A friend sent me this article - what do you think?

Darien

A friend just sent me this article and said "watch out for gout!" What do you think? I see a few red flags: one, he was drinking two protein shakes a day (which might have been whey - can't tell), two, he was eating egg whites but not whole eggs, three, they recommend low fat dairy, and I KNOW that's not good.

Interesting! My husband has gout and he controls it with diet pretty much exactly like this guy. The attacks are so painful that he can't walk so he avoids them at all costs. He has had to give up all red meat, seafood and chicken as they all cause attacks. All of his protein comes from low fat dairy and beans, pretty much the polar opposite of whole 30. He has tried to reintroduce meat back in but the pain is so severe it's not worth it for him.

Such a strange disease!

That guy was eating high-protein, low-fat foods. I wonder if he also ate grains and fructose, too. Gout and arthritis are exacerbated by food opiates like gluten grains and milk proteins (casein,) and excess fructose is very bad for gout. Eating egg whites without the yolks is unhealthy. High protein/low fat is an unbalanced and dangerous way of eating. I'm surprised he didn't come down with a host of other things. I had a friend who ate this way. She ended up in the hospital for a very long time.

Primal, Paleo, and Whole30 are not high protein diets or low-fat diets, thank goodness.

• Moderators

Your chances of developing gout if you follow the Whole30 guidelines faithfully is 1 in 10 million... Honestly, I don't know exactly what your chances of developing gout are, but they are too small to spend any time worrying about it.

• 4 months later...

Gilraen -

If you have a condition in which too much animal protein can be dangerous/cause trouble, you'll know it when you hit your limit. Your body will become legitimately ill (not just constipation/diarrhea, fatigue, etc) and you will likely require medical intervention. 4-6 oz of protein, even 8-12 oz of protein per meal (1-2 palm sizes) is not excessive and will not cause you to become ill unless you have one of those conditions. Don't fret!

I get that. :) You might benefit from digestive support via a nice tea (I saw a bunch at the store today and I can't remember a single one) or some enzymes (NOW is a good brand, but I use one branded by my local health market). It can take a bit to build up the right levels of the right digestive components.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding Gout: you may want to read Dr Johnson's book http://www.fatswitchbook.com/ The Fat Switch. His research suggests that uric acid (the main cause of gout) also causes obesity, and he uses a diet very much like this only, only taking out the food items that cause high uric acid. It was very informative, and worth the purchase.

His main premise is that our bodies are acting "normally" but stuck in a winter mode (fat storage, hybernate, sluggish, low motivation to move around) basically all the things that would help us survive (assuming we still lived an "outdoorsy" lifestyle, like our ancestors: think 10,000 years ago ancestors). The trick is to do things (like this diet!) that convince our bodies its "summer" and to stop storage, and be active out in the sunshine. All the processed foods and sugars/hfcs interupt that signal to switch to "summer".

Vera

Archived