.

http://balancedbites.com/2013/01/easy-recipe-apple-streusel-egg-muffins-from-practical-paleo.html

I honestly love that entire book :)  Another yummy recipe to break your fast would be http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/swirly-crustless-quiche-from-practical-paleo-53047131.

You definitely don't want to feel rotten at the wedding!  Maybe bring some snacks and/or eat beforehand and just eat what is there that will fit in your plan?  Would be hard to not have a little piece of cake though at a wedding :)

I'm bringing these to our "break" fast.

http://balancedbites.com/2013/01/easy-recipe-apple-streusel-egg-muffins-from-practical-paleo.html

I honestly love that entire book :)  Another yummy recipe to break your fast would be http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/swirly-crustless-quiche-from-practical-paleo-53047131.

You definitely don't want to feel rotten at the wedding!  Maybe bring some snacks and/or eat beforehand and just eat what is there that will fit in your plan?  Would be hard to not have a little piece of cake though at a wedding :)

Thanks for the links. The recipes look delish. I am going to have a piece of cake and think I will have the same reaction you had to the butter.

My husband and I ate at a restaurant - fully compliant. Put olive oil on the baked potato and sent the butter back.

And I agree with Cindy Sue you look great

Thanks for the links. The recipes look delish. I am going to have a piece of cake and think I will have the same reaction you had to the butter.

My husband and I ate at a restaurant - fully compliant. Put olive oil on the baked potato and sent the butter back.

And I agree with Cindy Sue you look great

Aw thanks...I use this picture for everything...you know we all have "that" picture where you just look amazing, LOL!  My sister took it while I was driving (selfie of both of us, I cropped her out for the profile pic LOL) and the lighting was just perfect and I had my hair done the day before so it was coming off of a nice "good hair day" LOL!

I've brought ghee before to a restaurant ha!  I use little containers meant for dressing.

Archived