Steak Prep Suggestions?

Shawie

So it's steak night tonight... got my husband's marinated in garlic and worchester sauce. I obviously cannot do the same for mine as the ingredients in the sauce are not compliant.  Any suggestions for ribeye steak?

• Administrators

Oh, rib eye, my FAVE!

I love-ity love love Montreal Steak Spice on my rib eye but that sh*t has random and non compliant ingredients in it.  So I made my own.  I put the following ingredients in my mortar pestle and crushed them up:

rock salt

ground pepper

fennel seeds

red pepper flakes

paprika

parsley

Then I dumped it out and mixed the spices with a dash of avocado oil so that it would all stick to the steak.  Sprinkle it on, both sides, let sit until meat comes to room temperature (this avoids the cold meat seizing up when it hits the hot grill, thereby making it tough) and then bbq it hot and fast.  That's my method!  If you need someone to come over and help you eat that steak, just call, I can bring my own utensils!  ;)

• Moderators

I usually do sirloins, not ribeyes, but all I ever put on them is salt, lots of fresh ground pepper, and sometimes some garlic powder. If I want something more than that, I'm more likely to make a sauce to dip them in or to drizzle over them, like a chimichurri or Moroccan dipping sauce. I usually salt & pepper them, then let them sit at room temperature for a while before grilling.

I eat Rib-eye frequently. I like salt, pepper, a little bit of garlic powder, and just a smidge of oregano. You have to go easy on the oregano or it gets sharp.

Found that this ads some dimension but lets the steak shine through. Mmmmmm, rib-eye.

You might also dress it with a serving salt after it comes off the heat.

I also am a fan of a simple dry rub and sear. We have a wonderful meat shop in San Diego called Siesel's and they make their own seasoning (that they charge a fortune for) that is by far the best I have had on meat. It has celery salt, onion salt, garlic salt, pepper. Obviously very salty, but something with that combo is divine. And then like others said, sear first. One of the compliant sauces from the book like chimichurri would be great on top.

So it's steak night tonight... got my husband's marinated in garlic and worchester sauce. I obviously cannot do the same for mine as the ingredients in the sauce are not compliant. Any suggestions for ribeye steak?

I make ribeye a few ways.

You could add salt pepper garlic powder oil rub steak well let sit 1/2 hour preheat grill when finished pour a warmed sauce of clarified butter parsley and chopped garlic. Delish.

Also nice is cayenne, lime juice, garlic onion powders salt pepper in oil. Marinate steak 1/2 hour. Preheat hot grill to desired temp.

(This works well with flank steak over night.)

Marinate Dijon (compliant) or mustard powder, pepper, salt, oil. Grill to your liking. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

I tried the "Perfect Steak" recipe from WellFed2 and it turned out delish! It only calls for salt as a seasoning but you could add any other seasoning you want to it but I followed the recipe as is and it was great. For the leftover steak (because I always have leftovers!) I did mix up some mayo & dijon mustard together for dipping, super yummm!

Archived