Bone broth is my kryptonite

jshizz

I have now tried twice to make broth, and failed twice and I don't know what I am doing wrong  :(

The first time I used http://www.thehonestbison.com/shop/meat/bison-broth-bones/ in a stock pot, using the recipe from the Whole30 book to a T. Only cooked for 24 hours. The broth came out extremely light, and did not turn into meat jello in the slightest. I thought maybe we didn't cook it long enough? Bison bones too lean (does that even matter)? Ended up freezing and just using for broth/stock for recipes.

Tried again this week, using beef bones this time. Cooked for 48 hours this time and got a much darker broth, but again, no meat jello!

What am I doing wrong? Every recipe I've read makes it look so simple.

If it is not turning into meat jello, I am not getting any of the good gelatinous properties of it, am I? I have AI and after whole30 need to do AIP, and I know an important staple is bone broth, I need to get it right!

Thanks for your help.

• Moderators

I would not assume your broth is missing a good supply of important nutrients.

I have gotten meat jello sometimes and gotten relatively thin stuff sometimes. I do not know why it varies.

I do have a trick to increase the chances of producing meat jello. I add 4-6 big chicken feet to the bones I am cooking. Chicken feet are rich with the stuff that makes the jello. And of course I add a splash of apple cider vinegar to help break down the bones. My local farmer gives me a sack of chicken feet every once in a while. I've never seen them sold in stores, but you can probably find them in an Asian market. 

• Administrators

Depending on how many bones to how much water, it can be hard to get it to gel. The bones also matter, the more cartiledge bones you use, the better chance of gelling. I use pork bones and pork feet (trotters) and it gels up solid 25% of the time, mild gel 50% of the time and 25% of the time it doesn't even pretend to gel. Sometimes it can be the cooking time (longer is preferrable but after a certain point the gelatin will break down), the heat you cook it at and how the animal was raised.

Keep brothing, there are SO many nutrients, minerals and benefits from broth even if it does not gel!!!!

My chicken broth is always gelatinous, but I have never gotten my beef broth to gel.  It's still delicious and nutritious.  I'll have to see if I can find some chicken feet as Tom suggests.  Also, I really like my beef broth better when I roast the bones and veggies in a 450 degree oven until nice and browned before making the broth.  Makes it nice and dark and adds a richness that I really enjoy.

My chicken broth is always gelatinous, but I have never gotten my beef broth to gel.  It's still delicious and nutritious.  I'll have to see if I can find some chicken feet as Tom suggests.  Also, I really like my beef broth better when I roast the bones and veggies in a 450 degree oven until nice and browned before making the broth.  Makes it nice and dark and adds a richness that I really enjoy.

Depending on how much water you use will also affect your gel status.  I use a pressure cooker and I can get nice gel out of almost anything but chicken breasts.  Even a nice chuck roast produces some delicious juice that cools to gel.  

• Moderators

I make mixed bone broth every time - beef, pork, lamb, chicken. I save bones in a one gallon freezer bag until I have enough and then I make broth. So it is common for me to mix chicken and beef, etc. Some people hate the very idea. I'm just trying to be efficient using what I have. 

I make mixed bone broth every time - beef, pork, lamb, chicken. I save bones in a one gallon freezer bag until I have enough and then I make broth. So it is common for me to mix chicken and beef, etc. Some people hate the very idea. I'm just trying to be efficient using what I have. 

Tom,

After saving up all those bones try roasting them before you make your broth/stock.  It’ll give a different flavor with more depth.

Archived