Finding the right oil for Mayo and ratios

Zyriel

I'm having a rough time with this.

I have always found the Spectrum brand of avocado oil to be very light in flavor for cooking, just a little on the buttery side and not bitter. So I thought, that will be great for mayo. When I went to buy more, because I don't have enough, I picked up the La Tourangelle brand instead because it was a $3 cheaper. It was the difference between $10 mayo and $7 mayo.

But the mayo is terrible. It's bitter and too strong in flavor.

I see suggestions for using Light Olive Oil, but my understanding is that these a highly processed blend of bottom barrel olive oils. Not only that, but they seem to (at least mostly) be available from brands that are identified as having poor scores on their oils. Meaning there could be soy or other oils mixed in, and that the oils tend to be at least somewhat rancid. I just, feel not good about the idea of a Light Olive Oil.

So, I've already thrown money in the trash and would rather not do it again. Aside from Light Olive Oil and Avocado, what can I use that is light in flavor... and isn't going to make the mayo cost an exorbitant amount of money?

Also, anyone have experience with La Tourangelle? I liked the opaque containers but I'm feeling burned on that purchase.

Final question, most recipes call for 1 cup. How will the mayo be different if I use less oil?

• Administrators

You can mix different kinds of oils, if you want to be able to use the La Tourangelle one until it's gone, you could try a 3:1 ratio of that and melted coconut oil (I think our moderator, MissMary, does coconut oil in her mayo). You could try a macadamia nut oil but that can be quite pricey. Costco sells a compliant avocado oil that is what I use to make my mayo, do you have a costco? If you want to buy the more expensive avocado oil and stretch it further, you can also do a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio with it and regular olive oil which by itself is much too strong to make mayo with.

I wouldn't use less oil, I think the mayo would be quite eggy?

Classic mayo is 1 cup oil to 1 egg. If you want thicker mayo, add additional oil. The mayo I make is 1 1/4 cup oil ( a mix of avocado oil from costco and extra light olive oil), 1 whole egg and 1 yolk, 1/2 tsp dry mustard and salt, 1 T lemon juice and 1 T apple cider vinegar, and sometimes I change out the vinegar with brine from raw sauerkraut or fermented pickles. 

Thank you for the advice.

Wouldn't coconut oil congeal a lot in the fridge? That sounds like a very stiff mayo. Since it's not liquid at room temperature do I to warm it a bit? Does the egg and lemon need to be warmer? Coconut oil sounds complicated :D I wonder how it tastes though.

I did find the Whole30 page on Mayo in my continued searching just now: http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/

Turns out Safflower or Sunflower maybe? Do you have experience with how that tastes?

We have Costco but I'm unsure if I have an active membership right now. Is their Avocado oil mild? I'd sure love to get more of it for a reasonable price.

I love the avocado oil from costco! It is extremely mild, almost neutral in flavor and is a pale gold. I have made mayo with it alone and it is really good -- no after taste -- almost like a commercial mayo in neutrality. It comes in a dark green glass bottle and is about 32 oz for $10 when I purchased it at the beginning of the month. I personally don't care for coconut oil in mayo -- it set up really hard almost like butter. 

• Moderators

I read the book Extra Virginity and am familiar with all the concerns about what is actually in a bottle of olive oil that you purchase from the store. I still make my mayo with generic light olive oil and and happy with it. 

My everyday mayo is similar to SpinSpin's. I like white Balsamic vinegar for the acid; it adds a slight sweetness. I agree that Costco's avocado oil has a very mild flavor at a reasonable price when mixed with light olive oil.

I have tried macadamia oil: tasty, but pricey. I'm more likely to change up the spice/seasoning for different flavors.

I've tried a couple of different oil blends for my mayo. Everyday Paleo recommends walnut oil as a neutral oil. For me, a bottle would be about $8 and I would get two batches of mayo from it. I wasn't excited about that so I started doing half and half walnut oil and sunflower oil. That was a lot better cost-wise, but I wasn't crazy about the flavor (could taste the oil) and, as a I did some more reading, wasn't too excited about the nutritional profile of sunflower oil. After that I switched to a walnut oil/avocado oil blend (still 50/50). I too buy the big liter bottle of avocado oil from Costco and I love it. I can use the oil to dress a salad and it makes fantastic mayo. I've also made mayo completely from avocado oil. Not as good, but if I'm mixing other things into the mayo (like other big flavors or as a base for creamy dressing) then it's less noticeable.

When I made mayo this week, I didn't realize that I was running out of several things. I had enough walnut oil for my usual half cup, but only 1/4 cup of avocado oil. I made up the missing 1/4 cup with extra light (NOT extra virgin) olive oil and could taste the difference in the final product. I don't plan to put olive oil in my mayo again.

For the acid, I use apple cider vinegar. If I use real apple cider vinegar like Bragg's, sometimes the mayo is a touch sweet. For awhile I switched to just cheap, generic ACV for mayo-making. Lately I'm back to the Bragg's and perfectly happy with it.

I use the mayo recipe from Well Fed with a food processor and do the very slow drizzle, except I would leave my egg out to warm up to room temperature but my mayo ended up a little runnier than I would like but when I followed Well Fed instructions of breaking the egg and adding it to the lemon juice and then letting it warm up together, the mayo turned out a lot better, it was thicker and creamier.

Thank you all so much. This is all super helpful. I need to see if my Costco Membership is still active I guess. And I think I'll play with mixing oils to balance the flavors.

The safflower oil came out a bit on the nutty side, though better than the avocado oil mayo I made. I stopped noticing the nuttiness in my tuna salad after a couple bites so it'll be tolerable but I'd like to make it better next time. I dig the white balsamic idea.

I really appreciate all the feedback and experienced opinions.

Wouldn't coconut oil congeal a lot in the fridge? That sounds like a very stiff mayo. Since it's not liquid at room temperature do I to warm it a bit? Does the egg and lemon need to be warmer? Coconut oil sounds complicated :D I wonder how it tastes though.

nope. The consistency is just like regular mayo, even after chilling.

If it is cool in my kitchen I gently heat the oil to melt before I begin. I never heat the egg or apple cider vinegar. this process takes less than five minutes. not any more complicated than any other may recipe, really.

I use one whole egg and two yolks to one cup of oil and cut the coconut oil up  to half with avocado oil, so that might make a difference. Personally, switching to coconut oil was huge for me to feel good about using mayo as a fat source. I know plenty of people are happy with light olive oil, but this just seems better to me nutritionally (and it tastes great to me). Find what feels and tastes good to you.

Good to know, thank you. I plan to experiment with it. I have unrefined coconut oil and I was thinking I aught to use refined coconut oil if I'm going to put it in mayo.

My Fiance ate the tuna salad and the ranch that I made with the safflower mayo without a problem. His only complain was he wanted the ranch thicker. So me knowing what went into the mayo could be part of where I'm picking that flavor out more clearly. Or he's just really tolerant. :)

Archived