Britishgal's whole52 *chocolate weakness day* another whole29 then beyond...

Britishgal

I'm on day 46 and intend in keeping going until my son is back at school before I start reintroducing. I have done 5 whole30s before but this last month (and a bit) has been a struggle health wise. Massive reactions to wheat traces have lead to drs appointments and allergy testing referrals, my long dormant arthritis (stills disease developed at 9, mostly in remission since I was 13) has flared up horribly (possible link to white potato skins which I haven't eaten in ages before last week) and I am exhausted and incredibly down. So reintroducing will be longwinded (one new food a week) and potentially very difficult.

So I am starting this to keep track.

Day 46 so far...

M1: chili (1/4 of pot of homemade with 750g beef mince, 6 sweet peppers, 4 red onions, 2 cans of chopped tomatoes and 500ml beef stock) with 1 spiralised courgette and a dollop of coconut cream mixed with lemon juice.

M2: 2 palms of roast chicken (roasted this morning with slatherings of goose fat, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs), mashed carrots with ghee and pepper and Brussels sprouts halved and fried with pancetta. Chicken roasting juices spooned from the pan over the meat and carrots as gravy.

Ill fill in my dinner later...I have a little bit of coconut milk leftover in the fridge that needs eating up soon so maybe Thai green curry with prawns, broccoli and onions...maybe ;) I don't like planning!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you ;)

M3: homemade green curry with a large handful of prawns, a small red onion, a head of broccoli (inc the stalk), 1/3 or so of a can of coconut milk, juice of 1/2 lime and green curry paste. Had intentions of making caulirice but really couldn't be arsed ;(

Currently making chicken stock with the carcass from this morning, a random carrot I missed when making mash and an onion...and a few chicken bones I'd stashed in the freezer...

Water: drunk 2L of fizzy water so far and will no doubt drinking another 500ml bottle tonight

Getting an early night. Shattered and joints achy, particularly right index finger which is swollen and unbendable...bit of a bugger when you have numerous bags of hand sewing waiting in the lounge with next week as the deadline *sigh*

Day 47:

M1: leftovers from yesterday's roast chicken (shredded chicken reheated in roasting juices, mashed carrot topped with extra ghee) with garlic fried mushrooms and red onions

M2: homemade chili in 3 large lettuce leaves with raw bell pepper strips topped with coconut cream "sour cream" and 1/2 a mashed avocado. 1 slice freshly cut pineapple

I don't eat fruit very often but I'd cut open a pineapple for my son coming home later and wanted a little bit...it was so, so sweet!! Yummy though ;)

I'm still craving chili, liver, steak, casseroles and other wintery meals (may make cottage pie with cauli mash next week) as it is not really summer weather here...don't think that's an issue though! More fat in red meat.

Dinner to follow later. I may make burgers, plonk one on a portobello mushroom and top it with the spoonful of leftover chili and the rest of the avocado...mmm...with butternut squash hash...mmm...

It's only just before 6pm but I was really hungry and I'm due next week (I always eat more the week before my period) so I've already eaten dinner!

M3: 2 homemade palm sized burgers (made with beef mince, red onion & garlic powder) on 2 grilled portobello mushrooms, topped with 2 tbsp left over chili and 1/2 a crushed avocado. 1 small sweet potato cut into wedges and baked with ghee and salt.

Have drunk more than 2L fizzy water with more for this evening.

Aching and swelling in my elbow, knees and fingers slightly better today so I'm hopeful. My knees are so swollen still though that they are double their normal size and the fingers on my right hand are noticeably bigger than those in my left! I'm tired and feel heavy and hungry but that's normal the week before my period so I'm not worried ;)

Bubbly bath and early to bed tonight I think....and full on attempts to not eat any more pineapple...

Day 48:

M1: Chicken korma made with spice paste (approved ingredients), a large handful of leftover roast chicken, a small head of broccoli, a small red onion, 8 mushrooms and 1/3ish of a can of coconut milk.

M2: 2 handfuls of king prawns stir fried in ghee, garlic and parsley with 3 cups of mixed baby leaves, 2 cups of rocket, 1/3 cucumber, a good gulg of ev olive oil over the salad and 2 tablespoons of homemade Mayo in which to dip the prawns (I poured the rest of the garlicky ghee into the mayo and stired it up...yum!). My son ate all his then nicked 2 prawns off my plate but there were still loads for me ;)

Ex sent my son back this morning with a crunchie bar (the bugger) so I made him eat it sharpish so I didn't cave into chocolaty temptation!

Elbow and knees agony when I woke up this morning but the pain had subsided within minutes once I got up and started moving. Fingers noticeably less swollen than yesterday.

M3: 1/3 of homemade cottage pie (full pie made of 500g beef mince, 2 red onions, 400g chopped carrots, 3 ladlefuls of homemade gloopy chicken stock and 2 large portabello mushrooms chopped up topped with 2 mashed cauliflowers with ghee...loads of ghee!) with 1/2 bunch of asparagus. 1/2 the pie is still left for tomorrow for both us for dinner ;)

drank almost 2L fizzy water already (6.30pm near enough) and I'm sure I'll drink another one or two 500ml bottles tonight.

Still tired and achy but certainly improving. Walked quite a bit this morning.

Saw a friend earlier I haven't seen in a about 3 weeks and she was shocked by how much weight I've lost. She's adamant it's a couple of stone...though I doubt that. I've stopped noticing to be honest and you don't see the change wearing cropped leggings, long dresses and stretchy vest tops! I haven't weighed myself in over 10 years though (when I weighed less than 7 stone...at 5'8") so I have no real idea how much I may or may not have shed. I may dig out my winter, more fitted, clothes next week and see.

This go around has never been about weight...this is about trying to heal big time as my body is breaking down before my eyes.

Early night again tonight and easy day planned for tomorrow

I've rejigged my reintro schedule to test one food a week (every Monday for almost 3 months)

14th sept chocolate (I know!!)

21st sept goat cream

28th sept goat & sheep cheese

05th oct cow cream

12th oct cow cheese

19th oct rice

26th oct corn (nachos and tortillas)

02nd nov potatoes (skins may be problematic for my joints)

09th nov oats/oatmeal (haggis...can't think of any other reason to intro these but it has to be done)

16th nov legumes...peas, broad beans and chickpeas

23rd nov soy

Edited to add oats...can't not check if can eat haggis *crosses fingers*

Down here (England) people are really funny about it...though we eat black pudding here (OMGosh...another oatmeal reason!)

My Nanna was Scottish and used to serve it and I lived north of the border for 9 years in my twenties (my ex husband was Scottish) so I loved it from an early age!!

Luckily we can get it here...macsweens...the yummy stuff ;)

Black pudding is only blood, oatmeal and spices...you eat blood in meat after all so it's not that bad! You should try it sober ;)

Day 49:

M1: 1/4 leftover cottage pie with broccoli, asparagus and mushrooms roasted in ghee (about 3 cups work of veg...I was starving this morning!)

M2: 2 handfuls of king prawns coated in garlicky home made mayo in cucumber boats (about 2/3 cucumber), a bowl full of rocket and baby leaves drizzled in ev olive oil and 5 vine large cherry type tomatoes roasted in oil.

My knees are comically swollen this morning and one of my elbows is fine, the other (my right) I can neither straighten nor fully bend...which is fun...but it doesn't feel like arthritis as the pain is in the inside of the arm, the muscles or tendons, not in the joint itself. I'm wondering if I pulled something a few days ago...my elbow only started hurting late last week, over a week after my knees and fingers swelled up. Plus I've never had arthritis in my elbows (fingers, wrists, ankles, knees, hips)

I'm off to my best friend's for coffee and a catchup this afternoon whilst our kids play but luckily she is fully aware of all eating issues so I don't have to explain anything...

So this afternoon I drank berry tea and steadfastly ignored cupcakes, cookies, biscuits and gluten free goodies I know were bought for me (bless her!). The kids enjoyed them though and it was lovely to catch up ;)

M3: rump steak fried in ghee, 1 sweet potato cut into wedges and roasted in light olive oil and salt (my son had oven chips...ingredients: potato and sunflower oil. Not ideal but he loves them and loathes sweet potato), 6 stems of tenderstem broccoli sautéed in light olive oil and garlic with a large dollop of mayo to dip in.

I bought the steak large enough to really do my son and I for 2 meals but was really hungry and feeling a little tired so ate the whole lot (need the iron...plus I'm due my period next week...that's my excuse anyway!!)

Talking about food and diet and allergies this afternoon we analysed my diet over the last 2 weeks and noticed a lot of coconut milk and cream recently, more than normal, so I may cut back on that for a week and see if that has anything to do with it. I'd try most things at this point!

Having a bath tonight to help my knees...they are still very swollen but feel looser after quite a bit of walking today. Here's hoping they are better tomorrow...my fingers are noticeably better.

Day 50:

M1: 1 large homemade scotch egg (I'm so glad I made 5...and this may well be a regular recipe!) with leftover sweet potato wedges (about 1/2 a potato), 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 bag of baby leaves tossed in ev olive oil, a handful of baby tomatoes and a dollop of mayo.

There is currently a pizza in my fridge. My nephew is coming over tonight for a sleep over with my son and I got talked into treating them! I don't even like pizza and I loath pepperoni but it still catches my eye every time I open the fridge door. I may have to cook myself something glorious for dinner to make up for cooking it for them!! Steak? King prawns? Liver? Mmmmmmm

Another scotch egg for lunch methinks ;)

M2: homemade scotch egg with 1/2 cucumber, a handful of cherry tomaties and mounds of baby leaves and rocket with ev olive oil & 1/2 mashed avocado (my lazy version of guacamole!)

M3: 1/2 rump steak (about 1.5 palms), 1 medium roast sweet potato reheated under the grill with ghee and 2 cups of asparagus & green beans sautéed in light olive oil with a dollop of mayo. I meant to have surf and turf with king prawns but forgot to cook them ;(

The pizza cooking went fine...it smelled icky to be honest. They enjoyed it though...it's a while since my son had pizza, previously his favourite

My elbow is substantially better, still a little sore but I can fully straighten it so it's on the mend I hope. My knees are less sore too if still swollen so hopefully I've seen the worst of them too. The fingers in my right hand are almost normal...you can see all the creases in the knuckles again as the skin isn't as stretched and they aren't sore at all

And my body is gearing up for that time if the month, with looser stools (sorry..tmi), twinges and little pains...but I am not nearly as bloated as normal so that is really good! Still as hungry as I always am just before it though...

;)

Update...less than an hour after writing the last post my eyes were itchy and I was up all night with them weeping ;(

I'm hoping the anti allergy pills will nip it in the bud but I may cancel our plans for today.

I really can't be around gluten it seems, not even to cook it for others...sometimes life is a bit pants.

Update...less than an hour after writing the last post my eyes were itchy and I was up all night with them weeping ;(

I'm hoping the anti allergy pills will nip it in the bud but I may cancel our plans for today.

I really can't be around gluten it seems, not even to cook it for others...sometimes life is a bit pants.

Funny I was just thinking about that as I read your post last night. Sorry to hear it seems to be so much of a problem - absolute bummer  :(

Thanks jmcbn ;) I've just had a morning nap and feel a little more alive!

I say that Hannlib...it makes me nauseous and bloaty usually but to me it's still worth it. If it did what wheat does to me though I'm not sure if be eating much of it ;(

Day 51:

M1: roast chicken reheated in frying pan in saved roasting juices and chicken fats with mushrooms, onions, chopped broccoli stalks and 1/2 a sweet potato

M2: rest of the king prawns quickly fried in ghee, garlic and parsley with a huge bowl of baby leaves and rocket tossed in ev olive oil with a dollop of Mayo mixed with the garlicky pan juices.

Not really up to cooking or eating much of anything today so have gone down the easy route this morning.

Shattered. Absolutely shattered! Got my period this afternoon so that makes sense of the tiredness over the last day it so...gave in a couple of hours ago and had a nap whilst my 7 year old watched a film.

M3: 2 grilled frozen burgers (ingredients: beef mince, onion, salt and rosemary) each topped with 1/2 a mashed avocado, 2 smallish sweet potatoes cut into wedges, tossed in light olive oil and roasted and loads of mushrooms chopped and sautéed in ghee with garlic.

Have also drank 5 500ml bottles of fizzy water with frozen lemon edges forced into the tops. I am ridiculously thirsty today so will no doubt drink more (it is only 6.30pm)

Knees sore but my right one is less swollen. Elbow sore again but I'm wondering if maybe I'm sleeping in it awkwardly as it is very odd!

I'm also a little bloated but that's to be expected at this time of the month...not nearly as much as normal though so that's good.

Lazy day food wise but I'm trying not to be too hard on myself...there's a place for burgers!!

Bubbly bath tonight (let's hope I don't get stuck it again huh?!)

my reaction to gluten is nowhere near as severe as your allergy, but I thought of you this morning. My hands are stiff and sore, my shoulder is achy, I'm beyond bloated, very uncomfortable. all from a couple of pints and some rolls yesterday. Gluten is not our friend, my friend. Not at all.

Take care!

Oh no! We can avoid the evil wheat together Jen! Hope you feel better soon xx

It makes you think how many niggles, tiredness and general not feeling great was gluten (or wheat) all along but we just didn't notice it? I used to eat tonnes of the stuff...I will always miss white crunchy bread and pasta and biscuits but they just aren't worth the pain (still mourn for them though)

Slept really well last night so I'm less tired this morning. Still have swollen knees and a dodgy elbow but I'm thinking they aren't going anywhere soon so I'll just plod on. I did debate doing some simple ballet stretches and exercises later to see if they loosen off but I'll see how I go.

Day 52:

M1: 3 fried eggs, 2 large rashers of streaky bacon and at least 3 cups of ghee sautéed mushrooms and red onions. My son requested dippy yolk fried eggs this morning so that's what we had ;)

I just treated my son to a walk to the shops as a treat. A few hundred yards.

No 7 year old should have to watch his mama frightened and unable to get out of the bath without his help and a face grimaced in pain, nor should he have to stroke her face as she cries and tell her it's going to be ok...this is so far removed from ok I don't know where to start.

So he has chocolate & lemonade and I nearly caved. What the hell kind of harm can chocolate do just now? I wish I had bought 6 bars...protein, veg and fat seem pointless just now. It all seems bloody pointless.

I'm 40 years old for gods sake. I've fought stills disease, aspergers, meningococcal septicaemia, 7 miscarriages, hyperemesis, rape, abuse and the depression that goes alongside it all.

I'm not having lunch. I can't face it.

I just want chocolate...and cake...and gin. Lots and lots of gin.

Archived