Sugar cravings

Over eating complaint foods is not cause for a re-set, but you'd need to be looking at why you found the need to indulge rather than ignore the craving.

There are about 16g of sugar in an average sized pitted medjool date (for perspective a Mars Bars has about 35g) - I'd advise against eating even one or two dates on their own, but 20? That is a lorra lorra sugar...

Yeah tell me about it! Not sure if it was actually 20 but it was a lot. I was really annoyed with myself. The first few weeks were good but all of a sudden cravings are back, I feel it in my fingers and they hang around, I was resisting it for about 4 hrs then finally snapped. Glad I don't have to start over, threw all the dates and nuts in the bin!

I know what it's like to have cravings. After over a year of whole30s and mainly good eating I still sometimes sit fighting with myself to not go out and buy bars of chocolate. But you have to not do it...it's the only way to make the cravings lessen. It is as much in your mind as it is in your diet I'm afraid. There is no magical cure.

Getting them out of the house is a good first step.

Thanks. One of the reasons I'm doing this is to stop the cravings. I never had them before but over the last year and 1/2 they have gotten worse and worse. I have problems with my hormones being unbalanced and my naturopath said this causes it. You are very right though it's a struggle ignoring it but as soon as I give in at all it's all over! And I stuff myself. I never realised how full on they can be

There is a thing called an 'extinction burst' which often happens towards the tail end of a Whole30 where the sugar dragon goes all out to get you back to the Dark Side..... give him protein & fats, not carbs & banish him from your house along with the dates & nuts. They're so not worth it.

I am so glad I checked this post out...thank you for sharing your issue COOKIE and thank you JMCBN for all that valuable information.  Especially the grams of sugar in a date vs a Mars bar.  and how to feed a sugar craving with protein and fats :)

I love this forum for the support and information.

COOKIE - hang in there

GOOD LUCK and have the BEST DAY!!!!

There is a thing called an 'extinction burst' which often happens towards the tail end of a Whole30 where the sugar dragon goes all out to get you back to the Dark Side..... give him protein & fats, not carbs & banish him from your house along with the dates & nuts. They're so not worth it.

I'd seen the references to "extinction burst" in the forums, but never read the article before today. It could've been me that wrote that letter to Melissa! It makes so much sense why I've quit three Whole 30's before this. I made it to day four, day seven, and day eight. Today I am on day thirteen, and feeling very comfortable and confident in this Whole30. 

I still sometimes sit fighting with myself to not go out and buy bars of chocolate.

One of the mantras that helps me in those moments is "If you don't buy it, you can't eat it" ... I've had packages in my hand, and saying the mantra helps me put stuff back on the shelf.

It's easier to suppress the first desire than to satisfy all of the rest.

To do that...I've used Dallas' recommendations since day one.  Protein and a Fat.  STAT.

Nuts should not be used as the primary source of fat.  I use everything else and do not go for the nut butters or nuts.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived